Soooo..

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Soooo..

Postby PaulieIrish » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:58 pm

So we talk on here for some time about mis justices. Last year it was , “if we had VAR, we would have gone thru against the dippers.” And in the PL, there’s many examples of where we’d have done better. Possibly more penny’s against the dippers, the wolves handball, and also goals deducted from the dippers.

Ok. Now that we’ve started to see what VR really brings, what do people think now? Is it really the great ‘fairness’ that we all hoped for?

After We’d I was hugely pessimistic. But since then I’ve read articles that quoted the letter of the law, and how the 2 pennos against us were correct. Now my big hope is that the letter of the law gets applied equally to all sides. But I truly worry that will occur...
PaulieIrish
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Re: Soooo..

Postby PaulieIrish » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:01 am

Oh, and while I’m at it, it seems the best way to get to an answer on this site is to call someone a cunt, or threaten to hit someone.

So if you answer, I won’t do either. Otherwise , sleep safe
PaulieIrish
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:58 am

VAR has just been implemented in the Champs League so there’s bound to be teething problems and mistakes and misinterpretations will happen. However in the long run I think it will work well just as it did in the World Cup and has been for years in other sports such as Rugby, Cricket and American football.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby PrezIke » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:17 am

It needs time. Too much kneejerking and luddites (IMHO) seeking it to fail. Pep made the correct argument about it.

The refs, players, etc. are just not used to it and it some things need working out.

It will get better, but never be perfect. Some decisions may not be agreed upon, but those that are more clear cut will be far more likely to be ruled correctly.

The decisions I remember against us last season against Liverpool were far more clear.

The problem in the Schalke game was also very much about the apparent lack of agreement about what the "letter of the law" is regarding handballs in the penalty box.

As for the time it took, there was also some technical issue so that's why the first one took so long.

I think it will be better for the game over the long term.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby john@staustell » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:02 am

Injustices?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:28 am

It seems to be being used to alter the outcome of games rather than implementing the regulations.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Bluemoon4610 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:50 am

IF it is used in accordance with the regulations it has been brought in with, IF it is used fairly for all decisions and IF it is used to implement the "laws of the game" correctly EVERY TIME, then it will make for fairer, and hopefully correct, match results. However, there are too many IFs in there. Until we hear what is being said during the reviews, like in rugby and (I think) cricket, there will still be too many grey areas for me to trust it fully.
Bluemoon4610
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:59 am

It's solving nothing so far.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Woodyblue » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:10 am

Nah, definitely a change for the better, long overdue. It would be interesting to see all the wrong decisions (injustices) from last season applied to each team and see what difference it would’ve made.
Woodyblue
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mario Ballotelli

Postby The Maine Man » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:29 am

It is only good for the decisions that the officials choose to use it for. So they could ignore the City penalty call, then look at (and give) the Liverpool one. It does provide an argument against bent refereeing for the media and sheep, "VAR was used, so it can't have been corrupt". I have no doubt it can improve things, but not in the hands of bent governing bodies. It needs to be transparent (the public see the view the VAR officials see) and either team can request VAR intervention. Otherwise it's business as usual.
The Maine Man
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby london blue 2 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:32 am

I was all up for it but if it’s handled the way it was the other night I’d rather fuck it off and let the games flow.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Scatman » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:32 am

The thing that has been bothering me is that I'm sure I heard at the world cup that its purpose was to correct clear/obvious mistakes by the referee, and not to ensure that the letter of the law is applied in every case. If something such as Otter's handball can't be agreed on after numerous camera angles, or Aguero's final goal against Arsenal, then how can either decision be reversed based on it being a clear error by the ref?
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby brite blu sky » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:26 am

Technology by default is a neutral force, in itself it cannot determine left or right, good or bad.

essentially it is how it is used or applied, so in essence VAR is still open to abuse and manipulation.

If you see VAR as a method to simply get a higher resolution around incidents that happen in a game, then yes it has the potential to aid the
refereeing. The officials are gaining cyborg eyes with this shit.

The key for me is who sees the VAR footage. Its abuse hinges on that.
If eventually the VAR system allows fans to see what the VAR officials are looking at in real time as they do it, on big screens then and only then can it
become less likely to be abused, as the decision making process will be there for all to see.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby nottsblue » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:26 am

Was not a fan beforehand for the reason of who implements it and decides? The existing refereeing body PGMOL? No thanks, they are bent enough as it is.

I had/have serious doubts as to whether the consistency which every football fan craves will be there. Let's see how many type of fouls that Fernandinho was penalised for get given in the next lot of CL games that use VAR.

And as for taking nearly 3 minutes to come to a decision and for the on field screen not to work so as not to allow the referee access to a replay of the incident, then that is just incompetence of the highest order.

In short I myself think we get the short straw more often than not currently, and under VAR I don't see that changing
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby RodneyRodney » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:01 pm

The ONLY proper way to implement it is to have a "challenge" system, as in cricket , or the NFL , wherein a
TEAM can call upon it to have a decision reversed.
Otherwise, it's all in the hands of OFFICIALS (i.e. PiGMOL / UEFA) to use , selectively, as they see fit, to implement their agenda.

And we all know what THAT is . . .
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Postby Slim » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:15 pm

It’s going to have problems as we’ve seen. Obviously the rules weren’t clear enough for the ref on Wednesday but once it gets past the teething stage it will be a much needed change.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby budfox » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:49 pm

In theory it's a great idea, give the ref and/or a second team of officials the chance to review an incident and make a correct decision.

What I hate though is the way it interrupts the flow of play, or when 40,000 fans cheer their arses off only to discover that a faceless official 100 miles away has disallowed a goal.

A part of me still prefers not having it though.
budfox
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Kev

Postby Slim » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:00 pm

budfox wrote:In theory it's a great idea, give the ref and/or a second team of officials the chance to review an incident and make a correct decision.

What I hate though is the way it interrupts the flow of play, or when 40,000 fans cheer their arses off only to discover that a faceless official 100 miles away has disallowed a goal.

A part of me still prefers not having it though.

Well that’s the point of contention with our game on Wednesday. The rules stated that the reviewers are only supposed to present the footage to give the ref the chance to review on the sideline monitor. The monitor wasn’t working so essentially they were making the decisions for the ref.

Without that footage being provided to the ref they should not have been looking to VAR at all and should probably have let the captains know it wasn’t going to be an option. I was sure this ref just wanted to make himself the centrepiece of the show though, the pretentious twat.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Return to The Maine Football forum