2019/2020 Premier League rule changes

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: 2019/2020 Premier League rule changes

Postby fangsanalsatan » Thu May 23, 2019 1:52 pm

bigblue wrote:[...] and attackers not being allowed in the wall are both completely unnecessary rules.

What's unnecessary about that? What the hell are attackers doing in walls in the first place? Should have been binned years ago, same as defenders shepherding the ball out of play without touching it. Absolute nonsense both of it. Outright obstruction and nothing else.
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Postby patrickblue » Thu May 23, 2019 5:41 pm

fangsanalsatan wrote:
bigblue wrote:[...] and attackers not being allowed in the wall are both completely unnecessary rules.

What's unnecessary about that? What the hell are attackers doing in walls in the first place? Should have been binned years ago, same as defenders shepherding the ball out of play without touching it. Absolute nonsense both of it. Outright obstruction and nothing else.

Attackers are in the wall to make gaps, and generally disrupt the wall, so there is some sort of purpose to it.
But TBH, I tend to agree with you, especially on your second point, obstruction, pure and simple. In fact I'm trying to remember why and when it became not only acceptable, but the norm.
Think it was during the rag heyday.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby nottsblue » Thu May 23, 2019 6:51 pm

patrickblue wrote:
fangsanalsatan wrote:

Attackers are in the wall to make gaps, and generally disrupt the wall, so there is some sort of purpose to it.
But TBH, I tend to agree with you, especially on your second point, obstruction, pure and simple. In fact I'm trying to remember why and when it became not only acceptable, but the norm.

The bullshit about taking it into the corner flag. Never understood it as the ball was invariably lost straight away. Far better to just continue to pass the ball around
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby mr_nool » Thu May 23, 2019 9:03 pm

patrickblue wrote:
fangsanalsatan wrote:

In Sweden when I was a kid (80's), it was a skill every defender was supposed to master to perfection. I.E. it's been around since before the rag's PL success.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby zuricity » Thu May 23, 2019 9:12 pm

mr_nool wrote:
patrickblue wrote:
fangsanalsatan wrote:

In Sweden when I was a kid (80's), it was a skill every defender was supposed to master to perfection. I.E. it's been around since before the rag's PL success.

Yeah , but it's still obstruction and should be punished with a free kick .
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby mr_nool » Thu May 23, 2019 9:41 pm

zuricity wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
patrickblue wrote:
fangsanalsatan wrote:

Yeah , but it's still obstruction and should be punished with a free kick .

I agree with that. Just saying that it's been around for longer than PB thinks.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:33 pm

There's one really interesting bit in here.....:

Handball

Old law: Handling the ball must be deliberate. The two things taken into account are the movement of a player's arm towards the ball and the distance between them and whoever last played the ball.

New law: If a player deliberately touches the ball they are penalised, but a foul will also be given if they create a chance or score a goal from an accidental handball. Any incident where a player's arms have been raised above shoulder-height is also likely to be given, or if they have made their body 'unnaturally' bigger.

However, if the ball hits a player's hand or arm from close-range, their arm is close to the body or used to support their body while falling will usually not be punished.

Why? IFAB say 'greater clarity' is needed over the existing handball rules - which have often been criticised for trying to quantify intent. They say certain accidental incidents, which are now incorporated in the laws of the game, should not 'be accepted'.

VAR

Old law: For any infringement or stoppage the referee's decision is final, although they may overturn it before play restarts.

New law: Goals, penalties, red cards and cases of mistaken identity will be taken on by VAR in the Premier League, having already been adopted in competitions including the Champions League, FA Cup and World Cup.

Each referee will be assisted by a team of VAR assistants at Stockley Park, the Premier League match officials' base, who will advise them on those situations, but they will also be able to review decisions through a television screen on the touchline.

Referees will also be able to make players return to the pitch even if they have already blown the half-time or full-time whistle, if they use the VAR review monitor to overturn a decision made before the half had ended.

To aid communication within stadiums, graphics will also be displayed to explain when a decision is being reviewed - and as appropriate and where possible, the Premier League has announced video clips will be shown on screens to explain the reasons behind a decision being made too.

Why? Premier League clubs voted to introduce VAR from the start of 2019/20 last November. During last summer's World Cup, it was said to have improved the accuracy of refereeing decisions to 99.3 per cent.

Substitutions

Old law: Although players are not required to leave the pitch via the half-way line, in most circumstances they would do so.

New law: Players must leave the pitch by the nearest point on the touchline unless the referee allows them to leave on the half-way line for safety or injury reasons.

Why? The IFAB have said they are trying to crack down on time-wasting by shortening the distance it takes for a player to leave the pitch.

Goal kicks

Old law: When a goal kick is taken, all players from either side apart from the player taking the kick should be outside the penalty area, and the ball is not considered in play until it has left the area.

New law: The ball is in play from the moment it is kicked and moves. Opposition players still in the area because they have not had time to leave are permitted, and can intercept the goal kick.

Why? IFAB have experimented with this law and say it has resulted in 'a faster and more dynamic restart to the game' from goal kicks.

Yellows and reds

Old law: Play may not be restarted until the referee has finished issuing a yellow or red card, if they have decided to award one.

New law: If the attacking team wishes and the referee has not started to issue the card, they can take a quick free-kick at this point so long as it creates a goalscoring opportunity. The referee will then issue the card when the ball next goes out of play.

However, if the referee was about to send off the player who has given away the foul for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity, they will only receive a yellow card if the attacking team takes the quick free-kick.

Why? IFAB say it is unfair if an attack is 'lost' to give out a yellow or red card, as quick free-kicks are already allowed if there is no card involved.

Dropped balls

Old law: Anywhere on the pitch, any player from either side may contest a dropped ball.

New law: If a dropped ball is given inside either penalty area, it is dropped for the defending team's goalkeeper when play restarts.

For dropped balls outside the penalty area, the ball is dropped for a player on whichever team last touched the ball. All other players must remain at least 4.5 yards away from the ball until play restarts.

Why? The IFAB say the current rules can be exploited and that giving the ball back to the team in possession is the fairest way to fix it.

And the rest...

Here is a quick rundown of the main other changes to keep an eye on:

The team who wins the toss can choose whether to take kick-off.

All opposition players must be at least two metres from the point on the touchline where a throw-in is taken.

Attacking players must stay at least a yard away from a defensive wall containing three or more defending players at a free-kick.

'Illegal' celebrations can still be punished with a yellow card even if the goal is ruled out.

Team officials can be given yellow and red cards if they fail act in a 'responsible manner'.

If the ball strikes the referee and leads to a change of possession, a chance or a goal, a drop ball is given.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11740961/premier-league-rules-var-handball-different-goal-kicks-and-more
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:40 pm

I do not understand why there is any need to change the laws of the game for possible time wasting................all the prick has to do is stop his fuckign watch for every second these cunts time waste.

They would soon understand that for every fucking time wasting seconds they take will be added onto the refs stop watch.

The mind boggles why the FA have to make a mountain out of a molehill.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:20 pm

I agree. But it also is an eyesore for the fan and TV viewer
Saul Goodman

Postby Justified logic » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:44 pm

If I remember hearing it correctly they tried ball hits arm in any circustane in penalty area = penalty in S America a few years ago and then abandonded it because the attackers were just kicking the ball at the defenders' arms.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby CTID Hants » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:31 pm

Justified logic wrote:If I remember hearing it correctly they tried ball hits arm in any circustane in penalty area = penalty in S America a few years ago and then abandonded it because the attackers were just kicking the ball at the defenders' arms.

A bit like in the chumps league final you mean?
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby bigblue » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:00 pm

Will the ref tell the players that he is planning to give a red before they take a freekick? Otherwise the players don't have the info they need to make a proper decision
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Saul Goodman » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:41 pm

bigblue wrote:Will the ref tell the players that he is planning to give a red before they take a freekick? Otherwise the players don't have the info they need to make a proper decision

That rule is so sketchy. Ref going to give a red but if the attacking team goes quickly then they hurt themselves because the card is switched to yellow? What the hell?
Saul Goodman

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum