Maine Road

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Maine Road

Postby City64 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:04 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:I miss the old Kippax, with the plastic hawk and the 'Trumanns for Steel sign' opposite, and 'The End is NIgh' man outside (why was he there after the match - surely the end had been and gone?), but the New Kippax was crap, about a third of the capacity and you got soaked whenever it rained, even ten rows back. I used to stay to the whistle then run all the way back to Piccadilly for the train - I was younger then.

You must have been “hench” back in the day ! :lol:
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby nottsblue » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:04 pm

Wooders wrote:
Mase wrote:It’s a shame Eastlands is so awful.

No Eastlands, no takeover

And it’s not that awful, considering it was more or less a freebie

The Etihad as a stadium in the modern sense is fantastic. The sight lines are good, the amenities are good, the corporate facilities are excellent.

But as a football ground, for smells, atmosphere, fun, history and many other reasons, Maine Road will always have a very special place in every Blues heart and beats the Etihad hands down for my money
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby City64 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:09 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Wooders wrote:

The Etihad as a stadium in the modern sense is fantastic. The sight lines are good, the amenities are good, the corporate facilities are excellent.

But as a football ground, for smells, atmosphere, fun, history and many other reasons, Maine Road will always have a very special place in every Blues heart and beats the Etihad hands down for my money

Many would disagree pal . Maine Road did smell a lot to be fair ! Once the real kippax went Maine Road was fucked , the old kippax was the ultimate fan experience, the noise and passion generated in there was sensational a complete adrenaline rush .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mase » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:26 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Wooders wrote:

Agreed. People moan about the atmosphere every week and that’s partly down to the ‘feel’ of the stadium. It still doesn’t feel like home to me.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby City64 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:36 pm

Mase wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
Wooders wrote:

Agreed. People moan about the atmosphere every week and that’s partly down to the ‘feel’ of the stadium. It still doesn’t feel like home to me.

We have been at the now Etihad Stadium for 17 years Mase , how old are you and how many years "experience" of Maine Road have you ?
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mase » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:00 pm

City64 wrote:
Mase wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
Wooders wrote:

We have been at the now Etihad Stadium for 17 years Mase , how old are you and how many years "experience" of Maine Road have you ?

10 years at Maine Road for me. Not quite sure what that has to do with anything though? Does that means I didn’t “experience” it :lol:
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby City64 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:23 pm

Mase"[quote="Mase wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
Wooders wrote:

We have been at the now Etihad Stadium for 17 years Mase , how old are you and how many years "experience" of Maine Road have you ?[/quote]

10 years at Maine Road for me. Not quite sure what that has to do with anything though? Does that means I didn’t “experience” it :lol:[/quote]
The proper old Kippax stand was pulled down in 1994 , Maine road was developed into an all seater stadium that was a fucking mess from 95 to 2002 . If that felt like "home" you have issues pal ! :roll: :lol:
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mase » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:28 pm

I’m aware of the timelines. The Kippax has just started to be rebuilt when I went.

Not sure what you want me to say? I can’t say I feel at home in a stadium where the atmosphere, as you well point out every game, is crap.

I’m guessing 90% of ours fans don’t as we still sing “we are City, from Maine Road”.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby City64 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:58 pm

Mase wrote:I’m aware of the timelines. The Kippax has just started to be rebuilt when I went.

Not sure what you want me to say? I can’t say I feel at home in a stadium where the atmosphere, as you well point out every game, is crap.

I’m guessing 90% of ours fans don’t as we still sing “we are City, from Maine Road”.

I think the atmosphere at the Etihad is mostly decent for modern day PL football and really good / fantastic for the big games . The last decade city fans who regularly go to games are used to winning games and almost every trophy on offer so see very little point in getting over excited for all the run of the mill games . Old Trafford , Emirates etc are morgues so is Anfield on most occasions even with those excitable thick as fuck bin dipping cunts in it this is modern all seater stadiums for you im afraid . City let fans stand for the big games and the atmosphere goes up 10 fold , when the safe standing comes in the place will be awesome ! The song "we are from maine road " is dark mancunian humour so is the song "were going up were going down " and a few others . City fans still retain the humble humour to laugh at themselves even though we have been the major force of the last decade , some get it some don't . Lastly tv coverage also destroys stadium atmosphere even cup finals at Wembley sound silent , tv and its bias is destroying football ............. "the anfield atmosphere " what a pile of fucking shite those scouse cunts shit themselves and go silent as fuck when a team takes them on and YNWA is the worst fucking song in football history its embarrassing .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mase » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:22 pm

Agree with standing. As soon as they bring it back the better. I got a taste of it at Fulham away when Morrison licked Collymore and it was so much better than sitting!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:53 pm

I could mention so many things about Maine Road whilst growing up but the best memories I ever had was jumping into the wave as the fans celebrated a goal. It’s hard to explain if you weren’t around at that time but those that were will remember it fondly/scarily ;-)

Wonderful place, even the glass couldn’t keep us out.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby ENIAM NAM » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:16 am

Me and my mates being 17, 6 foot + and getting in most games for the price of a junior, which was under 13 I think from memory!

Also, watching people every week jump over the turnstiles and peg it from the security guys, who really couldn’t be arsed.

The wave when we scored a goal was unreal.
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:10 am

City64 wrote:
Hutch's Shoulder wrote:I miss the old Kippax, with the plastic hawk and the 'Trumanns for Steel sign' opposite, and 'The End is NIgh' man outside (why was he there after the match - surely the end had been and gone?), but the New Kippax was crap, about a third of the capacity and you got soaked whenever it rained, even ten rows back. I used to stay to the whistle then run all the way back to Piccadilly for the train - I was younger then.

You must have been “hench” back in the day ! :lol:

Strong legs, weak mind!
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course

Postby RodneyRodney » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:40 am

Paul68 wrote:
Blue Jam wrote:I remember walking to city vs Wes Ham one day. A couple of Hammers approached us and asked where the stadium was, told them to walk with us.

We had a polite conversation but the best quotes were, "Fahhkin hell, it's like Coronation Street raaahhn ere", and, "Facckin ell, it blahdy popped out from nahwhere" - loved the fact that it was sort of hidden until you got close.

I kink of liked the fact that it was lots of aesthetically different stands that didn't go together, evoked different eras.

I miss the place but CoMStad has grown on me.

Coming out of Maine road ...... played dippers and we won.. really not well... shits. .... sweats... usual bad food symptoms (must have been British rail) lost my crew. ... got lost in the maze of streets.... (well it fucking was for a southerner!) Being found by a firm crouched on the pavement.... got put in a taxi and taken to hospital. .... was fucking food poisoning! Yep br pies.... ( couldn't sue in the 80's !)
Bloke stayed with me after he heard my accent to make sure I got next train home. Never did remember his name which I regret to this day.
Wasn't about where you were from.... was were you city?
Was treated like a brother and my blood has always run blue since!
Love all you guys

Bad guts ? Yer should've gone to The Plaza in Rusholme (. . . or Longsight, or Plymouth Grove , or whatever) and ordered the Chicken "Goodbye, you have been warned" - WAY better than any hospital stomach pump ! Straighten out yer s-bend in no time !!
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Postby CBEM » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:10 am

Helens bell, the smell of cigar smoke and Dog shit in the alleys. I miss the rawness of football and feel left out of the happy clappy experience that we have now. I'm hoping for footballs bubble to burst and for us to get back to grass roots stuff.
Left hammer+sickle-moon for a much better shade of blue :)
CBEM
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: colin bell

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum