Why You Support City

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Why You Support City

Postby stevefromdonny » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:15 pm

well I have no one from Manchester, infact my dads family was all leeds fans as they came from Harrogate

so how did I start following city, well at my school it was leeds, Liverpool, sheff wed and Donny rovers fans mostly, I wasn't into football much apart from playing it, but 1 of my mates brother always did a scrapbook of teams, from shoot, goal and papers, he asked who I followed and apart from going to watch Doncaster I said no 1, so he give me 3 scrapbooks to look through and see who I liked the best, the scrapbooks was Chelsea everton and city, and as i liked the red and black away colours of city that was it, that was in early 1970 so i was a glory hunter then as we won the league cup final,
stevefromdonny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: any1 who plays for city

Postby City64 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:06 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
City64 wrote:
Socrates wrote:
City64 wrote:My dad was brought up in Whalley Range close to Moss side , he was blue through and through and could walk to Maine Road before he married my mam.

Did she render him unable to walk? Sorry, couldn't resist :lol:

Ha, bit too far to walk from Urmston side of Stretford to Maine Rd but they used to put match special buses on back in the day absolute quality! Can’t even get a train from Wigan the last few months , progress eh ???

Noone whinges more than you about transport !! Get a fuxking ubber or taxi you tight arse !

I lived in Romily , posh part of the world and we went to main road in a Mercedes.

Romily & Main Rd ???? you have been away offshore tax evading tooooooo long fella ! Fucking mega them match day special buses right laff back in the day . You must have been one of them posh fat spoilt cunts who had no mates and spat his dummy out every 5 minutes if mummy or daddy didn't buy you some sweets ?
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:23 pm

City64 wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
City64 wrote:
Socrates wrote:
City64 wrote:My dad was brought up in Whalley Range close to Moss side , he was blue through and through and could walk to Maine Road before he married my mam.

Ha, bit too far to walk from Urmston side of Stretford to Maine Rd but they used to put match special buses on back in the day absolute quality! Can’t even get a train from Wigan the last few months , progress eh ???

Noone whinges more than you about transport !! Get a fuxking ubber or taxi you tight arse !

I lived in Romiley , posh part of the world and we went to main road in a Mercedes.

Romily & Main Rd ???? you have been away offshore tax evading tooooooo long fella ! Fucking mega them match day special buses right laff back in the day . You must have been one of them posh fat spoilt cunts who had no mates and spat his dummy out every 5 minutes if mummy or daddy didn't buy you some sweets ?

I was never fat and everybody fuckign loved hanging out with me as I had a chipper and me brother a chopper and we threw apples off our trees over the fence at the council people (We allowed all friends to join in ....epic days) .....but I did spit the dummy out if I didn't get my bombons and sherbet dip.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby mr_nool » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:59 pm

Love this thread, but almost feel embarrassed posting my story after reading all your great ones.

I "picked" City in the 80's. There was an English game on every Saturday at 4 (we're one hour behind). Don't remember why anymore, but I do know that I always have rooted for the underdogs – especially if there are two or more teams in a city. Blues always been my favourite colour as well and Quinn (a little bit later) was a favourite player.

Still, in the 80's and most of the 90's my "support" mainly consisted of City's result and table position being the first I looked up on the Teletext or in Monday's newspaper.

From the early 00's on when I couod to go to the pub to watch games (if I were lucky and they were showing us) and later when I got internet at home and could read the MEN my interest picked up rapidly.

Then I found this place, got hooked like a fucking crack addict, and haven't looked back since.

Went to my first game in 2006 and have been over 1-3 times a season ever since.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby City64 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:07 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
City64 wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
City64 wrote:
Socrates wrote:

I lived in Romiley , posh part of the world and we went to main road in a Mercedes.

I was never fat and everybody fuckign loved hanging out with me as I had a chipper and me brother a chopper and we threw apples off our trees over the fence at the council people (We allowed all friends to join in ....epic days) .....but I did spit the dummy out if I didn't get my bombons and sherbet dip.

Fair play ! I had a chopper and our kid had a chipper because he was a bit younger than me ........... sherbet dip yuk !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:27 pm

Games like tonight. That second stream players, subbed by a few first team, beating the likes of Oxford. That used to be our first team fighting for it; all change now.

Now, let's be having ya, who really started following in 2008, and really in 2012?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:33 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Games like tonight. That second stream players, subbed by a few first team, beating the likes of Oxford. That used to be our first team fighting for it; all change now.

Now, let's be having ya, who really started following in 2008, and really in 2012?

Hands up!

I was getting bored of Chelsea in the summer of 2008 after losing to the rags on penalties, then when City beat Chelsea to Robinho later that summer that sealed the deal for me, I was City 'til I die.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby RodneyRodney » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:28 am

Beefymcfc wrote:Games like tonight.
. . .then going on the Caf for a good laugh aftwerwards
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Postby Blue Philistine » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:21 am

My Grandad was chums with one of the chairmen years ago and he’s as blue as they come. My Dad is a blue, has been since he was old enough to attend games. When I was old enough to understand what teams were, I was given the option to support Man City or not follow football.. pretty simple really. Having grown up with 99% of my mates being filthy glory-hunting rags I bore the brunt of much pisstaking, but being the underdog felt good. It has been tough for us at times, but with the state of the club now.. I’d go through it all again to end up here. Best part is.. there’s more to come!
Blue Philistine
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: Witton Albion
My favourite player is: Bernie Silva

Postby BlueinBosnia » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:37 am

mr_nool wrote:From the early 00's on when I couod to go to the pub to watch games

Aren't you touching on 40, meaning you only started being allowed to go to the pub in your early-mid 20s? Were you institutionalized, or do you just have really, really strict parents?
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Dipstick » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:17 pm

I never really had much choice. Our house backed onto the corner of the Kippax and Platt Lane stands. The stadium was our playground. All my mum's family were blues and though my dad's family were rags he'd been converted before I was born and became a real rag hater.

My relationship with city started in the womb as I was due to be born around the time of the 1956 final (the famous Bert Trautmann one). My dad had to give up his ticket but in the end I was several days late - he never did get to the FA Cup Final as the next time he got a ticket - Spuds '81 - he pretended to be ill so I would take it off him.

Dad said he took me to my first match when he had babysitting duties when I was a few months old. He also said that Don Revie scored so that would probably make it September the 8th 1956 when we beat Sunderland 3-1.

Obviously I don't remember any of that. My first memories are of night matches when, as small kids, me and my brother used to stand on the bedroom windowsill as we could see most of the goal at the Platt Lane end. With the roar of the crowd giving a running commentary, the odd glimpses of Bert, and the constant flickers of light as cigarettes were lit, it was magical to us.
"People say I'm egocentric, but enough about them." Lily Allen
Dipstick
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchster CIty
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby mr_nool » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:13 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
mr_nool wrote:From the early 00's on when I couod to go to the pub to watch games

Aren't you touching on 40, meaning you only started being allowed to go to the pub in your early-mid 20s? Were you institutionalized, or do you just have really, really strict parents?

That's about when they started the "sports bar" concept in Sweden showing live sport in the pub. I can't remember it being done much in the 90's (I turned 18 in 1996, which is the legal age for drinking in Sweden).

Another "issue" was that City weren't in the Premier League in the latter part of the 90's and thus not very easily accessible.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Woodyblue » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:53 pm

I was born in 1957 to a family of Rags. As I grew up in Wythenshawe everyone seemed to be a rag. I decided to be a rebel and went for the blues. One oher kid in my class was also a blue and we used to go to Maine Road when we were 10. I can’t remember who we played but getting to the top of the steps in the Kippax and just standing amongst the crowd there was magical. Big Joe Corrigan in net. Franny Lee, Bell, Book, Dowd to name just a few. I never expected us to win which made it even better when we did. Had the piss taken out of me by the rag fans almost all my life so now I’m in heaven. I took my young daughters to Wembley in the playoffs against Gillingham and they both asked me if I was crying when City came out on the pitch. I lied of course saying I had a cold. Amazing times now. Long may it continue
Woodyblue
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

My favourite player is: Mario Ballotelli

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum