James McLain will not have poppy on shirt

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: James McLain will not have poppy on shirt

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:40 pm

Kinsey, I love you, what a lovely post, I agree with you and appreciate your moving post.
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:43 pm

Harry Dowd scored wrote:Yeah, my neighbors are on the board at Derry City FC and see him regularly, did you know his nickname is “Jobby” no I do not know the reason.
In case you've not come across it Harry here's a link to an article about him by Paul Hince.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... san-852918
Jobby was my hero when he captained us to promotion but I don't know where that soubriquet came from either.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:51 pm

Those were happy days for me, strange, even though we are so much better, it does not seem the same, perhaps it’s my age
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mase » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:52 pm

kinsey wrote:
Mase wrote:He's explained his reasoning for it and that's good with me.

My problem with him is he's a confused cunt. From Northern Ireland but plays for Republic of Ireland. That's my only gripe. Support Northern Ireland you cowardly twat.

You may not like or agree with him but I am not sure that "cowardly" is the best description for someone who resolutely stands by his principles year after year in the face of so much public disapproval.

As you say, he has his reasons and he has repeatedly said that his refusal has nothing to do with the memory of those who died in either World War.

I'm a cunt. I've been told I'm a cunt on many occasion. Do I change? No. I'll continue to be a cunt. Does that mean I'm not cowardly?

As I've mentioned, my thinking of him as a bellend is nothing to do with him refusing to wear a poppy. Not sure why you can't read. Is it cowardly to not play for your country, and play for technically another one? Yes.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:00 pm

Mase wrote:
kinsey wrote:

My problem with him is he's a confused cunt. From Northern Ireland but plays for Republic of Ireland. That's my only gripe. Support Northern Ireland you cowardly twat.

You may not like or agree with him but I am not sure that "cowardly" is the best description for someone who resolutely stands by his principles year after year in the face of so much public disapproval.

As you say, he has his reasons and he has repeatedly said that his refusal has nothing to do with the memory of those who died in either World War.

I'm a cunt. I've been told I'm a cunt on many occasion. Do I change? No. I'll continue to be a cunt. Does that mean I'm not cowardly?

As I've mentioned, my thinking of him as a bellend is nothing to do with him refusing to wear a poppy. Not sure why you can't read. Is it cowardly to not play for your country, and play for technically another one? Yes.
Er ..No actually Mase, it's got nothing to do with being cowardly as far as I can see. He just identifies more with the Republic.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mase » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:04 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Mase wrote:
kinsey wrote:

Er ..No actually Mase, it's got nothing to do with being cowardly as far as I can see. He just identifies more with the Republic.

Why not Northern? Why abandon where he's from?

He wasn't born there. But JC, your grandmother was probably "Irish" and you may go around telling people you're "one quarter Irish". Can't stand those cunts.
Last edited by Mase on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:04 pm

Mase wrote:
kinsey wrote:

There is no technically about it, under Blair’s capitulation to the IRA anybody born in the island of Ireland have dual nationality its his choice. His family are Republican Irish catholic’s what do you expect him to do.
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby kinsey » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:05 pm

No - you may be a lovely fella Mase but you being a cunt (on a website), you being told you are a cunt yet refusing to be anything other than a cunt has nothing to do with whether you are a coward or not.

Perhaps McClean feels that he is playing for his country? Although I doubt that would change your opinion of him.
kinsey
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Mase » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:15 pm

Harry Dowd scored wrote:
Mase wrote:
kinsey wrote:

There is no technically about it, under Blair’s capitulation to the IRA anybody born in the island of Ireland have dual nationality its his choice. His family are Republican Irish catholic’s what do you expect him to do.

Play for the country he was born in?

So best friend when I was kid - his mum was from Northern Ireland and his dad was from Republic. He was born and bred Bury. If he was a footballer and good enough to play for England should he choose Ireland because his family is from there?

The answer is no. He was born in England and has lived there all his life. mcLean cares zero about Derry. Hence why he's not playing for the country.

But as a side, you started this thread in the tone "it's okay what you think, I don't have an opinion" but you would have been better giving your honest opinion from the start. Not hiding away.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby mr_nool » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:19 pm

Not being British I will probably bring down the wrath of Carl for putting my tuppence in, but wearing a poppy is and should be a choice. Bullying someone for not wearing one is borderline fascism.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Mase » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:21 pm

mr_nool wrote:Not being British I will probably bring down the wrath of Carl for putting my tuppence in, but wearing a poppy is and should be a choice. Bullying someone for not wearing one is borderline fascism.

Agreed. But then perhaps not contradict yourself and take money from that same country??
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby kinsey » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:32 pm

Mase wrote:
Harry Dowd scored wrote:
Mase wrote:
kinsey wrote:

So best friend when I was kid - his mum was from Northern Ireland and his dad was from Republic. He was born and bred Bury. If he was a footballer and good enough to play for England should he choose Ireland because his family is from there?

The answer is no. He was born in England and has lived there all his life. mcLean cares zero about Derry. Hence why he's not playing for the country.

But as a side, you started this thread in the tone "it's okay what you think, I don't have an opinion" but you would have been better giving your honest opinion from the start. Not hiding away.

International football is very simple - you are qualified to play for a country if you are a national of that country.

Now I am pretty sure that when the founding fathers of the Irish Republic set up their constitution, they weren't thinking of how best to circumnavigate any future football regulations! But it is a fact that the eligibility requirements for an Irish passport are much lower than many other countries and that this was because there was a desire to recognise the country's long-standing history of emigration.

This may be too nuanced for you Mase, but it is possible for your old friend to have a DUAL nationality. I do - and I am equally proud of both sides.

If I was fortunate enough to be good enough to play international football, I honestly don't know who I would play for.
kinsey
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:32 pm

Mase wrote:
Harry Dowd scored wrote:
Mase wrote:
kinsey wrote:

Mr Mase, for your information I have never hidden my views in my very long life, that is the reason I have been banned from the left wing Bluemoon. To clear up any confusion, I think McLean is a twat, but if you had the wit to read my post and understand it, I was wondering what the view was in England. I have live in Derry for 15 years and it is easy to lose touch with what proper people think. The left wing media is no place to form options so hence the post. All the best to you and fellow blues
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:33 pm

Mase wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Mase wrote:I'm a cunt. I've been told I'm a cunt on many occasion. Do I change? No. I'll continue to be a cunt. Does that mean I'm not cowardly?

He wasn't born there. But JC, your grandmother was probably "Irish" and you may go around telling people you're "one quarter Irish". Can't stand those cunts.
For the record, both my grandmothers were British, one from Bolton and one from Wigan. As were my grandfathers - one from Ashton-u-Lyne and the other from Dukinfield - who was killed in mysterious circumstances in Belfast while working as a boilermaker at Harland & Wolf during the War of Independence. He was actually illegitimate and took his mother's surname - which is now mine. She was from Calver in Derbyshire but never said who his father was - although it was rumoured he was a Spaniard living in what is now the Republic. So it's at worst only 1/32 of me you can't stand, the other 31 parts you can be pals with :D
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:36 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Mase wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Mase wrote:I'm a cunt. I've been told I'm a cunt on many occasion. Do I change? No. I'll continue to be a cunt. Does that mean I'm not cowardly?

For the record, both my grandmothers were British, one from Bolton and one from Wigan. As were my grandfathers - one from Ashton-u-Lyne and the other from Dukinfield - who was killed in mysterious circumstances in Belfast while working as a boilermaker at Harland & Wolf during the War of Independence. He was actually illegitimate and took his mother's surname - which is now mine. She was from Calver in Derbyshire but never said who his father was - although it was rumoured he was a Spaniard living in what is now the Republic. So it's at worst only 1/32 of me you can't stand, the other 31 parts you can be pals with :D

Fuck me Johnny, I have relations from Dukinfield, from lime street club, small world
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mase » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:55 pm

Harry Dowd scored wrote:Mr Mase, for your information I have never hidden my views in my very long life, that is the reason I have been banned from the left wing Bluemoon. To clear up any confusion, I think McLean is a twat, but if you had the wit to read my post and understand it, I was wondering what the view was in England. I have live in Derry for 15 years and it is easy to lose touch with what proper people think. The left wing media is no place to form options so hence the post. All the best to you and fellow blues

Fair enough mate. Whatever you believe in support it 100%. I agree with that whether I agree with your views or not.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mase » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:59 pm

kinsey wrote:Now I am pretty sure that when the founding fathers of the Irish Republic set up their constitution, they weren't thinking of how best to circumnavigate any future football regulations! But it is a fact that the eligibility requirements for an Irish passport are much lower than many other countries and that this was because there was a desire to recognise the country's long-standing history of emigration.

This may be too nuanced for you Mase, but it is possible for your old friend to have a DUAL nationality. I do - and I am equally proud of both sides.

If I was fortunate enough to be good enough to play international football, I honestly don't know who I would play for.

I was born in England. I fuckin hate England. I don't owe England anything. My nan was from Republic of Ireland and I've grown up getting the new Irish kit every year from her.

If I was good enough to play international football I'd 100% play for Ireland. But I'd also make it clear it was because I fuckin hate England. There would be no doubt.

My problem with McLean is that he's not come out and said "I'm not playing for Northern Ireland because I hate you!" as far as I'm aware. That's why he's a coward.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby mr_nool » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:01 pm

Mase wrote:
mr_nool wrote:Not being British I will probably bring down the wrath of Carl for putting my tuppence in, but wearing a poppy is and should be a choice. Bullying someone for not wearing one is borderline fascism.

Agreed. But then perhaps not contradict yourself and take money from that same country??

The two are completely unrelated in my opinion.
But my concert is just about to start and I'm a bit drunk, so I will save it for another time.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:01 pm

Harry Dowd scored wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Mase wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

Fuck me Johnny, I have relations from Dukinfield, from lime street club, small world
Indeed it is, sadly my relations in Ducky have all gone now.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mase » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:03 pm

mr_nool wrote:
Mase wrote:

The two are completely unrelated in my opinion.
But my concert is just about to start and I'm a bit drunk, so I will save it for another time.

Spice Girls haven't started touring yet?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum