MotM v Cardiff

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Who's yours?

Ederson
2%
Walker
No votes
Otamendi
2%
Laporte
No votes
Delph
No votes
Fernandinho
No votes
Gundogan
67%
Bernardo Silva
17%
Sterling
4%
Sane
No votes
Aguero
6%
Mahrez
2%
Stones
No votes
Foden
No votes

Total votes : 52

Re: MotM v Cardiff

Postby nottsblue » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:20 am

From the half hour highlights show on Sky, I thought Sane looked very dangerous. Always had the beating of his man and drove the game forward. The two in the middle, Gundogan and Silva ran the show though. You can only beat what's in front of you and 5-0 away anywhere is a cracking result. Well done to all
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby craigmcfc » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:43 am

RodneyRodney wrote:Gundogan; showed COURAGE to score a CLASS goal after a vicious act of almost Keanesque thuggery that should have been a red card.

It was a fantastic goal..... But the red card incident was after, not before it.
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Mase » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:45 am

craigmcfc wrote:
RodneyRodney wrote:Gundogan; showed COURAGE to score a CLASS goal after a vicious act of almost Keanesque thuggery that should have been a red card.

It was a fantastic goal..... But the red card incident was after, not before it.

Let Gundo have his 15 minutes mate.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Outcast » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:27 am

If Gundo carries showing courage, he could be very good, I think he's recent reluctance to show up made him look very average at best. Don't doubt his talent, just needs to be more consistent and show courage. Berando is a great example, despite his natural talent, he works really hard and never shruggs off.
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby nottsblue » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:37 am

Gundo in a more advanced role, no8 or even no10, is far more effective than when he plays no5. He actually has good vision for a pass and looks to play forward in the way KDB does. He also has good crossing ability especially on dead balls.
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby mr_nool » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:10 pm

Bernardo, Gundo, Sane and Sterling were all great. I thought Sterling ran the show, especially when Kun went out and he played as a false nine.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:31 pm

nottsblue wrote:Gundo in a more advanced role, no8 or even no10, is far more effective than when he plays no5. He actually has good vision for a pass and looks to play forward in the way KDB does. He also has good crossing ability especially on dead balls.

I concur.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:08 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Gundo in a more advanced role, no8 or even no10, is far more effective than when he plays no5. He actually has good vision for a pass and looks to play forward in the way KDB does. He also has good crossing ability especially on dead balls.

I concur.

So do I but he's yet to show it against better oppo. Gundo shows his quality when he has time and space but when pressed in a combative game he has shown nothing yet. I'm really pleased for him after yesterday but bigger challenges lay ahead.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:13 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

I concur.

So do I but he's yet to show it against better oppo. Gundo shows his quality when he has time and space but when pressed in a combative game he has shown nothing yet. I'm really pleased for him after yesterday but bigger challenges lay ahead.

I also agree.
He has a habit of hiding in tougher games although I know some disagree.
I do prefer him playing further forward though and if he got a run of it there it could build his confidence.

Not sure I’d trust him yet against the likes of Liverpool. He needs a big game in the likes of that fixture.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mase » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:54 pm

Against United at home last season the first half he was class. Then when the shit hit the fan he went missing. So did half the team I hear you say - Gundo is an experienced guy that should be leading, not lead. He needed to drag the team forward with the other experienced players and he/they didn't.

I think he's capable of class performances against top teams but the whole team needs to be on. He won't ever be the standout guy.
Last edited by Mase on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:24 am

South Stand Balti wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

I concur.

That game against Barcelona when we beat them 3- 1, a goal down and it was Gundogan alongside DeBruyne that led the charge for our comeback.

The 4-3 at Anfield last season, it was Gundogan that led the way on the fightback that almost saw us come away with a point.

Spurs game at their place last season, Gundogan was one of our better players that day, the day we got back on track after a woeful week in losing the derby and twice to Liverpool.

He filled in for Fernandinho for that game( another thing we're told he can't do by his detractors) as well as at home against Chelsea and away to Arsenal, oh and our final win at Wembley last season too Gundo played at DM.

As for combatative, this game that he's the board's clear man of the match ( not mine btw) was against arguably the most combatative team in the league.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby patrickblue » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:46 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

I concur.

That game against Barcelona when we beat them 3- 1, a goal down and it was Gundogan alongside DeBruyne that led the charge for our comeback.

The 4-3 at Anfield last season, it was Gundogan that led the way on the fightback that almost saw us come away with a point.

Spurs game at their place last season, Gundogan was one of our better players that day, the day we got back on track after a woeful week in losing the derby and twice to Liverpool.

He filled in for Fernandinho for that game( another thing we're told he can't do by his detractors) as well as at home against Chelsea and away to Arsenal, oh and our final win at Wembley last season too Gundo played at DM.

As for combatative, this game that he's the board's clear man of the match ( not mine btw) was against arguably the most combatative team in the league.

Cheers FIBD I just read SSB's post, and was going to mention Barca and others, but you did a much better job than I would have.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby City64 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:56 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

I concur.

Great post pal , Gundogan would walk into any top PL side . The fact we at city have so many world class players Gundogan,s contributions get slightly overshadowed because he isn’t at that level of others in the team , still a top top class player on his day just needs to be a bit more consistent but the PL is tough very tough .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:17 pm

City64 wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

I concur.

Great post pal , Gundogan would walk into any top PL side . The fact we at city have so many world class players Gundogan,s contributions get slightly overshadowed because he isn’t at that level of others in the team , still a top top class player on his day just needs to be a bit more consistent but the PL is tough very tough .

I think he could find that consistency further forward C64.
The one thing going for him as a City player is he seems to have a good head for the game, Pep likes that. Two thingss actually, he has a good attitude, it seems.
I think he is a little slow, but the two Silvas aren't exactly lightening either. I don't fancy any of them to do Fern's job.
If Fern is missing Gundogan seems to be the only replacement and I think that weakens us.

You never know though, If he got a good confidence boosting run in the side. I still would prefer to see Kun, Sane, Sterling, 2 Silvas and Fern for the likes of the Liverpool game.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mase » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:31 pm

Who drops out to allow Gundo to play further forward consistently? Bernard? Silva? Sterling or Sanè?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:36 pm

Mase wrote:Who drops out to allow Gundo to play further forward consistently? Bernard? Silva? Sterling or Sanè?

Nobody is calling for that.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:45 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:

I think he could find that consistency further forward C64.
The one thing going for him as a City player is he seems to have a good head for the game, Pep likes that. Two thingss actually, he has a good attitude, it seems.
I think he is a little slow, but the two Silvas aren't exactly lightening either. I don't fancy any of them to do Fern's job.
If Fern is missing Gundogan seems to be the only replacement and I think that weakens us.

You never know though, If he got a good confidence boosting run in the side. I still would prefer to see Kun, Sane, Sterling, 2 Silvas and Fern for the likes of the Liverpool game.

There is no evidence to back that up though, if anything the evidence points to a consistent level of team performance when he has filled in for Fernandinho.

That said, in theory I'd agree because Fernandinho has better recovery pace and is better in one on one duals. We do need to find a solution on how we rotate Fernandinho though ( he has the most minutes of any of our outfield players so far despite being the oldest) and as things stand Gundogan seems like the best option for that.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:11 pm

Mase wrote:Who drops out to allow Gundo to play further forward consistently? Bernard? Silva? Sterling or Sanè?

Well it's a fair point from Mase FIBD and I think it's at the crux of the argument between us (fans).
I've nothing against Gundo personally but as I've stated my preferred option would be Aguero, Sane, Sterling, 2 Silvas and Fern. 4 at the back.
So that leaves Gundo as a squad player.
Pep rotates and quite obviously sees things different. He rarely drops Fern and that means dropping one of the other four, usually sane so far this season.
I think that unbalances our team as it involves moving Sterling and Bernardo around, so you expect great things form Ilkay to warrant this.

I don't want to sound like I'm picking on him individually in the team, it's just my preference on what I see as current form.
The guy played well on Saturday and he is well capable of doing that. I say for all, not just him, they have to show it every game or be replaced.
sane was crap for a couple of games and was dropped. When he got back in he's been sensational. Why drop him?

Pep's call and as long as he's getting results who are we to second guess him.
There's a big few weeks ahead though and I do not want to be 5 points behind Liverpool at the end of them, so he better get it right.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby dazby » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:52 pm

It's all about squad.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:48 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:

Well it's a fair point from Mase FIBD and I think it's at the crux of the argument between us (fans).
I've nothing against Gundo personally but as I've stated my preferred option would be Aguero, Sane, Sterling, 2 Silvas and Fern. 4 at the back.
So that leaves Gundo as a squad player.
Pep rotates and quite obviously sees things different. He rarely drops Fern and that means dropping one of the other four, usually sane so far this season.
I think that unbalances our team as it involves moving Sterling and Bernardo around, so you expect great things form Ilkay to warrant this.

I don't want to sound like I'm picking on him individually in the team, it's just my preference on what I see as current form.
The guy played well on Saturday and he is well capable of doing that. I say for all, not just him, they have to show it every game or be replaced.
sane was crap for a couple of games and was dropped. When he got back in he's been sensational. Why drop him?

Pep's call and as long as he's getting results who are we to second guess him.
There's a big few weeks ahead though and I do not want to be 5 points behind Liverpool at the end of them, so he better get it right.

How is it a fair point when nobody is calling for that consistently?

Sane wasn't dropped on account of Gundogan being in the side, Gundogan has been in the side because he's filling in for DeBruyne.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum