Gabriel Jesus - we need to discuss

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Gabriel Jesus - we need to discuss

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:41 pm

Lets be clear I like Jesus, he is still work in progress and shows his potential on a regular basis. The goals we lose the chances we do not take is my concern.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:52 pm

Hazy2 wrote:Lets be clear I like Jesus, he is still work in progress and shows his potential on a regular basis. The goals we lose the chances we do not take is my concern.

He doesn’t have a forwards football brain - that’s the problem .
Yesterday he should have squared the ball TWICE and we would have scored from it but he decided to be a greedy cunt .
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby stupot » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:59 pm

He must have seen everyone banging on about Harry Kane then.
That's exactly what he did in the World Cup Semi at 1-0 when Raz would have had a tap in.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:20 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:Lets be clear I like Jesus, he is still work in progress and shows his potential on a regular basis. The goals we lose the chances we do not take is my concern.

Yesterday he should have squared the ball TWICE and we would have scored from it but he decided to be a greedy cunt .

I agree but ... he does have something no doubt, but yes brain-fart is an issue off sides are a joke, and pretty sure KDB gets well fucked off with him, Razza was is the same at times, From Jesus first touch I thought not having him tonight, he got worse as the night went on. Despite we should have had 9/10. Foden as you have said fair play.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:40 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

I agree but ... he does have something no doubt, but yes brain-fart is an issue off sides are a joke, and pretty sure KDB gets well fucked off with him, Razza was is the same at times, From Jesus first touch I thought not having him tonight, he got worse as the night went on. Despite we should have had 9/10. Foden as you have said fair play.

Re Foden - It was obvious , a long time ago , that he should play before any of the Silva’s in the staring line up due to what he offers on the pitch - assists and an eye for goal —— how many players can you name who don’t even look at the ball when they pass or shoot ? Very few .
Can you imagine DS scoring that goal last night ? Not even in his prime would he have scored that goal and that in no way is a smudge on DS style , which has won us cups galore , it just puts Foden in a different bracket of his own .

We are so fucking lucky to have Foden and I’m glad the penny finally dropped for baldeo by picking him over the 2 Silva’s against the dippers .
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby dazby » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:19 pm

Don't replace Sane. Get another central striker and use Gab more on the left. He's great there.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby stupot » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:21 pm

Foden is a different kind of gem to Silva in the sense David always gives the impression he'd rather assist than score but i was there at Blackpool for his 1st goal for us and that wasn't bad just like his assist to Dzeko at the swamp that i don't think any other player could have done.

It's not a Phil v David thing here, we can love both of them. If you ever listen to Phil talking about David, it's like Carl talking about Phil- he's his absolute hero. After the Arsenal game when he was asked if Silva leaving was a good thing for him as it meant more opportunities he said he wanted him to sign a new deal and stay.

I think a lot more of us wish that as well as his form is still dead consistent but Phil's gonna be the main man for a long,long time now.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:25 pm

dazby wrote:Don't replace Sane. Get another central striker and use Gab more on the left. He's great there.

I’d agree with this .

Have a biscuit .
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby salford city » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:49 pm

Mbappe is the only one who would come close to sergio's stats. Failing him, we will adapt with three up top. Kane would get us a fair few goals but would not give us the work rate and would be a ridiculous price that is not worth paying. I'd take Son from Spurs we would get his overpriced price tag back in shirt sales alone
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby nottsblue » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:22 pm

Few points to add to this debate

Jesus is never going to be a direct replacement for Aguero. Do we actually need a direct replacement is the next question I would ask? We regularly score 130+ goals in all competitions a season and Kun gets 30 of them. Seems to me we still have a lot of goals in the team. You can already see that Foden if he plays 40/50 games a season will get 10/15 more goals than Silva would get for example. KDB is now getting on the scoresheet more often. Mahrez will get 15+ goals.

Don’t misunderstand me, we need a striker to replace a striker, but I don’t think it will be that detrimental to our overall game if Agueros replacement gets say, 20 goals instead of the 30 Aguero would be relied upon, as there are now more goals in our midfield and wide players.

I mentioned in a thread in the early part of the season, I can see many games where we simply have a front three without a designated “striker”, instead having say a perm of Sterling, Jesus, Mahrez, Silva, Foden who rotate their roles up front as it were throughout the game which would give any defence a major headache as they wouldn’t know who to mark or where to position themselves. The “floating forward” then has license to roam and drop wide/deep as the game progresses or to simply go through the middle.

If we have to buy a forward as a big name player, then the man is Mbappe. But he would cost the earth and it looks like Madrid is his destination. Jesus has his faults, but it’s up to Pep and his team to iron them out and make him a better player. He deffo has the potential to be a 25/30 goal a year forward, albeit in maybe a different formation than we currently adopt, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby mr_nool » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:47 pm

nottsblue wrote:Few points to add to this debate

Jesus is never going to be a direct replacement for Aguero. Do we actually need a direct replacement is the next question I would ask? We regularly score 130+ goals in all competitions a season and Kun gets 30 of them. Seems to me we still have a lot of goals in the team. You can already see that Foden if he plays 40/50 games a season will get 10/15 more goals than Silva would get for example. KDB is now getting on the scoresheet more often. Mahrez will get 15+ goals.

Don’t misunderstand me, we need a striker to replace a striker, but I don’t think it will be that detrimental to our overall game if Agueros replacement gets say, 20 goals instead of the 30 Aguero would be relied upon, as there are now more goals in our midfield and wide players.

I mentioned in a thread in the early part of the season, I can see many games where we simply have a front three without a designated “striker”, instead having say a perm of Sterling, Jesus, Mahrez, Silva, Foden who rotate their roles up front as it were throughout the game which would give any defence a major headache as they wouldn’t know who to mark or where to position themselves. The “floating forward” then has license to roam and drop wide/deep as the game progresses or to simply go through the middle.

If we have to buy a forward as a big name player, then the man is Mbappe. But he would cost the earth and it looks like Madrid is his destination. Jesus has his faults, but it’s up to Pep and his team to iron them out and make him a better player. He deffo has the potential to be a 25/30 goal a year forward, albeit in maybe a different formation than we currently adopt, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing

I think this is spot on. We just need to teach Raz, Mahrez, Bernardo, etc. to get to the end of Mendy's low crosses across the 6 yard box. He's put in a lot of decent balls over the last couple of games and there should have been somone at the other end of them to make them count.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Mase » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:43 pm

mr_nool wrote:

I think this is spot on. We just need to teach Raz, Mahrez, Bernardo, etc. to get to the end of Mendy's low crosses across the 6 yard box. He's put in a lot of decent balls over the last couple of games and there should have been somone at the other end of them to make them count.

The same balls Kolarov used to get accused of “just smashing” across the box. They’re very dangerous crosses and it only takes a Nick off a defender to go in.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Scatman » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:29 pm

Kolarov, smashing balls.

So says Jim Bowen.
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Simister » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:42 pm

salford city wrote:Mbappe is the only one who would come close to sergio's stats. Failing him, we will adapt with three up top. Kane would get us a fair few goals but would not give us the work rate and would be a ridiculous price that is not worth paying. I'd take Son from Spurs we would get his overpriced price tag back in shirt sales alone

Only if he agrees to change his first name to Jihai.
Simister
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: SWP

Postby zuricity » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:08 am

Mase wrote:
mr_nool wrote:

The same balls Kolarov used to get accused of “just smashing” across the box. They’re very dangerous crosses and it only takes a Nick off a defender to go in.

get Edin back
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby City64 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:53 am

A player totally lost and bereft of conference last night , a total passenger.
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:47 am

City64 wrote:A player totally lost and bereft of conference last night , a total passenger.

He is in a dip but will come back he always does. He terrorised Varane and Ramos TBF
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby sheblue » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:26 am

With Sergio aging I would certainly keep him.
We will need a replacement for Serg. It will be hard enough replacing one of them, but both would be near on impossible.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Two's Kompany » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:03 am

He's not a Sergio replacement and never will be. I like him but he needs to play from the left, because he constantly runs offside. Against Liverpool De Bryune was going mad at him.
He's done that from his first season here and has never improved that aspect of his game. He runs in straight lines instead of bending the run to stay onside.
Two's Kompany
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Anyone in a City shirt!

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:22 pm

sheblue wrote:With Sergio aging I would certainly keep him.
We will need a replacement for Serg. It will be hard enough replacing one of them, but both would be near on impossible.

Thats because he has no football brain.
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum