VAR watch

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

VAR watch

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:42 pm

definitely need a thread for this joke of tool
sort the fucking rules out fifa
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Re: VAR watch

Postby john@staustell » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:43 am

Late night Nige?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:53 am

john@staustell wrote:Late night Nige?

watched the 3 mins of deliberation for the derby ’goal when i got back in after a few last night. a fucking varce
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:28 am

VAR got the Jesus Penno wrong last week and I still think it proved Kane was offside rather than on the night before.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby john@staustell » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:20 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:VAR got the Jesus Penno wrong last week and I still think it proved Kane was offside rather than on the night before.

Me too. I think the PL have got the interpretations wrong to be honest. Sarri said it used to be like this in Italy but they eventually got the hang of it. Surely to God it needs to be clearly wrong to change a decision??
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby TomS » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:37 pm

We got this VAR now for the second season in Bundesliga. They did a few right decisions in a season but left very much confusing ones. It is just a fifth (or so) official who decides, with all the right/wrong possibility of a decision, Bayern got it in their way, relegation fodder the other way round and so on......
You calm down very fast when you are in the ground and nearly all main decision have to be checked by the VAR who takes his time......
Thomas
Bert Trautmann Town, Germany
TomS
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC,Werder Bremen
My favourite player is: Sergio

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:21 am

Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Dubciteh » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:05 am

Why was our goal disallowed when the VAR still showed it was onside?
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Plain Speaking » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:46 am

Dubciteh wrote:Why was our goal disallowed when the VAR still showed it was onside?

I suspect VAR officials might say they only overrule the on field decision already given if there is a "clear and obvious error".
Because it was such a borderline decision it wasn't clear the linesman had made a mistake!

Ironically if the linesman had not flagged, (as they are supposed to do under VAR if there's doubt), and said he thought Sergio was onside, I don't think it would have been disallowed!

I don't think it helped having Martin Atkinson in charge of VAR. As we found with the home derby last year, when he refused several stonewall penalty shouts, he hates to give us anything.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:49 am

Dubciteh wrote:Why was our goal disallowed when the VAR still showed it was onside?

I can only suggest that it wasn't the "clear and obvious error" they are looking for. It was close enough that it could have gone either way and I suppose they went with the on-field ref's decision because of that. And though it was wrong, I can live with it. I might think differently had we lost, however.

With offside, it needs to be clarified which part of the body matters, say, the further foot back or the head or the torso. But it needs to be consistent and stated clearly in the laws.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby BlueinBosnia » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:58 am

Just a quick question that I was going to post after the Schalke game:

I've seen multiple interpretations of and opinions on how VAR should be applied "according to the rules", with lots contradicting one another. However, is there just one single international set of rules for its use, or do they vary from competition to competition (or governing body to governing body), considering it's still in its early/trial stages?
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Nickyboy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:07 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:

I can only suggest that it wasn't the "clear and obvious error" they are looking for. It was close enough that it could have gone either way and I suppose they went with the on-field ref's decision because of that. And though it was wrong, I can live with it. I might think differently had we lost, however.

With offside, it needs to be clarified which part of the body matters, say, the further foot back or the head or the torso. But it needs to be consistent and stated clearly in the laws.

It is clearly stated in the laws. Any part of the body that can legally touch the ball can be offside.
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Plain Speaking » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:11 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:The future of VAR is this.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47336170

Agreed, there seems greater scope for dubious penalties to be given or not given.

The system is only as good as the people running it. When they seem to have an agenda it gives greater opportunity for altering game outcomes. Corrupt officials could give betting syndicates a field day.
Additionally there are many in the world football that want us to fail and VAR penalty reviews may well be used to get favourable match results, as Shalke. Watch this space...
Plain Speaking

Postby Scatman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:18 am

Plain Speaking wrote:

Agreed, there seems greater scope for dubious penalties to be given or not given.

The system is only as good as the people running it. When they seem to have an agenda it gives greater opportunity for altering game outcomes. Corrupt officials could give betting syndicates a field day.
Additionally there are many in the world football that want us to fail and VAR penalty reviews may well be used to get favourable match results, as Shalke. Watch this space...

The two VAR decisions were absolutely correct. The first was a handball and the ref was obviously wrong to not give it first time. The second he gave a pen for and even though it looked like a dive, and probably was, he wasn't obviously wrong to do so and correctly wasn't overruled.

The potential stinker is the decision not to use VAR up the other end for Levante. But then any claims of corruption are somewhat diluted by the fact the ref referred his decision to give the second penalty. He didn't have to.
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:29 am

Scatman wrote:
Plain Speaking wrote:

The two VAR decisions were absolutely correct. The first was a handball and the ref was obviously wrong to not give it first time. The second he gave a pen for and even though it looked like a dive, and probably was, he wasn't obviously wrong to do so and correctly wasn't overruled.

The potential stinker is the decision not to use VAR up the other end for Levante. But then any claims of corruption are somewhat diluted by the fact the ref referred his decision to give the second penalty. He didn't have to.

I'm not following your logic on the second penalty, if it was a dive then he was obviously wrong to award a pen
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Plain Speaking » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:15 am

Scatman wrote:
Plain Speaking wrote:

It's simplistic to say giving penalties are "absolutely correct" they are personal interpretations. Some officials give them others wouldn't. Most observers would agree Ota didn't deliberately handle the ball. There was overwhelming agreement on the BBC HYS post match, that the penalties were unfair, (even from fans of other rival clubs like Utd and Liverpool). Ota was trying to move his arm out of the way and the ball hit him. I realise handballs are given more frequently on the continent than in England. I don't agree that the referee was wrong not to give it.
Viewing live footage in slow motion can give a misrepresentative view of speed.
Last edited by Plain Speaking on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Plain Speaking

Postby Nick » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:29 am

How the fuck can anyone think otamendi was a hand ball :lol:
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby stevefromdonny » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:47 am

why didn't the var ref flag up that serg got a elbow in the face,that should of been a red and would of helped us to win before pens
stevefromdonny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: any1 who plays for city

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:43 am

Nickyboy wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:

It is clearly stated in the laws. Any part of the body that can legally touch the ball can be offside.

I think it would be clearer if both attackers' and, more importantly, defenders' positions were defined by one particular part of the body. The head, perhaps.

I'd like to see interpretation taken away as much as possible.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:44 am

stevefromdonny wrote:why didn't the var ref flag up that serg got a elbow in the face,that should of been a red and would of helped us to win before pens

I think you have answered your own question there, mate.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum