Maine Road

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Maine Road

Postby Mase » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:12 pm

Just watching There’s Only One Jimmy Grimble - makes me realise how much I miss Maine Road.

- Having a kick about behind the Kippax at half-time.
- Going to the shop across the road before the match that sold the printed t shirts of the players.
- The club leaving the bars open after the match so you could stay behind and have a drink/watch the players warm down.
- Watching the players warm up in the school next to the Kippax car park before the match.
- The shitty “super”store we had :lol:
- Helen ringing her bell
- That crap animated scoreboard we had that said “Come on City” with the clapping hands when we got a corner.
- The burgers they used to give you in the tin foil packet.

What’s your favourite memories of Maine Road? Not which matches you enjoyed most. The actual memories of being there.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Re: Maine Road

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:21 pm

Mase wrote:Just watching There’s Only One Jimmy Grimble - makes me realise how much I miss Maine Road.

- Going to the shop across the road before the match that sold the printed t shirts of the players.
- The club leaving the bars open after the match so you could stay behind and have a drink/watch the players warm down.
- Watching the players warm up in the school next to the Kippax car park before the match.
- Helen ringing her bell
- That crap animated scoreboard we had that said “Come on City” with the clapping hands when we got a corner.

What’s your favourite memories of Maine Road? Not which matches you enjoyed most. The actual memories of being there.

The Kippax -the camaraderie standing at the back with your mates near the segregation screaming abuse at the away end and watching the coppers shitting it....surging forward when we scored and getting crushed....being annoyed at the supporting beam that fucked your vision up watching the match.

Loved it.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Mase » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:23 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Mase wrote:Just watching There’s Only One Jimmy Grimble - makes me realise how much I miss Maine Road.

- Helen ringing her bell

The Kippax -the camaraderie standing at the back with your mates near the segregation screaming abuse at the away end and watching the coppers shitting it....surging forward when we scored and getting crushed....being annoyed at the supporting beam that fucked your vision up watching the match.

Loved it.

My mates dad (Jimmy Sweeney) climbed the Kippax (possibly against Spurs) all the way to the top ffs :lol:
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:55 pm

Mase wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

- Helen ringing her bell

Loved it.

My mates dad (Jimmy Sweeney) climbed the Kippax (possibly against Spurs) all the way to the top ffs :lol:

I remember wearing my parka and two toned suit when I went to watch City....I was well into the mod scene in the early 80,s...what great days they were.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mase » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:53 pm

It’s a shame Eastlands is so awful.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby City64 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:37 pm

Mase wrote:It’s a shame Eastlands is so awful.

Maine Road was a fucking dump in its later years a mish mish of crap different stands and a big fuck off open corner that had to be temporary scaffolding stand an absolute fuck up of a stadium . I started going to Maine Road with my dad late 60s all through the 70s as a teenager and through the 80s as a hooligan as that was the norm in the 80s absolute madness but a fantastic era when men were men . Maine Road was fantastic in those eras but shite after that !
PS love the Etihad it has developed into one of the best stadiums in the world and when safe standing is finally introduced it will be awesome!
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mase » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:04 pm

City64 wrote:

Maine Road was a fucking dump in its later years a mish mish of crap different stands and a big fuck off open corner that had to be temporary scaffolding stand an absolute fuck up of a stadium . I started going to Maine Road with my dad late 60s all through the 70s as a teenager and through the 80s as a hooligan as that was the norm in the 80s absolute madness but a fantastic era when men were men . Maine Road was fantastic in those eras but shite after that !
PS love the Etihad it has developed into one of the best stadiums in the world and when safe standing is finally introduced it will be awesome!

You have no favourite memories of Maine Road?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby City64 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:46 pm

Mase wrote:
City64 wrote:

Mase wrote:
City64 wrote:

Yeah as I stated the 70s and 80s were unreal for different reasons , 70s iconic 80s fucking mental .90s mostly fucking depressing . Mixed bag of memories and lots of them , much prefer MCFC of today than the past . Niche is cool being shit isn’t great !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:56 pm

City64 wrote:
Mase wrote:
City64 wrote:

Mase wrote:
City64 wrote:

Niche is cool being shit isn’t great !

I disagree......being shit was fun. (Not that I would change anything now , but, we loved being shit and we had abetter laugh back then)
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Blue Jam » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:45 am

I remember walking to city vs Wes Ham one day. A couple of Hammers approached us and asked where the stadium was, told them to walk with us.

We had a polite conversation but the best quotes were, "Fahhkin hell, it's like Coronation Street raaahhn ere", and, "Facckin ell, it blahdy popped out from nahwhere" - loved the fact that it was sort of hidden until you got close.

I kink of liked the fact that it was lots of aesthetically different stands that didn't go together, evoked different eras.

I miss the place but CoMStad has grown on me.
Blue Jam
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Goater

Postby City64 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:00 pm

Blue Jam wrote:I remember walking to city vs Wes Ham one day. A couple of Hammers approached us and asked where the stadium was, told them to walk with us.

We had a polite conversation but the best quotes were, "Fahhkin hell, it's like Coronation Street raaahhn ere", and, "Facckin ell, it blahdy popped out from nahwhere" - loved the fact that it was sort of hidden until you got close.

I kink of liked the fact that it was lots of aesthetically different stands that didn't go together, evoked different eras.

Nice post . Away fans didn’t like all those close streets all around Maine Road especially in the 80s ! :lol:
Etihad Stadium being a lot closer to the city center makes things a lot easier for a lot more fans I think and enhances the match day experience . City council need to pull there finger out over the traffic situation for midweek games though as it is still horrendous.
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby City64 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:03 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
City64 wrote:
Mase wrote:
City64 wrote:

Mase wrote:
City64 wrote:

Niche is cool being shit isn’t great !

I disagree......being shit was fun. (Not that I would change anything now , but, we loved being shit and we had abetter laugh back then)

Being seriously shit turned a lot of die hard City fans of a certain age group into alcoholics .........
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mase » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:09 pm

City64 wrote:Etihad Stadium being a lot closer to the city center makes things a lot easier for a lot more fans I think and enhances the match day experience.

There’s about 5 mins difference in them being away from the center?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby City64 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:39 pm

Mase wrote:
City64 wrote:Etihad Stadium being a lot closer to the city center makes things a lot easier for a lot more fans I think and enhances the match day experience.

Tram black cab walk all so easy for getting to Etihad . A few decent boozers back in the day near Maine Road , we always used the park side . Not great walking from Piccadilly to moss side to be fair or getting a bus . I had two cars stolen over two decades in moss side (Night matches) and all my college work and books etc stolen from the boot of my first ever car whilst I was at a game , caused me all sorts of shit that did ! Yeah much cosier these days at the Etihad!
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:52 pm

City64 wrote:
Mase wrote:

Tram black cab walk all so easy for getting to Etihad . A few decent boozers back in the day near Maine Road , we always used the park side . Not great walking from Piccadilly to moss side to be fair or getting a bus . I had two cars stolen over two decades in moss side (Night matches) and all my college work and books etc stolen from the boot of my first ever car whilst I was at a game , caused me all sorts of shit that did ! Yeah much cosier these days at the Etihad!

I cycled from Heaton Moor up-to the Etihad yesterday into shambles Sq when you look back the Curry mile Oxford Rd and into Town is a better route than Ashton Old Rd which until you get to the apartments or New Islington is derelict. Just an observation.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:56 pm

I miss the old Kippax, with the plastic hawk and the 'Trumanns for Steel sign' opposite, and 'The End is NIgh' man outside (why was he there after the match - surely the end had been and gone?), but the New Kippax was crap, about a third of the capacity and you got soaked whenever it rained, even ten rows back. I used to stay to the whistle then run all the way back to Piccadilly for the train - I was younger then.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course

Postby Paul68 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:21 pm

Blue Jam wrote:I remember walking to city vs Wes Ham one day. A couple of Hammers approached us and asked where the stadium was, told them to walk with us.

Coming out of Maine road ...... played dippers and we won.. really not well... shits. .... sweats... usual bad food symptoms (must have been British rail) lost my crew. ... got lost in the maze of streets.... (well it fucking was for a southerner!) Being found by a firm crouched on the pavement.... got put in a taxi and taken to hospital. .... was fucking food poisoning! Yep br pies.... ( couldn't sue in the 80's !)
Bloke stayed with me after he heard my accent to make sure I got next train home. Never did remember his name which I regret to this day.
Wasn't about where you were from.... was were you city?
Was treated like a brother and my blood has always run blue since!
Love all you guys
I wish there was a way to know you are in the good old days....before you've actually left them...
Paul68
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: All the 17-18!

Postby zuricity » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:40 pm

Paul68 wrote:

Coming out of Maine road ...... played dippers and we won.. really not well... shits. .... sweats... usual bad food symptoms (must have been British rail) lost my crew. ... got lost in the maze of streets.... (well it fucking was for a southerner!) Being found by a firm crouched on the pavement.... got put in a taxi and taken to hospital. .... was fucking food poisoning! Yep br pies.... ( couldn't sue in the 80's !)
Bloke stayed with me after he heard my accent to make sure I got next train home. Never did remember his name which I regret to this day.
Love all you guys

Yer soft bugger !
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Wooders » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:50 pm

No Eastlands, no takeover

And it’s not that awful, considering it was more or less a freebie
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby City64 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:02 pm

Paul68 wrote:

Love all you guys

Great post pal !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum