Bring One Player

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Bring One Player

Postby CTID Hants » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:33 pm

Scatman wrote:
Mase wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:Definitely the 23-year-old Anelka we bought in 2002. He was amazing.

Crazy to think he spent his best years playing for our shit side back then, Bolton and Fenerbahce. His brother and agent was a bigger wally than Kane's is. Actually, maybe not. He got to line his pockets while Nico was carted between teams well beneath his level.

That’s mental - I didn’t realise he was that young when we signed him. He’d been around forever before coming to us. He had a good stint at Chelsea as well after us.

I'd completely forgotten about Nico. Why on earth did he ever sign for us? Was there really nobody else who would have him?

Before us he had a reputation for getting under the skin of managers regardless of how well he did on the pitch, Fernabache move iirc was to do with him finding Islam (again?) and wanting to play in a Muslim country.

I think ADVT, both his brothers managed/rinsed him together.

Great player loved watching him play for us too
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:58 pm

Harry Dowd scored wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:lee bradbrury

I raise you, Danny Granville.

I'll see your Danny Granville and raise you Jamie Pollock :lol:

Have to ask if he tracks back like Darius Martin Clarke Vassell?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby edge275 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:16 am

Mase wrote:
Scatman wrote:
Mase wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:Definitely the 23-year-old Anelka we bought in 2002. He was amazing.

Crazy to think he spent his best years playing for our shit side back then, Bolton and Fenerbahce. His brother and agent was a bigger wally than Kane's is. Actually, maybe not. He got to line his pockets while Nico was carted between teams well beneath his level.

That’s mental - I didn’t realise he was that young when we signed him. He’d been around forever before coming to us. He had a good stint at Chelsea as well after us.

I'd completely forgotten about Nico. Why on earth did he ever sign for us? Was there really nobody else who would have him?

Keegan. Most of the decent players we got signed for us because of Keegan. Liverpool had just had Anelka on loan and instead of signing him perm, they made the mistake of going for Diouf. Which meant Keegan could talk Anelka in to joining us.

From what I have seen and read about Keegan, I've always thought he'd make a pretty good director of football. He was quite the salesman and very likable. You can see why good players wanted to sign for him. If I recall correctly, he showed Anelka the medals he won as a player, told him that he could have medals like these with what we're building and that we were reaching for the stars by signing other great players so we can really compete at the top. It didn't quite work out that way, but he did manage to convince quite a few top names at the time to come play for us.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:55 pm

edge275 wrote:
Mase wrote:
Scatman wrote:
Mase wrote:

Keegan. Most of the decent players we got signed for us because of Keegan. Liverpool had just had Anelka on loan and instead of signing him perm, they made the mistake of going for Diouf. Which meant Keegan could talk Anelka in to joining us.

From what I have seen and read about Keegan, I've always thought he'd make a pretty good director of football. He was quite the salesman and very likable. You can see why good players wanted to sign for him. If I recall correctly, he showed Anelka the medals he won as a player, told him that he could have medals like these with what we're building and that we were reaching for the stars by signing other great players so we can really compete at the top. It didn't quite work out that way, but he did manage to convince quite a few top names at the time to come play for us.

Agreed re Keegan's abilites, but it did nearly bankrupt us.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby mr_nool » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:58 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
edge275 wrote:

Perhaps scout rather than Dof?
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:59 pm

mr_nool wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:
edge275 wrote:

Aye.

Good to have young edge275 back, by the way.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby mr_nool » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:12 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:
edge275 wrote:

Aye.

Good to have young edge275 back, by the way.

Bloody hell, I didn't even notice! Welcome back madarse! You've been missed.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum