Coronavirus - Should Sporting Events Be Cancelled?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

How should we deal with the rest of the season?

Continue as normal, evaluate along the way.
16%
Just ban the older supporters from games.
2%
Play games behind closed doors, games to be shown on a TV.
7%
Postpone games until it all blows over.
18%
Cancel the season and let the current results stand.
5%
Cancel the season in its entirety.
52%

Total votes : 61

Re: Coronavirus - Should Sporting Events Be Cancelled?

Postby bigblue » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:48 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:Whilst I don't fancy the Scousers winning the league and how insufferable that would be, we are well placed in Europe and have as decent chance of retaining the Faculty.
Celebrating the season finishing early feels like cutting off our nose to spite our face.

It'll mean we've won everything there was to win this season
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:42 pm

Looking at the timelines, we are looking at the start of July for us to be coming out of the woods with the main threat coming in At the end of April/start of May. By this point the whole of Europe will be in the grasps of COVID-19 where all games will be/have been postponed.

It looks to me that the commercial arm of the sports media are pushing as many games as possible so that when the main threat subsides they can extend the season to finish off the leagues. Obviously just an assumption but if that’s the case it says that they are willing to take the risk in order to ensure their financial commitments are met.

The issue, of course, is that the Euros are around the corner and they too will not want to risk their 4 yearly pay off. The question is, how do they schedule it so that both league and UEFA get their money?

It’s an interesting conundrum as at each level of governance, National or sporting, none of them will want to make the decision to stop things as their could be repercussions to their own pocket.

All the while we risk the lives of our family members which will be footnoted as ‘Collateral Damage’.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby PeterParker » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:52 pm

Following the latest update from Government issued this afternoon, all Premier League matches will go ahead as scheduled this weekend

Here you have it. Stupidity at it’s finest
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby carolina-blue » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:05 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Following the latest update from Government issued this afternoon, all Premier League matches will go ahead as scheduled this weekend

What am I missing ,,,some of LeArse came into contact with someone who has it , they play a game W H , with no issues they then get told. still no casualties but call off our game due to quarantine
Yet we have a player trained with all our squad
Has contact with family member who has it ,
now In quarantine But our match goes ahead
What did I miss
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:20 pm

carolina-blue wrote:
PeterParker wrote:

What am I missing ,,,some of LeArse came into contact with someone who has it , they play a game W H , with no issues they then get told. still no casualties but call off our game due to quarantine
Yet we have a player trained with all our squad
Has contact with family member who has it ,
now In quarantine But our match goes ahead
What did I miss

Sounds barmy, doesn’t it. Teams we are supposed to play get a pass from the game but when we have the same issue it is OK to play. I’m assuming the PL have purchased their own testing kits now so that clubs can’t play the system and, to be fair, we are sometimes to honest for our own good.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby bigblue » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:29 pm

Arteta and Pablo Dybala now positive with corona and leicester only has 1/2 their team. Surely, they have to postpone the PL this weekend
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:36 pm

bigblue wrote:Arteta and Pablo Dybala now positive with corona and leicester only has 1/2 their team. Surely, they have to postpone the PL this weekend

Knowing this, why have the PL issued their statement or are clubs responding to it?

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby bigblue » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:45 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
bigblue wrote:Arteta and Pablo Dybala now positive with corona and leicester only has 1/2 their team. Surely, they have to postpone the PL this weekend

Knowing this, why have the PL issued their statement or are clubs responding to it?

PL issued their statement about an hour before Arsenal posted the news about Arteta. Not to mention that Watford's players were sent home after the announcement because their training ground is separated by a hedge from Arsenal's.

So I'd say the PL issued the statement without consulting with individual clubs because they were salivating on the ad revenue from being the only football game taking place in the world.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:24 pm

bigblue wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

PL issued their statement about an hour before Arsenal posted the news about Arteta. Not to mention that Watford's players were sent home after the announcement because their training ground is separated by a hedge from Arsenal's.

So I'd say the PL issued the statement without consulting with individual clubs because they were salivating on the ad revenue from being the only football game taking place in the world.

I’d say the opposite, mate, the PL have told the clubs they will play and the clubs are now back lashing, giving the reasons why.

How can you play a game without the manager, or even a single player?

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby PaulieIrish » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:38 pm

With Arteta, possibly Mendy, and god knows who else with possible covid, I think within two weeks the PL will be cancelled or postponed. Sadly, there's no doubt, based on Italy where they were equally loose with measures, that the UK will explode with covid-19 cases.

Given a) England's irresponsibility and slowness to shut down the country and, b) the reality that the PL cannot continue as 2 and more teams go into quarantine, it's increasingly likely that this season should and will be called off.

It's even a joke that we as fans give a shit about who wins.
PaulieIrish
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:54 am

I don’t think anybody cares about who wins now, apart from the Dippers. Some are saying that they should get the trophy by beating their next 2 opponents and calling the league off. But how can you have a league winner and not have a league loser, ie. relegation? The legal ramifications would be huge down the league pyramid with both the top and bottom 3 arguing that the should be promoted/not relegated.

Unless they can move the remaining fixtures after the fallout, which will be very difficult as the players won’t have trained properly, and it will run into the new season, then there is only one outcome, which is void the league.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wooders » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:47 am

Get Simeone on the case, he has already rid Europe of one horrid virus
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:51 am

Beefymcfc wrote:I don’t think anybody cares about who wins now, apart from the Dippers. Some are saying that they should get the trophy by beating their next 2 opponents and calling the league off. But how can you have a league winner and not have a league loser, ie. relegation? The legal ramifications would be huge down the league pyramid with both the top and bottom 3 arguing that the should be promoted/not relegated.

Unless they can move the remaining fixtures after the fallout, which will be very difficult as the players won’t have trained properly, and it will run into the new season, then there is only one outcome, which is void the league.

Leeds. no Promotion :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby nottsblue » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:53 am

Beefymcfc wrote:I don’t think anybody cares about who wins now, apart from the Dippers. Some are saying that they should get the trophy by beating their next 2 opponents and calling the league off. But how can you have a league winner and not have a league loser, ie. relegation? The legal ramifications would be huge down the league pyramid with both the top and bottom 3 arguing that the should be promoted/not relegated.

I think this is spot on. But you can bet your last dollar the FA will fight to have the trophy awarded to the dippers. Given they are only a couple of wins away from sealing it, why else haven't followed the lead of most top leagues in Europe and suspending? Because they know a suspension will in all likelihood lead to an annulment
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Scatman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:57 am

Everton are rumoured to be self isolating now.
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby walshawblue » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:39 am

Look like all games in england will be cancelled until April 4th a meeting going in now the EFLhave already agreed to it and the epl are in discussions at the moment . Lets hope they follow suit but money talks.
Dont think that will be long enough for the virus to clear they should cancel the league altogether
Last edited by walshawblue on Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
BORN TO BE BLUE
walshawblue
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: CITY
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby nottsblue » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:40 am

Wooders wrote:Get Simeone on the case, he has already rid Europe of one horrid virus

:lol: :lol:
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Sideshow Bob » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:44 am

hudson odoi, too. whether the FA like it or not, this weekend's fixtures *are* going to be cancelled.
Last edited by Sideshow Bob on Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby trueblue64 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:44 am

EFL suspended until April 4th.
There's only one mancity and one mancityfans.net

Born blue, still a blue and will die a blue...........

[center]Image[/center]
trueblue64
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: ManCity
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby walshawblue » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:49 am

trueblue64 wrote:EFL suspended until April 4th.

The day we should play the dippers
BORN TO BE BLUE
walshawblue
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: CITY
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum