Why You Support City

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Why You Support City

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:17 am

Born in Hulme to a family of Rags, Went to both the swamp and Maine Rd tbh. To my late Dads disgust it was City for me As a birthday treat City smashed to rags 4-0 in the League Cup at Maine Rd. I was left by said father in the ground as he skulked home 10 yrs old, brought home by my uncle a BLUE ! It was the same game Colin Bell suffered the end of his career injury. I have hated the RED TWATS ever since. Plus City have always been cooler to follow, shite shite at times but way more fun. The game above was 90 mins of fighting all over the ground and all the way back home. CRAZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mase » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:28 am

Hazy2 wrote:Born in Hulme to a family of Rags, Went to both the swamp and Maine Rd tbh.

Was that normal back then? As my father in law said he used to go and watch City (more than he did the rags) when he was a kid but is now a die hard rag.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:09 am

Mase wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:Born in Hulme to a family of Rags, Went to both the swamp and Maine Rd tbh.

Was that normal back then? As my father in law said he used to go and watch City (more than he did the rags) when he was a kid but is now a die hard rag.

my dad and granddad both used to go to the swamp when city were playing away with their rag supporting mates. think doug did as well? i think he’s a similar age to my old man - he can probabaly give a good insight into the way things were back in the late 50s/60s
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby sheblue » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:22 am

Mase wrote:
sheblue wrote:Since 1989.
But only got interested in internet football forums and social media a few years ago.
Just because lads are new on here or elsewhere doesn't mean they are 'new' fans.

I did say "new posters" not new fans. It was just a bit of fun for people to get to know others.

Ok I wasn't having a go. Just making a point as i have noticed that some on here tend to treat new posters like total plebs!! Referring to them as plastic and rag and all that nonsense. And some of these lads could be 30 years or more supporting city, just not online.
Anyway great thread.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Nick » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:27 am

Born in Urmston (rag central) in 89. Dad bought me a city shirt from streetwise sports in Stretford precinct.

All reds in my whole year in secondary bar a couple of quiet blues. Few more in primary. We yoyod divisions and I'd get constantly wound up by red mates taunting relegation.

First city magazine I got (collected them for years) had Coton on the front. I don't really remember that ball season, so I got really into it that relegated year when we had about ten managers. Watching the late highlights show I'd tape.

First game was dickovs debut Vs reading. Think we won 3-2. Loved the walk up, the ground etc. Everyone was gutted kinky was injured but dickov played well. Couldn't go much as dad worked weekends and then when he stopped I did, so we'd pick games but eventually went to most the last year at Maine road. Then got a season ticket probably the second or third year at Eastlands.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Mase » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:58 am

sheblue wrote:
Mase wrote:
sheblue wrote:Since 1989.
But only got interested in internet football forums and social media a few years ago.
Just because lads are new on here or elsewhere doesn't mean they are 'new' fans.

I did say "new posters" not new fans. It was just a bit of fun for people to get to know others.

Ok I wasn't having a go. Just making a point as i have noticed that some on here tend to treat new posters like total plebs!! Referring to them as plastic and rag and all that nonsense. And some of these lads could be 30 years or more supporting city, just not online.
Anyway great thread.

Agree with that.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:58 am

Mase wrote:

Jib in both was easy, i was 9/10/11 yrs old Mase, living in central M/cr normal for me and many others. Growing up in Hulme it was ow't for now't TBH. A mate of mine denies it but he was with us.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mase » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:00 am

Nick wrote:Born in Urmston (rag central) in 89. Dad bought me a city shirt from streetwise sports in Stretford precinct.

All reds in my whole year in secondary bar a couple of quiet blues. Few more in primary. We yoyod divisions and I'd get constantly wound up by red mates taunting relegation.

First city magazine I got (collected them for years) had Coton on the front. I don't really remember that ball season, so I got really into it that relegated year when we had about ten managers. Watching the late highlights show I'd tape.

First game was dickovs debut Vs reading. Think we won 3-2. Loved the walk up, the ground etc. Everyone was gutted kinky was injured but dickov played well. Couldn't go much as dad worked weekends and then when he stopped I did, so we'd pick games but eventually went to most the last year at Maine road. Then got a season ticket probably the second or third year at Eastlands.

Sounds similar to my school experience. 90% of the kids supported the rags. I was amazed when I met another kid that supported City! Always got that one kid that randomly 'supported' Arsenal or Chelsea haha.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mase » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:06 am

Hazy2 wrote:
Mase wrote:

Jib in both was easy, i was 9/10/11 yrs old Mase, living in central M/cr normal for me and many others. Growing up in Hulme it was ow't for now't TBH. A mate of mine denies it but he was with us.

Yeh I'm sure he said his older brother used to take him to City as they could sneak in no bother. His older brother was a City fan, not sure what turned him but I imagine he didn't have the bottle for it once things turned shit.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby City64 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:17 am

Nick wrote:Born in Urmston (rag central) in 89. Dad bought me a city shirt from streetwise sports in Stretford precinct.

Urmston ? Bet you know our kid and even had a pint with him ?
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby zuricity » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:18 am

Hazy2 wrote:
Mase wrote:

Can back you up being from Hulme too. Perfectly normal to have Rag mates playing footy at school, or the two Boys clubs ( Loxford and Proctors). Even playing for Mercer Celtic, a mixture of both ( with the occasional Perv Senrab luvvie). More rag mates than City fans at that time where i lived. Glory hunters then too....

If City reserves had no game on , i might go to the dump to watch Georgie with mates - he was good, have to say.

First game was a cup game Bury away . Jimmy Murray wearing telephone directories.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:08 pm

My dad forced me to go watch the fuckign Munchens once to try and get me to support them - I nearly puked , I must have been 7 years old then.

What a cunt!!
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Nickyboy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:08 pm

zuricity wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
Mase wrote:

Can back you up being from Hulme too. Perfectly normal to have Rag mates playing footy at school, or the two Boys clubs ( Loxford and Proctors). Even playing for Mercer Celtic, a mixture of both ( with the occasional Perv Senrab luvvie). More rag mates than City fans at that time where i lived. Glory hunters then too....

If City reserves had no game on , i might go to the dump to watch Georgie with mates - he was good, have to say.

First game was a cup game Bury away . Jimmy Murray wearing telephone directories.

My old man used to play for Mercer Celtic....

I was born in Jersey in 1980 - didn't get a choice of club as my dad was a die hard blue.

Used to get to Maine Road whenever we came over to visit my Grandparents so saw at least 2/3 games a season from 1989 onwards.

I moved to Manchester in 2005 and have had a season ticket since the Sven season.

I was the same at School - no local team in Jersey so apart from one Southampton fan (and my brothers) most were glory hunting Liverpool and United fans - would love to go back in time and tell 13 year old me all the abuse will be worth in one day!
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:48 pm

zuricity wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
Mase wrote:

Watching reserve games at Maine Rd wow that's a memory Z., A one off chance to sit in the Main Stand Getting as close to the directors box, smell of the liniment and fags, Stan the groundsman letting you in for Nowt !! if you got lucky of pushing the gate and squeezing through. Proctors/ Nello James/Hulme Labour Club. I have rag mates who now its not Glory Glory have started this SELF DEFENCE THING " Quote, I am not into it anymore money has ruined it. The games changed, Hazy: Answer Fuck of you rag twat, Now we have jogged on past you in every department your true colours have come out. I have a brother who I swear is on meds they are that shite, meltdown-Mike but boy did that twat love it when we had Frank Fucking Clown Clarke and the likes messing with our sanity. The late Alan Ball wasting time when we need a goal I rip him every week the GAP gets bigger he hates it Karma is a bitch... rag has even barred my number so he tells the rest of the family.
Last edited by Hazy2 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mase » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:49 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:My dad forced me to go watch the fuckign Munchens once to try and get me to support them - I nearly puked , I must have been 7 years old then.

What a cunt!!

Is that why you had to move abroad, after you buried him?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby zuricity » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:55 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
zuricity wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
Mase wrote:

Watching reserve games at Maine Rd wow that's a memory Z., A one off chance to sit in the Main Stand Getting as close to the directors box, smell of the liniment and fags, Stan the groundsman letting you in for Nowt !! if you got lucky of pushing the gate and squeezing through. Proctors/ Nello James/Hulme Labour Club. I have rag mates who now its not Glory Glory have started this SELF DEFENCE THING " Quote, I am not into it anymore money has ruined it. The games changed, Hazy: Answer Fuck of you rag twat, Now we have jogged on past you in every department your true colours have come out. I have a brother who I swear is on meds they are that shite, meltdown-Mike but boy did that twat love it we had Frank Fucking Clown Clarke and the likes messing with our sanity. I rip every chance he hates it crying rag.

Thrown the ball back on the odd occasion to Bert. Yep Stan was a great fella.
Last edited by zuricity on Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:56 pm

Mase wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:My dad forced me to go watch the fuckign Munchens once to try and get me to support them - I nearly puked , I must have been 7 years old then.

What a cunt!!

Brookside Carl.....
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:18 pm

Mase wrote:

What a cunt!!

I think we went abroad when me dad found out I cleaned Mike Summerbees car, when I was in the cubs....that took him over the edge.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Mase » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:32 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Mase wrote:

What a cunt!!

I think we went abroad when me dad found out I cleaned Mike Summerbees car, when I was in the cubs....that took him over the edge.

I threw a rock at Neville's house when I was a kid/scroat.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ruralblue » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:45 pm

Stewart
White
Adcock
Mc Nab.

Mentioned on here before that it was my gist ever game at Maine Road..... In the away end doing the Conga. My dad had taken me as it was my first Huddersfield away end and something that day made me think, I'm having some of that!

Luckily for me two older lads from my Village were massive City fans and took me under their wing taking me to games season upon season until we moved to Coms. I was very fortunate indeed even though some of years that followed were diabolical. The Imre banana times were upon us and as a teenager it was just an incredible atmosphere. Sadly neither Brother is no longer with us both having gone too soon but they left me with a love and passion for City.

Best game? Apart from the 5 - 1 and the 3 - 1 it has to be Stoke Away on Boxing day 88. We post three one but we took Stoke over and all I remember was giant inflatables everywhere.

Seen some shit over the years but 'that' moment will always bring a tear to my eye.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum