James McLain will not have poppy on shirt

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

James McLain will not have poppy on shirt

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:30 pm

I live in Derry/Londonderry (on the prod waterside) I have been watching the media and fan reaction to McLean and his refusal to wear the poppy. Today Stoke and Forest fans (stoke played forest today) both felt it necessary to abuse the player. Last week Stoke played at home to Boro again both sets of fans abused him.
Now, I am no fan of McLain and the like of him who live on the bogside and the creggan, however, do people in England share the view of the fans who are abusing McLain, personally I don’t give a fuck if they do, he has brought it on his self.
But should the wearing of the poppy be mandatory? Just wondered what you guys thought.
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: James McLain will not have poppy on shirt

Postby s1ty m » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:43 pm

He disgusts me.

He should go to one of the one thousand cemeteries on the Wester Front. He's be surprised, perhaps, at how many Irishmen from North and South made the ultimate sacrifice. Many.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:59 pm

Quite right, however his argument is not about poppy dedication to world wars to all conflicts, he means Bloody Sunday where our paratroops killed his friends/neighbours/family. Look I am not defending this shit, just wondering what Manchester people thought. Especially given the fact they have forgiven the Muslim community for the Manchester Arena bomb, well that’s what the media say!
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:06 pm

Harry Dowd scored wrote:I live in Derry/Londonderry (on the prod waterside) I have been watching the media and fan reaction to McLean and his refusal to wear the poppy. Today Stoke and Forest fans (stoke played forest today) both felt it necessary to abuse the player. Last week Stoke played at home to Boro again both sets of fans abused him.
Now, I am no fan of McLain and the like of him who live on the bogside and the creggan, however, do people in England share the view of the fans who are abusing McLain, personally I don’t give a fuck if they do, he has brought it on his self.
But should the wearing of the poppy be mandatory? Just wondered what you guys thought.

No, but you should have your own reason for not wearing a poppy in remembrance of those armed forces who gave their lives for your country. Saying what it is should not be mandatory either, sometimes it's better to keep it to yourself anyway. We went to to see 'They Shall Not Grow Old' in the week and cannot believe that anyone could not respect the memory of those lads.
Last edited by johnny crossan on Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:10 pm

Totally agree Johnny, you know by the way Johnny Crossan is still alive and kicking in Derry!
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:14 pm

Hes a fuckign piece of shit.

I cannot really elaborate anymore than that.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:17 pm

The Royal British Legion says wearing a poppy must be a personal choice for it to be meaningful, and I go with them.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:20 pm

Yes, it is hard to disagree, he is happy to take the money off a country he blames for Bloody Sunday, but not happy to pay respect to the soldiers that fought for the freedom to express his tainted views!
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:20 pm

Yes, it is hard to disagree, he is happy to take the money off a country he blames for Bloody Sunday, but not happy to pay respect to the soldiers that fought for the freedom to express his tainted views!
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:21 pm

Harry Dowd scored wrote:Totally agree Johnny, you know by the way Johnny Crossan is still alive and kicking in Derry!

So I believe Harry, I've even had a couple of folk contact me via my FB page thinking I was him - so told them about his radio slot over there at the time.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby s1ty m » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:26 pm

A colleague and I travelled to The Somme to make drone footage into an enrichment piece for a school Remembrance event, only then other week. We are amateurs, enthusiastic and respectful. Forgive the cheese on toast music, but this is maybe the point, Mr. McLean.

https://youtu.be/4R2tXU8fY4A
s1ty m

Postby s1ty m » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:26 pm

A colleague and I travelled to The Somme to make drone footage into an enrichment piece for a school Remembrance event, only the other week. We are amateurs, enthusiastic and respectful. Forgive the cheese on toast music, but this is maybe the point, Mr. McLean.

https://youtu.be/4R2tXU8fY4A
s1ty m

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:28 pm

Yeah, my neighbors are on the board at Derry City FC and see him regularly, did you know his nickname is “Jobby” no I do not know the reason.
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mase » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:30 pm

He's explained his reasoning for it and that's good with me.

My problem with him is he's a confused cunt. From Northern Ireland but plays for Republic of Ireland. That's my only gripe. Support Northern Ireland you cowardly twat.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby kinsey » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:33 pm

Last edited by kinsey on Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kinsey
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:34 pm

All people born in Northern Ireland have the choice of playing for the republic or Northern Ireland, he is not on his own with this. It was part of Blair’s contribution to the Good Friday agreement.
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby kinsey » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:34 pm

In some ways, I have sympathy for James McClean.

His personal view is no more or less important than mine or yours. Or Nemanja Matic's. Nor is it at odds with the Royal British Legion. It is not mandatory to wear the poppy. Indeed, many argue that the poppy commerates those who laid down their lives to protect personal freedom... which includes you know, the freedom whether or not to wear a poppy!

Perhaps I have this wrong - but it sometimes feels to me that those who abuse him at this time of year besmirch the poppy and what it stands for, more than McClean does by not wearing it.

I wear a poppy.

When I was at school (80s), i was taught that the poppy was a memorial, not just to the men who gave their lives, but to the many more who had their lives taken from them by the actions of madmen, big business and blundering politicians. That it was a reminder not just of the terrible sacrifice that so many people paid for the world we live in today, but of the terrible horror that was visited on a whole generation. Not just soldiers, but wives, mothers, daughters. That our best way of thanking them was to say never again to war and to live peacefully and respectfully with each other.

With that in mind, I have no problem with someone because they choose not to wear the poppy. They are free to make that choice and I am grateful for that.

However, those politicians who commerate Poppy Sunday at one turn and then send out young lads to die in dubious wars at the other (at the behest of big business and under the guise of toppling mad men)... well that's another story!
kinsey
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Mase » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:38 pm

Harry Dowd scored wrote:All people born in Northern Ireland have the choice of playing for the republic or Northern Ireland, he is not on his own with this. It was part of Blair’s contribution to the Good Friday agreement.

Yeah I understand that mate. He has the option to have a British passport or Irish Passport. But he was born in Northern Ireland. Why desert them? Is Republic of Ireland more important than Northern Ireland? He's just being a bellend and choosing the best team. If Northern Ireland were better he'd play for them. That's being a shithouse.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby kinsey » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:38 pm

Mase wrote:He's explained his reasoning for it and that's good with me.

My problem with him is he's a confused cunt. From Northern Ireland but plays for Republic of Ireland. That's my only gripe. Support Northern Ireland you cowardly twat.

You may not like or agree with him but I am not sure that "cowardly" is the best description for someone who resolutely stands by his principles year after year in the face of so much public disapproval.

As you say, he has his reasons and he has repeatedly said that his refusal has nothing to do with the memory of those who died in either World War.
kinsey
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:40 pm

Kinsey, I love you, what a lovely post, I agree with you and appreciate your moving post.
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum