Our Defenders

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Our Defenders

Postby Mase » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:41 pm

Kalidou Koulibaly 'set to join Manchester City in £72m deal'...

Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly is reportedly joining Manchester City this summer in a £72m (€80m) deal, after turning down interest from Newcastle United.

Kouliably is one of Europe's most sought-after centre backs, after six impressive years in Naples and despite interest from PSG, Barcelona and Real Madrid too, the 29-year-old looks set to join the Premier League.

Newcastle, who could soon be under fresh ownership involving the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund, are also courting the Senegal international but the lure of working with Pep Guardiola at the Etihad has made Koulibaly's mind up, according to Italian outlet Il Mattino.

The report details that the Napoli defender will be sold by chairman Auerlio De Laurentiis in order to keep the club's finances in check and fund new signings.

The price is around €80m (£72m) for Koulibaly, who starred as Napoli won the Coppa Italia last week after beating Juventus on penalties, and he will reportedly sign a five-year deal at the Etihad.

A separate report in Spanish outlet Mundo Deportivo explains that the defender has also rejected interest from Ligue 1 in Paris Saint-Germain, and LaLiga in Spanish heavyweights Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Guardiola is the lure for the Senegalese, over other English options which reportedly include Liverpool and Manchester United, as well as the Magpies.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:52 pm

72 million for a 29 year old.

Madness.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Mase » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:58 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:72 million for a 29 year old.

Madness.

I imagine it will be £72 million tops, with a chunk of it based off trophies we win in the future etc.

Unfortunately he’s in high demand. I’ve not seen enough of him to know if he’s decent or not though? Italy is such a slow game, I worry any defender coming from there will struggle to get up to speed with the Prem. Smalling looks like a world beater over there :lol:
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby City64 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:11 pm

Fernandinho was 28 or 29 years of age when we signed him ?
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:13 pm

Mase wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:72 million for a 29 year old.

Madness.

I imagine it will be £72 million tops, with a chunk of it based off trophies we win in the future etc.

Unfortunately he’s in high demand. I’ve not seen enough of him to know if he’s decent or not though? Italy is such a slow game, I worry any defender coming from there will struggle to get up to speed with the Prem. Smalling looks like a world beater over there :lol:

It’s a chunk of dough but we need a player of stature ready to go, he is that, PSG did it with Silva, scum with Van Persie, Garcia on the right Laporte left this lad in the middle, looks great. I’ve seen a lot of him he is Quality we need IMO. If we did not do it our rivals would, watch v the scousers he was Not fazed and got right into them. Also nice to do it on this day !
Last edited by Hazy2 on Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:14 pm

City64 wrote:Fernandinho was 28 or 29 years of age when we signed him ?

He cost 30 million.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:22 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
City64 wrote:Fernandinho was 28 or 29 years of age when we signed him ?

He cost 30 million.

This lad has every fucker linked with him, fair play 5o Pep if he has him, he is as good as Laporte imo. We need improvements he is that.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby PeterParker » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:28 pm

After the Jorginho saga we still try to make deals with Napoli ...
Read something that they want 70+ mil and Jesus. :lol:

I somehow understand this, but really, who the fuck can you sign?
I would rather buy Ake. I have a feeling he might work great here.

Isn't Koulibaly slow as fuck?
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:36 pm

PeterParker wrote:After the Jorginho saga we still try to make deals with Napoli ...

Ake is at Bournemouth for a reason, Check out K v the Scousers for a refresh on his ability PP.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mase » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:40 pm

PeterParker wrote:After the Jorginho saga we still try to make deals with Napoli ...

To be fair, it was Jorginho that fucked us about. He accepted and then went back on his word once Chelsea appointed the smoker.

I’ve watched some highlights on Koulibaly and he looks like he brings the ball out of defence really quickly. But like I’ve said, I’ve not seen enough of him.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:47 pm

Pace is one of his strengths. Looks tailor made for a high line defence from what I've seen.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby PeterParker » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:48 pm

Hazy2 wrote:

Ake is at Bournemouth for a reason, Check out K v the Scousers for a refresh on his ability PP.

I know, but even that cunt Robertson, who I despise, was at Hull.
The thing is that the world is missing world class defenders like they were in the 90s. Van Dyke isn't even Costacurta or Baresi in a mediocre day. So would want someone that is Premier League material and could fit right in.

At Bournemouth they are constant in danger, but the squad is really poor. Surrounded by decent players, I think he can do it here.
I wouldn't mind that the money for Koulibally we buy Ake and Mings and invest in a top class left back, like Alaba or Sandro from Juventus.

We weren't as rich as today, but we bought our legend Vinnie from Hamburg, because the scouting was excellent and remember that Vinnie started in the Champions League super young.
The key is to find player that can fit the system, not world class overpaid.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby nottsblue » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:56 pm

City64 wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Old school thought. Play a settled back four. The players will learn each other’s strengths and weaknesses, when to cover, when to go forward, make angles for the pass etc. Playing with different personnel every single game does not help, indeed its to the detriment of the side

It’s a difficult one to keep a settled back four as we are usually fighting on all fronts which means loads of games and absolute need to rotate. Bin dippers chuck a couple of cup tournaments to focus on PL and CL and basically play the same 11 or 12 players week in week in out because their squad is piss poor and lacks depth. TAA and Robertson deffo drug cheating with the miles they clock up !

I totally get we aren’t going to play 55+ games with an unchanged back four. That is just unrealistic. But, we do chop and change a lot. In the two games since the first game back we changed 7 players out of 8. That is crazy and it isn’t just since the restart we have done this. It just doesn’t work making so many changes. The results speak for themselves.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:11 pm

nottsblue wrote:
City64 wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Old school thought. Play a settled back four. The players will learn each other’s strengths and weaknesses, when to cover, when to go forward, make angles for the pass etc. Playing with different personnel every single game does not help, indeed its to the detriment of the side

It’s a difficult one to keep a settled back four as we are usually fighting on all fronts which means loads of games and absolute need to rotate. Bin dippers chuck a couple of cup tournaments to focus on PL and CL and basically play the same 11 or 12 players week in week in out because their squad is piss poor and lacks depth. TAA and Robertson deffo drug cheating with the miles they clock up !

I totally get we aren’t going to play 55+ games with an unchanged back four. That is just unrealistic. But, we do chop and change a lot. In the two games since the first game back we changed 7 players out of 8. That is crazy and it isn’t just since the restart we have done this. It just doesn’t work making so many changes. The results speak for themselves.

Most top teams do not make changes in their defense like PeP does - this is PePs weakness and hes too pig headed to change...Continuously putting Fernandhino in the back is the biggest fuck up he has ever done and he continues doing it.
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby mr_nool » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:44 pm

Mase wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Mase wrote:We keep looking at spending tens of millions on finding a world class left back. Why don’t we just look at a left back that’s decent and can do the job? Look at Liverpool with Robertson. United have that Williams coming through.

Don’t spend £80 million on Ben Chilwell ffs. Our scouts need to earn their money and just recommend someone that can do the job.

Playing Fern CB just to force Rodri in the team has been Pep’s biggest downfall this season btw.

Rodri hasn't filled Fernandinho's boots at all, needs to sharpen up, everything is too laboured with him.

As much as the defence is a problem the intensity is just not there across the board, we're being countered on far too easily.

Agreed. Like a knife through butter. Its down to Fern not being in DM and making those “tactical” fouls that other fans moan about. He breaks up the play brilliantly.

Rodri has shown glimpses. I’m more than happy to give him another season - if you look at Fred now he’s got used to the Prem he’s not a bad player for United. So I’m hopeful for Rodri. My worry is though that’s he’s more of a Barry type player, and Barry could get away with it because he had De Jong next to him. That DM position for us leaves the person doing it vulnerable

I agree with this. Rodri is not fast enough to work as a single pivot, and we just don’t do well with two sitting midfielders.

In my opinion, trying to accommodate Rodri in this team has been a big part of our downfall this season. Especially at the start of it.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:11 pm

Let’s not write if Rodders we have enough to worry about like winning the CL which would be nice.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby sheblue » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:53 pm

If we want to win the title back next season we need to get rid of, mendy, zinch, stones and otter.
They are all just not good enough. It fact fucking abysmal.
I would sign the Napoli lad hes class and he could get 4 + good years out of him.

Then get a proper full back. A decent one who can defend, not like the two useless cunts we have, one is a court jester and the other a mid table light weight midfielder. Its laughable how shit they are.

We wont be consistent enough in the league with a bit part ramshackle makeshift defence. This season has proved that.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:40 pm

sheblue wrote:If we want to win the title back next season we need to get rid of, mendy, zinch, stones and otter.
I would sign the Napoli lad hes class and he could get 4 + good years out of him.

Then get a proper full back. A decent one who can defend, not like the two useless cunts we have, one is a court jester and the other a mid table light weight midfielder. Its laughable how shit they are.

We wont be consistent enough in the league with a bit part ramshackle makeshift defence. This season has proved that.

Even if we did replace all of them , baldie will still put Fernandhino at the back now and again.
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby sheblue » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:09 pm

Of all our regular senior defenders not counting kids, Walker and Laporte are the only two I have any faith in at all.
I like the look of Garcia, but a long way to go there.

Cancelo, 60 million, really? Somebody should be deeply embarrassed about that one.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby PeterParker » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:18 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
sheblue wrote:If we want to win the title back next season we need to get rid of, mendy, zinch, stones and otter.

Even if we did replace all of them , baldie will still put Fernandhino at the back now and again.

Maybe it comes down to his assistants also. I wonder if any of them pointed this issue with Fern out, or even if he listens to them.
Arteta looks clueless for me, I don't think he ever said: Pep, we should play Fern on his usual position and let's not fuck around with the defence that much.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum