The defence

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

The defence

Postby john@staustell » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:55 am

Just 13 league goals conceded.

Diaz the de facto captain for me, Stones playing like he only ever got close to once with us, like a man possessed, some fantastic tackles going in. Walker and Cancelo both playing well. Left back a real problem but once we get one of them......................

Long time since we had such good CBs
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Re: The defence

Postby salford city » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:04 am

Has been a problem for a couple of years and now, left back aside, looks to be very good. The pragmatic approach will stand us in good stead in later stages of chumps league but serge needs to get back on the pitch to take what may be 1 of only 2 chances we may get against a scouse or bayern
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:24 am

salford city wrote:Has been a problem for a couple of years and now, left back aside, looks to be very good. The pragmatic approach will stand us in good stead in later stages of chumps league but serge needs to get back on the pitch to take what may be 1 of only 2 chances we may get against a scouse or bayern

Alphonso Davies is the player we need. Absolutely brilliant left back and will be the best in the world for a long time to come.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Dubciteh » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:37 am

If you had of told me up till recently three of our back four were cancelo, zinchenko and stones i would have thought we were fucked, just shows how great dias has been. Fair play to the others they have all stepped up. Zinchenko playing well is a bonus he is a perfectly good second choice left back just need to shift mendy and get a top class one in. He will do for time being though.

Stones made an amazing tackle/block on maupay yesterday that the commentators played down by criticising the striker but it was excellent. He has his confidence back and looks great.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby stupot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:01 pm

Dubciteh wrote:If you had of told me up till recently three of our back four were cancelo, zinchenko and stones i would have thought we were fucked, just shows how great dias has been. Fair play to the others they have all stepped up. Zinchenko playing well is a bonus he is a perfectly good second choice left back just need to shift mendy and get a top class one in. He will do for time being though.

Stones made an amazing tackle/block on maupay yesterday that the commentators played down by criticising the striker but it was excellent. He has his confidence back and looks great.

Agree with most of that. Dias makes a 1-0 lead look safe and Stones is playing with more and more confidence next to him.
Cancelo had been good and he did some nice things going forward last night but he gave the ball away more than anyone else on the team.
I can't see what Zinchenko offers. People say he's out of position and should be an attacking midfielder but he offers nothing going forward and as a defender he doesn't tackle, he gets caught out of position and he panics constantly. That chip to Ederson could easily have cost us 2 points.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby john@staustell » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:08 pm

Zinchenko is a terrible player. Slow as God knows what and gives it away more than most. Every team we play is clearly targeting him. He isn't particularly good at basic defending. He can look neat at times and is well covered by the CBs and midfielders, giving an illusion of being half decent. But one of those players who, once he leaves a top club and becomes more exposed, will quickly disappear without trace - at least as a left back (which he isn't, to be fair)
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Scatman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:42 pm

john@staustell wrote:Zinchenko is a terrible player. Slow as God knows what and gives it away more than most. Every team we play is clearly targeting him. He isn't particularly good at basic defending. He can look neat at times and is well covered by the CBs and midfielders, giving an illusion of being half decent. But one of those players who, once he leaves a top club and becomes more exposed, will quickly disappear without trace - at least as a left back (which he isn't, to be fair)

A terrible player maybe, but so much better than the alternative
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby PeterParker » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:52 pm

Imagine instead of Dias, we could have transfered Koulibaly or Kounde.

Fair play to Cheeky, he earned his money.
Fair play also to the fella who had a proper chat with Stonesbauer. At the moment I can't see a better pair in the world.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby stupot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:14 pm

Scatman wrote:
john@staustell wrote:Zinchenko is a terrible player. Slow as God knows what and gives it away more than most. Every team we play is clearly targeting him. He isn't particularly good at basic defending. He can look neat at times and is well covered by the CBs and midfielders, giving an illusion of being half decent. But one of those players who, once he leaves a top club and becomes more exposed, will quickly disappear without trace - at least as a left back (which he isn't, to be fair)

Think he's equally bad to be honest. Rashford murdered him against the rags and Dias saved his skin. Shocking again last night.
Cancelo at left back now Walker is fit or Ake there when he's back are both the sensible alternatives for me.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby s1ty m » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:31 pm

stupot wrote:
Scatman wrote:

Think he's equally bad to be honest. Rashford murdered him against the rags and Dias saved his skin. Shocking again last night.
Cancelo at left back now Walker is fit or Ake there when he's back are both the sensible alternatives for me.

Zinchenko is very poor.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:36 pm

We're playing 3 at the back now more often than not, when in possession, with Cancelo playing as a midfielder.

I can see Ake or Laporte playing that 'left back' role when they're fit.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:44 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:We're playing 3 at the back now more often than not, when in possession, with Cancelo playing as a midfielder.

Would like to se Ake at LB, think he plays there for the Dutch team
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:55 pm

Harry Dowd scored wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:We're playing 3 at the back now more often than not, when in possession, with Cancelo playing as a midfielder.

Yep, he offers little going forward but for that role where he's essentially a wide centre back I think he'd be ideal.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby salford city » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:56 pm

Harry Dowd scored wrote:

Think we all would if we could actually get him on the pitch for a run of games. Think him rather than Laporte there may be the answer
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby PeterParker » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:55 pm

Harry Dowd scored wrote:

Ake all the way. I think Aymeric can't play there due to his speed.
Laport's future here, I think, will be discussed.

That fuck up vs Spuds really annoyed Baldie and I think we will not see him again in big games this season.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Lees Alter Ego » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:58 am

Dias has completely revolutionised our defence. He’s been immense. To come in and make such an impact is incredible and for me the reason stones looks so good.

Dias as stones have started 9 games together. Conceded 1 (away at Chelsea last min). Best defence in league and that’s after conceding 5 against Leicester (Ake and Garcia that day, shite)
Lees Alter Ego
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Kippax Sean » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:40 am

Dias has become the player I thought Laporte was going to be. Vocal, passionate, a leader and committed to City and his teammates. Dream scenario for me would be Mendy sold and never seen around the place again. Ake as mentioned already can become our number 1 left back and that's as good a defense as you'll find anywhere when you add Ed to that.
Kippax Sean
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

My favourite player is: Kun Aguero / Neil mcnab

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:23 pm

Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Nick » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:33 pm

Zinch getting unfair stick here
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby nottsblue » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:09 pm

In the last 9 games we have allowed the opponents just 13 shots on target. It's this sort of solidity that crushes the opposition before they've even kicked off as the mindset is how the hell are we going to score today
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum