Lawro FA cup Final Predictions + Some Radio DJ's

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Lawro FA cup Final Predictions + Some Radio DJ's

Postby Wonderwall » Fri May 17, 2019 2:46 pm

Premier League champions Manchester City are looking to complete an unprecedented treble when they face Watford in this weekend's FA Cup final.
Can the Hornets spring a surprise and collect the first major honour in their 121-year history? Or will City's domestic dominance continue and see Pep Guardiola's side seal another win at Wembley to go with their victories in the Community Shield and the Carabao Cup in 2018-19?

Lawro has some guests this week, for the final he is up against Radio 1 DJs Annie Mac and Danny Howard, and Radio 1Xtra DJ Reece Parkinson.

Annie Mac
Annie will be doing a DJ set live from Wembley before the final and said: "It's been a really interesting and exciting project for all of us on the show.
"Our job is to soundtrack people's lives but the job of sound-tracking one of the biggest games in English football has been a really wonderful challenge."
Annie Predicts City 2-1 Watford

Danny Howard
Danny added: "My heart desperately wants Watford to do this but in the form that City are in and the way they demolished Brighton on the last day of the Premier League season, I can only see this trophy going one way… back up the M6!"
Danny Predicts City 3-1 Watford

Reece Parkinson
Reece agrees, explaining: "I just can't see Watford getting a result out of this and even giving them a goal is me being nice (sorry Watford fans).
"But I have got Raheem Sterling getting the first then it's the Sergio Aguero show."
Reece Predicts City 4-1 Watford

LAWRO'S FA CUP FINAL PREDICTION & PREVIEW
Watford are a physical side and they will surely try use that to their advantage.
So I would be very surprised if Pep does not pick Vincent Kompany to deal with Hornets striker Troy Deeney, especially because of the part City's captain has played in their run-in.
Kompany was far from a regular earlier in the campaign, even when was fit, but the 33-year-old has started six of their past seven games.
He is not just City's skipper, he is the best out-and-out defender they have, even if they have other defenders who are better than him on the ball.
I am not really expecting any surprises from the rest of the City line-up either.

They have won their past 14 league games to clinch the title and now they want to become the first team to do a domestic treble, so Pep will pick his strongest line-up - there is no point him messing around with it.

It is a little weird that no team has done this treble before, but then only seven different English clubs have done the Double of league title and FA Cup since 1888.
Who has done the Double?
Team Number of times Seasons
Man Utd 3 1993-94, 1995-96, 1998-99
Arsenal 3 1970-71. 1997-98, 2001-02
Preston 1 1888-89
Aston Villa 1 1896-97
Tottenham 1 1960-61
Liverpool 1 1985-86
Chelsea 1 2009-10
If City win on Saturday it will be only the 12th time that anyone has achieved the feat in 131 years, and the first since Chelsea in 2009-10.

They already have the Carabao Cup in their trophy cabinet and the Community Shield too, and it is going to take something very special to stop them on Saturday.

Deulofeu could be the wildcard Watford need

Win or lose, it has been a very good campaign for Watford, who have managed to finish the season with the same manager they started it with, which is a massive success by their recent standards.

Joking aside, they look a more settled side because they have stuck with their coach, and also because of his personality. Javi Gracia is very calm and does not get carried away with any individual results - win, lose or draw.

Watford will have Jose Holebas available after his red card in their final-day defeat by West Ham was overturned, and it is a big boost that it looks like Gerard Deulofeu will be fit for their first FA Cup final since 1984.

Deulofeu has started to look like the player Everton thought they were getting when they signed him from Barcelona in 2015, and the Hornets have got quality in the centre of their midfield too in Abdoulaye Doucoure and Etienne Capoue.

Up front, as well as the brawn of Deeney, I like Andre Gray too, who has scored some important late goals for them this season.

To sum them up, I'd describe them as competitive and consistent - that is, most of their players are always a solid 7/10. They don't put in any absolute stinkers the way some other Premier League sides do.

I know they ended the season with three straight defeats, but I think having the FA Cup final on the horizon played a part in that.

It seems they have a little bit of everything in their side but you do feel that, when they play a top-six side, if the top-six side plays well then they will beat them.

Watford vs the Premier League's top-six teams in 2018-19
Opponent Watford at home Watford away
Man City L 1-2 L 1-3
Liverpool L 0-3 L 0-5
Chelsea L 1-2 L 0-3
Tottenham W 2-1 L 1-2
Arsenal L 0-1 L 1-2
Man Utd L 1-2 L 0-2
That is certainly what happened this season - a 2-1 home win over Spurs in September was the only occasion they avoided defeat in 12 games against those team in 2018-19

Will Watford repeat Wigan shock?
We know City always have a lot of possession, but people don't always recognise they have got great width, and I am expecting them to really stretch Watford out wide.

Watford won't see much of the ball, and I don't see them creating many chances - so they have to make every set-piece count.
Realistically, though, their chances of success rest on whether they can stop City from scoring.
I know Wigan famously did that in the 2013 FA Cup final and won the game late on, but this feels like a very different situation. This City team are certainly different. They are serial winners, and they know how to get over the line.

I remember when I was at Liverpool, if we got one trophy wrapped up one weekend and had a chance of another the next week, then by the Tuesday we were ready to go again - with the thinking 'let's win this one too, and then we can have a proper party'.

The 2011 FA Cup was the first trophy City won in the modern era, and with four league titles and four league cups following in the past eight years, they have not really looked back since.

This is their first FA Cup final since 2013 but they have been to Wembley four times already this season alone, and I am expecting them to get the same result this time as they did on each of those visits - another win.

Lawro's prediction: Man City 2-0 Watford

Sky wankers have not bothered to do anything on the FA CUP because they dont have the right and are bitter bastards
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: Lawro FA cup Final Predictions + Some Radio DJ's

Postby nottsblue » Fri May 17, 2019 4:49 pm

^^^^^^^^
Plus Sky will be desperate for a Watford win. Anything that means we don’t get an unprecedented Treble which further pisses on their beloved rags and dippers.

See Lawro can’t quite escape his customary 2-0. Take that all day long. The result in a cup final is all that matters
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby budfox » Fri May 17, 2019 5:35 pm

Physical side, skillful side, defense-minded side, counter-attacking side, quick side, tactically adept side, balanced side.... I couldn't give a fuck.

We've beaten all who've stood in our way at least once this season, almost every fucking one of them twice, and some even three times.

No worries about this one from me, history awaits again.
budfox
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Kev

Postby zuricity » Fri May 17, 2019 6:26 pm

I think this has to be the last time we put ourselves through the pain of discussing what this piss soddened cushion stain has to say , surely ?
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Return to The Maine Football forum