The ”Haaland” Alternative

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The ”Haaland” Alternative

Postby Mase » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:28 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:
Wooders wrote:Bamfords had a great season and ticks a lot of boxes for me - would cost a fraction of haaland

Yep - this would be my choice - he would score a hatful in our team

Bamford is 28 this summer. He’s not going to get any better than he is imo.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby PrezIke » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:20 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
PrezIke wrote:Kane
Joao Felix
Lukaku (maybe and least likely)

Felix would cost north of 100m even as cut price deal. Harry Kane probably around 100m. Lukaku is as far away from the type of player Pep values as one can possibly get.

You read my points?

Why?
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby PrezIke » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:28 pm

Outcast wrote:
PrezIke wrote:
Mase wrote:Felix would cost us over £100m. He’s scored 7 goals in 24 games in La Liga. I wouldn’t bother.

I've written this before I believe, and elsewhere I wrote an epic post (I'll spare that pain lol) but basically the maths don't quite add up to Felix needing to be 100m+ or anywhere near what they paid. Why?

1) Griezmann was sold just before for 6M Euros less than Felix. Based on this if they sell for 80M they'd get a 74M profit.

2) Felix's wages are less than Griezmann. So 6m is likely less. They've cut their wage bill and saved more.

3) Felix's low goal total cannot help his re-sale value (even if it is widely known that Atletico do not play a style that get him many chances per game)

4) Felix's value seems unlikely to increase much next season as long as Simeone is their manager (If he leaves after this season then that could change)

5) Felix cannot be happy with his value dropping + not getting to show off his talents as he was never going to stay if he performs.

6) If Haaland and/or Kane are too expensive Felix price (80-95m IMO) may be acceptable.

7) We've already tried to sign him before, he would fit and his value is low and he's young enough you could sell if needs me (not ideal but is one reason to consider signing if the other options are gone)

8) Lukaku - who some think is a better bet, I don't see leaving after such a good season, CL and the title. Next year Inter will want to repeat and they can. His "brand" is improving and I understand Inter and he are seriously considering a new deal.

9) Who else is there left?

Ings? Calvert-Lewin? Otherwise we go with the same or MAYBE Messi for 1 year rental and deal with the market next season, but we let Aguero go.

10) Despite the goal total his value, age, our past interest, and knowing Atleti's style is still high enough to warrant a serious look.

With all due respect, are yiu trying to convince yourself he'll cost less than £100m?

I’m already convinced by that evidence hence my view. Why would I need to be convinced? I have no real stake in Felix’s arrival or not. I can say I am OPEN to his arrival, and can see it happening. He’s not my first or even 2nd choice.

My analysis is based on evidence I presented.

Everyone who keeps insisting he will be 100m+, with all due respect, I have really yet to read one argument other than digging in because of his previous price, even if I repeatedly show evidence to address that argument. Most I’ve read who disagree seem to mostly insist their view is true and dismiss other arguments as bollocks and somehow I’m biased (ad hominem). Is that the most effective way to debate?

Do we take one piece of data that suits a point we want to make for an argument or do we also not address the other prices of evidence with other evidence to show otherwise?

I can concede that Felix may not come. There are many factors that we have no idea about. I’m basing on what I can see making sense from as much evidence as I can think of or gain access to

Could it be that some of our fans disagreeing also just don’t WANT Felix and are trying to find a rationalization for this feeling?
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby PrezIke » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:47 pm

PeterParker wrote:
PrezIke wrote:
Mase wrote:Felix would cost us over £100m. He’s scored 7 goals in 24 games in La Liga. I wouldn’t bother.

I've written this before I believe, and elsewhere I wrote an epic post (I'll spare that pain lol) but basically the maths don't quite add up to Felix needing to be 100m+ or anywhere near what they paid. Why?

1) Griezmann was sold just before for 6M Euros less than Felix. Based on this if they sell for 80M they'd get a 74M profit.

2) Felix's wages are less than Griezmann. So 6m is likely less. They've cut their wage bill and saved more.

3) Felix's low goal total cannot help his re-sale value (even if it is widely known that Atletico do not play a style that get him many chances per game)

4) Felix's value seems unlikely to increase much next season as long as Simeone is their manager (If he leaves after this season then that could change)

5) Felix cannot be happy with his value dropping + not getting to show off his talents as he was never going to stay if he performs.

6) If Haaland and/or Kane are too expensive Felix price (80-95m IMO) may be acceptable.

7) We've already tried to sign him before, he would fit and his value is low and he's young enough you could sell if needs me (not ideal but is one reason to consider signing if the other options are gone)

8) Lukaku - who some think is a better bet, I don't see leaving after such a good season, CL and the title. Next year Inter will want to repeat and they can. His "brand" is improving and I understand Inter and he are seriously considering a new deal.

Ings? Calvert-Lewin? Otherwise we go with the same or MAYBE Messi for 1 year rental and deal with the market next season, but we let Aguero go.

10) Despite the goal total his value, age, our past interest, and knowing Atleti's style is still high enough to warrant a serious look.

But Felix is not a scorer, he is more of a KDB, Gundo, Bernie player. Not a poacher or advance striker, what we actually need.

You certain he;s not a scorer? He is a hybrid better scoring false 9 than anyone we have because he is better at scoring from my observation.

Also mentioned is Suarez is the primary goal scorer so he’s the secondary and he has struggled in the system and doesn’t play as much one might think,

He does not get chances in Athletio’s setup. He can take a pen, and overall finishing is strong, whilst also being able to retain possession and create with strong passing.

No one is going to pay 100m right now. Maybe Atleti can hold another year or so, but does Felix want to stay if we miss our targets and reach out to him again, and offer Atleti 80-85+ Performance bonuses that push towards 100m euros?

Don’t be shocked to see something like that if we can’t get Haaland or Kane.

Who’s next if we can’t?
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby PrezIke » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:55 pm

You go for Calvert-Lewin, for example...

1) He is not as talented as Felix and that’s who we go for?

2) You’re still going to overpay massively because he’s English
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby PeterParker » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:57 pm

PrezIke wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
PrezIke wrote:

But Felix is not a scorer, he is more of a KDB, Gundo, Bernie player. Not a poacher or advance striker, what we actually need.

You certain he;s not a scorer? He is a hybrid better scoring false 9 than anyone we have because he is better at scoring from my observation.

Also mentioned is Suarez is the primary goal scorer so he’s the secondary and he has struggled in the system and doesn’t play as much one might think,

He does not get chances in Athletio’s setup. He can take a pen, and overall finishing is strong, whilst also being able to retain possession and create with strong passing.

No one is going to pay 100m right now. Maybe Atleti can hold another year or so, but does Felix want to stay if we miss our targets and reach out to him again, and offer Atleti 80-85+ Performance bonuses that push towards 100m euros?

Don’t be shocked to see something like that if we can’t get Haaland or Kane.

Who’s next if we can’t?

100% he is not a scorer, I like him a lot, but where he plays we already have a lot of options.
What we need is a lazy cunt that can score 11 out of 10. But someone like that isn't a "Pep player".
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby mcfc1632 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:07 am

Mase wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:
Wooders wrote:Bamfords had a great season and ticks a lot of boxes for me - would cost a fraction of haaland

Bamford is 28 this summer. He’s not going to get any better than he is imo.

I understand your thinking, for me I am thinking that:

• next season is not that far off and I cannot really see the ideal player at the affordable price - I worry that we could spend big on someone that is not the right fit
  • Bamford would 'fit right in' IMO and score goals for fun for a couple of years during which the right alternative can be identified and we do not lose out big time as Bamford would not have cost so much
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:34 am

PrezIke wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
PrezIke wrote:Kane
Joao Felix
Lukaku (maybe and least likely)

Felix would cost north of 100m even as cut price deal. Harry Kane probably around 100m. Lukaku is as far away from the type of player Pep values as one can possibly get.

You read my points?

Why?

I read your points. They are not going to give up on their most expensive player ever for significant loss. You look at way they conduct their business they rarely if ever make loss. Their payments are probably spread throughout the (ridiculous) seven year contract they handed him. That's how most clubs apart from City do. Therefore this summer they have probably paid less than 40m for him.

Furthermore, he just turned 21 few months ago if my memory serves me. He doesn't yet do what Simeone expects him to do in their very demanding system. That's why he is mostly on the bench. Simeone is clearly coaching him up. You have to remember that Simeone has such strong position within Atletico hierarchy that this would have been Simeone's signing. He is also not really the type of guy to admit his errors so I fully expect him to keep coaching Felix up until he suits Simeone's system. Even in his lacklustre start for Atletico there are lot of room for them to be excited. Having played probably less than half of the minutes possible in La Liga he still has respectable seven goals to his name (and 3 in 8 in Champion's League) which, if he played all the time and managed to hold that record would place him among top 5 or 6 scorers in La Liga. Also, amazingly enough, he is among top 10 players in La Liga in shots per game despite playing only half of the time. Which in turn tells that he does get into positions to score consistently ie he is creating that precious XG when he actually does play. Simeone's problem is that he is incompetent in pressing which Simeone values above all but that usually has more to do with his fitness training and strength which are both easily coached.

Then we come to our position. Felix is talented feller in the mould of David Silva but we have never spent that sort of money (even the 80m you mention which I think will not happen anyway) for anyone. Definitely not someone how is having down year(s). Also, we have quite a few similar players to Felix within squad right now. We only have basically one out and out striker in G-Sus.

We will see and I have been wrong in the past but I'm quite certain that 1) he isn't really for sale unless they recoup their money at very least 2) he would suit what we are looking for right now.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby stupot » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:00 am

mcfc1632 wrote:

I work with quite a few Leeds fans, they all say he scores some great goals but is a shit finisher.
Not for us.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Outcast » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:14 pm

Bamford!
Really?
Do we need another Jesus?
We are trying to replace Aguero here (sigh)
Rather take a gamble on Delap.
We're trying to replace a great striker not gap and squad fillers.
P.s what makes some posters on here think Leeds will sell him on the cheap? He's one of their prize assets and they're in the premier League, can't imagine them being desperate to sell.
The notion that we don't need a top striker will come back to bite us on the arse, false 9 will get sussed out next season, we need to adapt

I think this could go either way, we're either going big or gambling on a Unrecognised talent
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby PeterParker » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:32 pm

I wonder if the Andre Silva rumours is true.
Flop at Milan, he seems he is finding his game this season at Frankfurt.

Wonder if our Portuguese squad gave the board some input about him.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Whassat » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:40 pm

Delap will be third choice striker next season. It'll be interesting watching him play when he gets the chance.

Im quite confident that we will sign a forward. But we wont be held ransom to transfer sums in excess of >100M euros. It will be a shrewd signing, from some of the lesser teams in Spain, Portugal or England. My guess is still Alexander Isak from Real Sociedad - He is a Pep kind of player. Good technique, bustling with energy and a better finisher than Jesus.
Whassat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City, AIK
My favourite player is: The magician

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:14 am

Whassat wrote:Delap will be third choice striker next season. It'll be interesting watching him play when he gets the chance.

Im quite confident that we will sign a forward. But we wont be held ransom to transfer sums in excess of >100M euros. It will be a shrewd signing, from some of the lesser teams in Spain, Portugal or England. My guess is still Alexander Isak from Real Sociedad - He is a Pep kind of player. Good technique, bustling with energy and a better finisher than Jesus.

I kind of hope not. Boy just turned 18 and has zero experience of mens games. It's hard to explain what a difference it is to play at youth or even reserve level and mens games. He needs to go out on loan for a year and learn the game.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby stupot » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:05 am

He's been 3rd choice striker this season if you think about it as we've only got 2 others. Doesn't really mean a lot.

The EDS beat the dippers last night 3-2 and are close to winning the league now. Delap didn't score but did miss a 1 on 1.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mase » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:22 am

stupot wrote:He's been 3rd choice striker this season if you think about it as we've only got 2 others. Doesn't really mean a lot.

The EDS beat the dippers last night 3-2 and are close to winning the league now. Delap didn't score but did miss a 1 on 1.

I saw that Cole Palmer scores again. I’d imagine he’ll be full-time training with the 1st team as well next season.

Also noticed Philippe Sandler played. Completely forgot he still played for us!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby nottsblue » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:28 pm

Looks like Kane has said he wants out of Spurs this summer if they don’t qualify for the CL

There aren’t many clubs he can go to. There’s Chelsea, us and the rags. And there’s little chance of him going to Chelsea. And the rags aren’t exactly flush with trophies.

However, he still has three years left on his contract and Levy would be reluctant to let him go I would imagine so it’s still unlikely he will rock up here this summer.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby zuricity » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:29 pm

nottsblue wrote:Looks like Kane has said he wants out of Spurs this summer if they don’t qualify for the CL

There aren’t many clubs he can go to. There’s Chelsea, us and the rags. And there’s little chance of him going to Chelsea. And the rags aren’t exactly flush with trophies.

However, he still has three years left on his contract and Levy would be reluctant to let him go I would imagine so it’s still unlikely he will rock up here this summer.

Don't want this playground bully anywhere near City - he's ott.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Hazy2 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:11 pm

Today’s defeat for me is confirmation you can be ok, but without a killer upfront, who not notches in a so so game, we will have days like today. A top forward gets goals, we have in Raheem and Jesus we have team players, never going to be the frontman who sorts it out like shelling peas. Leeds had two chances ffs.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:35 pm

Hazy2 wrote:Today’s defeat for me is confirmation \.

That Jesus and Sterling are never ever ever in a fuckign month of Sundays going to be regular (if ever )match winners.

There you go mate.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Dimples » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:00 am

zuricity wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Looks like Kane has said he wants out of Spurs this summer if they don’t qualify for the CL

Don't want this playground bully anywhere near City - he's ott.

Same here.
Hopefully Kane has stupidly backed himself into a corner he cannot get out of. His contract has 3 years to run, Levi will demand crazy money and no one will pay it due to Covid loss of income and Kane's age. Then Levi will be happy to keep him as Spurs are in big trouble without Kane.
So that could leave Kane in a golden handcuffs type of situation.
Kane should sack his advisors with immediate effect for allowing this scenario to be a possibility.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum