other games this weekend - 22/23 dec

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: other games this weekend - 22/23 dec

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:27 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:sancho was unreal for dortmund tonight apparently

whoever said that was exagerating!No doubt one of our great reporters going OTT as they do. Scored an excellent goal from a very tight angle (keeper!!) and played quite well.

Just part of a good win for the team. He showed the talent he has a few times but he also showed a good work ethic. Having seen him plenty over the last few years this was not one of those special nights where he ripped a defence apart ot anything like it. BUT he is a serious talent of that there should be no doubt
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Clowncrete » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:35 am

I don't think it's as straight forward as the lower half teams being shit. I think that most of them just can't cope with possession and pressing football. Even more so against us and dippers because both teams are well coached and drilled. The weaker teams still have a lot of joy against the likes of Rags. To counter pressing you need great technical players at the back which just isn't the case for most teams in the division. And because our and the dipper center backs are very good passers, gone are the days where a team can simply isolate and win the ball up front and score a goal. I occasionally watch some older games from around 2010-12 and I observe how frequently the goals came from one of the defenders losing the ball in a dangerous position.

Also the squad depth we and dippers now have means we can put in a stronger team even with a large number of players rested.

Imo, the young generation of English homegrown players is starting to have much better technique and we will see more and more teams passing out from the back in the next 5-10 years.
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:47 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:

whoever said that was exagerating!No doubt one of our great reporters going OTT as they do. Scored an excellent goal from a very tight angle (keeper!!) and played quite well.

Just part of a good win for the team. He showed the talent he has a few times but he also showed a good work ethic. Having seen him plenty over the last few years this was not one of those special nights where he ripped a defence apart ot anything like it. BUT he is a serious talent of that there should be no doubt

did you watch the clip in the sun link?
that piece of play the show before they show his goal was UNREAL. likewise his footwork to help set up their consolation goal in midweek. the kid is way better than foden imo
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:58 am

PeterParker wrote:I am a bit worried that some here felt in the trap Sky set with "the best league in world" and crap like that and fail to see the obvious and how poor half the teams really are.

Liverpool are not that good, they are better than last year, but they are not as good as we were last year. The have a shitload of luck so far this year, managed to get through in the Champions League with a fluke of a rule, but had fantastic luck in key moments this season: penalty with us, goal in the last minute vs PSG, goal in the last minute vs Chelsea, red card to given for VD vs Napoli, or that goal vs Everton.

Beside that they faced really, REALLY POOR teams and let's face it, so did we. There were times when you would go to the bottom 3-4 teams and could snatch a 2-1 win if you were lucky because they played for their future.

Dippers are better than season and that bit of luck, or could we call it game management from the PL, will see them challengers by the end of the season.

You are right in the notion that the league is competitive, but only for the top few. I find it absolutely appalling that after a huge upsurge of finances from the new contract that clubs have chosen to pocket the money instead of investing.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:17 am

I do wonder, if we fell away sharply and the Dippers carried on with their form, would the competition still be regarded as boring, as it was last season?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Mase » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:47 am

People missing the point re: Sancho. He's now worth, what, £50-60 million Dortmund could get. And we sold him for? If we'd put him out on loan and he'd performed we'd have got more than 50p for him.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:58 am

Mase wrote:People missing the point re: Sancho. He's now worth, what, £50-60 million Dortmund could get. And we sold him for? If we'd put him out on loan and he'd performed we'd have got more than 50p for him.

So the point is....
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:59 am

Mase wrote:People missing the point re: Sancho. He's now worth, what, £50-60 million Dortmund could get. And we sold him for? If we'd put him out on loan and he'd performed we'd have got more than 50p for him.

and the rest mate. the kid is a future balon d’or winner. can see him taking over from messi and ronaldo when they retire
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby zuricity » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:21 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:

Exactly, i watched a lot of the game - flipping to and fro to see Wolves cock up in front of goal. His goal was REAL rather then unreal and actually should have been stopped considering the angle and the fact that the defender missed the block and probably the goalie thought it might go wide.

Sancho is having a great season though and good luck to him.

Would he have scored that penalty though at scousepool - given the chance !
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Mase » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:22 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:

So the point is....

Haha you argue just to argue sometimes.

Point is, he's better at dribbling than Adama.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:27 am

Mase wrote:

So the point is....

Still not sure what you're saying the point is.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby zuricity » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:30 am

He's worth that Money because you say do Mase?

Come on , get real . We paid good money for KdB because , over several years he proved his value.

Let Sancho prove everyone at City wrong over the next couple of seasons before we talk about 50 mill

Raheem , btw did actually prove he was worth the investment after his spell at scousepool,by getting even better at City.

It's not even xmas in his first top league season.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:36 am

zuricity wrote:

Come on , get real . We paid good money for KdB because , over several years he proved his value.

Let Sancho prove everyone at City wrong over the next couple of seasons before we talk about 50 mill

Raheem , btw did actually prove he was worth the investment after his spell at scousepool,by getting even better at City.

I don’t think he'll be proving anyone at City wrong, the club knew how good he was, that's why they offered him the money they did to try get him to stay when he had just turned 17.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:38 am

zuricity wrote:

18 years old. 6 bundasliga goals and 1 in the cl + 11 assists. he is the real deal with unreal skills - the first c10 seconds of this clip are ridiculous...

ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:56 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
zuricity wrote:

18 years old. 6 bundasliga goals and 1 in the cl + 11 assists. he is the real deal with unreal skills - the first c10 seconds of this clip are ridiculous...

Player of the month for October / November was it ? not bad for player that's not really unreal )))

RE the post somewhere above , throwing money at a player like him doesn't make us ''we did all we could to keep him '' (To be fair , I was also in this camp at the time , but Im not a fuckign decision maker at City who saw him play morning noon and night am I !! ) they should have given him minutes on the pitch.

He will 100% be one of the most expensive players in football end of this season - hes already worth 5 times more than we flogged him for.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Mase » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:03 pm

Mase wrote:

So the point is....

It's in the last sentence of my original post.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:05 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
zuricity wrote:

Player of the month for October / November was it ? not bad for player that's not really unreal )))

RE the post somewhere above , throwing money at a player like him doesn't make us ''we did all we could to keep him '' (To be fair , I was also in this camp at the time , but Im not a fuckign decision maker at City who saw him play morning noon and night am I !! ) they should have given him minutes on the pitch.

He will 100% be one of the most expensive players in football end of this season - hes already worth 5 times more than we flogged him for.

The breakdown in contract talks reportedly came about because he wanted assurances over playing time, we can't give anyone assurances over playing time, even seasoned internationals with multiple trophies under their belts don't get them assurances, playing time is earned, you're asking for trouble having it any other way, especially from a kid, regardless of his potential/talent.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:07 pm

Mase wrote:
Mase wrote:

So the point is....

It's in the last sentence of my original post.

We didn't get enough for him?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mase » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:10 pm

In hindsight - you think we did?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:16 pm

Mase wrote:In hindsight - you think we did?

I think for a player that just turned 17 and had never played a minute of senior football in his life that we probably couldn't have demanded much more, we apparently have a first refusal clause and I've also seen conflicting reports on a sell on clause of 15%, if that's true we've done ok and I'm not sure we could've done much better, especially when you consider the alternative was him running down his contract.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum