Treble or Centurions?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

In decades' time, which team will be spoken of as a reference point?

The Centurions of 2018
9%
The Treble-winning team of 2019
42%
Both pretty much equally
49%

Total votes : 43

Treble or Centurions?

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sat May 18, 2019 7:52 pm

Which of the two teams (at lest as a phrase) do you think newspapers (or whatever exists then) in decades to come will be used as a yardstick for future success?

Curious to see which people think will be the more unattainable of the two in the long term.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Re: Treble or Centurions?

Postby Blue Philistine » Sat May 18, 2019 7:58 pm

Largely because there's a unanimous verdict (outside of City) that every single team in England was apparently atrocious and we were average last season, the Treble... but, you'll have to ask this next year as my reasoning is because of the 97 points Liverpool got. "That season Liverpool got a record number of points and made it to UCL final. And oh yeah, City won the poor mans treble".The nation might not even remember this treble if Dippers win the UCL this season and get a PL title next.. Nightmare material, i know.

Just heard a Scouse on radio saying we aren't on Liverpool's level.. Because we aren't in the "big boys" competition. Make of that what you fucking will.
Blue Philistine
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: Witton Albion
My favourite player is: Bernie Silva

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sat May 18, 2019 8:08 pm

Since all the personnel are basically the same, I suspect (hope) it will be seen as one double-length glorious season with 5 real trophies.

If I have to choose though, I would say this season because the challenges have been so much greater.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby budfox » Sat May 18, 2019 8:18 pm

This season, all day long.

100 points was amazing but we won so easily there was very little pressure on us over the closing couple of months.

This time, 14 straight wins to win by a point, when just one slip and the dippers win it. Just one goal from 100 points again, and a treble that may never be done again.
budfox
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Kev

Postby bigblue » Sat May 18, 2019 8:41 pm

budfox wrote:This season, all day long.

100 points was amazing but we won so easily there was very little pressure on us over the closing couple of months.

This time, 14 straight wins to win by a point, when just one slip and the dippers win it. Just one goal from 100 points again, and a treble that may never be done again.

Agree, especially since it's lead to insane levels of bitterness from the dippers. The comments sections of our match thread from today on the Guardian & BBC are unreal. Complete meltdowns. And I'm loving it :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sat May 18, 2019 9:11 pm

I’ve got to say this season for a thing we all laughed down nearly coming off. Who had that story that pep had been told to go all out for all 5 trophies and it got laughed down? Well he ended up about 3 games short in the end, but for VAR we might be playing again for the last one.

It really is remarkable that despite not getting what he wanted in the cl that he juggled a real go at it with winning every other thing there was. Not binning off either cup the way them history making losers do is another reason why I love pep.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby mr_nool » Sat May 18, 2019 9:24 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:I’ve got to say this season for a thing we all laughed down nearly coming off. Who had that story that pep had been told to go all out for all 5 trophies and it got laughed down? Well he ended up about 3 games short in the end, but for VAR we might be playing again for the last one.

It really is remarkable that despite not getting what he wanted in the cl that he juggled a real go at it with winning every other thing there was. Not binning off either cup the way them history making losers do is another reason why I love pep.

I think what we've done this season is utterly outstanding. We had a close to perfect season last year, but still Pep managed to motivate an almost unchanged squad and get them to perform even better. OK, we didn't get 100 points this time, but we were under far more pressure this time around. To win 14 games on the trot to win the league is just unbelievably good. That we won both domestic cups is well makes it pretty much the perfect season.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Dameerto » Sun May 19, 2019 9:32 am

I never thought we'd get better than last season, but we just did. 169 goals in all competitions (beating our own joint record of 144 last season), playing near enough two games a week for large parts of the season (most of it without someone as influential as KDB missing through injury), finishing the league with 14 straight wins, and a domestic treble (plus tin pot shield thingie) - when you take in the context we have been close to perfection this season and better than last. Now my tiny mind can't imagine us getting any better, and City will very probably prove me wrong again...
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby nottsblue » Sun May 19, 2019 9:42 am

Both were unprecedented.

100 points have never been done and was widely regarded as being impossible
The treble obviously had never been done and the fixture congestion it entails was a huge factor in its attainability.

We have done both. Unprecedented feats in consecutive seasons. And with 98 points to follow up a 100 point season with the two domestic pots as well.

I voted equal, as much because they did follow one another as anything.

I wonder what next season will bring?
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby dazby » Sun May 19, 2019 10:48 pm

It will all get swept under the carpet like it never happened.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby CTID Hants » Sun May 19, 2019 10:51 pm

Other than City bretheran I've not even heard anyone refer to us as the the centurions of last season.
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Return to The Maine Football forum