Fixture congestion causing problems w/ scheduling the derby

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Fixture congestion causing problems w/ scheduling the derby

Postby JamieMCFC » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:49 pm

Manchester United's FA Cup quarterfinal pairing with Wolverhampton Wanderers has complicated plans to re-schedule the Old Trafford derby against Manchester City for the first week of April, sources have told ESPN FC.

United had been due to host City in the 178th Manchester derby on March 16 but the fixture has now been postponed due to both clubs being involved in the FA Cup that weekend.

Discussions between the two Manchester clubs, the Premier League and local authorities had led to plans being centred on United and City meeting on either April 2 or 3.

But with United and Wolves due to meet in the Premier League at Molineux on April 6 -- the date of the first FA Cup semifinal -- that fixture must also now be re-scheduled with one of the two clubs guaranteed a place in the last four. With Wolves and United needing to find a new date in the calendar for their league game, the two clubs could schedule the fixture on April 2 or 3, potentially forcing the Manchester derby to be pushed back until late April.

No decision on a new date for United vs. City is expected to be confirmed until after the second leg of City's Champions League round-of-16 tie against Schalke on March 12, with dates in the weeks commencing April 8 and 15 available if both Manchester clubs fail to reach the quarterfinals. If United and City make it through to the FA Cup semifinals and are then drawn against each other, there may be little appetite on both sides to stage a such a crucial Premier League derby, for United's top four aspirations and City's title ambitions, in the midweek before the cup semis at Wembley.

With United needing to overturn a 2-0 Champions League first-leg deficit against Paris Saint-Germain at Parc des Princes on March 6, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's team are outsiders in their bid to progress to the quarterfinals.

But if City continue in the Champions League and reach the latter stages, at the same time as overcoming Swansea to book a place in the FA Cup semifinals, Pep Guardiola's team will face an increasingly congested fixture list.

City will have to rearrange their home game against Cardiff City on April 6 if they reach the FA Cup semifinals, with April 2 or 3 and April 23 the only dates currently available. The Premier League season ends on May 12, with no scope for outstanding league fixtures to be played after that date.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/manchester-u ... ed-sources
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Re: Fixture congestion causing problems w/ scheduling the de

Postby Dubciteh » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:56 pm

Sky will make it second last game of the season and pray the title is on the line....
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:34 pm

Dubciteh wrote:Sky will make it second last game of the season and pray the title is on the line....

I've been saying it for weeks.
However, I do have a feeling it might be last chance saloon for our opponents by then.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:34 pm

Dubciteh wrote:Sky will make it second last game of the season and pray the title is on the line....

Second chance to win it vs them would be great
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby budfox » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:40 pm

Just give us the points and have done with it.
budfox
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Kev

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:34 pm

Anybody would think it was planned!

Just think, Sky must've thought we'd both be battling for the PL, so that's fucked, but they always had the fallback of the Dippers.

Scheduling, eh, anybody can do this shit.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:38 am

A rag I know has said if we needed 4 goals to win the league v them he would start a conga after the 4th FUCK THE VERMIN he said !
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby nottsblue » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:23 am

Hazy2 wrote:A rag I know has said if we needed 4 goals to win the league v them he would start a conga after the 4th FUCK THE VERMIN he said !

Be interesting to know what the likes of Camelgob, Chuckle, Scholes et all, would think in the scenario of a City win wins us the PL and a rag one means the dippers win it. They are always bleating on how the rivalry between them and the dippers is bigger than with us.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby john@staustell » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:53 am

nottsblue wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:A rag I know has said if we needed 4 goals to win the league v them he would start a conga after the 4th FUCK THE VERMIN he said !

Be interesting to know what the likes of Camelgob, Chuckle, Scholes et all, would think in the scenario of a City win wins us the PL and a rag one means the dippers win it. They are always bleating on how the rivalry between them and the dippers is bigger than with us.

Never did work out why. I think they have been rivals for the League about twice
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby nottsblue » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:01 pm

john@staustell wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

Never did work out why. I think they have been rivals for the League about twice

I know. Mentioned a while back that in the last 50 years theyve rivalled for the title probably 4/5 times at a push. Chelsea or Arsenal have been challenging more often
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:59 am

Just as the fixtures get congested, there is a 2 week international break coming up. Hopefully all our important players pull out and for once commit to city over a couple of international games
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Return to The Maine Football forum