****Official Overthinking City vs Lyon

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ****Official Overthinking City vs Lyon

Postby zuricity » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:20 pm

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:PLEASE SELL STERLING

Our second best player after KdB. And I'm not talking about tonight.

He is useless and always has been. He cant link the play. He fucks up our attacks. He has everyone putting it on a plate for him and even then he fucks up. He always goes missing in big games. He always gets picked no matter how shit he plays. Sane has left because he couldn't get minutes over this Shithead and Mahrez and Bernado could go a similar way.

He has some marketing appeal so if there is any club absolutely mad enough to put up the money, then get rid ASAP.

I've said it numerous times, our front 3 all need to be clinical. Sterling misses chance after chance. Even in the 4th minute he had a chance but didn't have the skill or brain to finish and copped out with a shit pass to Jesus. Any top player would have finished it. We cant carry Sterling any longer

difficult to disagree with that argument.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:19 am

You can blame Sterling for the miss or VAR for the 2nd goal but the real culprit here is Pep without any question. When I saw the starting lineup, I thought WTF, three defensive minded players in midfield and no creativity ? No Foden who has been immense since the restart. And with 5 subs available (not sure this was applied in CL) he makes only 2 and one very late !! Why not change the system at half time when it was clear to anyone watching that it was not working ? Not Pep, not the genius who fucked it up again like he did the last 3 times in CL.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby harveytravis » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:43 am

ruralblue wrote:Sorry but Pep you are to blame. Wrong set up from the start. Can't even say fair play to Lyon the rolling on floor cheating fucks. Rodriguez, Gundo and Fern was wrong. Oh.dear.

Three number 6s?!

Didn't like it at the start...
harveytravis
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Saul Goodman » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:48 am

You can dislike Pep's formation and the personnel or even if CL record in general but all 3 goals Lyon scored were because of player mistakes.

1. Walker stands and watches Cornet run and eventually get the loose ball and score. Before that Laporte stopped running and allowed the Lyon guy in on goal

2. Laporte played an awful ball that lost possession with most of the City team advanced up the field

3. Ederson dropped a simple ball and Cancelo was clueless about the guy behind him who scored the rebound.

How about our goal? Pep put Mahrez on and Mahrez got the "second assist" for the KDB goal and set up Jesus for another good chance.

Pep didn't make Sterling miss a sitter (as per usual).

If youre looking for someone to blame for the loss blame the players. Sure, Pep's formation was wack and maybe had he set the team up like he normally does then we wouldve smashed Lyon. But, despite that, his formation and personnel were still likely enough to win this match. The players on the pitch choked and lost the match--not Pep.
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Bournemouthcityfan » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:01 am

You know what I’d be happy for Mancini to come back he has tactical skills, knows when something is wrong and changes things he also likes a settled defense and doesn’t have a squad full of midfielders. If PEP doesn’t want to stay I’d rather have Bobbie
Bournemouthcityfan
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sergio Augero

Postby aaron bond » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:02 am

Saul Goodman wrote:You can dislike Pep's formation and the personnel or even if CL record in general but all 3 goals Lyon scored were because of player mistakes.

1. Walker stands and watches Cornet run and eventually get the loose ball and score. Before that Laporte stopped running and allowed the Lyon guy in on goal

2. Laporte played an awful ball that lost possession with most of the City team advanced up the field

3. Ederson dropped a simple ball and Cancelo was clueless about the guy behind him who scored the rebound.

How about our goal? Pep put Mahrez on and Mahrez got the "second assist" for the KDB goal and set up Jesus for another good chance.

If youre looking for someone to blame for the loss blame the players. Sure, Pep's formation was wack and maybe had he set the team up like he normally does then we wouldve smashed Lyon. But, despite that, his formation and personnel were still likely enough to win this match. The players on the pitch choked and lost the match--not Pep.

Up until the 1st goal we were being comprehensively outplayed. Normally we dominate possession, but instead Lyon had control and we mainly hoofing the ball aimlessly up the field.

8 of the 11 players we had on the pitch were defensive players. KDB was playing on the right side of the pitch in the first half. Sterling and Jesus were isolated and had no one to pass to when they had the ball.

There were individual mistakes but we went out there with the wrong line-up, we tried to play a way we never usually do, and we did this against a team who finished 7th in the French league. Pep got it horribly wrong last night and he didn't react quickly enough to make changes. He could have made up to 5 subs but only made 2.

Lyon, on the other hand, played their normal game and still made changes during the game when required and it won them the match.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby sheblue » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:24 am

nottsblue wrote:Imagine we got through tonight.

Then imagine the team and formation v Bayern.

Then imagine a proper fucking drubbing

Glad we will avoid this. Just imagine the team selection against Bayern. It doesn't bear thinking about.
They would have put 6 past last nights team.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby nottsblue » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:03 am

nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby john@staustell » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:12 am

Inexplicable. Embarrassing

Rarely have I seen such a bizarre team selection, negating the style we destroy teams with.

I seriously think he might have fancied a longer break before the new season
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Outcast » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:18 am

Bournemouthcityfan wrote:You know what I’d be happy for Mancini to come back he has tactical skills, knows when something is wrong and changes things he also likes a settled defense and doesn’t have a squad full of midfielders. If PEP doesn’t want to stay I’d rather have Bobbie

What a load of tosh, This Bobbie shit needs to stop, his record in chimps league is wank. He's done fuckall since left us. I'd rather gamble with a young up and coming manager then revert back to a dinosaur.
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Nick » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:48 am

Rodri and gundowank again. Joke.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:26 pm

Outcast wrote:
Bournemouthcityfan wrote:You know what I’d be happy for Mancini to come back he has tactical skills, knows when something is wrong and changes things he also likes a settled defense and doesn’t have a squad full of midfielders. If PEP doesn’t want to stay I’d rather have Bobbie

What a load of tosh, This Bobbie shit needs to stop, his record in chimps league is wank. He's done fuckall since left us. I'd rather gamble with a young up and coming manager then revert back to a dinosaur.

Thank the lord I'm not the only one
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Saul Goodman » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:27 pm

aaron bond wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:You can dislike Pep's formation and the personnel or even if CL record in general but all 3 goals Lyon scored were because of player mistakes.

Up until the 1st goal we were being comprehensively outplayed. Normally we dominate possession, but instead Lyon had control and we mainly hoofing the ball aimlessly up the field.

8 of the 11 players we had on the pitch were defensive players. KDB was playing on the right side of the pitch in the first half. Sterling and Jesus were isolated and had no one to pass to when they had the ball.

There were individual mistakes but we went out there with the wrong line-up, we tried to play a way we never usually do, and we did this against a team who finished 7th in the French league. Pep got it horribly wrong last night and he didn't react quickly enough to make changes. He could have made up to 5 subs but only made 2.

Lyon, on the other hand, played their normal game and still made changes during the game when required and it won them the match.

I can see where youre coming from. But we also looked comfortable before the first goal. Yes we didn't threaten at all but we didn't look in danger imo. As we all know possession isnt the most important thing. So Lyon dominating us really meant nothing. Pep's plan was going well until individual errors happened.
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby PeterParker » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:51 pm

Beside the shithouse we all saw, I am amazed that when you have Dembele and Cornet, players with previous fantastic record vs your team, you somehow ignore that.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby zuricity » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:02 pm

PeterParker wrote:Beside the shithouse we all saw, I am amazed that when you have Dembele and Cornet, players with previous fantastic record vs your team, you somehow ignore that.

Come on stop with this nonsense i!

It's not like we got battered last night . They got lucky with individual mistakes like Sterlings shocking miss.

Christ , they played for the odd mistake . They will do the same with Bayern . Watch them feign injuries , foll on the floor paying dead flies . It's a norm in the game today . I was amazed at one foul the ref gave against Gundo, when the player dived into him . Shocking from the ref .
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby PeterParker » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:10 pm

zuricity wrote:
PeterParker wrote:Beside the shithouse we all saw, I am amazed that when you have Dembele and Cornet, players with previous fantastic record vs your team, you somehow ignore that.

Come on stop with this nonsense i!

It's not like we got battered last night . They got lucky with individual mistakes like Sterlings shocking miss.

Christ , they played for the odd mistake . They will do the same with Bayern . Watch them feign injuries , foll on the floor paying dead flies . It's a norm in the game today . I was amazed at one foul the ref gave against Gundo, when the player dived into him . Shocking from the ref .

Lucky? They truly deserve the win from the first whistle.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby zuricity » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:19 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:
Outcast wrote:

Very disrespectful about Roberto. He broke the mould and should Pep decide to call it a day , He would be the right kind of manager to come in . Given half the backing pep has received he would do very well.

Btw , i am so pleased when City win any tournament . It can't always be a vacuum cleaner job every season .
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Outcast » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:40 pm

zuricity wrote:
Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:
Outcast wrote:

Very disrespectful about Roberto. He broke the mould and should Pep decide to call it a day , He would be the right kind of manager to come in . Given half the backing pep has received he would do very well.

Btw , i am so pleased when City win any tournament . It can't always be a vacuum cleaner job every season .

Yup he's record bringing up youth is splendid. Lets get real, it's sheikh Mansour investment got us where we are, not Roberto, Pep or Pellers, of course they were part of the ingredient and guided us up there but the talent at their disposal made it easier. Anyone contimplating going back to an ex is a no no, it will end in disaster. His methods just won't work in today's football, too defensive, we need someone in the middle between him and Pep, dare I say in Kloppys mould as much I despise him.
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:43 am

Martin Samuel nails it.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby sheblue » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:28 am

Rumblings this morning about some players not happy with the tactics and team selection. Hardly surprising, but hopefully they will have, or have had a frank and honest discussion with the management and coaching staff about it. The whole lot of them, all concerned, must learn from this.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum