1989 Yellow Kit

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

1989 Yellow Kit

Postby Mase » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:58 pm

Anyone know the story behind this kit?

Looks like it was only worn once and never released to the fans.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Re: 1989 Yellow Kit

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:24 pm

There's a Facebook group called "Manchester City Match Worn Shirts" where the collector who runs it just managed to get hold of one of these a few weeks ago. They were worn due to a kit (shorts) clash, and ended up being given to a local Sunday League team called MMS, who used them for a few years before breaking up, with the players keeping their shirts when that happened.

According to the story on that page, it was always intended that we'd wear that kit that season, but for the New Year's Day fixture against Sheffield Wednesday. I don't know why we'd wear a one-off kit for New Year, or if it was just due to a potential kit clash (which, if so, must have been solved another way, because as you said it was only worn once).
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Mase » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:36 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:There's a Facebook group called "Manchester City Match Worn Shirts" where the collector who runs it just managed to get hold of one of these a few weeks ago. They were worn due to a kit (shorts) clash, and ended up being given to a local Sunday League team called MMS, who used them for a few years before breaking up, with the players keeping their shirts when that happened.

According to the story on that page, it was always intended that we'd wear that kit that season, but for the New Year's Day fixture against Sheffield Wednesday. I don't know why we'd wear a one-off kit for New Year, or if it was just due to a potential kit clash (which, if so, must have been solved another way, because as you said it was only worn once).

Brilliant thanks.
Any idea if it was our first yellow kit?

I remember we had a yellow Kappa one which I like, but again we didn’t seem to wear it that much

Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:57 pm

No, we had another one in the early 1960s, and possibly one before that.

Gary James posted about it elsewhere, and there's this clip online of us at WHL in 1961 in yellow (with red or maroon trim), at 05:30: https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/wat ... 961-online
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mase » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:03 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:No, we had another one in the early 1960s, and possibly one before that.

Gary James posted about it elsewhere, and there's this clip online of us at WHL in 1961 in yellow (with red or maroon trim), at 05:30: https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/wat ... 961-online

Thanking you!

Mad how it looked like most of the fans were in suits on that video. I couldn’t imagine that these days.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:15 pm

Mase wrote:Mad how it looked like most of the fans were in suits on that video. I couldn’t imagine that these days.

Could you imagine how they'd react if you told them that, in 50 years' time, you'd get an umpteen match ban for having a sneaky cigarette behind the stands at half time?
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mase » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:28 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
Mase wrote:Mad how it looked like most of the fans were in suits on that video. I couldn’t imagine that these days.

Could you imagine how they'd react if you told them that, in 50 years' time, you'd get an umpteen match ban for having a sneaky cigarette behind the stands at half time?

Get a match ban for standing up now!!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby salford city » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:44 pm

Was at the game at highbury when we wore this. Don't recall anything in the build up as to why we ended up wearing it. Can only think it was white shorts? We got smashed 3 or 4 from memory
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby RodneyRodney » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:08 am

salford city wrote:Was at the game at highbury when we wore this. Don't recall anything in the build up as to why we ended up wearing it. Can only think it was white shorts? We got smashed 3 or 4 from memory

4-0 to the gunners . I remember, I was there. (. . .and yes, we were crap)
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:52 pm

RodneyRodney wrote:
salford city wrote:Was at the game at highbury when we wore this. Don't recall anything in the build up as to why we ended up wearing it. Can only think it was white shorts? We got smashed 3 or 4 from memory

So was I and you are spot on. However the match a few weeks later at Derby was even worse.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby RodneyRodney » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:16 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
RodneyRodney wrote:

So was I and you are spot on. However the match a few weeks later at Derby was even worse.

i was there , too. Got "rammed" 6-0 , Mark Wright hat-trick.
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby patrickblue » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:31 pm

RodneyRodney wrote:

I was there too.
I remember we actually looked quite good for the first five minutes, then total garbage for the other 85. The only other thing I remember was Clive Allen playing.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:53 pm

patrickblue wrote:
RodneyRodney wrote:

I was there too.
I remember we actually looked quite good for the first five minutes, then total garbage for the other 85. The only other thing I remember was Clive Allen playing.

Cooper, Fleming, Hinchcliffe, Bishop, Gayle, Redmond, White, Morley (star man according to a later programme), Oldfield, Brightwell, Lake with Allen (54 mins) and McNab (unused) as subs.

A bit of a come-down that game, having been on a run of three wins: 5-1 (Rags!), 3-1 (Luton), 4-1 (Brentford in the League Cup).
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby patrickblue » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:07 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
patrickblue wrote:
RodneyRodney wrote:

I was there too.

Cooper, Fleming, Hinchcliffe, Bishop, Gayle, Redmond, White, Morley (star man according to a later programme), Oldfield, Brightwell, Lake with Allen (54 mins) and McNab (unused) as subs.

A bit of a come-down that game, having been on a run of three wins: 5-1 (Rags!), 3-1 (Luton), 4-1 (Brentford in the League Cup).

Looked it up a while ago, it says Allen came on on 46 for Gary Fleming.
Thing is if I hadn't looked it up, I'd have put my mortgage on Allen starting.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby RodneyRodney » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:52 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
patrickblue wrote:
RodneyRodney wrote:

I was there too.

I remember Paul Davis getting two of their goals.
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Return to The Maine Football forum