Coronavirus - Should Sporting Events Be Cancelled?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

How should we deal with the rest of the season?

Continue as normal, evaluate along the way.
16%
Just ban the older supporters from games.
2%
Play games behind closed doors, games to be shown on a TV.
7%
Postpone games until it all blows over.
18%
Cancel the season and let the current results stand.
5%
Cancel the season in its entirety.
52%

Total votes : 61

Re: Coronavirus - Should Sporting Events Be Cancelled?

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:17 am

Nick wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Unless someone on here has a PHD in science and infectious diseases/viruses then I think they should relax a little and stop slagging off the governments strategy FFS !!...the PM did say they may deviate from the current strategy and adapt as the days go on.

Have some faith in the scientists and health experts advising the government - we will only know in time if their strategy was the way to go.

Bojo and trump are doughnuts though and both u-turned in the space of a day or so. Schools here expected to close mid/late next week I imagine.

I have flights booked late March and april. It's crazy.

I doubt BOJO will go against the experts advising him (Scientists and Health experts) As for Trump..he probably watches the Simpsons and then makes a decision.

Booked for which country ?
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Green & Blue » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:39 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:Unless someone on here has a PHD in science and infectious diseases/viruses then I think they should relax a little and stop slagging off the governments strategy FFS !!...the PM did say they may deviate from the current strategy and adapt as the days go on.

Have some faith in the scientists and health experts advising the government - we will only know in time if their strategy was the way to go.

The Governments strategy was to spend the week watching the racing and then remember they’ve a situation on their hands.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:41 am

Green & Blue wrote:

The Governments strategy was to spend the week watching the racing and then remember they’ve a situation on their hands.

Lovely

My horse came in second.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Green & Blue » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:44 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Green & Blue wrote:

Lovely

My horse came in second.

Hope you had it e/w
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:52 am

Green & Blue wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Green & Blue wrote:

Lovely

My horse came in second.

Hope you had it e/w

Nope...for a win as I'm a greedy cunt.
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Crossie » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:54 am

If it’s not back on in 2-4 weeks it can’t complete. 69 players are out of contract on 1st June, so how can football be played after that under the current rules?

What about West Brom and Leeds plus one of the 6 clubs pushing for a play off spot?

They can’t relegate the current bottom 3, they’d all sue the shit out of the premier league for years.

Clubs have invested millions for promotion pushes or just enough investment to not be relegated so just repeating the season with the same clubs and players is simply not possible.

I’m glad I don’t have to figure this one out.

Awarding and finalising as the league stands now probably pisses the least people off. Give Massive compensation for the bottom 3 clubs and play the play offs behind closed doors in May maybe?
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:46 pm

The PL CANNOT award the dippers or any other team ANYTHING when its mathematically possible to have a different outcome.
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Scatman » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:08 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:The PL CANNOT award the dippers or any other team ANYTHING when its mathematically possible to have a different outcome.

What if the other teams all agree?
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Scatman » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:09 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:The PL CANNOT award the dippers or any other team ANYTHING when its mathematically possible to have a different outcome.

Scatman

Postby zuricity » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:20 pm

Scatman wrote:

The way the results have gone this season , too many teams in the bottom half of the league are still relegation candidates .

Unfortunately for the scouse, every game they have from now on in is a toughie. Whether City or not , some of their opposition need points for survival . Having seen Watford dominate and Bournemouth having a go . There are points up for grabs.

It is wrong to look at today's league positions and infer that is how it might end up. Some teams might appear to have easy run ins, some not.

It is simply not on to award anything until the last game is played, that has no significance to promotion or relegation , firstly and secondly, because each position in the league is rewarded financially, this must be considered too.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Scatman » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:24 pm

zuricity wrote:
Scatman wrote:

The way the results have gone this season , too many teams in the bottom half of the league are still relegation candidates .

Unfortunately for the scouse, every game they have from now on in is a toughie. Whether City or not , some of their opposition need points for survival . Having seen Watford dominate and Bournemouth having a go . There are points up for grabs.

It is wrong to look at today's league positions and infer that is how it might end up. Some teams might appear to have easy run ins, some not.

It is simply not on to award anything until the last game is played, that has no significance to promotion or relegation , firstly and secondly, because each position in the league is rewarded financially, this must be considered too.

But what if the teams agree even though the fans don't?
Scatman

Postby zuricity » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:31 pm

Scatman wrote:
zuricity wrote:
Scatman wrote:

But what if the teams agree even though the fans don't?

You mean the clubs ?

Not the teams or squads for that matter .

I don't think any club fighting relegation will agree to anything , just so that Scouse can claim
a title .

One thing we do know is that City won that Rags trophy in August and have just won the League Cup ,

Those competitions are complete and cannot be rescinded.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Scatman » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:44 pm

Clubs, not teams, yes.

People keep saying on here you can't give Liverpool the title until it is mathematically certain. But it just isn't true. If the clubs decide to award it, then what the fans think is not relevant.

They can agree to award the title to Liverpool. City can concede the title. They probably will. It would be very petty and small minded, and probably tactically very foolish not to.

Liverpool deserve this league title, 100%. We should be happy that they suffer a massive anticlimax by not being able to clinch the title, lift the trophy in front of their fans, have a parade until it is a distant memory and City are back at the top of the league in 20/21.

Stop looking for loopholes.

The business of relegation and qualification can be sorted out separately.
Scatman

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:00 pm

Scatman wrote:

West Ham do not agree.

On a side note : if PeP had managed us properly this year then we might have been a few points behind the dippers instead of 20 odd fucking points...then the decision of cancelling would have gained a lot more support.
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby PeterParker » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:01 pm

I think we can close the internet, the very best one was just realeased

PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby PrezIke » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:35 pm

I know we don't want Liverpool to win the league, but as others have pointed out I think that is also problematic for relegation, CL and Europa league places, which is also not fair to other leagues for promotion and relegation.

That West Ham is asking for cancellation of the season points to this reality.

Postpone the Euros until next summer, and finish the season April-June, if possible, and shorten the transfer window, which is the least important thing to be impacted.

Move CL fixtures and hopefully it will be when most leagues can commence. This may be the most problematic as the rise in cases will be later in the UK or other countries in CL as Italy, for example, may be past the worst of it sooner.

The NBA is not cancelling the season, yet, and they finish about 1 month later than the PL.

This is all predicated on whether it appears that the worst subsides. Otherwise, of course, you have to cancel it.

No need to make that decision now.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby zuricity » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:07 pm

As far as i am concerned you can cancel the Euros in the summer, they are meanlingless.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby zuricity » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:16 pm

Scatman wrote:Clubs, not teams, yes.

People keep saying on here you can't give Liverpool the title until it is mathematically certain. But it just isn't true. If the clubs decide to award it, then what the fans think is not relevant.

They can agree to award the title to Liverpool. City can concede the title. They probably will. It would be very petty and small minded, and probably tactically very foolish not to.

Liverpool deserve this league title, 100%. We should be happy that they suffer a massive anticlimax by not being able to clinch the title, lift the trophy in front of their fans, have a parade until it is a distant memory and City are back at the top of the league in 20/21.

After the pain, the sorrow , the problems , the financial costs ( banned, smashed up coaches, damage and pillage where ever they go. The weird VAR and non-VAR . The bending over backwards to get the optimal times for games) Scouse don't ever deserve anything.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:21 pm

zuricity wrote:
Scatman wrote:Clubs, not teams, yes.

After the pain, the sorrow , the problems , the financial costs ( banned, smashed up coaches, damage and pillage where ever they go. The weird VAR and non-VAR . The bending over backwards to get the optimal times for games) Scouse don't ever deserve anything.

Post of the season.
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby budfox » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:20 pm

I'm probably inclined to agree that City should concede the title because we'll always have the "didn't really win it" position to fall back on.

Imagine over the coming years every set of opposing fans at bin dipper games singing

"You never won on your own...
No you ne-ver won, on your own
You ne-ver won..
On your own"
budfox
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Kev

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum