Welcome Rúben Dias

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Welcome Rúben Dias

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:24 am

Confirmed by Benfica - announcement by City imminent

According to many sources the deal is done and he will be unveiled as Otamendi's successor in the next 24 hours

Here's a third party scouting report telling us what to expect for those like me have a taste for this kind of info

https://footballbh.net/2020/05/20/ruben ... s-tactics/
Last edited by johnny crossan on Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Re: Rúben Dias

Postby Hazy2 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:28 pm

Top work good read.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mase » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:34 pm

He’s a shit Otamendi.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:45 pm

Mase wrote:He’s a shit Otamendi.

more the Stones we hoped for I think
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby PrezIke » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:18 pm

Guardian reporting the fee is agreed:

Man City agree £50m deal for Rúben Dias with Otamendi to join Benfica

Centre-back set for City medical after €55m fee is agreed
Otamendi to join Benfica for €15m fee as part of deal

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... nsfer-news
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby nottsblue » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:59 pm

Decent article that JC. He has the stats and numbers, let’s see if he has the mental awareness and nous to make the step up from Portugal to England.

Time will tell. And hopefully if he is a leader like it claims, he might get his compatriots to perform better this season as well
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Nick » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:20 pm

Genuine questions is he tall or fast?
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby PeterParker » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:38 pm

Nick wrote:Genuine questions is he tall or fast?

Looks solid, but slow.
When I mean solid, hard to bring him down.

But this from what I've seen the past days.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Nick » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:53 pm

PeterParker wrote:

Looks solid, but slow.

Otamendi ?
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby PeterParker » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:00 pm

Nick wrote:
PeterParker wrote:

Looks solid, but slow.

Otamendi ?

No, more Van Buyten type. Or even Vinnie.
As I posted the past few days, a friend of mine who is a Benfica fan said he is really good, but most of all, a leader.
I trust him in this, but I don't trust our system.
I think our defenders are not trained to defend, but to create spaces, hence the problems.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Saul Goodman » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:16 am

Done deal
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby zabbadabbado » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:36 am

Never heard of him.

Is this another one of Tixi penny pinching Jack Rodwell moments.

You dont need Koubaliy.,have a Jack Rodwell (Dias)l instead.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: KDB

Postby nottsblue » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:42 am

For the reported £62M he had better be good. Because if he isn’t it could well be the last signing Pep makes for us. It will be close to £400M spent on the defence, a truly mind boggling figure especially seen as how disjointed we are there
nottsblue

Postby Clowncrete » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:44 am

zabbadabbado wrote:Never heard of him.

Wasn't Rodwell signed by Brian Marwood? Txiki and Ferran weren't part of the club in summer 2012.

Anyway on the mcfc reddit, someone posted this:

I spoke with a benfica supporter to understand how they rate Ruben Dias. This is quite a detailed analysis from that person's view and I thought it's worth sharing:

"So, this guy is a natural leader and communicator on the pitch. Something that often goes unseen is his ability to command the backline and work with the goalkeeper to cover the space in behind

He is very aggressive, when he is playing he simply doesn't have any friends, always with a mean face and looking as concentrated as he can be

He doesn't often lunge into tackles like Otamendi, but he does sometimes get stuck in and makes some late tackles that warrant an extreme overreaction in the portuguese league, since the referees whistle for everything and get way too excited with strong tackles

He is not the fastest, but he does control the space very well, antecipating opposition moves and passes

On the 1v1s he is probably the best in our league and can easily bully opponents off the ball

Unfortunately, even though he might look like he is concentrated all the time, he has his lapses. More often off the ball or in ground duels. He commits a fairly large amount of "easy" penalties by grabbing people in the box or being too aggressive in tackles

He often also fouls a lot when an attacker is going for an aerial duel and uses his frame and elbows to gain an advantage. In possession he is very good on the ball, playing with both feet, even though he is a natural right-footer. He is not the kind of centre-back that will be a play-maker but he has a very good and tense long pass to stretch the opposition and can also hit strong low passes to break opposition lines

He is an obvious threat in offensive set-pieces and jumps very high. However, Benfica have been one of the worse defensive set-piece side in the league and obviously Rúben plays a part in that.

Overall, you'll be getting a very good player, a leader, and someone that will be loved by the fans. He plays with passion but he is technically gifted. He has played with Ederson (I believe) and Bernardo will be a big help for him.

He is no Lindelof, much stronger than him and a much bigger presence. He is better than the swede, and keep in mind that Lindelof was the best defender in our league a couple of years ago

I'm excited to see him play under Guardiola and I hope he gets regarded as one of the best in the future - soon to be the captain of our national team."

Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/MCFC/comments/ ... rspective/

Sounds a lot like Otamendi! :lol:
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby zabbadabbado » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:44 am

From what i am hearing he would struggle to catch Rodri.

I still have vivid memories of Mangala.

I think some of our fans are hoping for too much from this Guy.

Our problem right now is our system.

I see this poor fucker being thrust straight in to the back 4,with Gudogan and Rodri sitting just in front.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Postby nottsblue » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:52 am

Clowncrete wrote:

Wasn't Rodwell signed by Brian Marwood? Txiki and Ferran weren't part of the club in summer 2012.

I spoke with a benfica supporter to understand how they rate Ruben Dias. This is quite a detailed analysis from that person's view and I thought it's worth sharing:

"So, this guy is a natural leader and communicator on the pitch. Something that often goes unseen is his ability to command the backline and work with the goalkeeper to cover the space in behind

He is very aggressive, when he is playing he simply doesn't have any friends, always with a mean face and looking as concentrated as he can be

He doesn't often lunge into tackles like Otamendi, but he does sometimes get stuck in and makes some late tackles that warrant an extreme overreaction in the portuguese league, since the referees whistle for everything and get way too excited with strong tackles

He is not the fastest, but he does control the space very well, antecipating opposition moves and passes

On the 1v1s he is probably the best in our league and can easily bully opponents off the ball

Unfortunately, even though he might look like he is concentrated all the time, he has his lapses. More often off the ball or in ground duels. He commits a fairly large amount of "easy" penalties by grabbing people in the box or being too aggressive in tackles

He often also fouls a lot when an attacker is going for an aerial duel and uses his frame and elbows to gain an advantage. In possession he is very good on the ball, playing with both feet, even though he is a natural right-footer. He is not the kind of centre-back that will be a play-maker but he has a very good and tense long pass to stretch the opposition and can also hit strong low passes to break opposition lines

He is an obvious threat in offensive set-pieces and jumps very high. However, Benfica have been one of the worse defensive set-piece side in the league and obviously Rúben plays a part in that.

Overall, you'll be getting a very good player, a leader, and someone that will be loved by the fans. He plays with passion but he is technically gifted. He has played with Ederson (I believe) and Bernardo will be a big help for him.

He is no Lindelof, much stronger than him and a much bigger presence. He is better than the swede, and keep in mind that Lindelof was the best defender in our league a couple of years ago

I'm excited to see him play under Guardiola and I hope he gets regarded as one of the best in the future - soon to be the captain of our national team."

Brilliant. He gives away a lot of fouls and penalties. Because we are so good at defending set pieces.

And how shit must the Portuguese league be if Lindelof was the best defender in it a couple of years ago?

Can’t be alone in thinking this transfer has fuck up written all over it
nottsblue

Postby sheblue » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:25 am

When we signed Fernando from them, I think it was, well one of the Portugal teams. We were told he would be great. What was it they called him an octopus I think. Well the truth begged to differ.
Not writing him off, never seen him play. We will see soon enough.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby zabbadabbado » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:29 am

nottsblue wrote:
Clowncrete wrote:

Brilliant. He gives away a lot of fouls and penalties. Because we are so good at defending set pieces.

And how shit must the Portuguese league be if Lindelof was the best defender in it a couple of years ago?

Can’t be alone in thinking this transfer has fuck up written all over it

This VV

I just didn't have the bollocks to write it.

Feels every bit like a plan D.

Hope i am wrong.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Postby zabbadabbado » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:37 am

sheblue wrote:When we signed Fernando from them, I think it was, well one of the Portugal teams. We were told he would be great. What was it they called him an octopus I think. Well the truth begged to differ.
Not writing him off, never seen him play. We will see soon enough.

Some of our fans have this Guy solving all our problems.

He wont.

Give him a few weeks of being hung out to dry defensively, behind Pep system,and our midfield his confidence will likely be shot.

The one thing he will need to be in Pep team is quicker than Erica Garcia.

Yet i am hearing he is not quick.

So we are getting yet another slow player to play Pep fast,expansive attacking game.

The Guy has not arrived yet.And i already feel like the writing is on the wall.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Nick » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:55 am

This makes me want to cry.

Sounds exactly like ota. But 5 times the price.

Forgot lindelof was from portugal - stop buying cbs from there!!
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum