City v Southampton- Official Match Thread

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: City v Southampton- Official Match Thread

Postby Mase » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:38 am

nottsblue wrote:
Mase wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Mase wrote:What’s mad is that Sterling was dog shit yet again, but we could be sat here talking about him scoring a 90th minute winner had the rules been applied properly. Mental.

EDIT - I’ve just seen that Sterling didn’t actually touch it! It was Foden :lol: Goal should have stood. Which begs the question, why did Sterling run off celebrating like he’d scored it?!!

When they were looking at it and showed the pics it looked like the lines were in the wrong place and was waiting for them to be moved. Nothing came so I thought the answer would be a goal. The fact that they took over 3 minutes to rule it out says it all because that meant they had to be looking for minutest of issues not to give it.

And, with regard to who touched the ball, it did look like Phil as he was the one who ran off really celebrating it whereas Sterling hard that celebration of ‘We’ve scored a goal’ rather than ‘I scored …’. Either way, if they are now giving the befit of doubt and showing the converging wider line then they failed in every aspect.

When Collymore is saying “I think this should be given” and it isn’t, you know there’s something wrong.

Regardless of who put the ball in the net, the ball was last played by a Southampton man, the goalie, so unless the offside law has been changed offside doesn’t come into it.

The exact same scenario which happened to Arsenal last week, where the goal was given and the broadcasters went out of their way to explain this

I think if we’d played well I’d be outraged by that goal being ruled out. But because we were so shit it’s easier to take.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby nottsblue » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:45 am

Mase wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
Mase wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Mase wrote:What’s mad is that Sterling was dog shit yet again, but we could be sat here talking about him scoring a 90th minute winner had the rules been applied properly. Mental.

EDIT - I’ve just seen that Sterling didn’t actually touch it! It was Foden :lol: Goal should have stood. Which begs the question, why did Sterling run off celebrating like he’d scored it?!!

When they were looking at it and showed the pics it looked like the lines were in the wrong place and was waiting for them to be moved. Nothing came so I thought the answer would be a goal. The fact that they took over 3 minutes to rule it out says it all because that meant they had to be looking for minutest of issues not to give it.

And, with regard to who touched the ball, it did look like Phil as he was the one who ran off really celebrating it whereas Sterling hard that celebration of ‘We’ve scored a goal’ rather than ‘I scored …’. Either way, if they are now giving the befit of doubt and showing the converging wider line then they failed in every aspect.

When Collymore is saying “I think this should be given” and it isn’t, you know there’s something wrong.

Regardless of who put the ball in the net, the ball was last played by a Southampton man, the goalie, so unless the offside law has been changed offside doesn’t come into it.

The exact same scenario which happened to Arsenal last week, where the goal was given and the broadcasters went out of their way to explain this

I think if we’d played well I’d be outraged by that goal being ruled out. But because we were so shit it’s easier to take.

To be fair as well, though the red card was incorrectly given and thus rightfully overturned, the penalty award could easily have been upheld. If that was the other way round I’d be disappointed not to be given it.

Play like next week at Chelsea and we won’t get anything other than a schooling
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mase » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:56 am

nottsblue wrote:To be fair as well, though the red card was incorrectly given and thus rightfully overturned, the penalty award could easily have been upheld. If that was the other way round I’d be disappointed not to be given it.

I think that’s what made it easier to accept, the fact Moss could have easily given that penalty but didn’t.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:12 pm

Mase wrote:
nottsblue wrote:To be fair as well, though the red card was incorrectly given and thus rightfully overturned, the penalty award could easily have been upheld. If that was the other way round I’d be disappointed not to be given it.

I think that’s what made it easier to accept, the fact Moss could have easily given that penalty but didn’t.

I turned off the match with a few minutes remaining so I’m glad I never saw it .

We were wank but could have won that match if Foden had started instead of that inept little cunt sterling .

Seriously , it’s just inept management playing him for 90 mins - just no justification whatsoever for keeping the cunt in the pitch that long .

I’m still seething
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:23 pm

Only just got back from weekend at daughters house so not seen our game, just wonder why he made changes from the 5- 0 teams, and wtf was Sterling doing playing the fill 90 minutes?
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Hazy2 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:47 pm

Seeing it back, Dias got turned like a novice before the drama.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby salford city » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:54 pm

Hazy2 wrote:Seeing it back, Dias got turned like a novice before the drama.

The sooner either Sones or Laporte get back, the better. Ake was terrified on the ball yesterday. Almost every time he had it, he went back to Ed.
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:18 pm

The Athletic's take from Mr Lee

‘Emptyhad’ digs wear thin – but Guardiola isn’t right all the time. Nobody should be vilified for pointing that out

By Sam Lee Sept 19, 2021 213
Whether it is a glorious 5-0 victory where they pull teams apart or even a defeat where things do not quite click, Manchester City are so well drilled and prepared you nearly always know exactly what to expect from them.
And then they drop the kind of performance that can befall all the mortal teams, where passes go astray, touches go awry and, at the end of it, nothing really works at all.

It’s a good job the Etihad Stadium was at full capacity otherwise Southampton might have won…

See, it’s quite easy to drift away from the topic at hand and make a sarcastic comment about what’s really on your mind.

That’s been Pep Guardiola’s go-to method for getting something off his chest in recent years and that’s surely what he did in midweek when he brought up City’s attendances.

He claimed that not to be the case on Friday — “interpretation is interpretation,” he said — and he did talk glowingly about the club and its fanbase, although it’s hard to get away from the idea that he did have a little dig at the supporters in the first place and then doubled down on it. That then invited criticism from one of the many fans who took exception to his initial comments.

Perhaps predictably, over the past few days, the media has got the blame for the whole mess, which is primarily between the Manchester City manager and the head of the Manchester City Official Supporters Club.

But there’s a legitimate conversation to be had about what Guardiola said, because whether he meant it as a dig or whether he didn’t, the spotlight has been on City’s attendances, and that provides space to highlight how the Etihad is regularly full.

Since the south stand was expanded in 2015, taking the total capacity to 55,097, there have never been fewer than 50,000 fans at a Premier League match. The lowest average attendance over the past five seasons (with fans in the stadium) is 53,812, and in terms of a percentage of capacity, that’s 97.7 per cent.

So the old “Emptyhad” tropes are more than a little thin but complaining about those means some of the more relevant issues, that actually affect City fans, are lost in the noise.

After all, the debate allows City fans, whether they felt slighted by their manager’s words or not, to complain about the customer service they have had to put up with for weeks now, with hold times of more than five hours a regularity.

Manchester City fans watch on as their side struggled to break down Southampton on Saturday (Photo: Getty Images)
There was ill will over the move to digital ticketing in pre-season, which was nowhere near as much of a disaster as feared, but those feelings have lingered among the match-going fanbase, particularly after the club tried to back out of including cup games in a ticket swap scheme — which was ‘announced’ via a pithy reply to a fan on Twitter — only to backtrack. Other fans have had issues with payments not being taken for matches.

All of these are factors in why some fans didn’t go to the RB Leipzig game in midweek. And let’s face it, your average UK citizen is hardly flush with cash at the moment. While the government couldn’t get hold of £35 billion in taxes last year, they are ready to hike national insurance contributions. Energy prices are set to rise, food costs are always going up and few people will have received a pay rise in the last year, so sometimes things can’t be afforded. If there’s a Champions League group game against a good but not especially enticing European team then that will probably get cut.

Imagine what the attendance will be against Wycombe Wanderers in the Carabao Cup on Tuesday night, and then imagine why a lot of fans won’t be going. It’s fair enough isn’t it?

Maybe all this doesn’t need to be directed at Guardiola, because maybe he knows this already. He did stress on Friday that he’s never told fans to turn up to matches. On Saturday he claimed again, “I didn’t say anything wrong after Leipzig, I said the game would be incredibly tough, I never complained about how many come or don’t come, I have never done this in my life. Of course I am grateful even if 85, 100 people come, I would be happy.”

That’s not true, however. “I would like more people to come to the next game on Saturday,” he said on Wednesday and he’s done it on several occasions in the past few years, all in that classic way of his — answering one question but segueing, unprompted, into a gripe about Champions League attendances.

And then the next question arrives and it’s back to the more relevant matters, like City’s inability to find the right pass on Saturday, or the poor touch to receive it if it did arrive.

Normally if City drop points they are camped on the edge of the opponent’s box, probing for openings that don’t arrive. Against Southampton, their best attacks seemed to start 30 yards from their own goal, when they were offered an opportunity to counter-attack by Southampton’s fairly adventurous approach.

Ralph Hasenhuttl’s men did not sit back and park the bus, as they have done at times before. When they lost narrowly here two seasons ago Guardiola said they defended “like a tree” as he explained why City had to resort to endless crosses into the box.

Fernandinho, middle, had a difficult afternoon against Southampton (Photo: Charlotte Wilson/Offside/Offside via Getty Images)
There were a few crosses going in during the final exchanges and City looked like they had won it late on, but Raheem Sterling was ruled offside when he followed up Phil Foden’s well-saved header.

But in truth they wouldn’t have deserved a winner, and Southampton wouldn’t have deserved to lose. Unlike Leicester City last week, they were happy to let City find the defensive midfielder — in this case Fernandinho — and then they pounced, closing down his angles. Hasenhuttl said his men played a similar game to Leipzig, and it made for a torrid afternoon for several City players, including captain Fernandinho, who was the first man to depart the scene.

Kevin De Bruyne came on for him, and while Guardiola threw on Foden and Riyad Mahrez, his game changers could not do much to change the flow of the game, as Southampton continued to cause problems by applying pressure high in the City half, forcing mistakes that led to chances.

What Guardiola did say in midweek was that he wanted more supporters in the stadium on Saturday to help the team, because City would be tired and Southampton would be formidable opponents.

It turns out he was absolutely spot on in that sense, but he’s not right all the time and nobody should be vilified for pointing that out.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:09 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Mase wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

How could we forget. It was classed as a second phase of play and took an age to understand as we’d been told otherwise on numerous occasions.

Do the ref’s get a shout from SkyBet to wait-out on the decision while they work out their books?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby City64 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:24 am

A game confined into the history realms of shitness .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:46 am

City64 wrote:A game confined into the history realms of shitness .

One for the archives. Pep saw it coming ?
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby City64 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:56 am

Hazy2 wrote:
City64 wrote:A game confined into the history realms of shitness .

One for the archives. Pep saw it coming ?

No the bald cunt has a massive cob on and in full sulk because the Sheik didn’t buy him a striker. So we are back to where we have been many times where he picks a shit starting eleven because his ego gets the better of the situation. It’s something we have to live with unfortunately. The petulant twat will never have a love affair with city fans because he is Catalan through and through , can’t fault him for that in the big picture of things he has brought us to where we are ………. everybody talks about us 24/7 because we are box office and every cunt who doesn’t support us are jealous as fuck , never thought I would be in this situation in my lifetime but here we are top billing every fucking second of the day . I guess we have to learn to deal with it Hazy .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby City64 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:58 am

We also have the best tits and fanny following in the world , keep it up ladies absolutely top fucking class 8-) :D
CTID
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mase » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:15 am

Pep has said Sterling was good against Southampton. Always dangerous and ready.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby salford city » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:40 am

Mase wrote:Pep has said Sterling was good against Southampton. Always dangerous and ready.

Haha fuck me, guaranteed starter at Chelsea then jesus H.......
salford city

Postby PeterParker » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:31 am

salford city wrote:
Mase wrote:Pep has said Sterling was good against Southampton. Always dangerous and ready.

I have a gut feeling he will play again without a defensive mid. With Rodri probably out and Fern, well, old, he will try again to be clever and pack the middle.

Imho, the team vs Arse could get a point vs Chelsea.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby salford city » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:47 am

PeterParker wrote:
salford city wrote:

I have a gut feeling he will play again without a defensive mid. With Rodri probably out and Fern, well, old, he will try again to be clever and pack the middle.

To send Doyle out on loan now looks a bit silly. Fern cannot play twice a week so who plays DM tomorrow. I'd have preferred Doyle to stay snd play in the league cup - is he the answer in DM, no, but neither Fern nor Rodri play tomorrow or we are fucked for Chelsea. Gundo simply does not work either. Only wycombe but we are now going to play either a regular or someone out of position maybe Cancelo as DM
salford city

Postby Mase » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:50 am

salford city wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
salford city wrote:

To send Doyle out on loan now looks a bit silly. Fern cannot play twice a week so who plays DM tomorrow. I'd have preferred Doyle to stay snd play in the league cup - is he the answer in DM, no, but neither Fern nor Rodri play tomorrow or we are fucked for Chelsea. Gundo simply does not work either. Only wycombe but we are now going to play either a regular or someone out of position maybe Cancelo as DM

There’s a kid coming through that I believe is training with the first team, that absolutely smashed it last year. Can’t think of his name but we signed him from Anderlecht to eventually replace Fern by all accounts. Hopefully he’ll get given some time on the pitch.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby salford city » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:55 am

Mase wrote:
salford city wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
salford city wrote:

There’s a kid coming through that I believe is training with the first team, that absolutely smashed it last year. Can’t think of his name but we signed him from Anderlecht to eventually replace Fern by all accounts. Hopefully he’ll get given some time on the pitch.

I know who you mean and hopefully, that explains why Doyle was allowed to go. Lets see if he gets a chance tomorrow. I vote he picks either Cancelo or Zinch to hold midfield
salford city

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:59 am

Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum