chumps league

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: chumps league

Postby Wooders » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:13 pm

Add to the fact that in reality, Chelsea were also absolute wank that night despite their win, it’s even more frustrating to hear him say he didn’t think we failed - cock, arrogant cock
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Dameerto » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:41 pm

Tru_Blu wrote:"Pep Guardiola says Manchester City are not Champions League failures despite last season's final defeat"

Its this attitude the reason why I cant even listen or look at the man. His arrogance has cost City and he just don't give a rats ass.

Getting to the CL final for the first time in City's history is a failure? I would claim getting bumped down to the Europa League (or failing to qualify for the CL through league finishing position) is a failure.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby nottsblue » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:52 pm

Dameerto wrote:
Tru_Blu wrote:"Pep Guardiola says Manchester City are not Champions League failures despite last season's final defeat"

Its this attitude the reason why I cant even listen or look at the man. His arrogance has cost City and he just don't give a rats ass.

Getting to the CL final for the first time in City's history is a failure? I would claim getting bumped down to the Europa League (or failing to qualify for the CL through league finishing position) is a failure.

Indeed

If we had a crystal ball that showed we got beat in the final again this season would it be classed as a failure?

I wouldn't think so
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby PeterParker » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:45 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

Indeed

If we had a crystal ball that showed we got beat in the final again this season would it be classed as a failure?

I wouldn't think so

I think it comes back on how we lost and how we sabotated ourselves, to be fair.
I would have taken playing a final at any time and day, but losing like that, meh, not my cup of tea.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby PaulieIrish » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:00 pm

Brahim Dias scores against the dippers!!!
PaulieIrish
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby nottsblue » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:44 pm

PSG only drawing at Bruges
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:37 pm

Is it time to get over things?

We lost in Our previous attempts in the CL but managed to get to the final, something we do regularly in other tournaments. We did well but we’re beaten by a sucker punch from a very defensive team, a team that reminded me more of Stoke rather than a great footballing team.

We move on and see how it goes, and against teams that may do the same. Let’s see how the manager and team get on.a
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby aaron bond » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:52 am

Beefymcfc wrote:Is it time to get over things?

We lost in Our previous attempts in the CL but managed to get to the final, something we do regularly in other tournaments. We did well but we’re beaten by a sucker punch from a very defensive team, a team that reminded me more of Stoke rather than a great footballing team.

We move on and see how it goes, and against teams that may do the same. Let’s see how the manager and team get on.a

I'll be honest usually I'd be over it by now, but there was just absolutely no excuse for what Pep did in the final. Especially as we were up against a weak Chelsea side who only scraped into the top 4 because Leicester conceded 2 goals in injury time on the last day of the season. I appreciate finals are tough games but our normal side would have won that comfortably.

The reality is that Pep costs us every year in the CL. Last year it happened to be in the final. In previous years it was in the earlier rounds.

I was generally quite indifferent to the CL, but that changed in the past few years and it really felt that we were capable of winning it. But Pep showed in the final that he just can't do it.

He's still a great manager and our league seasons and domestic cup runs are always enjoyable. But now I find it difficult to be interested in the CL.

I obviously hope that changes and will back the team all the way. But the reality is deep down we all know we'll be knocked out of the CL along the way due to a Pep screw-up...
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby PeterParker » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:13 am

Speaking for myself, I think I will never will.
If Chelsea had won it by being superior I would accept it and move on. But they didn't.
That night in Porto will stay forever with me.

I don't think the german rags ever got over after Nou Camp 99 when they lost to the local rags after missing 25 chances.

Some things in football will stay forever with you, either they are good or bad.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:15 am

aaron bond wrote:

I'll be honest usually I'd be over it by now, but there was just absolutely no excuse for what Pep did in the final. Especially as we were up against a weak Chelsea side who only scraped into the top 4 because Leicester conceded 2 goals in injury time on the last day of the season. I appreciate finals are tough games but our normal side would have won that comfortably.

The reality is that Pep costs us every year in the CL. Last year it happened to be in the final. In previous years it was in the earlier rounds.

I was generally quite indifferent to the CL, but that changed in the past few years and it really felt that we were capable of winning it. But Pep showed in the final that he just can't do it.

He's still a great manager and our league seasons and domestic cup runs are always enjoyable. But now I find it difficult to be interested in the CL.

I obviously hope that changes and will back the team all the way. But the reality is deep down we all know we'll be knocked out of the CL along the way due to a Pep screw-up...

I’m not sure if the score would’ve changed with the likes of Rodri in and Sterling out but I do think it would’ve given us a better opportunity to win the game. I mentioned in the match thread that Pep must’ve thought that we didn’t need a specific DM as they’d just play around it and that Sterling was only in to occupy their defence by pulling 2 or 3 out of position to open the space. Let’s face it, Sterling hasn’t been pulling up trees at that point.

Your right, he is a great manager but always prone to a brain fart now and then and, whichever game it is in, it will always lead to an adverse result which will see us either drop points or knocked out of a competition.

Sometimes this is where you need that focussed manager who sticks with what they know works. Pep ain’t like that so we just have to hope that the team he picks, especially when there is a change of tactics/personnel, clicks during the game. And, as always, we get a pinch of luck.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Plain Speaking » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:32 am

aaron bond wrote:

For me Pep was overly concerned about the ref, Lahoz, who had blatantly screwed us over previously. Pep probably thought his appointment was controversial and believed we were likely to get our DM receiving 2 yellows, no VAR review, just reduced to 10 men, and mountain to climb.

As it happened Lahoz didn't have to do anything because we handicapped ourselves, playing a system without a DM, but I believe that was the reason he did it.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:42 am

Lots of “soft fans” still devastated over the CL loss .
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby patrickblue » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:17 pm

I'm another one who I don't think will ever get over it. Like others have said, if we were beaten by a better team, then that would just have been disappointing, but what actually happened was unforgivable.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:59 pm

patrickblue wrote:

I'm another one who I don't think will ever get over it. Like others have said, if we were beaten by a better team, then that would just have been disappointing, but what actually happened was unforgivable.

Before the game I was all cheery with the expectation that we would wash them aside. Then, as the game got underway those fears resurfaced from the losses to them in the last 2 games. That’s when expectations changed and the moment I knew we were in for a real fight.

Following the game I decided ‘fuck it’, let’s get pissed and due to the bastard hangover the next day, the disappointment didn’t seem so bad.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:03 pm

patrickblue wrote:

I’m afraid you will have to join the millions of us who are in the “soft” fan category.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:04 pm

I'm still raging after the CL and FA cup losses. I truly believe that had Pep just gone with the same team that was working with minimum brainfartage we'd have won the quad. Unlikely to ever get as good a chance as we had. And that is what kills me.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby sheblue » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:31 pm

london blue 2 wrote:I'm still raging after the CL and FA cup losses. I truly believe that had Pep just gone with the same team that was working with minimum brainfartage we'd have won the quad. Unlikely to ever get as good a chance as we had. And that is what kills me.

That was the worst part, it was a fantastic opportunity, one which may not come again for a while.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby aaron bond » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:36 pm

sheblue wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:I'm still raging after the CL and FA cup losses. I truly believe that had Pep just gone with the same team that was working with minimum brainfartage we'd have won the quad. Unlikely to ever get as good a chance as we had. And that is what kills me.

That was the worst part, it was a fantastic opportunity, one which may not come again for a while.

I know some people might think we sound ungrateful for ‘only’ winning 2 trophies last season.

But the reality is we were so much better than everyone else. In England, we were untouchable. In Europe, we beat everyone and faced an English side in the final who were significantly inferior to us.

We would have won the FA Cup and CL if Pep had just played the same side we had played for the last few months of the season. He shat himself against Chelsea in both the FA Cup Semi Final and the CL Final which cost us.

He also shat himself against Chelsea in the league…
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:11 pm

aaron bond wrote:
sheblue wrote:

I know some people might think we sound ungrateful for ‘only’ winning 2 trophies last season.

But the reality is we were so much better than everyone else. In England, we were untouchable. In Europe, we beat everyone and faced an English side in the final who were significantly inferior to us.

We would have won the FA Cup and CL if Pep had just played the same side we had played for the last few months of the season. He shat himself against Chelsea in both the FA Cup Semi Final and the CL Final which cost us.

He also shat himself against Chelsea in the league…

I’d have begrudgingly accepted it had we lost the fa cup and won the CL final.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Indianablue » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:52 pm

Cant believe some of the posts regarding Pep. Each to his own i suppose and we certainly didnt play well in the final last year. Chelsea played to the best of their abilities, rode their luck and injured our best player. We had the players but just didnt turn up. A failure on the night but getting to a final is progress. Sure he can be a bit arrogant, but he is a proven manager, one of the greatest in modern times. We are fortunate to have him and will miss him when hes gone. Course some on here might welcome that. What the fuck is it with our fan base
Indianablue
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Francis Lee

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum