Harry Maguire

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Harry Maguire

Postby Hazy2 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:48 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:Not for me, he reminds me of the Phil Jones hype when he was at Blackburn. Not for me, move along please.

Have we forgot how good he is on the ball, he is no Phil Jones. If his audition was at our place recently.....

Brilliant at taking the ball out of defence, extremely difficult to knock off it but it's his speed of thought and passing is where I'd be concerned, not sure he's up to that short, sharp passing game at the back, a bit too clunky in his movement.

Never seen him done for pace. right age, Pep would make him a world beater at a cost TBF.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby budfox » Tue May 21, 2019 12:56 pm

Not even close to being good enough for City.
budfox
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Kev

Postby sheblue » Tue May 21, 2019 3:17 pm

Very over rated.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby PeterParker » Tue May 21, 2019 4:37 pm

I will say yes. We need top squad players if Stones & Laporte will be our defence next year. I think Maguire is quite a good squad player to have and most of all, a fella that he proved himself in the league that he is good. He is 26 years old so I would rather have someone we know instead of paying a shitload of money for someone from another country.

Sadly, I think de Ligt is not going to happen, with him going to Barcelona. Would had been very interesting to have him around.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:38 pm

Stones and Laporte are not good enough to lead a defence that has ambitions to challenge in Europe and Harry Maguire is certainly no where near good enough.
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby salford city » Wed May 22, 2019 6:02 am

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:Stones and Laporte are not good enough to lead a defence that has ambitions to challenge in Europe and Harry Maguire is certainly no where near good enough.

I would add the full-backs to that but would say a Fern replacement in the middle may change that dynamic. Both Laporte and Stones are decent on the ball and have pace to cover the inevitable counters. Mendy aside, the full-backs are mostly dog shite with their distribution. Maguire can carry the ball and is decent in the air, but not an upgrade on either CB and we should not be paying top dollar for a 3/4th choice CB
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Mase » Wed May 22, 2019 6:31 am

salford city wrote:
FA cup winners 2006 wrote:Stones and Laporte are not good enough to lead a defence that has ambitions to challenge in Europe and Harry Maguire is certainly no where near good enough.

I would add the full-backs to that but would say a Fern replacement in the middle may change that dynamic. Both Laporte and Stones are decent on the ball and have pace to cover the inevitable counters. Mendy aside, the full-backs are mostly dog shite with their distribution. Maguire can carry the ball and is decent in the air, but not an upgrade on either CB and we should not be paying top dollar for a 3/4th choice CB

Eh? Zinch is probably one of the best passers of the ball we have at the club!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby salford city » Wed May 22, 2019 6:41 am

Aimed more at walker but Zinchenko has been ropey lately his positioning is shite. We should keep hold of him though - Zinchenko not walker
salford city

Postby Hazy2 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:07 am

I am giving the Fourmidables winners the benefit of the doubt !
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby salford city » Wed May 22, 2019 8:26 am

Hazy2 wrote:I am giving the Fourmidables winners the benefit of the doubt !

Fair comment domestically, but we need to get smarter in the chumps league
salford city

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed May 22, 2019 8:35 am

i think that he has enough quality for pep to turn him into an absolute beast. our best players are humble and are willing to learn and maguire looks like he is in that mould.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Hazy2 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:25 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:

i think that he has enough quality for pep to turn him into an absolute beast. our best players are humble and are willing to learn and maguire looks like he is in that mould.

Well said Nigel.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby salford city » Wed May 22, 2019 10:32 am

Hazy2 wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

Well said Nigel.

He will be joining him in Turin then presumably???? :D :D :D
salford city

Postby Hazy2 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:15 am

salford city wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

Well said Nigel.

He will be joining him in Turin then presumably???? :D :D :D

he helped us win the league tbf. Scored at Klanfield, hesitated at our place.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed May 22, 2019 2:17 pm

He is good with both feet - he would be a great signing IMO...and he only missed 7 games last season due to knee injury...compare that with our defenders missing shed loads of games.

Sign him !
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby salford city » Wed May 22, 2019 3:01 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:He is good with both feet - he would be a great signing IMO...and he only missed 7 games last season due to knee injury...compare that with our defenders missing shed loads of games.

Sign him !

If Stones can keep it in his pants I expect a lot more from him this season. If we lose Nico as well then we will surely be in the market for a CB - just don't think we will spunk it on Maguire this window when we are also in need of replacing Fern, looking at options for a Serge replacement. Mendy is a fucking sick-note so we also need to be wary of that, Zinch we can get away with domestically, but in latter stages of chumps league he is not good enough.

Can see Maguire working in a 3 CB formation so maybe we go there & drop Fern back to make up the fourth CB & rotate him with one of Garcia & Sandler?
salford city

Postby city72 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:11 pm

This is as bad as the Jonny fucking Evans link
city72
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester city

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:21 pm

city72 wrote:This is as bad as the Jonny fucking Evans link

I completely agree and you just know we will get shafted on the fee.

Where has this myth come from that he is good on the ball. He is average at best. In fact everything he does is just average and couple that with poor decision making, poor reading of the game and the turning circle of a articulated lorry, we should stay well clear.

If he wasn't English, not one commentator would be going on about his passing
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Hazy2 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:05 pm

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:

Where has this myth come from that he is good on the ball. He is average at best. In fact everything he does is just average and couple that with poor decision making, poor reading of the game and the turning circle of a articulated lorry, we should stay well clear.

Check out the recent fixture Man City V Lecicster City it rips your post a new one !
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Thu May 23, 2019 12:54 am

Hazy2 wrote:
FA cup winners 2006 wrote:

Check out the recent fixture Man City V Lecicster City it rips your post a new one !

I don't need to check it out, I watched the game and it has no bearing on how he would suit us. Leicester were able to sit back and allow us the ball. They had 2 banks of 4, we will never have that. Maguire gave the ball away a few times (once to zinchenko I think), but nothing really came of it as Leicester had their full backs behind the ball. we don't play that way so that when our centre backs give sloppy passes, everyone else gets caught up the pitch. I think the player with the most passes (best accuracy?) in our team this season was laporte, that says it all.

The one thing you might be claiming proves how Maguire will sit us is his run up the left wing? Was it really that good? I've seen Richard Dunne do similar when playing full back. Even Maguires pad was not that great. Madison had to stop and wait for the ball. It was passed to where Madison was standing at the time Maguire looked up, not on the space he wad running into.

I'm hoping that this is some smokescreen to get someone like de ligt when the international transfer window opens. We simply can't go into a season with Stones Laporte and Maguire
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum