Young Player Shenanigans - Japanese version

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Young Player Shenanigans - Japanese version

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:16 am

The ever-expanding Txiki merry go round has just sigjned Japanese under 20 defensive midfielder Ko Itakura, he has been immediately loaned to Groningen for 18 months.

Some might say it's a hopeful replacement for Fernandino long-term. A cynic might say it's a blatant attempt to increase influence/coverage in Japan.

Others might say it's simple economics/revenue - buy a player for 1M, sell for 10, as seems to have happened a lot recently

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... a-15682412

Manchester City HAVE signed a defensive midfielder in the January window … but there is no immediate prospect of him joining their first team squad in the near future.

The Blues have picked up 21-year-old Ko Itakura from Japanese champions Kawasaki Frontale for a fee reported as being close to £1m, but he has been instantly loaned to Dutch club Groningen for 18 months.

He has been described as a central defender, Itakura has starred for Japan’s under-20 team as a holding midfielder and made all of his starts for Kawasaki as a central midfielder before being moved back into defence during his loan to their J1 League rivals Vegalta Sendai.

A Japan under-21 international, Itakura does not qualify for a UK work permit, but it is understood that he is viewed very much as a City Football Group signing.

If he excels in Eredivisie, he could earn a chance in Manchester but if not, he could play for New York City, Melbourne City or one of the Blues’ other sister clubs, including Japanese outfit Yokohama F. Marinos.

Itakura is pencilled in to make his debut for the strugglers – they have won four out of 17 games this season - against PSV Eindhoven on January 26.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Re: Young Player Shenanigans - Japanese version

Postby nottsblue » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:26 am

Hopefully he will make us a few quid. Both on and off the field
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby sheblue » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:30 am

It's business.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:32 am

sheblue wrote:It's business.

“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Return to The Maine Football forum