mahrez's penalty miss

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: mahrez's penalty miss

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:59 pm

bigblue wrote:He's really surprised me how hard he works to win the ball back. Never saw that side of him before.

The players love him, you could see it Saturday Walker laps him up.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:09 pm

I'll be honest and say I haven't warmed to him yet.
I don't dislike the guy. He's a City player after all. I mainly think the money could have been spent elsewhere, but that's a different story.
However, like quite a few before him, I think it takes at least a half a season to bed into this team and fully understand what Pep requires of them.
Look at Bernardo now compared to when he first came.
I think Gundo is looking a lot better recently also.
Mahrez has the skill, we just have to see has he got the attitude and football brain to be a key figure going forward.
The positive signs for me are that Pep seems to think so as he is giving him a lot more game time than I would TBH.
Then again Pep does seem to know what he's doing.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:20 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:I'll be honest and say I haven't warmed to him yet.
I don't dislike the guy. He's a City player after all. I mainly think the money could have been spent elsewhere, but that's a different story.
However, like quite a few before him, I think it takes at least a half a season to bed into this team and fully understand what Pep requires of them.
Mahrez has the skill, we just have to see has he got the attitude and football brain to be a key figure going forward.
The positive signs for me are that Pep seems to think so as he is giving him a lot more game time than I would TBH.

I'm inclined to agree about the money being better spent elsewhere and I did/do still to some extent have my reservations about him, that said a few different mates and work colleagues have remarked on his workrate to me in recent weeks, saying they never saw that from him at Leicester but he's putting in a shift under Guardiola.

He's producing too tbf, his numbers are good, 7 goals and 6 aasists in all.comps with just over 1200 minutes played. Also finished top of the assists table in CL group stage.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:

I'm inclined to agree about the money being better spent elsewhere and I did/do still to some extent have my reservations about him, that said a few different mates and work colleagues have remarked on his workrate to me in recent weeks, saying they never saw that from him at Leicester but he's putting in a shift under Guardiola.

He's producing too tbf, his numbers are good, 7 goals and 6 aasists in all.comps with just over 1200 minutes played. Also finished top of the assists table in CL group stage.

I really, really want this one to come good as there is no doubt he could be a match winner, but currently I sigh when I see him on the team sheet as it means one of Sane or Sterling is being displaced and I can't help but just see a predictable pattern to the play.
It works 90% of the time, but against the likes of Chelsea it didn't. They were far too organised and well drilled.
I don't buy into the "if only for the finishing" theory either. Yes there is a finishing issue, but that's not what I see as our main reason for losing that game.
The problem for me was that apart fromone clearcut chance, we created next to nothing. Certainly nothing second half.
A large part of the reason was the predictability factor of playing Mahrez, as I've stated before.

But to be positive. I really do hope he comes good and gets up to speed in thinking as much as anything else.
Pep seems to favour him so there must be good reason. If he starts banging in a regular twenty a season you won't see any complaints from me.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Mase » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:28 pm

If he scores the winner against Liverpool when we play them in January will he instantly become my second favourite player? Absolutely.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:32 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:

I really, really want this one to come good as there is no doubt he could be a match winner, but currently I sigh when I see him on the team sheet as it means one of Sane or Sterling is being displaced and I can't help but just see a predictable pattern to the play.
It works 90% of the time, but against the likes of Chelsea it didn't. They were far too organised and well drilled.
I don't buy into the "if only for the finishing" theory either. Yes there is a finishing issue, but that's not what I see as our main reason for losing that game.
The problem for me was that apart fromone clearcut chance, we created next to nothing. Certainly nothing second half.
A large part of the reason was the predictability factor of playing Mahrez, as I've stated before.

But to be positive. I really do hope he comes good and gets up to speed in thinking as much as anything else.
Pep seems to favour him so there must be good reason. If he starts banging in a regular twenty a season you won't see any complaints from me.

I think it's a control thing with Pep, Mahrez is better technically than Sane or Sterling. I think he sees it as a case of we're better equipped to control the game with someone that looks after the ball better, Sane and Sterling are a lot more direct ie riskier.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he performs with DeBruyne, it's normally Bernardo with him and with the two of them being lefties they're both looking to cut inside more often than not, in theory it should work better with DeBruyne as when they work the triangle out that side DeBruyne should find himself with space out wide right to whip them killer crosses in with his right.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:58 pm

I agree with the above. I see it as a control thing.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:33 pm

Mase wrote:If he scores the winner against Liverpool when we play them in January will he instantly become my second favourite player? Absolutely.

HAHAHAHA If you want loyalty and love get a dog.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mase » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
Mase wrote:If he scores the winner against Liverpool when we play them in January will he instantly become my second favourite player? Absolutely.

I have. And she better have the tea on the table when I get back!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:28 pm

Mase wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

I have. And she better have the tea on the table when I get back!

Yeah right your out voted Mase, get used to it and yer pants are long gone....... a new owner has them.... x
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:52 pm

thanks riyad
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Mase » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:57 pm

I said, it's not just the three points. It's the big dent that it would have had on their confidence. We fucked up badly.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby nottsblue » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:58 pm

Mase wrote:I said, it's not just the three points. It's the big dent that it would have had on their confidence. We fucked up badly.

Think you may be right. It's hard to say for sure because there was still do much of the season left but it certainly didn't do us any favours
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum