James McLain will not have poppy on shirt

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: James McLain will not have poppy on shirt

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:33 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:As regarding choosing Rep of Ireland over Northern Ireland, I think you’ve got that one wrong as well Mase. Given his background I think it was always going to be his preferred option.

Another aspect of that is the fact that Northern Ireland's FA still call themselves the 'Irish Football Association', which is a massive imperial hangover. I'm not sure why it's not been changed in the past near-century, but it might have something to do with IFAB statutes, or it might be partisanship.

In athletics and many other sports, people from Northern Ireland have the option of competing for 'Ireland' (i.e. the island) or 'Great Britain'. I wonder which would be the 'correct' choice for him to represent in that case, as he wasn't born in Great Britain...
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:06 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:As regarding choosing Rep of Ireland over Northern Ireland, I think you’ve got that one wrong as well Mase. Given his background I think it was always going to be his preferred option.

Another aspect of that is the fact that Northern Ireland's FA still call themselves the 'Irish Football Association', which is a massive imperial hangover. I'm not sure why it's not been changed in the past near-century, but it might have something to do with IFAB statutes, or it might be partisanship.

In athletics and many other sports, people from Northern Ireland have the option of competing for 'Ireland' (i.e. the island) or 'Great Britain'. I wonder which would be the 'correct' choice for him to represent in that case, as he wasn't born in Great Britain...

It was mooted years ago as far back as the seventies that Ireland should play as one team for the island, like the rugby team do.

I remember an exhibition game being played with an all Ireland team with Giles and Derek Dougan organizing it. Pat Jennings in goal.

Truth is it’s not going to happen. The IFA and FAI will not amalgamate.
Derry may not be part of Great Britain but it is part of the UK. That means a lot to, what is still a majority up there.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby john@staustell » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:25 pm

Lots of words on him but it's quite simple really:

Hes a cunt and deserves to be treated as such
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:33 pm

They Shall Not Grow Old starting now BBC2
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby zuricity » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:52 pm

johnny crossan wrote:They Shall Not Grow Old starting now BBC2

Who actually watches BBC ?

The only good service they have is the World Service radio and Radio 6. The rest is just rubbish
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby bluemoon » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:44 pm

kinsey wrote:In some ways, I have sympathy for James McClean.

His personal view is no more or less important than mine or yours. Or Nemanja Matic's. Nor is it at odds with the Royal British Legion. It is not mandatory to wear the poppy. Indeed, many argue that the poppy commerates those who laid down their lives to protect personal freedom... which includes you know, the freedom whether or not to wear a poppy!

Perhaps I have this wrong - but it sometimes feels to me that those who abuse him at this time of year besmirch the poppy and what it stands for, more than McClean does by not wearing it.

I wear a poppy.

When I was at school (80s), i was taught that the poppy was a memorial, not just to the men who gave their lives, but to the many more who had their lives taken from them by the actions of madmen, big business and blundering politicians. That it was a reminder not just of the terrible sacrifice that so many people paid for the world we live in today, but of the terrible horror that was visited on a whole generation. Not just soldiers, but wives, mothers, daughters. That our best way of thanking them was to say never again to war and to live peacefully and respectfully with each other.

With that in mind, I have no problem with someone because they choose not to wear the poppy. They are free to make that choice and I am grateful for that.

However, those politicians who commerate Poppy Sunday at one turn and then send out young lads to die in dubious wars at the other (at the behest of big business and under the guise of toppling mad men)... well that's another story!

Excellent post, OP take note.
bluemoon
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:56 pm

bluemoon wrote:
kinsey wrote:In some ways, I have sympathy for James McClean.

His personal view is no more or less important than mine or yours. Or Nemanja Matic's. Nor is it at odds with the Royal British Legion. It is not mandatory to wear the poppy. Indeed, many argue that the poppy commerates those who laid down their lives to protect personal freedom... which includes you know, the freedom whether or not to wear a poppy!

Perhaps I have this wrong - but it sometimes feels to me that those who abuse him at this time of year besmirch the poppy and what it stands for, more than McClean does by not wearing it.

I wear a poppy.

When I was at school (80s), i was taught that the poppy was a memorial, not just to the men who gave their lives, but to the many more who had their lives taken from them by the actions of madmen, big business and blundering politicians. That it was a reminder not just of the terrible sacrifice that so many people paid for the world we live in today, but of the terrible horror that was visited on a whole generation. Not just soldiers, but wives, mothers, daughters. That our best way of thanking them was to say never again to war and to live peacefully and respectfully with each other.

With that in mind, I have no problem with someone because they choose not to wear the poppy. They are free to make that choice and I am grateful for that.

However, those politicians who commerate Poppy Sunday at one turn and then send out young lads to die in dubious wars at the other (at the behest of big business and under the guise of toppling mad men)... well that's another story!

Excellent post, OP take note.

He has actually
Harry Dowd scored wrote:Kinsey, I love you, what a lovely post, I agree with you and appreciate your moving post.

zuricity wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:They Shall Not Grow Old starting now BBC2

Who actually watches BBC ?
The only good service they have is the World Service radio and Radio 6. The rest is just rubbish

to describe that film as rubbish is deeply offensive btw, are you spoiled for choice with all those superior Euro channels then?
Last edited by johnny crossan on Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:51 pm

This is a really interesting thread. Those you think are bigots turn out not to be, and those you think are bright turn out to be thick cunts. Always enjoyed being a blue on here but I'm done with the complete fucking arseholes that most posters have turned out to be. Up Manchester and fuck each and everyone of you who isn't a Mancunian.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Slim » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:22 am

As far as I can tell, he is choosing not to wear it for personal reasons.

How dare he use that freedom to choose not to honour those who lay down their lives to give him the freedom of choice?

How dare he doesn't do something in a rampant act of inaction. Not the sort of inaction that actually hurts anyone, but inaction based on personal experience and moral compass.

How dare he have his own story, his own influences and his own mind, FORCE THIS MAN TO WEAR A POPPY AS A LIE, it's the only choice really.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john@staustell » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:52 am

Slim wrote:As far as I can tell, he is choosing not to wear it for personal reasons.

How dare he use that freedom to choose not to honour those who lay down their lives to give him the freedom of choice?

How dare he doesn't do something in a rampant act of inaction. Not the sort of inaction that actually hurts anyone, but inaction based on personal experience and moral compass.

How dare he have his own story, his own influences and his own mind, FORCE THIS MAN TO WEAR A POPPY AS A LIE, it's the only choice really.

Personal reasons being which organisation he backs?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby john@staustell » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:54 am

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:This is a really interesting thread. Those you think are bigots turn out not to be, and those you think are bright turn out to be thick cunts. Always enjoyed being a blue on here but I'm done with the complete fucking arseholes that most posters have turned out to be. Up Manchester and fuck each and everyone of you who isn't a Mancunian.

Phew

Thank goodness I was born in Oldham, does that count?
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby mr_nool » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:16 am

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:This is a really interesting thread. Those you think are bigots turn out not to be, and those you think are bright turn out to be thick cunts. Always enjoyed being a blue on here but I'm done with the complete fucking arseholes that most posters have turned out to be. Up Manchester and fuck each and everyone of you who isn't a Mancunian.

Cheers mate. Fuck you too.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:12 am

who is james mclain btw?
weird that there is a guy called james mcclean who is also from derry and refuses to wear a poppy!
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:18 am

Well we can forget about him now till next year.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course

Postby Mase » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:53 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:who is james mclain btw?
weird that there is a guy called james mcclean who is also from derry and refuses to wear a poppy!

Isn't he the guy from Die Hard?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby john@staustell » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:05 am

Mase wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:who is james mclain btw?

Isn't he the guy from Die Hard?

For anyone who remembers old David Essex movies:

Jim Maclaine and the stray cats!

john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Fullartj » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:44 pm

Thanks fuck this shit with McClean is over for another year as it's beyond boring at this stage!
Fullartj
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:03 pm

Was Matic booed yesterday?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby john@staustell » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:04 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:Was Matic booed yesterday?

By his own fans I expect as he was fuckin terrible!
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby sheblue » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:05 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:Was Matic booed yesterday?

Was he playing?
Didn't see him.
Another gone to pot under Maureens man management.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum