Lawro & DC Predictions v Toffees (H)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Lawro & DC Predictions v Toffees (H)

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:16 am

Lawros guest this week's is David Ginola, who worked under Lawro when he was a coach at Newcastle United in the 1990s.

"Mark wasn't really keen on my game because obviously he was a defender, and he liked the striker and the forwards to track back and try to win the ball back," Ginola said. "Obviously my French flair and my style of playing football didn't suit him very much - I could see it.

"But maybe it was a bit of jealousy as well because I could do things with the ball that he tried very hard to do, but he never succeeded. That is the difference between someone very skilful and someone who is not."

Lawro agrees - well, sort of. "David was an absolutely fantastic talent," he recalled. "In his own mind. "He was unbelievable actually, but I think his captain Alan Shearer would have a view on his work-rate - or lack of it."

Lawro says

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46555484

This is quite a fast turnaround for Manchester City after their win over Hoffenheim in the Champions League on Wednesday night, but this is still a game I think they will win.

Everton, who had an eventful draw with Watford last time out, are a much-improved side and they like it when teams attack them, which is what will happen here. They will give City a game, but I am still expecting Pep Guardiola's side to have too much for them.

City have a few injuries to some of their big hitters to contend with and, of them, only Sergio Aguero is in with a chance of returning this weekend. But Leroy Sane and Raheem Sterling are in excellent form and I think last weekend's defeat by Chelsea will only serve to fire City up more this time.

Although it is clearly not nice at the time, losing your first game can take a bit of pressure off. Until then people are always asking, "Can you go the whole season unbeaten?" and I think the manager and players hate that. As good as a side as they are, they have been beaten - just as Liverpool will be beaten at some point - and they no longer have that millstone around their neck.

Lawro's prediction: 2-0

Ginola's prediction: 3-1

Merson Says

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... l-and-more

I never go against Man City at home, and although Everton will make it hard for them, and seem to play better against the bigger teams, I can't go against City here. A lot of people are saying Everton have improved, but I'm not sure. The first half against Liverpool they did look a different team, yes, and they were unlucky not to be ahead.

Then they play Newcastle and Watford at home and fail to win either. That's the same old Everton we know. When they're expected to win, I'm not sure about them. I think they're an underdog team, but City will win this.

PAUL PREDICTS: 3-0
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: Lawro & DC Predictions v Toffees (H)

Postby nottsblue » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:03 pm

Lawro back to the 2-0 I see. Hope the buffoon is correct for once. And DC has a point with Everton being true to their inconsistency.

A must win game
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Re: Lawro & DC Predictions v Toffees (H)

Postby Wonderwall » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:19 pm

Wonderwall wrote:Lawros guest this week's is David Ginola, who worked under Lawro when he was a coach at Newcastle United in the 1990s.

"Mark wasn't really keen on my game because obviously he was a defender, and he liked the striker and the forwards to track back and try to win the ball back," Ginola said. "Obviously my French flair and my style of playing football didn't suit him very much - I could see it.

"But maybe it was a bit of jealousy as well because I could do things with the ball that he tried very hard to do, but he never succeeded. That is the difference between someone very skilful and someone who is not."

Lawro agrees - well, sort of. "David was an absolutely fantastic talent," he recalled. "In his own mind. "He was unbelievable actually, but I think his captain Alan Shearer would have a view on his work-rate - or lack of it."

Lawro says

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46555484

This is quite a fast turnaround for Manchester City after their win over Hoffenheim in the Champions League on Wednesday night, but this is still a game I think they will win.

Everton, who had an eventful draw with Watford last time out, are a much-improved side and they like it when teams attack them, which is what will happen here. They will give City a game, but I am still expecting Pep Guardiola's side to have too much for them.

City have a few injuries to some of their big hitters to contend with and, of them, only Sergio Aguero is in with a chance of returning this weekend. But Leroy Sane and Raheem Sterling are in excellent form and I think last weekend's defeat by Chelsea will only serve to fire City up more this time.

Although it is clearly not nice at the time, losing your first game can take a bit of pressure off. Until then people are always asking, "Can you go the whole season unbeaten?" and I think the manager and players hate that. As good as a side as they are, they have been beaten - just as Liverpool will be beaten at some point - and they no longer have that millstone around their neck.

Lawro's prediction: 2-0

Ginola's prediction: 3-1

Merson Says

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... l-and-more

I never go against Man City at home, and although Everton will make it hard for them, and seem to play better against the bigger teams, I can't go against City here. A lot of people are saying Everton have improved, but I'm not sure. The first half against Liverpool they did look a different team, yes, and they were unlucky not to be ahead.

Then they play Newcastle and Watford at home and fail to win either. That's the same old Everton we know. When they're expected to win, I'm not sure about them. I think they're an underdog team, but City will win this.

PAUL PREDICTS: 3-0

Take a bow David Ginola
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Return to The Maine Football forum