PL Games April 9/10/11/12

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: PL Games April 9/10/11/12

Postby PeterParker » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:12 pm

Cavani would have been a beast in our squad.
Stupid we didn't try to sign him.
Last edited by PeterParker on Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Mase » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:13 pm

I’m not too worried about the rags. They’re more likely to lose against a team near the bottom than the top. Like Notts says, if we end up not winning the league we definitely didn’t deserve it.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:16 pm

branny wrote:
Harry Dowd scored wrote:Because of Pep’s brain fart we are now in a title race that should have been won, fucking ridiculous team selection of unfit rusty players with out of form useless uncaring shit has resulted in us being eight points in front with six to play, do those numbers resonate well they do with me, rags will not drop points, so we have to win, fucking fuming still

We still had them to play at home in 2012 though so not as bad.

Correct, but we have gone from winning the league at a canter, to looking over our shoulders, old saying, bird in the hand worth two in the bush springs to mind, we should have wrapped up the league before playing what was a experimental team, fucking outrageous use of subs and game management too.
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby PeterParker » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:24 pm

Harry Dowd scored wrote:
branny wrote:
Harry Dowd scored wrote:Because of Pep’s brain fart we are now in a title race that should have been won, fucking ridiculous team selection of unfit rusty players with out of form useless uncaring shit has resulted in us being eight points in front with six to play, do those numbers resonate well they do with me, rags will not drop points, so we have to win, fucking fuming still

Correct, but we have gone from winning the league at a canter, to looking over our shoulders, old saying, bird in the hand worth two in the bush springs to mind, we should have wrapped up the league before playing what was a experimental team, fucking outrageous use of subs and game management too.

Exactly, the issues is we should have finished them in the derby, but similar to 2018, we failed. If we would have won that game no one was worried now.

Look, we have a good advantage, but from Wednesday we are starting the last lap, a very nervy period of time for us with the potential to equal our best performance in UCL, a Cup semifinal, a cup final and 6 games, two versus teams that want to finish top 4 and two versus teams that are in the danger zone.
We need to build momentum, no more rotation, play the best we have and make small adjustments.

The biggest month in the past years is starting now.
Last edited by PeterParker on Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Outcast » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:25 pm

It's been a shit week to say the least
It's all hindsight the results didn't go our way. I don't think Peps selection was wrong, I will question our inability to turn matches around when we go a goal or two down, certain players didn't step up when called on, Jesus and Sterling specifically
If this is a blip, I'm glad it happened now as It hasn't cost us dear but it's a reminder Pep needs to find solutions when we concede first and plan B to turn games around otherwise we can forget the quad
Again I'm not worried about the rags, can't see them winning all their matches although it feels momentum is with them
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:26 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Harry Dowd scored wrote:
branny wrote:

Exactly, the issues is we should have finished them in the derby, but similar to 2018, we failed. If we would have won that game no one was worried now.

Look, we have a good advantage, but from Wednesday we are starting the last lap, a very nervy period of time of us with the potential to equal our best performance in UCL, a Cup semifinal, a cup final and 6 games, two versus teams that want to finish top 4 and two versus teams that are in the danger zone.
We need to build momentum, no more rotation, play the best we have and make small adjustments.

1000% this
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby zuricity » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:34 pm

Harry Dowd scored wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
Harry Dowd scored wrote:
branny wrote:

Look, we have a good advantage, but from Wednesday we are starting the last lap, a very nervy period of time of us with the potential to equal our best performance in UCL, a Cup semifinal, a cup final and 6 games, two versus teams that want to finish top 4 and two versus teams that are in the danger zone.

1000% this

Last time i looked we were eleven points clear of the Rags, even if they maximise their points the get 84. we need 10 more from six games may 18 points.

We are still in three cup comps and 2-.1 ahead going into the next game in the CL.

You three should go and have a cold shower and wake up . We are fighting on 4 fronts and need to rest some key players. Leeds were opportunists and did well.
Now we know , we cannot afford to start Razza against any team. He must be a bench warmer. Cancelo also needs a good talking to, to understand the very basics of defending. I am sure Father Rubin will have a word.

I am very confident about the second leg. More worried that the Chavski players are believing that they are something special. Still, we can get to another final next Saturday.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby PeterParker » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:50 pm

zuricity wrote:Last time i looked we were eleven points clear of the Rags, even if they maximise their points the get 84. we need 10 more from six games may 18 points.

We are still in three cup comps and 2-.1 ahead going into the next game in the CL.

You three should go and have a cold shower and wake up . We are fighting on 4 fronts and need to rest some key players. Leeds were opportunists and did well.
Now we know , we cannot afford to start Razza against any team. He must be a bench warmer. Cancelo also needs a good talking to, to understand the very basics of defending. I am sure Father Rubin will have a word.

I am very confident about the second leg. More worried that the Chavski players are believing that they are something special. Still, we can get to another final next Saturday.

We are fighting on 4 fronts and we still can win fuckall.
We need to be smart and play our best players.
Simple.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:53 pm

In isolation it is difficult to disagree with you, however, we have most certainly put ourselves in a more difficult position than was necessary, for me you have to assume those rags do not drop points, so if we slip up at Villa the pressure is definitely on when, as we should have done and got three points against Leeds the pressure would not have been as bad, it is one thing to rotate another to rip the heart out of a team, play players out of position, not make use of subs when it was clear to anybody with a pair of eyes the initial selection was little short of disaster, and if Mendy ever plays for City again it is a crime
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby branny » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:56 pm

Looking at our possible fixture schedule I think we can expect a few more line ups similar to yesterday. There is absolutely no way we can play our best 11 between now and the end of the season. Villa, Palace and Newcastle look most likely for rotation.

14/4 A Dortmund
17/4 Chelsea FA Cup
21/4 A Villa
25/4 Spurs LC
27/4 poss CL semi
1/5 A Palace
4/5 poss CL semi 2
8/5 H Chelsea
12/5 A Newcastle
15/5 A Brighton (FA Cup final)
19/5 A Brighton (if we get to the FA Cup final)
23/5 H Everton
29/5 poss CL final.
Last edited by branny on Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby zuricity » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:56 pm

PeterParker wrote:
zuricity wrote:Last time i looked we were eleven points clear of the Rags, even if they maximise their points the get 84. we need 10 more from six games may 18 points.

Simple.

give it a rest FFS , we are fighting on four fronts because , over the season so far, we have been the most successful at getting results.

Of course we can still win nothing. At the moment the league is not mathematically sewn up. Cup games - anything can happen. Why are you labouring an obvious point about winning nothing ? It's still a hell of a ride. It's April - almost mid April and we are fighting in four competitions- What's the problem ? we are not greedy, we just want City to try and do their best when it matters.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby PeterParker » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:29 pm

zuricity wrote:
PeterParker wrote:

Simple.

give it a rest FFS , we are fighting on four fronts because , over the season so far, we have been the most successful at getting results.

Of course we can still win nothing. At the moment the league is not mathematically sewn up. Cup games - anything can happen. Why are you labouring an obvious point about winning nothing ? It's still a hell of a ride. It's April - almost mid April and we are fighting in four competitions- What's the problem ? we are not greedy, we just want City to try and do their best when it matters.

Because you keep on going with the ”4 fronts” argument when it's not the case.
Ok, I get it, you like to go against the current. People say that, you say the other thing, People say Jesus is gash, you say he is decent and so on, have it your way, but for ffs, let's be fucking smart and understand what rotate means vs playing Zinchenko as a number 10. One is to rotate the team and other is to experiment so much your players have no idea what to do on the pitch.
FFS, there are people here that pointed stuff out about what is wrong with us and took Baldie one year to understand it, a period when we suffered because of that. One year.

Yeah, I am worried and any City fan should be because we have a manager that is well known for his mental fuckups, mood swings and so on. There is no one other at this level with his mistakes. We've put ourselves in a situation when we need to win and we need to play what we have best because at least 5 players are out of form at the moment and couldn't win an away game at Cheltenham.

So yeah, I am worried when we shoot ourselves in the foot.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:45 pm

zuricity wrote:
PeterParker wrote:

Simple.

Can’t you see where the guy is coming from, this is the guy that fucked up against Spurs and Lyon ffs, and yesterday was a shit show that cannot be rationality explained, anything is possible both good and bad so allow for the debate we have won fuck all yet so all options are on the table, after yesterday with the Mendy lump of shit, Sterling missing open goals, Jesus being fucking useless how can anything be rationally ruled out. QED
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby branny » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:49 pm

branny wrote:Looking at our possible fixture schedule I think we can expect a few more line ups similar to yesterday. There is absolutely no way we can play our best 11 between now and the end of the season. Villa, Palace and Newcastle look most likely for rotation.

14/4 A Dortmund
17/4 Chelsea FA Cup
21/4 A Villa
25/4 Spurs LC
27/4 poss CL semi
1/5 A Palace
4/5 poss CL semi 2
8/5 H Chelsea
12/5 A Newcastle
15/5 A Brighton (FA Cup final)
19/5 A Brighton (if we get to the FA Cup final)
23/5 H Everton
29/5 poss CL final.

Rags in comparison

15/4 H Granada
18/4 H Burnley
25/4 A Leeds
29/ 4 Europa semi
2/5 H Dippers
6/5 Europa semi 2
9/5 A. Villa
12/5 H Leicester
15/5 H Fulham
23/5 A Wolves
26/5 Europa final
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby sheblue » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:30 pm

Let's hope our involvement in the cups dont put us under pressure in the league.

Our next three games are Dortmund, Chavs in cup and Villa.
This trying to win 4 comps is pure bollocks.

Full strength teams for Dortmund and Villa.
Sorry but I want us to progress in the CL and win the league much much more than the cups.

But Pep will go for all 4 and that could well hurt us.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:48 pm

sheblue wrote:Let's hope our involvement in the cups dont put us under pressure in the league.

Our next three games are Dortmund, Chavs in cup and Villa.
This trying to win 4 comps is pure bollocks.

Full strength teams for Dortmund and Villa.
Sorry but I want us to progress in the CL and win the league much much more than the cups.

But Pep will go for all 4 and that could well hurt us.

Agree, and the all or nothing mantra is what I am concerned about
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Dimples » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:43 am

I do not understand why Pep is being criticized.
Context is everything.
The club are going for the quadruple.
We play 2 games a week.
That is why we have the strongest squad in the league.
Cancelo, Sterling, Jesus, Fern, Bernie, Mendy, etc... are not just squad lightweights, they are top drawer expensive international professionals.
So they are expected to step up. They had 29 shots and scored once. The blame is with them.

Say Pep played DeBruyne yesterday. Say he got injured. That would be stupid. Key player injured in a match we can afford to lose. Not available for a match we cannot afford to lose in Dortmund. So you rest him to avoid this. You play top class players instead and expect them not to miss 28 shots on goal.

Re Peps game management against Leeds. It was good enough to create 29 shooting opps. That is more than enough to win a game, provided the players do their job.

Context and the big picture show Pep was correct yesterday.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby nottsblue » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:32 am

Dimples wrote:I do not understand why Pep is being criticized.
Context is everything.
We play 2 games a week.
Cancelo, Sterling, Jesus, Fern, Bernie, Mendy, etc... are not just squad lightweights, they are top drawer expensive international professionals.
So they are expected to step up. They had 29 shots and scored once. The blame is with them.

Say Pep played DeBruyne yesterday. Say he got injured. That would be stupid. Key player injured in a match we can afford to lose. Not available for a match we cannot afford to lose in Dortmund. So you rest him to avoid this. You play top class players instead and expect them not to miss 28 shots on goal.

Re Peps game management against Leeds. It was good enough to create 29 shooting opps. That is more than enough to win a game, provided the players do their job.

I agree. Another day we win that game. We didn't and we move on
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby salford city » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:05 am

nottsblue wrote:
Context is everything.
We play 2 games a week.

I'm very much in this camp. It will be full strength this week and I expect that we will win both games. Everyone knows we face two knockout games, the pressure is there, but so are we. A big performance on Wednesday sets us up nicely for Chelsea. Everyone outside this club is looking on willing us to fall over, what a position to be in mid way rhtough april. Previous seasons we would already have the LC in our back pocket, this season its an extra game in an already busy schedule but we have been playing twice a week since September, so lets crack on. We could end this season wirh an unprecedented haul that would break the media's heart and propel us to greater heights. Onto Dortmund, right team and tactics and move on from there
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:44 am

salford city wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
Context is everything.
We play 2 games a week.

I'm very much in this camp. It will be full strength this week and I expect that we will win both games. Everyone knows we face two knockout games, the pressure is there, but so are we. A big performance on Wednesday sets us up nicely for Chelsea. Everyone outside this club is looking on willing us to fall over, what a position to be in mid way rhtough april. Previous seasons we would already have the LC in our back pocket, this season its an extra game in an already busy schedule but we have been playing twice a week since September, so lets crack on. We could end this season wirh an unprecedented haul that would break the media's heart and propel us to greater heights. Onto Dortmund, right team and tactics and move on from there

This is the week I think we have to get through. I just hope the Leeds defeat is a one off, Control Haaland, score game over. Do Chelsea. Biggest week of the season with no forwards in form or fit ! The false 9 it is.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum