mendy

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: mendy

Postby john68 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:21 am

nottsblue wrote:
sheblue wrote:Do we still have to pay how now? seeing as he's in the shit with the law?

He has to be in breach of his contract surely? He isn’t available for selection through breaking the law. There can’t be many more clearer reasons for gross misconduct and thus withholding his salary. There could even be a case for termination of contract but that means we cannot receive a fee for him, but that could easily be a moot point as can anyone see us selling him in the event he is found not guilty?

At least we save on his wages from here on in[/quote

whatever you may th9ink of him as a player or a liability to our club, he remains innocent until the evidence is heard and a judgement made of his guilt or otherwise.
Until that process has ended, he remains innocent (whether we like it or not) and City have to treat him as such.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Scatman » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:49 am

I hope if I ever get wrongly accused of anything, my employer continues to pay me as they are contractually obliged to do.
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:31 am

Why did Manchester City let Benjamin Mendy play on?

By Daniel Taylor 3h ago

The last time we saw Benjamin Mendy on a football pitch he was waving to Manchester City’s supporters after a 1-0 defeat at Tottenham Hotspur. Mendy had not played well but, on a personal level, it was still a success of sorts. A new season was underway and Mendy was a surprise selection in Pep Guardiola’s back four, playing for the Premier League champions.

What the vast majority of people would not have known at the time was that the player wearing City’s No 22 shirt was under police investigation for allegedly raping a woman at his house. The crowd that day would not have realised Mendy had been arrested the previous November. But the people in charge at City knew — and, as we now know, decided against suspending their player.
All of which probably warrants some kind of explanation once the trial is done. And it will be intriguing to hear City’s version of events bearing in mind an employer, in virtually every other walk of life, would ordinarily be expected to suspend a member of staff who is being investigated as an alleged rapist.

Instead, Mendy continued to play for City over a nine-month period in which he made 18 appearances. He scored a couple of goals. He was championed by the club’s website. He collected his Premier League winner’s medal and played in the Community Shield against Leicester City at Wembley last month. “See you guys in the PL,” he told his 1.4 million followers on Twitter.

He was charged last Thursday with four counts of rape, having allegedly committed the latest offence earlier in the week, and a separate offence of sexual assault from January this year. The charges relate to three women. Mendy, who denies all the allegations, was remanded in custody and City announced they were suspending him, pending an investigation. Not that he could have played for them anyway, at that point.
Prior to that, City had decided Mendy should be allowed to continue playing, in part because the Crown Prosecution Service had not issued charges. And nobody really took issue with that decision, or challenged City about it, because the truth is nobody outside the club really knew Mendy was even the subject of a police investigation.

The first most of us knew about it came via a statement from Cheshire police on Thursday to announce he was due in court the following day. Until that point, it had been kept quiet and, as such, City have been spared any real scrutiny from the media, the club’s supporters or anybody else.

But it is certainly surprising that any organisation of that size (with a women’s football club operating under the same umbrella) thought it was the correct choice, bearing in mind the seriousness of the alleged offence.

A comparison can also be made with Everton’s decision in July to suspend a player who had been arrested, though not charged, because of an ongoing police investigation into child sex offences.

Everton decided the allegations were so serious they had to act, in the same way that you would probably expect your own workplace to do exactly the same. It just turns out that City, for the best part of a year, took a different view when it came to rape allegations involving the player they signed for £52 million from Monaco in 2017. And this is the part that is hard to understand or justify.

In making their decision, City referred to the standardised players’ contracts — agreed between the Professional Footballers’ Association, the Premier League and English Football League — and, specifically, the Disciplinary Procedure and Penalties section. The rules stipulate that clubs can suspend a player for 14 days while an investigation is taking place. But there is also provision for that suspension to be extended, if the player agrees. City, in short, could have suspended Mendy but decided against it.

Maybe it would have been different if the police investigation was public knowledge because, without wanting to sound too cynical, it is tempting to think City might have thought very differently if there was the risk of a public backlash. Everton, for example, had to deal with a case that had attracted a lot of media attention. You can imagine the outcry if the player in question, who cannot be named for legal reasons, had continued to turn out for the club.

Or maybe we should be accustomed by now to football clubs behaving in a different way to other multi-million-pound businesses when serious allegations of criminality are made against their employees.

When Ched Evans was convicted of rape in April 2012 and sentenced to five years’ imprisonment, the trial came at the end of a season in which he scored 35 times for Sheffield United and helped them reach the League One play-offs. A week after his conviction, Evans was named in the PFA’s League One team of the year.

His club were widely criticised for not suspending him and, though they would almost certainly deny this, it was difficult not to suspect they took that stance, in part, because he was such a valuable player. Evans, who always denied the allegation, took the case to the Court of Appeal, which quashed his conviction, and was cleared at a 2016 retrial.

Perhaps you might also recall that Lee Hughes was never suspended by West Bromwich Albion after causing the car crash in 2003 that had killed a 56-year-old motorist and then fleeing the scene. Hughes played another 17 games that season, scoring six times, to help his club win promotion before heading off for his trial and, ultimately, a six-year prison sentence.

In Mendy’s case, it would be wrong to think City did not consider all the options open to them. The club, as a whole, are extremely conscious of their PR image and the decision was taken at a high level within the club. The bottom line, however, is that decision was very different to what might reasonably have been expected outside the football bubble.

It is also part of a pattern that probably tells us a lot about how football, as an industry, tends to blur its priorities sometimes.

Leeds United, for example, decided against suspending Jonathan Woodgate and Lee Bowyer after they were arrested in connection with the street attack, in 2000, that left an Asian student beaten with such a level of violence that the people who found him thought he was dead.

“I had no right to deprive two employees of their ability to perform their duties,” Peter Ridsdale, then the Leeds chairman, explains in his autobiography.

Ridsdale received hundreds of letters to criticise that stance and recalls meeting the victim’s solicitor, Imran Khan, as well as representatives of the anti-racism group Kick It Out and the National Civil Rights Movement. Neville Lawrence, the father of murdered teenager Stephen, was also there.

“The normal thing for a blue-chip company such as yours would be to suspend your employees on full pay,” Ridsdale was told. “Mr Ridsdale, these are very serious matters — you must suspend them.”

Bowyer was acquitted at the subsequent trial, though later made an out-of-court settlement to the victim. Woodgate was convicted of affray but found not guilty of the more serious charge of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

It is a difficult, complex subject because Ridsdale will not be alone in presenting a case that “the British justice system is built on sturdy foundations that insist a person is innocent until proven guilty before a judge, jury or magistrate”.

Sometimes, though, is there not an undeniable case that the allegations are so serious the clubs surely have to take some kind of action? Allegations of rape, for example.

This is clearly something that football, as a whole, tends to struggle with. Sunderland, for example, suspended Adam Johnson in 2015 when he was arrested on suspicion of sexual activity with a girl of 15, then lifted that suspension two weeks later.

Amazingly, Johnson was still allowed to carry on playing for Sunderland even after the club’s chief executive, Margaret Byrne, was shown transcripts of the police interviews in which Johnson admitted kissing the girl on the lips, grooming her for more and knowing she was below the age of legal consent.

Johnson was sentenced to six years in prison and the details emerged in court of Byrne being given full access to the 834 WhatsApp messages, many of a sexual nature, that he exchanged with the girl. Byrne admitted “a serious error of judgment” and resigned, facing accusations Sunderland were more concerned about Premier League points than any sense of moral duty. But she also took a payoff in the region of £750,000, in exchange for signing a confidentiality agreement.

Don’t forget either — as mind-boggling as it is — that when Bradford City signed Gavin Grant in 2010 they knew he had a trial coming up for a gangland execution on the Stonebridge estate, where he grew up in north-west London. Grant played with an electronic tag under his sock before a murder trial ended with him being sentenced to a minimum 25 years behind bars. Bradford’s official website, welcoming the new signing, explained that Grant had missed the last year because of “personal reasons”. Wycombe Wanderers, his previous club, helped Grant try to get bail when he was charged. Three years earlier, Millwall had continued to select Grant while he was on bail after being charged in connection to another gangland killing (Grant was found not guilty).

And Manchester City? Maybe they will retreat, as they often do, behind the default setting that the media is too quick to criticise them. Or maybe they will understand this is an important subject that needs to be addressed. Not yet, perhaps, when there are legal restrictions about what can and cannot be said to ensure a fair trial. But when that trial is over, and the verdict is in, it doesn’t feel like too much to ask why, in football, it is apparently OK for the champions of England to include a player who is being investigated by police on suspicion of sex attacks.

Daniel Taylor is a senior writer for The Athletic and has been named Football Journalist of the Year for the last four years. He was previously the chief football writer for The Guardian and The Observer and spent nearly 20 years working for the two titles. Daniel has written five books on the sport. Follow Daniel on Twitter @DTathletic.
Editor’s Note: Comments on this story are disabled. Please visit the Code of Conduct page for additional information. If you wish to contact the editor, send a note to editor@theathletic.com.
l
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Mase » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:14 am

He hadn’t been charged at that point, so why would City not play him? The “if this was a normal person they’d have been sacked” is bollocks. A good friend went through falsely being accused of rape a couple of years ago and he was still employed by his employer until the outcome (thankfully all charges dropped once the girl admitted to lying in this case).

The question should be, why are City playing him when he’s shit?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:35 am

Mase wrote:He hadn’t been charged at that point, so why would City not play him? The “if this was a normal person they’d have been sacked” is bollocks. A good friend went through falsely being accused of rape a couple of years ago and he was still employed by his employer until the outcome (thankfully all charges dropped once the girl admitted to lying in this case).

Your first point seems to have escaped the laser intellect of danny boy - who is more interested in associating City with every footballing criminal he can dredge up.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby salford city » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:40 am

Mase wrote:He hadn’t been charged at that point, so why would City not play him? The “if this was a normal person they’d have been sacked” is bollocks. A good friend went through falsely being accused of rape a couple of years ago and he was still employed by his employer until the outcome (thankfully all charges dropped once the girl admitted to lying in this case).

Innocent until proven guilty is the law of our country. He hasnt got a leg to stand on when being accused of being shit....!!! Allegedly, only 2 of the 4 he took home from China White agreed to sleep with him so what were the the other 2 doing there? Not defending what he has done, these players think they are above the law and / or can hush it up with money. Bloke is a fucking nuisance and him being remanded does not bode well for his trial
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Dubciteh » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:03 am

Im shocked we continued to play him. Mainly cos hes shit but what frame of mind can someone be in when this is hanging over them?
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID

Postby BlueinBosnia » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:18 am

Anyone else pick up that he answered the charges through an interpreter. Okay, it's a serious crime, and he doesn't want to risk a misunderstanding, but it heavily implies that his social media antics in the early days after we signed him had input/vetting from other people. A bit like when Kyle Walker's spelling and grammar magically improved overnight.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:19 pm

Innocent until proven guilty and all that, but I genuinely hope he never plays for our club again, pound for pound he must be the worst signing in the history of the club, and there is much competition for that unwanted prize.
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:29 pm

Daniel Taylor, I have hear rumours you are a paedophile. By your own logic you should be suspended now.

See how ridiculous it is?

I am stating the massively fucking obvious here, but here we go anyway, on the off chance moron features named above reads this. We have had a legal system for hundreds of years for extremely good reasons. It should protect the innocent and punish the guilty. The media have no part to play that system and must never be allowed one because they are corrupt in the extreme. So shut the fuck up, you fucking twat, and allow the bloke to have a fair trial, for the alleged victims' sake, for his sake and for society's sake.

It never fails to amaze me what fucking arseholes these people are and how they think their opinion is sooooooo fucking important when it simply isn't.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:30 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:Anyone else pick up that he answered the charges through an interpreter. Okay, it's a serious crime, and he doesn't want to risk a misunderstanding.

i don't blame him in the slightest.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby nottsblue » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:42 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:Daniel Taylor, I have hear rumours you are a paedophile. By your own logic you should be suspended now.

I am stating the massively fucking obvious here, but here we go anyway, on the off chance moron features named above reads this. We have had a legal system for hundreds of years for extremely good reasons. It should protect the innocent and punish the guilty. The media have no part to play that system and must never be allowed one because they are corrupt in the extreme. So shut the fuck up, you fucking twat, and allow the bloke to have a fair trial, for the alleged victims' sake, for his sake and for society's sake.

It never fails to amaze me what fucking arseholes these people are and how they think their opinion is sooooooo fucking important when it simply isn't.

Could not agree more.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mase » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:59 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:Daniel Taylor, I have hear rumours you are a paedophile. By your own logic you should be suspended now.

I’ll be surprised if his story isn’t removed once Mendy’s lawyers see it.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby BlueinBosnia » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:07 pm

johnny crossan wrote:In making their decision, City referred to the standardised players’ contracts — agreed between the Professional Footballers’ Association, the Premier League and English Football League — and, specifically, the Disciplinary Procedure and Penalties section. The rules stipulate that clubs can suspend a player for 14 days while an investigation is taking place. But there is also provision for that suspension to be extended, if the player agrees. City, in short, could have suspended Mendy but decided against it.

[...]

This is clearly something that football, as a whole, tends to struggle with. Sunderland, for example, suspended Adam Johnson in 2015 when he was arrested on suspicion of sexual activity with a girl of 15, then lifted that suspension two weeks later.

Amazingly, Johnson was still allowed to carry on playing for Sunderland [...]

So, if I understand what he wrote correctly, he's saying a club can suspend a player for 2 weeks, and after that they can only suspend them with the player's consent? And yet a few paragraphs later, he's criticizing Sunderland for doing just that?
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:43 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:In making their decision, City referred to the standardised players’ contracts — agreed between the Professional Footballers’ Association, the Premier League and English Football League — and, specifically, the Disciplinary Procedure and Penalties section. The rules stipulate that clubs can suspend a player for 14 days while an investigation is taking place. But there is also provision for that suspension to be extended, if the player agrees. City, in short, could have suspended Mendy but decided against it.

[...]

Amazingly, Johnson was still allowed to carry on playing for Sunderland [...]

So, if I understand what he wrote correctly, he's saying a club can suspend a player for 2 weeks, and after that they can only suspend them with the player's consent? And yet a few paragraphs later, he's criticizing Sunderland for doing just that?
he's a pitiful poltroon - just generating anti-City clickbait for The Athletic's arab-hating US owners, sad to see the seedy decline of these journos.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:40 pm

My wife used to be HR Director for NHS Western trust, I asked her about this, she said due to the serious nature of the charges, and being remanded, the club can suspend him indefinitely, however, this would be on full pay.
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mase » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:49 pm

Harry Dowd scored wrote:My wife used to be HR Director for NHS Western trust, I asked her about this, she said due to the serious nature of the charges, and being remanded, the club can suspend him indefinitely, however, this would be on full pay.

Correct. So when my mate was accused, his work place told him he’d continue to be employed and be required to come in to work. However, if any other employees said they felt uncomfortable with him being in work and they put something formal in, then he wouldn’t have to come in to work but would be at home on full pay.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Woodyblue » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:34 pm

Surely we have some form of insurance policy in this instance. No matter how shit he is he is a saleable asset who, through no fault of ours has made himself
Unsellable
Woodyblue
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

My favourite player is: Mario Ballotelli

Postby CTID Hants » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:59 pm

Woodyblue wrote:Surely we have some form of insurance policy in this instance. No matter how shit he is he is a saleable asset who, through no fault of ours has made himself
Unsellable

Surely we'd sue him for loss of earnings like chelski did to Mutu when he got banned for cocaine? That said I think he still owes them millions?

Let's hope we have been paying our premiums
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby PeterParker » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:20 am

CTID Hants wrote:
Woodyblue wrote:Surely we have some form of insurance policy in this instance. No matter how shit he is he is a saleable asset who, through no fault of ours has made himself
Unsellable

Surely we'd sue him for loss of earnings like chelski did to Mutu when he got banned for cocaine? That said I think he still owes them millions?

Let's hope we have been paying our premiums

Mutu owes them 20 milion and it happened when, 16-17 years ago? And he still never paid a cent and most likely will not.
That story seems like it went over the radar, pops from time to time into the romanian media that it had another court day trial or so, but nothing clear.

I think they settled at some point without telling anyone. I always felt that Juventus paid Chelsea something when they got him next to cover the fine.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum