sterling

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: sterling

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:13 pm

patrickblue wrote:Talk about hero to villain.
Not so long ago, anyone not wanking at the mention of his name was being treated as a traitor by some on here.

Sergio has missed them 1 at Spurs CL some need to get a grip
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby stupot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:19 pm

Sterling's missed 3 in a row in the Premier League apparently.
Kev's missed 1 since he got the job and scored the next time.
Gundo has also just missed 1.
He shouldn't take them, it's not rocket science.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby patrickblue » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:30 pm

TBH, I think the problem is Pep trying to get Sterling to think about what he's doing.
If Sterling plays reactively, he's fine, as soon as he starts to think he cocks up.
Shows most obviously in his one on ones with keepers, you know what he's going to do as soon as he breaks clear.
So in any rational person's view, he should be last on the list for taking penalties.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby aaron bond » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:34 pm

Sterling is an excellent player. He's proven that since he joined us.

But that doesn't mean he doesn't have limitations.

When he's in a poor run of form, he should be dropped. But Pep doesn't drop him.

He's always been weak at penalties. So he should be down the pecking order when selecting a penalty taker.

Anyone demanding we sell him or claiming he's shit are clearly wrong. But every player has some weaknesses so we just need to consider that when deciding tactics.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:23 pm

Did kev bottle it ???
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby nottsblue » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:09 pm

Anyone can miss a penalty

But he has now missed 3 in a row. As such he should be relieved of this duty. As for his form, it will come and go but he is nothing if not a fighter and he will come good again
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:09 pm

Nick wrote:Did kev bottle it ???

Yes. He's missed more big chances(according to Opta) in the PL than any other City player this season, might be playing on his mind.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:54 pm

SELL HIM!
and use the funds to buy haaland
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:06 pm

Weve gone from alot of leaders with alot of mentally "weak" in some respects
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Dubciteh » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:16 pm

aaron bond wrote:Sterling is an excellent player. He's proven that since he joined us.

When he's in a poor run of form, he should be dropped. But Pep doesn't drop him.

He's always been weak at penalties. So he should be down the pecking order when selecting a penalty taker.

Anyone demanding we sell him or claiming he's shit are clearly wrong. But every player has some weaknesses so we just need to consider that when deciding tactics.

Spot on.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:06 am

Dubciteh wrote:
aaron bond wrote:Sterling is an excellent player. He's proven that since he joined us.

Spot on.

But what is he excellent at? Except for his knack (and it is a bit more than that) of being in the right place at the right time, he is not excellent at anything. Also, no point in being in the right place if he is shit at finishing or cant take on a defender.

At the moment, for whatever reason, Sterlings value in the market is dictated by factors outside his footballing ability (similar to Rashford). I'd happily get rid of Sterling for the inflated fee we would get relative to his footballing ability. To think some people have him in the same value bracket as Mbappe or Haaland is absolutely mental
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby PeterParker » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:09 pm

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:

Spot on.

But what is he excellent at? Except for his knack (and it is a bit more than that) of being in the right place at the right time, he is not excellent at anything. Also, no point in being in the right place if he is shit at finishing or cant take on a defender.

At the moment, for whatever reason, Sterlings value in the market is dictated by factors outside his footballing ability (similar to Rashford). I'd happily get rid of Sterling for the inflated fee we would get relative to his footballing ability. To think some people have him in the same value bracket as Mbappe or Haaland is absolutely mental

Leave it, pal.
You cannot win this. People really think he is world class.

I really hope his fuck ups will not come and bite our ass again like it did with Lyon.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:26 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:

Spot on.

Leave it, pal.

I really hope his fuck ups will not come and bite our ass again like it did with Lyon.

It's not a case of people thinking he's world class, more that he's been very good for us and integral to our success since he signed.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Dubciteh » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:32 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:

Spot on.

Leave it, pal.

You have made that up, give me one person who said hes world class?

He has his faults but he is a threat to the opposition and would be a nightmare to mark from a defenders point of view. Yes he misses chances and fuck me it annoys me as much as anyone but hes still a valuable player for us. He is just going through one of those phases.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Tokyo Blue » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:57 pm

In typical mcf.net style, there is apparently nothing between "world class" and "should be sold immediately" and only those two opinions are allowed. It reminds of the happy days here when you had to call mark hughes "clueless" otherwise you "wanted to suck him off". You know who you are.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby london blue 2 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:21 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:In typical mcf.net style, there is apparently nothing between "world class" and "should be sold immediately" and only those two opinions are allowed. It reminds of the happy days here when you had to call mark hughes "clueless" otherwise you "wanted to suck him off". You know who you are.

Remember those days. Forum was a bit busier then.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby aaron bond » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:08 am

Dubciteh wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:

Spot on.

Leave it, pal.

You have made that up, give me one person who said hes world class?

He has his faults but he is a threat to the opposition and would be a nightmare to mark from a defenders point of view. Yes he misses chances and fuck me it annoys me as much as anyone but hes still a valuable player for us. He is just going through one of those phases.

Yep, agree with this.

He's a winger who has scored 23, 25 and 31 goals in the past 3 seasons. That's a great record and not many can beat that. But of course he's made mistakes in each of those seasons too and I'm not sure anyone here is pretending otherwise.

He's not scoring as many this season but as a squad we are scoring far less.

I actually think he would benefit if Pep didn't play him in every game or dropped him after a bad performance. But he's one of the few players that Pep always keeps in the starting 11.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby zuricity » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:05 am

On Wednesday I knew he was going to miss that penalty. In the wait before the penalty was taken the Camera focused on his face and his eyes were fluttering and dilating as if he was ill. this went on the whole time the camera was on his face - a good five seconds. He clearly needs to calm down. Gündo , despite many negative opinions on here , is as cold as ice and knows what he is doing.

Sterling's best asset is his speed but sometimes it works against him - especially one on ones with the goalie.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Kippax Sean » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:05 am

zuricity wrote:On Wednesday I knew he was going to miss that penalty. In the wait before the penalty was taken the Camera focused on his face and his eyes were fluttering and dilating as if he was ill. this went on the whole time the camera was on his face - a good five seconds. He clearly needs to calm down. Gündo , despite many negative opinions on here , is as cold as ice and knows what he is doing.

Sterling's best asset is his speed but sometimes it works against him - especially one on ones with the goalie.

If he was an actor I think he'd have a headache and vomit just before going on stage, forget a few lines, but still give a good performance. Possibly puts too much pressure on himself and in certain situations is close to giving himself a heart attack which isn't nice to see. Hope he calms down.
Kippax Sean
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

My favourite player is: Kun Aguero / Neil mcnab

Postby Nick » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:25 am

Kippax Sean wrote:
zuricity wrote:On Wednesday I knew he was going to miss that penalty. In the wait before the penalty was taken the Camera focused on his face and his eyes were fluttering and dilating as if he was ill. this went on the whole time the camera was on his face - a good five seconds. He clearly needs to calm down. Gündo , despite many negative opinions on here , is as cold as ice and knows what he is doing.

If he was an actor I think he'd have a headache and vomit just before going on stage, forget a few lines, but still give a good performance. Possibly puts too much pressure on himself and in certain situations is close to giving himself a heart attack which isn't nice to see. Hope he calms down.

Sounds like me internally, maybe I should give him a break.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum