Next season's strategy

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Next season's strategy

Postby Dimples » Mon May 13, 2019 9:09 pm

Biggest problem is the leaders we turn to in our time of greatest need are nearing the end at 33/34 years of age: Vinny, Dave, Fern & Kun (almost 31).
We need to replace them and what they provide: leadership & footballing skills - not easy. All of them are top class at both aspects.

Priority wise: replace Fern pri1

Sort out the left back position. Can we rely on Mendy?
Sort out the Sane situation. Footballing wise he has the potential to be a B d'OR winner but has he the attitude?
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Tue May 14, 2019 12:21 am

We seem to evolve past needing outright replacements though dont we? We all racked or brains over who could replace Yaya and the answer was nobody.

Could be the same with any of the others and style may change to suit outgoings as much as replacements are sought. That makes it more interesting and scary, but also less of a worry to the board. If for example pep said we couldn’t get another aguero but he could use this wide player to give him better front 3 rotation and in turn they will all score more, who could argue?

KDB is clearly going to take a bigger leadership role going forward and Silva i expect to rotate more with Foden or Gundo. Outside that I’m not sure how we will look next season. I definitely dont subscribe to the theory of if it’s not broke why fix it. We’ve failed at that under Mancini and Pelligrini. Let’s back Pep to do as he sees fit, there is nobody better is there?
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Wooders » Tue May 14, 2019 1:48 am

Keeping Gundo a priority
Phase in Foden - would like to see him a first team regular by the end of the season
New CB, CDM and striker
KDB back to his best
Start to see a plan of replacing some of the ageing stars like Dave (Foden) and Fernandinho (new guy) and even Aguero
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Tue May 14, 2019 7:52 am

I have a feeling a striker has become the biggest priority. Aguero has had a great season again but there were quite a few games towards the end of the season where he looked like he wouldnt score if he carried on all night. And I'm not alone in not being convinced by Jesus, although I'll accept he has never had a proper run in the side. The cupboard looks quote bare in rhe striking department. (Yes I know weve scored a record amount of goals so it sounds a bloody silly thing to say)
Oh and if you don't freshen up your attack, you get found out, as we've experienced before.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby john@staustell » Tue May 14, 2019 9:00 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I have a feeling a striker has become the biggest priority. Aguero has had a great season again but there were quite a few games towards the end of the season where he looked like he wouldnt score if he carried on all night. And I'm not alone in not being convinced by Jesus, although I'll accept he has never had a proper run in the side. The cupboard looks quote bare in rhe striking department. (Yes I know weve scored a record amount of goals so it sounds a bloody silly thing to say)
Oh and if you don't freshen up your attack, you get found out, as we've experienced before.

I'm not desperately sure Jesus is a number 9. He's best running at people
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby john@staustell » Tue May 14, 2019 9:03 am

Wooders wrote:Keeping Gundo a priority
Phase in Foden - would like to see him a first team regular by the end of the season
New CB, CDM and striker
KDB back to his best
Start to see a plan of replacing some of the ageing stars like Dave (Foden) and Fernandinho (new guy) and even Aguero

I'm interested mate - with Foden I must confess I was a bit disappointed with his last 2 performances. Anonymous is kind (apart from a goal). Disappointed because I thought he would actually do better.

So i would say - 'like to him him a first team regular by the end of the season if he proves good enough and steps up to the mark.'

Not 'like to see him a first team regular because he's one of ours/a youngster, etc', even if he can't step up yet?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby PeterParker » Tue May 14, 2019 9:09 am

But why on earth are we still giving Mendy a chance and we don't adress the left back problem?
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue May 14, 2019 9:17 am

PeterParker wrote:But why on earth are we still giving Mendy a chance and we don't adress the left back problem?

Because Zinchenko has stepped up and we won't be able to sell him because of injuries.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Mase » Tue May 14, 2019 9:39 am

We need Otter to stay 100% That's mine/the club's main priority over the summer.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby bigblue » Tue May 14, 2019 2:10 pm

4-4-fucking 2
big man little man up top
get stuck in
don't faff about at the back
attack the wings and whip the crosses in
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue May 14, 2019 2:33 pm

bigblue wrote:4-4-fucking 2
get stuck in

lmao. you forgot a few: defend in numbers, get behind the ball and play for set pieces.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Tue May 14, 2019 2:53 pm

john@staustell wrote:
Wooders wrote:Keeping Gundo a priority
New CB, CDM and striker
KDB back to his best

I'm interested mate - with Foden I must confess I was a bit disappointed with his last 2 performances. Anonymous is kind (apart from a goal). Disappointed because I thought he would actually do better.

So i would say - 'like to him him a first team regular by the end of the season if he proves good enough and steps up to the mark.'

Not 'like to see him a first team regular because he's one of ours/a youngster, etc', even if he can't step up yet?

There's no reason to doubt Foden from the last two games, it is typical Of younger players, hot and cold. Maintaining the level, even when you're a bit off-key, comes around 23, with experience and as your body finishes growing. He has the technique and attitude, I trust Pep to develop him properly. He won't start every game next season, or the one after, but will grow into the job.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby fangsanalsatan » Tue May 14, 2019 3:58 pm

get stuck in

After seeing Burnley's impressive display, I've become an advocate of the big lump x2 partnership up front. Sod the little man, just go full route one. Four hard-working midfielders across the pitch, maybe a converted fullback or two on the outside. Four centre backs. Stay narrow, leave no space between the lines, don't water the pitch. Job's a good 'un.
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Re: Next season's strateg

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue May 14, 2019 8:27 pm

have to set your targets high...
league - 102 points for 100 / 3 yr average
retain the cups we’ve won
reach the cl final
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby PeterParker » Wed May 15, 2019 6:13 pm

If we win the first 5 games next year do they add to the 14 in row we have now? Or the numbers start over.

I was thinking we might pass our own record.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby nottsblue » Wed May 15, 2019 6:39 pm

PeterParker wrote:If we win the first 5 games next year do they add to the 14 in row we have now? Or the numbers start over.

I was thinking we might pass our own record.

That would be correct. Stats like consecutive wins etc carry over from season to season
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby sheblue » Thu May 16, 2019 7:48 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I have a feeling a striker has become the biggest priority. Aguero has had a great season again but there were quite a few games towards the end of the season where he looked like he wouldnt score if he carried on all night. And I'm not alone in not being convinced by Jesus, although I'll accept he has never had a proper run in the side. The cupboard looks quote bare in rhe striking department. (Yes I know weve scored a record amount of goals so it sounds a bloody silly thing to say)

Its difficult to see a striker as the main priority. Yes Sergio is slowing a bit and has been, but he will be good for another season.We have Jesus, Sterling, B Silva, Sane (if he stays), possibly Mahrez, Foden who have an eye for the net. Then add a rejuvenated KDB who should be capable of getting into double figures, easily.

Of course depending upon who goes and who stays, the priority is a replacement for Fern and a defender.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby PeterParker » Thu May 16, 2019 9:02 am

I think the football world is missing strikers like they those from 10-20 years ago.

I couldn't, genuine, think of someone really good that could replace Sergio or Jesus.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby PeterParker » Sun May 19, 2019 10:40 am

I think we know now why Manglers contract was extended.
So Vinnie and the club talked a while back and decided this outcome. Fair play to them and for everyone around.

So probably Otter is going also and this means we are either buying a big name defender (de Ligt) or two more will come.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Hazy2 » Sun May 19, 2019 11:03 am

Sideshow Bob wrote:
get stuck in

lmao. you forgot a few: defend in numbers, get behind the ball and play for set pieces.

Run around like a loony, like Joey did, kick it, boot it, stop passing it ffs :D
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum