Ballon D’or

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Ballon D’or

Postby BlueinBosnia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:03 am

Mase wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:
Mase wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:
Mase wrote:Come on mate, you always get that nation that randomly does well in a tournament.

Apart from Sweden in 1958 and England in 1966 (both of whom qualified automatically as hosts), every other country to have appeared in a World Cup final has done so on multiple occasions.

Edit: Sorry, Spain have only done so once, too.

I didn't say anything about getting to the final and I didn't say anything about the World Cup..

How do you define 'does well' then? It's just not quantifiable from what you've said. I'd hardly say Equatorial Guinea getting to the semis of AFCON 2015 or Tahiti winning the OFC Nations Cup a few years ago is anywhere near the same kind of achievement as Croatia being World Cup runners up with Modric being named player of the tournament.

Pretty simple really. Salah "did well" last season. Liverpool won fuck all.

You didn't say anything about individual players and you didn't say anything about clubs..
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby zuricity » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:19 am

ross.mcfc wrote:
Green & Blue wrote:Strange one Gail Platt getting it. We’ve a couple of midfielders ourselves who were far better than him over the course of the year.

How many of our players won the Champions League and dragged a small nation to a World Cup final?

There is no stand out winner this year and you could make an argument for a handful of players but Modrić would have been very close to the top of my list.

It beggars belief when such things are written.
He didn't drag Any team any where . It was a full team effort, The Croatian team are quite strong in all departments.

He scored a good goal at a god awful World Cup , where players like Neymar thought it was ok to dive all over the place even with VAR.

Modric is not even the stand out player at RM , never was and never has been. He is a good midfielder in a strong ( well , until this season )
midfield at RM.

That this guy can be placed any position ahead of David Silva is a joke. Year in , year out Silva has performed brilliantly for Club and Country
and that isn't City bias.

It is a joke award by journalists looking to get in on a freebie event at the expense of some magazine.

Get Football fans to vote for their stand out players. One's from Teams they don't support. So Spurs fans can't vote for Kane , for example, then you might get some balance.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Mase » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:21 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:
You didn't say anything about individual players and you didn't say anything about clubs..

We're talking about an award for an individual player you thick twat.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby BlueinBosnia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:40 am

Mase wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:

No, I was specifically asking you about your comment that 'you always get that nation that randomly does well in a tournament.' I honestly can't see any example (with the possible exception of Sweden being runners up when they hosted the WC in '58, which I can't really comment on as I don't know the context back then) in the history of world football comparable to Croatia's achievement. Maybe Greece at the Euros, but that was an ugly, ugly route to the final, and their best player at that tournament managed to get 5th place in Ballon d'Or that year.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mase » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:51 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:
Mase wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:

No, I was specifically asking you about your comment that 'you always get that nation that randomly does well in a tournament.' I honestly can't see any example (with the possible exception of Sweden being runners up when they hosted the WC in '58, which I can't really comment on as I don't know the context back then) in the history of world football comparable to Croatia's achievement. Maybe Greece at the Euros, but that was an ugly, ugly route to the final, and their best player at that tournament managed to get 5th place in Ballon d'Or that year.

Iceland and Wales didn't do well the other year, no?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby BlueinBosnia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:15 pm

Mase wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:
Mase wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:

Iceland and Wales didn't do well the other year, no?

They did well, yes, but I wouldn't say their achievements were comparable.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby ross.mcfc » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:25 pm

zuricity wrote:It beggars belief when such things are written.
He didn't drag Any team any where . It was a full team effort, The Croatian team are quite strong in all departments.

We can agree to disagree on that but he was their captain and I thought he was their best player at the World Cup. His performance in the second half of the semifinals was sublime and he totally dictated the period of the game.

zuricity wrote:He scored a good goal at a god awful World Cup , where players like Neymar thought it was ok to dive all over the place even with VAR.

Personally, I thought the World Cup was great, and I am not sure what Modric has to do with other players underperforming.

zuricity wrote:That this guy can be placed any position ahead of David Silva is a joke. Year in , year out Silva has performed brilliantly for Club and Country

Wouldn't disagree with that but he hasn't won a Champions League nor anything with Spain whilst he's been at City and that tends to dictate who wins the Ballon D'or.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Mase » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:26 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:They did well, yes, but I wouldn't say their achievements were comparable.

Comparable with what? My original statement of "a random nation always does well in a tournament"?

You keep digging. I now know how JC felt.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:30 pm

ross.mcfc wrote:
zuricity wrote:It beggars belief when such things are written.

We can agree to disagree on that but he was their captain and I thought he was their best player at the World Cup. His performance in the second half of the semifinals was sublime and he totally dictated the period of the game.

zuricity wrote:He scored a good goal at a god awful World Cup , where players like Neymar thought it was ok to dive all over the place even with VAR.

Personally, I thought the World Cup was great, and I am not sure what Modric has to do with other players underperforming.

zuricity wrote:That this guy can be placed any position ahead of David Silva is a joke. Year in , year out Silva has performed brilliantly for Club and Country

Wouldn't disagree with that but he hasn't won a Champions League nor anything with Spain whilst he's been at City and that tends to dictate who wins the Ballon D'or.

He won Euro2012 whilst at City.

On Modric, I agree he was their best player, he's their catalyst, sets the tempo, dictates the play. He does the same thing at Madrid. I wouldn't necessarily say he was the world's best player this year but like I said earlier it's nice to see a different face.

The worst injustice in all of this is that ponce Griezmann ranking higher than Messi, it's absurd.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby ross.mcfc » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:52 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:He won Euro2012 whilst at City.

Totally forgot about that tournament. He scored in the final, didn't he? :oops:
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:04 pm

ross.mcfc wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:He won Euro2012 whilst at City.

Totally forgot about that tournament. He scored in the final, didn't he? :oops:

Can't recall but I do recall him taking the piss out of Ireland in the group stages.

Edit: looked it up there and you're right, he did, a header no less, to open the scoring.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby JamieMCFC » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:47 pm

Green & Blue wrote:Is it now being judged on international performance alone? If not they’ve a bit of explaining to do about how Mbappé or Pogba are featuring. I get Mbappé is a great talent but seriously thousands of players had better years than him or Pogba.

Thousands of players under the age of 21 had a better year than Mbappe?
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby sheblue » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:23 pm

Messi should have won it. Still the best footballer in the world.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Mase » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:06 pm

sheblue wrote:Messi should have won it. Still the best footballer in the world.

After Kolarov. Still a travesty he's never won it.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum