Glasgow area to watch Scouse match

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Glasgow area to watch Scouse match

Postby Mase » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:09 pm

Just realised I'm up in Glasgow when we play Liverpool FFS.
Hotel is near the airport - anyone know any decent places to watch the match around there?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Re: Glasgow area to watch Scouse match

Postby Spurge » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:35 pm

Was going to suggest the 1st half in Bairds and the 2nd half in the Louden. However a bit of research suggests Bairds was closed down a few years ago following violent incidents.

Visited Bairds in 2000 with a glaswegian mate of mine who was a celtic fan and his old man and best mate who were rangers fans, quite an atmosphere to say the least! We then got a taxi to the louden (rangers pub). The driver thought we were off our rockers but we were just off our tits!

I guess that doesnt really help.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby Mase » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:42 pm

Spurge wrote:Was going to suggest the 1st half in Bairds and the 2nd half in the Louden. However a bit of research suggests Bairds was closed down a few years ago following violent incidents.

Visited Bairds in 2000 with a glaswegian mate of mine who was a celtic fan and his old man and best mate who were rangers fans, quite an atmosphere to say the least! We then got a taxi to the louden (rangers pub). The driver thought we were off our rockers but we were just off our tits!

I guess that doesnt really help.

I'll look in to the Louden if it's a Rangers pub then. Cheers.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Spurge » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:50 pm

Yep every bit a rangers pub.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby Mase » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:00 pm

Spurge wrote:Yep every bit a rangers pub.

Just had a look. Basically the Mary D's of Glasgow haha. Nice one.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby zuricity » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:50 am

Mase wrote:
Spurge wrote:Yep every bit a rangers pub.

Just had a look. Basically the Mary D's of Glasgow haha. Nice one.

I'd drive over to Edinburgh, a little more civilised.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby ross.mcfc » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:40 pm

Paisley is the nearest place to the airport and will have plenty pubs.

I genuinely can’t think of good place I like to watch football in Glasgow City Centre. I tend to stick to the West End which is also pretty easy to get to from the airport. Dram or The Old School House is normally where I end up.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Mase » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:50 pm

ross.mcfc wrote:Paisley is the nearest place the airport and will have plenty pubs.

I genuinely can’t think of good place I like to watch football in Glasgow City Centre. I tend to stick to the West End which is also pretty easy to get to from the airport. Dram or The Old School House is normally where I end up.

A rangers fan recommended getting the Met (or Tram, not sure what you guys call is up there) to near Ibrox and go to either The District and The Grapes.

I just don't wanna be surrounded by fuckin Celtic fans that are "supporting" Liverpool because they share a song.
Last edited by Mase on Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mase » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:53 pm

Oh and I had a look at pubs in Paisley. Irish bars with horrible reviews about IRA songs being sang
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:22 pm

Mase wrote:
ross.mcfc wrote:Paisley is the nearest place the airport and will have plenty pubs.

A rangers fan recommended getting the Met (or Team, not sure what you guys call is up there) to near Ibrox and go to either The District and The Grapes.

I just don't wanna be surrounded by fuckin Celtic fans that are "supporting" Liverpool because they share a song.

It's fucking hilarious that, during the 70s there was rumoured links directly between Liverpool football club and Loyalist paramiltaries to the point where if you wore a Liverpool shirt on the streets of Belfast you were believed to be showing support for the UVF. A rag shirt then became symbolic of being sympathetic to the nationalist movement. Now you have Celtic fans supporting Liverpool and vice versa, fucking idiots the lot of them on both sides.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Mase » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:53 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Mase wrote:

A rangers fan recommended getting the Met (or Team, not sure what you guys call is up there) to near Ibrox and go to either The District and The Grapes.

It's fucking hilarious that, during the 70s there was rumoured links directly between Liverpool football club and Loyalist paramiltaries to the point where if you wore a Liverpool shirt on the streets of Belfast you were believed to be showing support for the UVF. A rag shirt then became symbolic of being sympathetic to the nationalist movement. Now you have Celtic fans supporting Liverpool and vice versa, fucking idiots the lot of them on both sides.

I watched a documentary not too long ago on the Eleventh Night and a lot of them were wearing Rangers shirts. Its mad a football club can be used for what political stance you have.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ross.mcfc » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:00 pm

Mase wrote:A rangers fan recommended getting the Met (or Tram, not sure what you guys call is up there) to near Ibrox and go to either The District and The Grapes.

I wouldn’t take my dog to either of those pubs. That whole area is a shitehole.
ross.mcfc

Postby ross.mcfc » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:06 pm

Coopers Sports Bar on Great Western Road is the one I forgot. The West End is quite affluent and has a heavy student population so it’s a decent mix and you won’t get any riffraff.
ross.mcfc

Postby Mase » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:11 pm

ross.mcfc wrote:Coopers Sports Bar on Great Western Road is the one I forgot. The West End is quite affluent and has a heavy student population so it’s a decent mix and you won’t get any riffraff.

Nice one.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Bear60 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:58 pm

Was there any dippers there mate
Bear60
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Mase » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:04 am

Bear60 wrote:Was there any dippers there mate

Got back to the hotel from work later than expected so rang around a few places local and all said "we don't have Sky"...so had to stream it on my phone.

Everyone I spoke to though said "I'm a United fan, we hope City win" :lol:
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john@staustell » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:26 am

Mase wrote:

Silly cunts. In all my years I can think of 2 years when Dippers and Scum were actually rivalling each other for the league. And one of them was about 1965 before I can remember
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby nottsblue » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:48 pm

john@staustell wrote:
Mase wrote:

Silly cunts. In all my years I can think of 2 years when Dippers and Scum were actually rivalling each other for the league. And one of them was about 1965 before I can remember

I know. I just don't get the hype that rag v dippers games have. There's no real rivalry. When the dippers were finishing 1st or 2nd every year for nearly 20 years the rags rarely troubled them and then when the rags ruled the roost the dippers were fucking nowhere. Arsenal or Chelsea were their biggest rivals.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:26 pm

nottsblue wrote:
john@staustell wrote:
Mase wrote:

I know. I just don't get the hype that rag v dippers games have. There's no real rivalry. When the dippers were finishing 1st or 2nd every year for nearly 20 years the rags rarely troubled them and then when the rags ruled the roost the dippers were fucking nowhere. Arsenal or Chelsea were their biggest rivals.
nottsblue wrote:
john@staustell wrote:
Mase wrote:

It's the Gospel according to Ferguson, he created it with his perch comment and the Sky generation lapped it up.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:35 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
It's the Gospel according to Ferguson, he created it with his perch comment and the Sky generation lapped it up.

It all stemmed from when United started to be successful. Liverpool had the banner saying come back when you have won it 18 times. The only rivalry was number of titles won, not the actual teams vying for top spot in a league.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum