City v Southampton- Official Match Thread

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: City v Southampton- Official Match Thread

Postby zuricity » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:40 pm

The Woke Meddlers in football have ruined attacking play.

Old offside rule , Tin tins cross , players are offside. No debate .

However Phil pops up from an onside position and header gets saved, meaning the ball has been played by a Soton player , playing everyone onside .

Where do you want to draw the line with phases of play. Utter crap.

Doesn't excuse the lack of creativity.
Last edited by zuricity on Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby PeterParker » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:45 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
stupot wrote:Worst performance I've seen from Fern, gave it away constantly. Bernardo was invisible again. Sterling did nothing. Only 2 players to play well were Grealish and Cancelo for me

I agree there, mate. We actually did look knackered and we’re a second behind everything we were trying to do. Was that us more down to Southampton being very organised and the full week to concentrate on this game, I don’t know, but they were far more sharper than we were.

Fern was off with Spuds also, really off.
He looked knackered in all games so far, to be honest.

I think he wanted to retire after the season ended (or leave to a lower league), but was convinced by the board/staff to stay because we wouldn't replace him because we were focusing on Kane and Jack. He stayed for the sake of us.
I will not criticize him at all, no matter how bad he will be. A cult legend in my book.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Outcast » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:10 pm

Is Pep turning into Jose? His methods caught up with him?
Maybe needs a fresh challenge?
He seems to have lost his mojo and just going through motions, he certainly getting grumpier these days!
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby City64 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:10 pm

Dog shit game . Peps had a cob on all week , our players looked fatigued Fern looks like his legs have gone and Southampton were fresh as fuck full of energy. Thank fuck the sun was out and tits and fanny aplenty ! :lol:
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby CuteMancs » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:11 pm

City64 wrote:Dog shit game . Peps had a cob on all week , our players looked fatigued Fern looks like his legs have gone and Southampton were fresh as fuck full of energy. Thank fuck the sun was out and tits and fanny aplenty ! :lol:

Just got home, and no idea what I just saw! City64 is right though, lots of talent out today

I usually treat my body like a temple. Last night I treated mine like a whorehouse above a liquor store next to a motherfucking Taco Bell.
CuteMancs
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Mase » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:15 pm

CuteMancs wrote:
City64 wrote:Dog shit game . Peps had a cob on all week , our players looked fatigued Fern looks like his legs have gone and Southampton were fresh as fuck full of energy. Thank fuck the sun was out and tits and fanny aplenty ! :lol:

Just got home, and no idea what I just saw! City64 is right though, lots of talent out today

Jack Grealish being one of them.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Dimples » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:16 pm

Outcast wrote:Is Pep turning into Jose? His methods caught up with him?
He seems to have lost his mojo and just going through motions, he certainly getting grumpier these days!

Well there has to be something going on with Sterling.
Did not try a leg for us last season, went to Euros and was excellent for England, back with us and he is just strolling around, useless again.
We did not get Kane that is another problem.
So all may not be well behind the scenes?

Pep is not past his sell by date. Look at our record last season. But it is beginning to look like there is unrest somewhere within the club.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby PeterParker » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:26 pm

Dimples wrote:

Pep is not past his sell by date. Look at our record last season. But it is beginning to look like there is unrest somewhere within the club.

I am willing to bet he wants to leave the next or the summer after next, the club wants him to stay, but will not get the players he wants until he commits to the conditions of the board.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:44 pm

Credit to the Saints, we were outmanouevred - Ralph's plan worked - the gamechangers were Romeu & Ward Prowse but I won't bore you with the details, leave that to The Athletic's dissection later.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby patrickblue » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:16 pm

zuricity wrote:The Woke Meddlers in football have ruined attacking play.

However Phil pops up from an onside position and header gets saved, meaning the ball has been played by a Soton player , playing everyone onside .

What I thought. How can you be offside from a rebound off the opposition keeper?

Still we didn't deserve to win it, and tbh I really think we got away with that penno decision.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:22 pm

patrickblue wrote:

What I thought. How can you be offside from a rebound off the opposition keeper?
Still we didn't deserve to win it, and tbh I really think we got away with that penno decision.

Razzer's still fuming
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby sheblue » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:52 pm

Dimples wrote:

Well there has to be something going on with Sterling.
Did not try a leg for us last season, went to Euros and was excellent for England, back with us and he is just strolling around, useless again.
We did not get Kane that is another problem.
So all may not be well behind the scenes?

We need to see the reaction from the squad next week before we call it unrest.
Forget about Tuesday night, its meaningless, it's all about what happens from next Saturday for that week, a huge week for us. Three of the toughest games of the season in one week.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby salford city » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:23 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
patrickblue wrote:

Razzer's still fuming

Not as fuming as me when I saw him starting...

Just back been on the piss all day. Soton deserve all credit turned up and fucked us over fair play to them. Pep its on you again, but that's what you want isnt ot?
If we go Chelsea with that , we will get dicked
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby nottsblue » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:57 pm

patrickblue wrote:

Indeed. And wasn’t Arsenals goal from Aubamayang last week given for this very reason as it came off the goalie last before he tapped it in as he was offside when the original shot from the Arsenal player came in?
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Hazy2 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:29 am

salford city wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
patrickblue wrote:

Razzer's still fuming

Not as fuming as me when I saw him starting...

Just back been on the piss all day. Soton deserve all credit turned up and fucked us over fair play to them. Pep its on you again, but that's what you want isnt ot?
If we go Chelsea with that , we will get dicked

Same, other than the 2.5 hours at the game. Nice day in town, cheeky Italian with the family. Home. Agree on Southampton we did not need a full rested side after Wed. If we had Sergio in his pomp you can get away with days like that. Rest up for revenge.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mase » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:02 am

What’s mad is that Sterling was dog shit yet again, but we could be sat here talking about him scoring a 90th minute winner had the rules been applied properly. Mental.

EDIT - I’ve just seen that Sterling didn’t actually touch it! It was Foden :lol: Goal should have stood. Which begs the question, why did Sterling run off celebrating like he’d scored it?!!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:54 am

PeterParker wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
stupot wrote:Worst performance I've seen from Fern, gave it away constantly. Bernardo was invisible again. Sterling did nothing. Only 2 players to play well were Grealish and Cancelo for me

I agree there, mate. We actually did look knackered and we’re a second behind everything we were trying to do. Was that us more down to Southampton being very organised and the full week to concentrate on this game, I don’t know, but they were far more sharper than we were.

Fern was off with Spuds also, really off.
He looked knackered in all games so far, to be honest.

I think he wanted to retire after the season ended (or leave to a lower league), but was convinced by the board/staff to stay because we wouldn't replace him because we were focusing on Kane and Jack. He stayed for the sake of us.
I will not criticize him at all, no matter how bad he will be. A cult legend in my book.

Also agreed, no need whatsoever to slate the likes of Fern. There seemed a combination of effects, Ake playing due 2 of our better players being out and considering his father passed away only a few days ago should be given a pat on the back for even turning up. Then there’s Rodri which meant Fern had to start, leaving no legs in midfield which is where I thought we vastly underperformed. Obviously there’s more with Sterling’s form, integrating Grealish and the likes of KDB and Phil coming back from injury but it all added up to that perfect storm that Southampton did very well to weather.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:04 am

Mase wrote:What’s mad is that Sterling was dog shit yet again, but we could be sat here talking about him scoring a 90th minute winner had the rules been applied properly. Mental.

EDIT - I’ve just seen that Sterling didn’t actually touch it! It was Foden :lol: Goal should have stood. Which begs the question, why did Sterling run off celebrating like he’d scored it?!!

When they were looking at it and showed the pics it looked like the lines were in the wrong place and was waiting for them to be moved. Nothing came so I thought the answer would be a goal. The fact that they took over 3 minutes to rule it out says it all because that meant they had to be looking for minutest of issues not to give it.

And, with regard to who touched the ball, it did look like Phil as he was the one who ran off really celebrating it whereas Sterling hard that celebration of ‘We’ve scored a goal’ rather than ‘I scored …’. Either way, if they are now giving the befit of doubt and showing the converging wider line then they failed in every aspect.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Mase » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:14 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
Mase wrote:What’s mad is that Sterling was dog shit yet again, but we could be sat here talking about him scoring a 90th minute winner had the rules been applied properly. Mental.

When they were looking at it and showed the pics it looked like the lines were in the wrong place and was waiting for them to be moved. Nothing came so I thought the answer would be a goal. The fact that they took over 3 minutes to rule it out says it all because that meant they had to be looking for minutest of issues not to give it.

And, with regard to who touched the ball, it did look like Phil as he was the one who ran off really celebrating it whereas Sterling hard that celebration of ‘We’ve scored a goal’ rather than ‘I scored …’. Either way, if they are now giving the befit of doubt and showing the converging wider line then they failed in every aspect.

When Collymore is saying “I think this should be given” and it isn’t, you know there’s something wrong.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby nottsblue » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:36 am

Mase wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

When Collymore is saying “I think this should be given” and it isn’t, you know there’s something wrong.

Regardless of who put the ball in the net, the ball was last played by a Southampton man, the goalie, so unless the offside law has been changed offside doesn’t come into it.

The exact same scenario which happened to Arsenal last week, where the goal was given and the broadcasters went out of their way to explain this
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum