Lawro & DC Predictions v Bluebirds (A)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Lawro & DC Predictions v Bluebirds (A)

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:15 am

Lawro reverts to type and Merson believes Cardiff will score this week.

Lawro's guest this week Is Ched Evans best mate, Jessica Ennis-Hill

Lawro says

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45536162

Manchester City were very poor in their defeat against Lyon in the Champions League in midweek and their performance was probably more worrying than the result.

It looked like some of their players had switched off, and if any of them are coasting, they are asking for trouble.

If you don't put the hard yards in, you can be as brilliant as you like but your performance levels are 10-15% down and it is going to cost you.

I saw it happen some seasons at Liverpool after we had won the league. We rectified it after a while but every team in Manchester City's situation has to deal with it and it is why - certainly in the Premier League - teams have struggled to win the title in consecutive seasons.

As for the game, well these teams met in the FA Cup last season, when Manchester City won and Leroy Sane got clobbered by a Joe Bennett tackle.

I'd expect something similar this time, with Cardiff clattering into them in the nicest possible way and making things as hard as possible for them.

They have got to play to their strengths, because Cardiff are not going to outplay Manchester City at football, are they?

They would get torn apart if they tried although, whatever their approach, this is going to be a tough game for them because I am expecting a big reaction from City following that Lyon defeat.

Lawro's prediction: 0-2

Jessica's prediction: 1-3

Merson says

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... redictions

I remember Cardiff gave City a real run for their money at home in the FA Cup. Defeat to Lyon in the Champions League will have really dented City's confidence, Lyon could have picked them off and had four or five.

What I always find with City is that they are a frontrunner kind of team, if they hit the front they are like the Harlem Globetrotters, if they go behind their shape, everything, completely and utterly goes out of the window.

That being said I do expect them to win the game, but Cardiff will make it difficult for them from set plays, there's no doubt about that.

Cardiff have had a real go and their results haven't been for the lack of trying, they just lack a bit of guile. Hazard was the difference last week against Chelsea, and that's a compliment.

PAUL PREDICTS: 1-3

Usual ramblings from Merson, no basis for his arguments, total twit
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: Lawro & DC Predictions v Bluebirds (A)

Postby nottsblue » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:43 am

Wonderwall wrote:Lawro reverts to type and Merson believes Cardiff will score this week.

Lawro's guest this week Is Ched Evans best mate, Jessica Ennis-Hill

Lawro says

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45536162

Manchester City were very poor in their defeat against Lyon in the Champions League in midweek and their performance was probably more worrying than the result.

It looked like some of their players had switched off, and if any of them are coasting, they are asking for trouble.

If you don't put the hard yards in, you can be as brilliant as you like but your performance levels are 10-15% down and it is going to cost you.

I saw it happen some seasons at Liverpool after we had won the league. We rectified it after a while but every team in Manchester City's situation has to deal with it and it is why - certainly in the Premier League - teams have struggled to win the title in consecutive seasons.

As for the game, well these teams met in the FA Cup last season, when Manchester City won and Leroy Sane got clobbered by a Joe Bennett tackle.

I'd expect something similar this time, with Cardiff clattering into them in the nicest possible way and making things as hard as possible for them.

They have got to play to their strengths, because Cardiff are not going to outplay Manchester City at football, are they?

They would get torn apart if they tried although, whatever their approach, this is going to be a tough game for them because I am expecting a big reaction from City following that Lyon defeat.

Lawro's prediction: 0-2

Jessica's prediction: 1-3

Merson says

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... redictions

I remember Cardiff gave City a real run for their money at home in the FA Cup. Defeat to Lyon in the Champions League will have really dented City's confidence, Lyon could have picked them off and had four or five.

What I always find with City is that they are a frontrunner kind of team, if they hit the front they are like the Harlem Globetrotters, if they go behind their shape, everything, completely and utterly goes out of the window.

That being said I do expect them to win the game, but Cardiff will make it difficult for them from set plays, there's no doubt about that.

Cardiff have had a real go and their results haven't been for the lack of trying, they just lack a bit of guile. Hazard was the difference last week against Chelsea, and that's a compliment.

PAUL PREDICTS: 1-3

Usual ramblings from Merson, no basis for his arguments, total twit

Interesting from Lawro that even the dippers in the ‘80s sometimes struggled with maintaining their focus. I think both are right in that Cardiff will be a physical threat and also from set pieces. After Wednesday any old win to get back on track wil do
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby sheblue » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:56 am

Cardiff clattering us in the nicest possible way. Can't see anything nice about that shit. Hope the referee has a pair.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:22 pm

Mostly sound, apart from DC's comments about when we go behind, last season it usually spelt disaster for mediocre opposition like Cardiff (Stoke etc). Any of those scores will do though.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Return to The Maine Football forum