A Chain is only as strong as its weakest link

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

A Chain is only as strong as its weakest link

Postby zabbadabbado » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:36 pm

Our problem this season. The defence really is Dog shit.

Vinny was a really big loss. Then the La Porte injury. We should have brought in an adequate Center Half replacement for Vinny. We didn’t, we are now really paying the price
Even though we are struggling defensively yesterday we still had £100,000 000 of recruitment sat on the Bench in Mendy/Cancelo.

I didn’t understand why we were not playing our stellar signings in a game of that magnitude.

Should we not be picking our fights until the injury crisis is resolved ?

The Atalanta game in reality was all but a dead rubber. There was no need to put out such a strong side. If Ederson really was carrying a slight niggle in to that game that was aggravated then seriously wtf ?

Why was Mendy even playing in the Atalanta game.

We have to start playing to protect the weakest Link of the Chain which is our defense
Better in game management yesterday I personally think we walk away from that Shit Hole with a win.

Liverpool are not a great side, even “Ole the Salt Jar” had the tactical aptitude to stifle Liverpool attack by going Five at the back and stopping their wing backs.

Not us though. We had a fucking idiot in Net, a defensive Mid who is never a Center Half, alongside John Stones who is starting to look more like a Crack Head by the day.

We cannot play our possession-based game with this defense. It is Keystone Cop stuff every week.

Every aspect of our game is breaking down because of it.

I actually think we already have the means at our disposal to sort this shit out. A simple tweak of pragmatism here and there. Going to Anfield and playing with that formation was dumb, not just dumb ,really dumb. It was asking for trouble. It was the formation that ultimately cost us the game. You have Clowninho in Net you need your best defenders in front of him or a natural like Garcia.

We don’t sort it out we will win nothing this Season. Like I said a Chain is only as Strong as its weakest Link. If the defense is broken everything is broken. We cannot carry on ignoring it the way we are. We cannot keep conceding Goals to every other attack whilst totally dominating the possession.

If Pep wants us to be Champions of Europe, then he needs to manage what he has better through this injury crisis. We are not a shit side. We are a very good side. Playing the way,we do we beat 90% of Option week in week out.

We just need Pep to be pragmatic occasionally against the top sides. Protect the weakest link of the Chain when needed

If he doesn’t, I don’t see us getting much further in the Champions League.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: KDB

Re: A Chain is only as strong as its weakest link

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:43 pm

Mendy wasn't on the bench.

I believe a certain bootlicker mentioned the 100 million worth of defensive players on the bench a couple of times during the game?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby nottsblue » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:44 pm

Got to agree with this
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mase » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:52 pm

Fern isn't a defender. I know everyone hates Otter but he's better than Stones or Fern at CB. He also gives us an option for scoring from a corner.

Trying to fit Fern in defence has been Pep's biggest downfall so far. We've massively missed him in his natural position. Rodri isn't up to speed for the Prem yet and Fern should be protecting the back four.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:35 pm

I hate to say Anfield is a our graveyard. We never get a rub. But with appalling decisions our ability to shit our pants on every visit we are no worse off than most of us thought we would be. I mean as a cherry on the cake piss take they could have appointed Taylor to rinse us, if we had taken 50% of the sitters we missed 3-3 The Premier League as we stand has it's wish scousers on top. But we regroup get some players back who knows they looked like a side that could concede for fun even with the media B.S we should have had a bagful which is not being mentioned. Sadly we look like a side teams will go after home or away.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby PeterParker » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:25 pm

I think, as good as he is, Baldie is either clueless at times or knows something we don't.

There were many times in his regime that he looked bonkers in the squad selection, either in the tactics he used. There are a few that come in mind. The last one that comes into mind is Brighton away when he played Mahrez on the left in the first half an hour and the algerian was zero. Looked so obvious he had to play on the right and finally he did the logic move and put him on the right and the rest is history.

I think he overthinks a lot of things and really over evaluates our squad. The likes of Gundogan or Dave, they aren't great in the case of the german, and old, as Big Dave is in this case, but he still doesn't see the obvious and plays them no matter what.

I think last summer we had to sell 2-3 key players and bring another 3-4 key players. We were at the end of a cicle, this things happen,
We failed to solve our big issue in defence, failed to find a new leader and most of all, failed to understand that everyone will come for our head.

Guardiola is really a mistery. He is both the reason why we are so good and and why we have brainfarts in key moments.
Last edited by PeterParker on Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby sheblue » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:33 pm

PeterParker wrote:I think, as good as he is, Baldie is either clueless at times or knows something we don't.

There were many times in his regime that he looked bonkers in the squad selection, either in the tactics he used. There are a few that come in mind. The last one that comes into mind is Brighton away when he played Mahrez on the left in the first half an hour and the algerian was zero. Looked so obvious he had to play on the right and finally he did the logic move and put him on the left and the rest is history.

I think he overthinks a lot of things and really over evaluates our squad. The likes of Gundogan or Dave, they aren't great in the case of the german, and old, as Big Dave is in this case, but he still doesn't see the obvious and plays them no matter what.

I think last summer we had to sell 2-3 key players and bring another 3-4 key players. We were at the end of a cicle, this things happen,
We failed to solve our big issue in defence, failed to find a new leader and most of all, failed to understand that everyone will come for our head.

Guardiola is really a mistery. He is both the reason why we are so good and and why we have brainfarts in key moments.

It's a funny one because he is a great coach but some of the blunders he makers are glaringly obvious for all to see, except Pep.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Mase » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:39 pm

The blunders come with his arrogance. He's too big headed sometimes. That time when one of our players that was out of favour missed a sitter and he pointed to the directors box going "I told you! I told you!"

I think if he doesn't get his own way, especially with signings, he makes decisions knowing they won't work but that it'll prove him right.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:48 pm

Mase wrote:The blunders come with his arrogance. He's too big headed sometimes. That time when one of our players that was out of favour missed a sitter and he pointed to the directors box going "I told you! I told you!"

I think if he doesn't get his own way, especially with signings, he makes decisions knowing they won't work but that it'll prove him right.

Spot on - its his arrogance that fucks us up.....any other top manager would have played to our strengths yesterday and ensured our defense was well stacked and protected - but no , the cunt goes all out to score and Klopp must have thought its fuckign xmas come early.

When PeP fucks up , he really fucks up and the worst part is , we can all see whats going to happen before it fuckign happens.

I'm still spewing from yesterday...from the officials to PeP himself.

On a side note ; if he really thinks that was an unbelievable performance from us then hes fucking deluded or he knows hes lying to all and sundry.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby PeterParker » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:53 pm

The question is a bit different, because we all seem to agree on Pep.

What would be good to ask is if we reached our very top with him and we can't progress anymore?
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:56 pm

Mase wrote:The blunders come with his arrogance. He's too big headed sometimes. That time when one of our players that was out of favour missed a sitter and he pointed to the directors box going "I told you! I told you!"

His blunders are on the fingers of one Hand , I agree he defies logic, so does 100 points, we are hit with injuries and the back up is either not trusted, or done if Otter is benched for a MF the squads time is up for quite a few. We need fresh ingredients for him to take us on again, it could also be the three year cycle Pep has at his clubs. Even. At full strength we lose ar this ground. So let's see, I think we need a forward a centre half along with a keeper but who wants to be second fiddle and if they do we are no better off Foden, Garcia need games now.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mase » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:10 pm

Hazy2 wrote:

His blunders are on the fingers of one Hand , I agree he defies logic, so does 100 points, we are hit with injuries and the back up is either not trusted, or done if Otter is benched for a MF the squads time is up for quite a few. We need fresh ingredients for him to take us on again, it could also be the three year cycle Pep has at his clubs. Even. At full strength we lose ar this ground. So let's see, I think we need a forward a centre half along with a keeper but who wants to be second fiddle and if they do we are no better off Foden, Garcia need games now.

He said Garcia would play when Laporte got injured. He lied. He won't put him in because he wants to be proven right - that we should have gone out and got Maguire. He's desperate to show that we should have just paid the money.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wooders » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:18 pm

He is right, we should have spent money on a quality CB - Stones need to be 3rd choice really
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby zabbadabbado » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:27 pm

Mase wrote:Fern isn't a defender. I know everyone hates Otter but he's better than Stones or Fern at CB. He also gives us an option for scoring from a corner.

Trying to fit Fern in defence has been Pep's biggest downfall so far. We've massively missed him in his natural position. Rodri isn't up to speed for the Prem yet and Fern should be protecting the back four.

Totally aggree.

We are missing the "Glue" in the Middle of the Pitch that is Fernandinho.He is so composed on the Ball,not only this his passing is really good.

This obsession with Gundogan has to stop.

WTF is Pep seeing in him that City fans are not.

His good games are few and far between,

We have last sesaons best Premier League holding midfiedler playing as cenre half.

Not only is it a waste,it is on the verge of being criminal when you consider our defensive crisis.

I hope Pep will reconsider the Gundogan holding Mid postion..

I think he is a squad player at best.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mase » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:50 pm

Wooders wrote:He is right, we should have spent money on a quality CB - Stones need to be 3rd choice really

We should. Be then maybe Pep should have given the guys more names than Maguire? Instead of focusing on that shit twat we could have gone for someone else? I think he left Nathan Ake to the last minute and Bournemouth probably told us it was too late.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby zabbadabbado » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:53 pm

PeterParker wrote:I think, as good as he is, Baldie is either clueless at times or knows something we don't.

There were many times in his regime that he looked bonkers in the squad selection, either in the tactics he used. There are a few that come in mind. The last one that comes into mind is Brighton away when he played Mahrez on the left in the first half an hour and the algerian was zero. Looked so obvious he had to play on the right and finally he did the logic move and put him on the right and the rest is history.

I remember that at Brighton..No idea what Pep was thinking, Mahrez is a good player that he is so one footed it is unreal.

I felt Pep let stubborness get in the way of the reality of the situation yeserday.We were already up against. i felt he handicapped us because he felt changing the way we play would insult his ego.

Pep stuborness will stop him from achieving true Champions League greatness.

In the three Champions League campaigns Pep has had with us as manager .I have personally felt he alone has been the main reason we have been eliminated on all 3 occasions.The Monaco away debacle where we just needed a draw after going there with Healthy home Leg advantage.It was a Bizzare performance we niether attacked or defended that day,the team didnt know what the fuck he wanted them to do.

The season after in the Champions League we go to Liverpool and gift them goals to take to us in the away leg.We niavely left our self with a mountain to climb.Why not just go there keep it tight hope to nick one late on.

Spurs last season starting with our talisman KDB on the Bench in our most important game of the season....really ?.Sure Kun missed a Penaly that ultimately cost us.That does not escape the fact Pep handicapped us before kick off.

Pep is a great manager back to back Titles playing beautiful, scintilating football.prove that.But occasionaly to achieve true greatness you have to change your game an adapt to a situation.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Postby sheblue » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:40 pm

zabbadabbado wrote:

I remember that at Brighton..No idea what Pep was thinking, Mahrez is a good player that he is so one footed it is unreal.

I felt Pep let stubborness get in the way of the reality of the situation yeserday.We were already up against. i felt he handicapped us because he felt changing the way we play would insult his ego.

Pep stuborness will stop him from achieving true Champions League greatness.

In the three Champions League campaigns Pep has had with us as manager .I have personally felt he alone has been the main reason we have been eliminated on all 3 occasions.The Monaco away debacle where we just needed a draw after going there with Healthy home Leg advantage.It was a Bizzare performance we niether attacked or defended that day,the team didnt know what the fuck he wanted them to do.

The season after in the Champions League we go to Liverpool and gift them goals to take to us in the away leg.We niavely left our self with a mountain to climb.Why not just go there keep it tight hope to nick one late on.

Spurs last season starting with our talisman KDB on the Bench in our most important game of the season....really ?.Sure Kun missed a Penaly that ultimately cost us.That does not escape the fact Pep handicapped us before kick off.

Pep is a great manager back to back Titles playing beautiful, scintilating football.prove that.But occasionaly to achieve true greatness you have to change your game an adapt to a situation.

That's all spot on. But the worrying thing is he is not learning from it.
It's very likely that he is going to make the same mistakes in the later stages of the champions league again this season.
And we will be talking about this all over again.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:52 pm

I do not see us winning the CL, to win it you have to be able to cope with games like yesterday, and we just don't.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:03 pm

In fairness I thought Angelino was damn near our best player so the mendy point wasn’t too big a deal.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:09 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:In fairness I thought Angelino was damn near our best player so the mendy point wasn’t too big a deal.

I think he was an upgrade on Mendy but according to one or 2 on here , he should be nowhere near the first team...they have the same opinion on Foden being well behind every other senior player.

Madness at its peak.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum