Onc upon a time in Europe

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Onc upon a time in Europe

Postby john68 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:11 am

Just to clarify a couple of things Piccs;

The original 14 clubs were;
ENGLAND;- The rags & Liverpool
SPAIN;- Barcelona & Real Madrid.
GERMANY;- Bayern Munich & Borussia Dortmund
ITALY;- Inter Milan, AC Milan & Juventus
FRANCE;- PSG & Marseille.
NEDERLANDS;- Ajax & PSV
PORTUGAL;- Porto
(You only listed 12 clubs)
Though the above clubs had been meeting from the 1980s and had successfully coerced UEFA, via threat of a breakaway league, into giving them the CL in a revised format that allowed them to maximise their profit, they only formalised the group as late as 2000.

In 2002 the group added Arsenal, Bayer Leverkusen, Valencia & Olympique Lyonnaise.

Apart from the revised CL, they had a major success in 2005/6, when they co-signed with Belgian club Royal Charlerois in a court case against FIFA that had implications for UEFA as well. It effectively took away the rights of those 2 institutions to regulate global & European football. They now only have the right to regulate those competitions thet they themselves own.Notice that in recent years, the portfolio of competititions of both institutions has increased dramatically.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby john68 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:41 am

I have posted this stuff a couple of times already in the far and distant past, but for those who missed it, it may be useful to not a few things.

UEFA is only an administrative body and only has such powers that are given to it by its member clubs. The real power is held by those clubs.

One of the last acts of the G14 was to demand that any decisions UEFA wanted to make should be presented 1st to the G14 for their approval. Platini replied by saying "UEFA represented ALL clubs not just the G14 group and told them to disband the G14 and set up a body representing all European clubs.
The G14 was disbanded and the European Clubs Association was founded.
Although (I believe) almost all European clubs are members), only a small number actually havevoting rights within the ECA. This based on nationality and their European coefficients. At one point, Fulham had voting rights but City did not.

Recently, the ECA signed a new Memoranda of Understanding with UEFA, a legally binding document that compels all clubs that qualify to play in the CL. This document runs out on 2024.
This month (June 2019) the ECA met to discuss the future design of any new competition post 2024, when that document expires.

There are some anomolies regarding G14 membership. Porto were members but neither Benfica nor Sporting Lisbon, were not invited. Chelsea were never members but were invited after the infamous (corrupt?) semi final v Barcelona.
The G14 was disbanded before they could join, though after Chelsea became a threat to England's 2 places, three of the favoured countries (England, Germany, Spain & Italy were given 4 qualifying places and the other given 3 places.

It is important to note that my references to clubs is factually innacurate. None of this has anything to do with football. It is a group of global businesses forming a controlling cartel to create rules in their favour, maximising their profits, ensuring they are, as far as possible, guaranteed a place in the income streams, that their profits are as far as possible protected from any other businesses that challenge their hegemony.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Postby Mase » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:13 am

Great post
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby nottsblue » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:24 am

Assume we arent dining at the top table still, thus thats the reason for the impending court case?

And is the co efficient points system still in place because we would surely be among the elite then for voting purposes?
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:47 am

Coefficient points certainly count in seeding. It's not long ago when the old guard awarded themselves some more. Extra points for past winners. Filth and Milan benefited in a major surprise! It also gave rise to the weird scenario where the then current English Champions (Leicester City) were ranked below a Championship side who had never actually played in that competition, because they'd had success over three decades earlier. Only in Uefaland is this seen as reasonable.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby john68 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:45 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:Coefficient points certainly count in seeding. It's not long ago when the old guard awarded themselves some more. Extra points for past winners. Filth and Milan benefited in a major surprise! It also gave rise to the weird scenario where the then current English Champions (Leicester City) were ranked below a Championship side who had never actually played in that competition, because they'd had success over three decades earlier. Only in Uefaland is this seen as reasonable.

The EUFA coefficients are calculated over a period of 5yrs. Any pts accumulated over 5yrs are removed from the calculations.
Points are given to each club as each round of the CL & EL is completed, higher pts given for CL than EL.
Other pts can be added depending on the performance of a club's national team.

The current list on the EUFA site is;-
1) Real Madrid..........146
2) Barcelona.............138
3) Bayern..................128
4) Atleti.....................127
5) Juventus...............124
6) CITY.....................106
7) Seville...................104
8) PSG......................103
9) Arsenal.................101
10) Porto.....................93

OTHERS
11) Liverpool..........91
12) Chelsea...........87
17) Spurs...............78
18) The Rags........78
john68

Postby Justified logic » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:29 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:Coefficient points certainly count in seeding. It's not long ago when the old guard awarded themselves some more. Extra points for past winners. Filth and Milan benefited in a major surprise! It also gave rise to the weird scenario where the then current English Champions (Leicester City) were ranked below a Championship side who had never actually played in that competition, because they'd had success over three decades earlier. Only in Uefaland is this seen as reasonable.

Don't those extra points for past glories just go into the calculation for how the money pie is divvied up?
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby sheblue » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:22 am

Some great post there John68.
It will be very interesting to see the format of the CL post 2024.
Invitation only rather than by football qualification?
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:23 am

Justified logic wrote:

Don't those extra points for past glories just go into the calculation for how the money pie is divvied up?

They use a ten year coefficient for dividing up a fair chunk of the money apparently. We are ranked 14th on that list. Filth are fifth.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby john68 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:59 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:
Justified logic wrote:

They use a ten year coefficient for dividing up a fair chunk of the money apparently. We are ranked 14th on that list. Filth are fifth.

Piccs, I have been looking, in some detail, at how the change 5yrs to 10yrs changed the financial pay-out rankings.
For the likes of Real, Barca & Bayern etc, the additional previous 5yrs added a shed load of points to their coefficient totals & cemented their positions at the top of the rankings without changing the order of those top positions.
It's outside those top spots that previously succesful clubs like the rags who have largely failed in recent years that the biggest gains and losses have been made.
Particularly noticeable is the rise of the rags & the drop in rankings of City.

I will post the figures on here as soon as I get chance mate....Some changes are quite dramatic.

Worth noting that not long ago, EUFA changed the ruling regarding who qualified for pot 1 etc. Champions of certain countries getting pot 1 automatically.
john68

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum