What do we need to win the PL title

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

What do we need to win the PL title

Postby nottsblue » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:45 pm

So we are nearly half way through the campaign and it is looking like it is going to be a two horse race between ourselves and the dippers. I know Spuds and Chelsea aren’t far behind and there are still 22 games to go but I personally think they are too far behind. Also I don’t think their respective squads are good enough.

I don’t subscribe to the theory the dippers aren’t good enough. They are top of the pile as it stands and have a solid spine and in Salah, a guy who scores for fun. However, we also have a solid spine and in Aguero a guy with over 200 goals for us. I’d also argue our current squad has stronger depth than theirs.

But. There is a nagging feeling that the footballing gods are conspiring against us with injuries and such and that it appears that the dippers are getting a number of marginal decisions go their way. So do we need to tweak anything or is there nothing to concern ourselves over?

Do we need anyone in January? I know Pep has stated we won’t be active in January, but a serious injury to Fernandinho or another setback for Aguero and we suddenly don’t look as strong. I think a Pep has eyes on converting Sterling to centre forward myself, but if so, wouldn’t be a quick process. Sadly Jesus seems to have temporarily lost confidence in front of goal and I have every confidence he will get it back, but again this will take time. It was telling he didn’t start on Saturday. Buying a striker however in January is never easy as the guy coming in has to hit the ground running. So it’s very unlikely we will recruit another striker.

A replacement full stop for Fernandinho is needed soon, possibly even by next summer. Whether we can bring in our identified target(s) earlier remains to be seen. Can Delph fill the role? Stones? Watching Laporte recently makes me think he would be better suited than Stones as his positional sense, distribution and tackling and a bit better than Stones’s.

Might we see a tweak in formation? Pep has done if a couple of times before. He certainly isn't a one trick pony.

Do we do nothing and hope we don't pick up any further injures. Hope the dippers have a spell of lost form, which you would assume they will? Do we need to get a little bit cuter in game management? Certainly we can’t afford to lose at home to the dippers just after New Year. Do we give Foden and Diaz more game time? Youthful energy and a sense of the unknown can easily work in our favour.

I don’t think we will achieve what we did last season. That’s okay. Winning it again will be enough. And in most other seasons we’d have clear daylight between ourselves and second place, but that’s not the case this time round. So, thoughts on what is required to ensure our name is on the trophy again come May. And taking our chances is an obvious given
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Re: What do we need to win the PL title

Postby harveytravis » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:26 pm

Would be interesting to compare the injury records of our two "best" players De Bruyne and Salah over the last two years?
harveytravis
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:48 pm

Chelsea away last season felt like a big moment for us. KDB broke the deadlock in a one sided game when we should have been homes and hosed way before.
So its get to Jan 3rd as it is going to be the title decider for me. We need to take things into our own hands, A loss and the momentum they gain could be a game changer.This week could be massive also if Napoli, turn them over they are on the 1 game a week season with a better squad.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby sheblue » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:51 pm

It's the old chestnut. But for me we just need to take it one game at a time. I just care about the Everton game and nothing else matters.

Back to back titles would be massive acheivement in this current league. And I think we will do it by a few points but it's going to be a lot harder than last season.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Saul Goodman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:26 pm

All we need is a ginger midfielder and the title is wrapped up (barring catastrophic injuries)
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Outcast » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:59 pm

I have a feeling the scum will beat the dippers at home and the table will turn in our a favour. Lyon' s Ndombele in January could cover for Ferno or even replace him for long term. Apart from that, no other additions until the summer.
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby city72 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:40 pm

A striker playing wingers upfront doesn’t work.
city72
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester city

Postby Mase » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:13 pm

Just need to pick ourselves up from Saturday and have a bit of luck going forward.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby everyonehatesus » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:37 pm

Just for the right decisions to be made, Liverpool are getting everything their way at the moment. No big injuries, most 50/50 balls, off sides and the like.
It won't go like that all season, they have had their luck so the cracks will start to show and that's when we will see things level out.
everyonehatesus
De Jong's Tackle

Postby zuricity » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:39 pm

city72 wrote:A striker playing wingers upfront doesn’t work.

You've got me there,
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:43 pm

Outcast wrote:I have a feeling the scum will beat the dippers at home and the table will turn in our a favour. Lyon' s Ndombele in January could cover for Ferno or even replace him for long term. Apart from that, no other additions until the summer.

Can’t see United beating Liverpool TBH.
Draw maybe.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:52 pm

Don’t let one loss slow us down. We also might have to actually beat Liverpool with a bit of pressure for once too.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby zuricity » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:52 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Outcast wrote:I have a feeling the scum will beat the dippers at home and the table will turn in our a favour. Lyon' s Ndombele in January could cover for Ferno or even replace him for long term. Apart from that, no other additions until the summer.

Draw maybe.

I can, Scouse will be coming off a defeat against Napoli.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:53 pm

zuricity wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

Draw maybe.

I can, Scouse will be coming off a defeat against Napoli.

Hopefully that is true.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:59 pm

I don't see them losing either game this week.

But i didn't see us losing either so I hope I'm wrong.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby sheblue » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:07 pm

Can't see the filth beating the vermin. Maybe a draw.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby RodneyRodney » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:09 am

zuricity wrote:
city72 wrote:A striker playing wingers upfront doesn’t work.

You've got me there,

I think Zurich means "A striker. Playing wingers upfront doesn't work" , with which I concur.
We really should have started this season with one other forward. That said, the only way Gabz scoring
figures (which aren't actually that bad) are going to improve is if he's on the field and getting on the end of chances
in the box - not sitting on the bench or hiding in the reserves.
He should have started against Chelsea - that's what he's here for - as understudy to Kun. England tried Raz as a 9 in Russia & it didn't really fly ; he can alternate in there with other players during the course of a game
but he can't play a a designated starting 9.
Who's out there ? A loan till end of season perhaps ? Ideas ? (. . . someone at the back of my head said Zlatan for 6 months , but I (almost immediately) told him to . . . well, you know) . A proven goalscorer , on loan , till June. Who ?
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Postby stevefromdonny » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:35 am

Hazy2 wrote:Chelsea away last season felt like a big moment for us. KDB broke the deadlock in a one sided game when we should have been homes and hosed way before.
So its get to Jan 3rd as it is going to be the title decider for me. We need to take things into our own hands, A loss and the momentum they gain could be a game changer.This week could be massive also if Napoli, turn them over they are on the 1 game a week season with a better squad.

they could also be 3rd place and go into the other cup which means they play more games
and yes I want to win the league again, hope we get all our players back and no more injuries
stevefromdonny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: any1 who plays for city

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:58 am

Everyone fit.
Stay as consistent as we currently are, despite Saturday's defeat.
Don't panic. Beat liverpool and everyone will be happy again.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby sheblue » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:01 pm

Dave Silva out now for "a few weeks" according to Pep.
That won't help the cause.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum