sterling

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

sterling

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:53 pm

sell him next summer
not good enough, his final 10 mins today were embarrassing
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Re: sterling

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:18 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:sell him next summer

I have lost count of the embarrassing times hes fucked up and it always gets papered over by many as he scored quite a few over the years (most of which were put on a plate for him by the supporting cast) - just an average to good footballer IMO , he has too many flaws to be classed as world class ( Hes leap years away from that accolade ) and relies on his speed too much.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby ENIAM NAM » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:38 pm

Agreed. Virtually every attack seems to break down with him.
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby PeterParker » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:29 pm

Pace merchant.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby city72 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:30 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:sell him next summer

The boat might of sailed, should have sold him when real where sniffing. Maybe he’s happy doing the shaving commercials now.
city72
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester city

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:43 pm

Embarrassing.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Sparklehorse » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:53 pm

Terrible first touch, let him down on both one on ones today !
"Its better to be thought of as being a fool and remain silent than to speak up and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Sparklehorse
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: All of them

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:04 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Embarrassing.

looks like you’re in a tiny minority
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Dubciteh » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:13 pm

I wonder did that knee in the back that led fo kdbs free kick do damage to him? He wasn’t right after that. I dont mean the 1 on 1s he always misses them but at times he had his back to the ball and was kind of all over the place.

Hes a good to great player, the problem is we have only him at the moment who really looks threatening and its not working. He needs to be complimenting a fully functional attack not leading one on his own, if we are relying on him to score us big goals we are fucked. Time and time again he has proved he is not a front man and i dont care how many goals he has got. For me its the big goals and the big moments and he nearly always fluffs his lines just like today and just look lyon. It just shows how shambolic our recruitment has been over the last few years. All that money spent and still so many gaps....
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby PeterParker » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:35 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:

I am still amazed people can't see him for what he actually is.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:41 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

who? sterling or super fan (who’s much better than the rest of us) beefy?
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:42 pm

Shouldve been sold instead of Sane
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby s1ty m » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:46 pm

He's not a good footballer. His technique is shocking. Watch the first cup final goal v Watford, he almost swiped it wide from inches. Crazy. So many glaring misses from outrageous positions... Burnley, Lyon, many others. His first touch is so often awful, like today, staggers me he is so lauded. Great lad, not a good footballer. Sadly.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby PeterParker » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:48 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

who? sterling or super fan (who’s much better than the rest of us) beefy?

Sterling.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby PrezIke » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:52 pm

Panic merchants on here

scape goating him is bananas.

But some on here are sound like a bunch of irrational children.

He could do better. Yes. The touch on that key chance was frustrating, but I he seems to be trying so hard because few else are doing enough.

He's played a ridiculous number of games and rarely is on the bench if ever at all.

Sorry, please tell me who else is relied on for us up front? No Jesus, Aguero also can't play for any period of time and do much.

Mahrez, I admit has been rubbish this season after last was great.

We rely on him and who are the players creating chances other than Foden or KDB who's also been run into the ground.

Where's the venom for Bernardo?

he's been mr. invisible compared to Sterling who's been carrying us in many games.

Perspective is a mfer

Foden is now our other most reliable player up front. He and Raz were doing okay together, but how the issues in midfield aren't being seen as intimately connected to what's going on is rather mad.
Last edited by PrezIke on Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby PrezIke » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:53 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:Shouldve been sold instead of Sane

Dude, I want to be fair, really, but some of your analysis lately is hard to get. I thought you were smarter than this hyperbolic, reactionary silliness.

This is total fantasy.
Last edited by PrezIke on Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:07 pm

PrezIke wrote:

Dude, I want to be fair, really, but some of your analysis lately is hard to get. I thought you were smarter than this hyperbolic, reactionary silliness.

This is total fantasy.

None of it is reactionary. I've been saying this for over a year. Sane will be a FAR better player. Yes, Sterling has improved his goal numbers but a lot of those are down to Pep's system and arriving at the back post for an easy tap in. He has done nothing to improve his one on one play, his decision making on counter attacks, and his decision making in the box where he often delays way too much due to overthinking. Its the same shit every year. I firmly believe Sane is a better player (and I always have) and was a more dangerous weapon in this side and not only because of his pace (Sterling is quick too). Pep doesnt like dealing with big personalities so Sane was sold; if we'd given his a better contract offer my belief is that he wouldve stayed.

I thought you were one of the more level-headed posters on here too. Yet, you see something you dont understand and/or agree with and you lash out. Its okay. Not everyone has the intelligence and maturity to deal with difference of opinions. I dont hold it against you. Its all good. And stop acting like im the crazy one here. Look at the people who want Pep sacked, Mario to come back, or bemoan literally every lineup Pep chooses regardless.
Saul Goodman

Postby PrezIke » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:10 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:
PrezIke wrote:

This is total fantasy.

None of it is reactionary. I've been saying this for over a year. Sane will be a FAR better player. Yes, Sterling has improved his goal numbers but a lot of those are down to Pep's system and arriving at the back post for an easy tap in. He has done nothing to improve his one on one play, his decision making on counter attacks, and his decision making in the box where he often delays way too much due to overthinking. Its the same shit every year. Sane is a far better player and was a more dangerous weapon in this side and not only because of his pace (Sterling is quick too).

I thought you were one of the more level-headed posters on here too. Yet, you see something you dont understand and/or agree with and you lash out. Its okay. Not everyone has the intelligence and maturity to deal with difference of opinions. I dont hold it against you. Its all good.

I hear you, and I'm reacting because the statements I'm reading seem to be missing the "balance" as you state. That's the reason.

For example, was it realistic to sell Sterling and keep Sane? you know we offered Sane a contract and he didn't take it?

Or that Sterling's value also comes from being is a HG player when we know we usually need them to make squad requirements for CL and the PL.

That's what I don't get. Doesn't all this have to be included in such a take? Where is that? Honestly. I'm asking.

Also, that Cancelo is "Trash" yet he has shown qualities. Yes, he has flaws, but this binary way of thinking is my problem.

It's the overly strong "hot take" statements I always have a problem with, hence my reaction.

We can disagree on Sterling, and I do think there are issues, but Sane also has his downsides that you surely can't ignore but I don't see that listed here.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:21 pm

Sure, Sane has attitude problems but i believe that was down to a personality clash with Pep.
If Pep has embraced him it couldve been different. There were people on here saying hes a future Balon d'Or winner so Im not alone in my high praise of Sane. If I recall, according to the media (yes, I know), we didn't offer Sane enligh money to reward him to stay. Like I said above, if we'd valued him he wouldve stayed. That's how I think about it.

And Cancelo is terrible. He had a good attacking game today on the left but hes a defender. And hes not good at it. Hes like a Brazilian fullback or his Portuguese counterpart (Gueirrero). They care way more about attacking than defending and only do it begrudgingly—if at all. Hes only slightly better than Mendy in that department. Lets not forget Real targeted him in the CL and their goal and best chances were because of him. He was at fault for the goal today as well.

His performance against Arsenal was shameful. He would walk around and throw his hands in the air like a child. Zero effort in defense. People will claim its about his position in that match but Ive seen Bernardo defend better than Cancelo and he is clearly not a fullback.
My opinion is that Cancelo is nowhere near good enough. I said the same about Mahrez two seasons ago and now everyone wants him out because hes lazy, a one trick pony, and slows the play down.
Saul Goodman

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:25 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:
PrezIke wrote:

This is total fantasy.

or bemoan literally every lineup Pep chooses regardless.

His line up today was a joke.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum