***City v Dortmund |Official Match Thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***City v Dortmund |Official Match Thread***

Postby PeterParker » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:32 pm

Mase wrote:
PeterParker wrote:https://www.gsp.ro/international/liga-campionilor/octavian-sovre-autograf-haaland-autism-628590.html

Well, well, well, the assistant ref was getting an autograph for a kid with autism.
Talk about bent media.

Pep had the perfect response to it. He pretty said it’s likely to be for a kid. The media are all pieces of shit.

Wonder if BT are still offended?
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Mase » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:55 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Mase wrote:
PeterParker wrote:https://www.gsp.ro/international/liga-campionilor/octavian-sovre-autograf-haaland-autism-628590.html

Well, well, well, the assistant ref was getting an autograph for a kid with autism.
Talk about bent media.

Pep had the perfect response to it. He pretty said it’s likely to be for a kid. The media are all pieces of shit.

Wonder if BT are still offended?

Jenas is still in bed. Hasn’t been able to get out of it today. Poor guy
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Clowncrete » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:28 pm

london blue 2 wrote:
Nick wrote:Wrf was eddy doing though wouldn't be surprised if that got him dropped

No chance.

But that was stupid, and it summed us up all match. Really slow on the ball and almost caught out a few too many times. I do wonder if we are used to a certain pace of pressing in the prem, and this match was big step up that nearly caught us cold.

Not sure how much time some of the players thought they had - I can think of 5 - 10 occasions players dwelled on the ball and nearly got pickpocketed, including Ed, Rod, Mahrez, Gundo, Kev, Cancelo, Walker... I kept screaming at them to play quicker, but I don't think they heard me.

Well, we play arguably the most intense pressing side in the league next so hopefully our players start getting used to it and it serves as great warm up!
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:46 pm

Looks like trouble for Bayern 2 nil down at home to PSG. Classic BT commentary remark -
"for years PSG have tried to look the real elite in the eye"
the 'real elite' - we know who they are - says it all.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:53 am

Outcast wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
john68 wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Sigh. It's going to be flip of a coin in Dortmund.

Disagree Mate, Tonight we were very poor by our standards, yet we still managed to get the win we needed, if not the result we wished for.
I can't see us playing as poorly over there.
The onus is on Dortmund to come out, the counter attacking style won't be as useful to them and that will crreate gaps for us to take advantage of.

Yep, we were lucky with a major reffing decision but we've been on the receiving end too often to complain about that.
I fancy our chances over there to win the tie outright and go further.

Mate, they are deadly at home and will have time to regroup. This is also their main competition this season. That away goal really hurts us. I'm genuinely of opinion that it can go either way 50/50 chance. Early goal and we'll have a good chance but if it drags on 0-0 for a long time we'll be struggling. They are guaranteed to score at home.

Didn't we win 15 away games on the bounce? I'm not overly confident but optimistic, I think its 70/30 to us, don't forget they're defensively poor but still dangerous. If we consider ourselves the best, these are the games we need to see through

That's in the league where Pep's machine usually works. We wear everyone out and then deliver deathblow. Most teams, even the good ones, go into the game thinking "draw here is alright, even at home". We sometimes struggle whenever someone really has a go at us. And Dortmund have absolutely nothing to lose. They will press high and try to win goal early. Remember, all they need to do is to score one and keep a clean sheet.

I agree that if CL is something we are gunning for then we need to win ties like this. I'm just saying that it's going to be a tough tough game.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:56 am

Mase wrote:
stupot wrote:
Dameerto wrote:
salford city wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:Bellingham please top draw replacement for Ferna

First time ive seen the kid other than against san Marino and he does look the part very tidy player

I saw an interview he did when he was 15 or 16, he's got an old head on his young shoulders. Apparently very grounded too.

Liked his interview last night as well. No chucking his toys out of the pram over the disallowed goal. Reckoned we were possibly the best team in the world .

He did it via Twitter. He’s only 17 so he can be forgiven for crying about something that isn’t going to change.

What's wrong with that? I'd be pissed off if that was me. Competitor venting out his feelings.

I mean half of the kids his age playing professional football would be dropping pics of themselves sipping Crystal in jacuzzi with some lovely bitches around him. Shows he is bothered. I like it.

P.s. I liked that tweet when I saw it.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mase » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:29 am

Crying about something that’s gone. It’s not going to change anything. He actually made a couple of posts about the same incident. But like my post stated - he’s 17.

I don’t know Bellingham personally, so I can’t comment on whether he’s a competitor or not.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dameerto » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:50 am

Mase wrote:Crying about something that’s gone. It’s not going to change anything. He actually made a couple of posts about the same incident. But like my post stated - he’s 17.

I don’t know Bellingham personally, so I can’t comment on whether he’s a competitor or not.

But you can interpret that he's crying by posting a picture, ok. I wouldn't mind if he rocked up at City in the near future.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Mase » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:13 am

Dameerto wrote:
Mase wrote:Crying about something that’s gone. It’s not going to change anything. He actually made a couple of posts about the same incident. But like my post stated - he’s 17.

But you can interpret that he's crying by posting a picture, ok. I wouldn't mind if he rocked up at City in the near future.

I don’t need to interpret it, I can see his posts. It was mentioned that Bellingham took having the goal disallowed well. I showed he didn’t, and that’s understandable. I’d be fuming.
Sorry if my comment offended you both. I’m sure Jude won’t read it and it won’t effect us potentially signing him in the future.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:53 am

Mase wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

I don’t need to interpret it, I can see his posts. It was mentioned that Bellingham took having the goal disallowed well. I showed he didn’t, and that’s understandable. I’d be fuming.
Sorry if my comment offended you both. I’m sure Jude won’t read it and it won’t effect us potentially signing him in the future.

I wasn't offended one bit. Was just saying that I like the fact that he is pissed off.

Funnily enough, I've seen him play about five years ago in one youth tournament. I think boys must've been 12 or something at the time. By FAR the best player in that tournament and yes, he showcased his competitive nature. At that tender age there was no single one thing I hadn't seen before in a youth player but he was one those lads who "can just play football really REALLY well".

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mase » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:18 am

Mase wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

I wasn't offended one bit. Was just saying that I like the fact that he is pissed off.

Funnily enough, I've seen him play about five years ago in one youth tournament. I think boys must've been 12 or something at the time. By FAR the best player in that tournament and yes, he showcased his competitive nature. At that tender age there was no single one thing I hadn't seen before in a youth player but he was one those lads who "can just play football really REALLY well".

There’s no doubt he looks like he’s going to be class. I’d love us to get him in the future. Mental to think he could spend the next 3-4 years playing in Dortmund’s first team and STILL only be the same age Foden is now!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby nottsblue » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:57 am

Re the mentality of winning the CL

Wonder if we would stand a better chance of winning it if we weren’t as successful domestically? I mean, we are usually in a PL title race and usually have gone deep in the domestic cups so we always seem to have big important games to play in and around the latter stages of the CL. Maybe if we only had the CL to focus on then getting over the big hurdle of winning it the first time might be easier?
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:56 pm

nottsblue wrote:Re the mentality of winning the CL

Wonder if we would stand a better chance of winning it if we weren’t as successful domestically? I mean, we are usually in a PL title race and usually have gone deep in the domestic cups so we always seem to have big important games to play in and around the latter stages of the CL. Maybe if we only had the CL to focus on then getting over the big hurdle of winning it the first time might be easier?

annoys the shit out of me how klopp is lauded as some kind of genius for winning 2 trophies in 2 years, conveniently ignoring how he f*cked off the other competitions.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:57 pm

Not sure about that, I still believe that Pep’s overt “inferiority complex” about City rubbing shoulders with the so called elite teams has spread to the players, look how he always bigs up the rags and dippers as if we are lucky to be challenging them for honours.
We were nervous against Dortmund, if that Dortmund team were in the PL we would see them off no problem, but in the CL we play the competition not the team, it is the only explanation for our relatively poor performance in the CL
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby stupot » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:20 pm

Harry Dowd scored wrote:

Not sure about that, I still believe that Pep’s overt “inferiority complex” about City rubbing shoulders with the so called elite teams has spread to the players, look how he always bigs up the rags and dippers as if we are lucky to be challenging them for honours.
We were nervous against Dortmund, if that Dortmund team were in the PL we would see them off no problem, but in the CL we play the competition not the team, it is the only explanation for our relatively poor performance in the CL

I don't think he's got an inferiority complex. He plays it down like he plays everything down with his one match at a time insistence.
The most "elite" team out there in terms of CL honours are Real Madrid and we beat them home and away last year, he cocked up then with his team in the next round against a French side who we'd normally beat easily.
I reckon he's learned that lesson and the side he picked the other night was what practically all of us wanted and i don't think the performance was as bad as a lot are making out. I'm confident we're going through.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Outcast » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:24 pm

Harry Dowd scored wrote:

I think the main difference every opposition player in that competition raise their game as if it's a cup final, excelling in that competition will certainly raise their profile and earn them lucrative deals not to mention the slower pace and the expectations on our players to deliver takes it toll. Oh, of courose Peps Infamous brainfarts
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:32 pm

Outcast wrote:
Harry Dowd scored wrote:

I think the main difference every opposition player in that competition raise their game as if it's a cup final, excelling in that competition will certainly raise their profile and earn them lucrative deals not to mention the slower pace and the expectations on our players to deliver takes it toll. Oh, of courose Peps Infamous brainfarts

Fair comment, but it is clear we are not as confident in the CL as domestic competitions, and it is not just the quality of the opposition, I still believe we play the actual competition not the opposing team
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire

Postby branny » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:25 pm

john68 wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Sigh. It's going to be flip of a coin in Dortmund.

Disagree Mate, Tonight we were very poor by our standards, yet we still managed to get the win we needed, if not the result we wished for.
I can't see us playing as poorly over there.
The onus is on Dortmund to come out, the counter attacking style won't be as useful to them and that will crreate gaps for us to take advantage of.

Yep, we were lucky with a major reffing decision but we've been on the receiving end too often to complain about that.
I fancy our chances over there to win the tie outright and go further.

Mate, they are deadly at home and will have time to regroup. This is also their main competition this season. That away goal really hurts us. I'm genuinely of opinion that it can go either way 50/50 chance. Early goal and we'll have a good chance but if it drags on 0-0 for a long time we'll be struggling. They are guaranteed to score at home.

Just had a look at their home record. Ten wins, four draws and four lost in all competitions. Eight clean sheets including the first four so currently four in the last fourteen. We have only failed to hit the back of the net three times on our travels this season. The dead rubber at Porto, Spurs away and the bore fest at the Swamp. I can't see us playing as badly as we did in the first leg but it's the CL and anything could happen.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:27 pm

Our loanee playing for Granada tonight, young Yangel Herrara, is supposed to be Fern's replacement next season. Interesting to see how he gets on with the swampies.
Watch on youtube.com
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby zuricity » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:54 pm

Re: the disallowed goal.

We were lucky there, Ed has the occasional cock up in him. I don't understand why he , and others do this too, flicked the ball up.

We were 1-0 up and although we like to play from the back, there are simply times when you just hoof the ball either into Row Z or upfield. That is what Ed should have done, there were no players nearby to even take a pass in order to take the steam out of the play.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum