Coronavirus - Should Sporting Events Be Cancelled?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

How should we deal with the rest of the season?

Continue as normal, evaluate along the way.
16%
Just ban the older supporters from games.
2%
Play games behind closed doors, games to be shown on a TV.
7%
Postpone games until it all blows over.
18%
Cancel the season and let the current results stand.
5%
Cancel the season in its entirety.
52%

Total votes : 61

Re: Coronavirus - Should Sporting Events Be Cancelled?

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:42 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Is it madness to make the over 60,s and anyone else with health problems self isolate for x amount of time and the rest go back to work ?.
Until a vaccine is made available the odds are that we will all get it but it wont fuckign kill us and we will be back to work after x amount of time sick.

Locking up the economy will be catastrophic.

Can someone explain to me why this cannot work ?

Because the UK mentality is that - when (if) it's all over - some 68-year-old will claim it was discriminatory to allow younger people to work, and that it ruined their chances of promotion or their right to fair payment, it will end up at the European Court of Human Rights, where they'll get a multi-billion pound payout, and the company will go under anyway.

Madness to not implement it.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:55 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:i don’t think that there will be another ball kicked this side of xmas.

for anyone who thought i was over reacting....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... lised.html

Coronavirus’s economic danger is exponentially greater than its health risks to the public. If the virus does directly affect your life, it is most likely to be through stopping you going to work, forcing your employer to make you redundant, or bankrupting your business.

On a personal note , I have just completed 3 P&L's with 3 possible scenarios and if the prognosis continues on its grim course next month I will have to reduce my HR by 25% and if the trend continues with no light at the end of the tunnel Ill be shaving the payroll by 75% !!

The economic impact might just kill more fucking people than the virus itself.

Is it madness to make the over 60,s and anyone else with health problems self isolate for x amount of time and the rest go back to work ?.
Until a vaccine is made available the odds are that we will all get it but it wont fuckign kill us and we will be back to work after x amount of time sick.

just seen that the aussie exchange is down 7% in the first 90 mins of trading. tokyo opens in 40 mins...
i think the ftse could go sub 5k in the morning.
seriously grim times from an economic perspective on top of all the social concerns we all have.
stay safe guys.

ftse 8 fucking % down

I see the US FRB cut interest rates to Zero !
Also who the fuck will be rushing to the bank for more credit if they don't even know when their business will return back to normal.

I have to go into our office today to see what I can do regarding our businesses....Ill probably have to let mates go that I have known for over 30 years unless there is a U turn in predictions.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Bluemoon4610 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:12 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Is it madness to make the over 60,s and anyone else with health problems self isolate for x amount of time and the rest go back to work ?.

Because the UK mentality is that - when (if) it's all over - some 68-year-old will claim it was discriminatory to allow younger people to work, and that it ruined their chances of promotion or their right to fair payment, it will end up at the European Court of Human Rights, where they'll get a multi-billion pound payout, and the company will go under anyway.

This would be funny if it wasn't so fucking true!
Bluemoon4610
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:10 pm

Alan Shearer will not be popular in dipper land, he has said season should be null and void, so no title for dippers, if I was Alan I would self isolate, the amount of hate and bile going his way now will be unbearable.
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby carolina-blue » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:23 pm

Harry Dowd scored wrote:Alan Shearer will not be popular in dipper land, he has said season should be null and void, so no title for dippers, if I was Alan I would self isolate, the amount of hate and bile going his way now will be unbearable.

It would already have been done if it was us ,

TBH though there is a lot at stake
listening to Barry Hearn this am He thinks scrap
Euros Finish the leagues and worry about next season when it comes , he has a point regarding the promotion / Relegation places , It would be great though if liVARpool didn’t get it
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:26 pm

Id send the Dippers the trophy by fed ex with an engraving on the trophy saying Premiership winners for the 2019/20 with an additional engraving of 28 match game season.
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby PrezIke » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:29 pm

Italian FA is apparently requesting for the Euros to be postponed until next summer so they can finish the Serie A season this summer.

Not sure why the same cannot be applied to the PL, if the crisis blows over by then.

All these worries about contracts ending July 1 seem like they also have to take into account other variables like the season finishing on time, and/or that many games have not been played yet, etc.

The NBA, as I also posted, is thinking the same thing and their season ends about a month after the PL.

Again, I love to see Liverpool fans squirm and cry, but other aspects of this make this rather complex.

However, if the crisis does not blow over in time then the season must be cancelled, and then not sure what happens with promotion/relegation & CL/Europa spots.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:35 pm

The BBC says one of the ideas being floated by UEFA is the remaining CL/Europa games to be played as a straight knock out mini tournament over a couple of days, possibly behind closed doors.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course

Postby Dameerto » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:55 pm

Which doesn't take into account those players (and managers) who currently have the virus - and who will have to fully recover before they begin to start training again, never mind recovering match fitness/sharpness.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:50 pm

The season is gone. Ignore the pandering for clicks from the media, they are in the same boat as the rest of the world - fighting for their lives physically and financially.

How they decide this season is anybody’s guess. I’m sure they want to give it to Liverpool and purely looking at the table they deserve it but there are many complications and legal implications if they name them Champions. The same would have to be given to other leagues which would be very difficult as the other leagues are so close for auto promotion, play-offs and relegation.

Time to concentrate on what matters, looking after the family, aged and infirm in the hope that we can still pass comment on our club in future years. Without them, we lose so much.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby PeterParker » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:13 am

Beefymcfc wrote:The season is gone. Ignore the pandering for clicks from the media, they are in the same boat as the rest of the world - fighting for their lives physically and financially.

How they decide this season is anybody’s guess. I’m sure they want to give it to Liverpool and purely looking at the table they deserve it but there are many complications and legal implications if they name them Champions. The same would have to be given to other leagues which would be very difficult as the other leagues are so close for auto promotion, play-offs and relegation.

Time to concentrate on what matters, looking after the family, aged and infirm in the hope that we can still pass comment on our club in future years. Without them, we lose so much.

Spot on, Beef. Spot on.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby salford city » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:58 am

Beefymcfc wrote:The season is gone. Ignore the pandering for clicks from the media, they are in the same boat as the rest of the world - fighting for their lives physically and financially.

Last paragraph is the one that counts. The next steps for football will be interesting after todays conference call.
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city

Postby nottsblue » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:21 pm

Horse racing cancelled until end of April.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:23 pm

nottsblue wrote:Horse racing cancelled until end of April.

Anyone feeling sorry for the bookies and online betting companies?
Hutch's Shoulder

Supporter of: City of course

Postby nottsblue » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:30 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:

Not the organisations, but the thousands of people employed in this area who must now be fearful for their livelihoods. That said, they survived foot and mouth a while back but at least there were other sports to rely on. There is nothing now, even worldwide,
Job losses are inevitable sadly
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby CTID Hants » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:46 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Hutch's Shoulder wrote:

Not the organisations, but the thousands of people employed in this area who must now be fearful for their livelihoods. That said, they survived foot and mouth a while back but at least there were other sports to rely on. There is nothing now, even worldwide,
Job losses are inevitable sadly

There's always marble racing :lol:

One of the barmaids from my local jacked the pub trade after 10 yes about six weeks ago to work in a bookies.
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby BlueinBosnia » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:43 pm

That should sort out any glue shortages.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby zuricity » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:50 pm

I'm already wearing my coat and half way out the door...

I've just seen seven Skinheads singing and dancing together .. I'm sorry but this is Madness !
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:21 pm

zuricity wrote:I'm already wearing my coat and half way out the door...

I've just seen seven Skinheads singing and dancing together .. I'm sorry but this is Madness !

Get the fuck out of here, that’s just One Step Beyond!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby zuricity » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:25 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
zuricity wrote:I'm already wearing my coat and half way out the door...

Get the fuck out of here, that’s just One Step Beyond!

yep, right in the middle of our street !
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum