PL rivals - current status

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

PL rivals - current status

Postby Dimples » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:36 pm

It is a long time since I have been so pessimistic about our chance of winning the 21/22 PL title.

Crazy as it sounds if we lose our next two PL matches I think it is all over for us.
We would probably be 9 points behind Chelsea, Liverpool and Rags. It would be very difficult to pull that back.
The above three teams seem better equipped to not drop points against the teams outside the top 4.
The key difference being each team has a clinical goal scorer - Lulu, Salah and the ego maniac - we don't. IMO it will cost us dearly.
Upsets are unlikely because Leicester, Everton, Spurs, etc... seem to be way of the pace.

With regard to our potential results against the top 4 - I am not hopeful. We will be doing well to get a 50/50 share of the points.

In summary, I see us dropping more points against the teams outside the top 4 than the other top 4 teams will (no clinical CF)
I cannot see us pulling those points back against the top 4 in the head to head clashes.

I think it will finish: 1. Chelsea 2. Liverpool 3/4 toss up between us and the Rags

What do other posters think?
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Re: PL rivals - current status

Postby branny » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:45 pm

Dimples wrote:It is a long time since I have been so pessimistic about our chance of winning the 21/22 PL title.

Crazy as it sounds if we lose our next two PL matches I think it is all over for us.
We would probably be 9 points behind Chelsea, Liverpool and Rags. It would be very difficult to pull that back.
The above three teams seem better equipped to not drop points against the teams outside the top 4.
The key difference being each team has a clinical goal scorer - Lulu, Salah and the ego maniac - we don't. IMO it will cost us dearly.
Upsets are unlikely because Leicester, Everton, Spurs, etc... seem to be way of the pace.

With regard to our potential results against the top 4 - I am not hopeful. We will be doing well to get a 50/50 share of the points.

In summary, I see us dropping more points against the teams outside the top 4 than the other top 4 teams will (no clinical CF)
I cannot see us pulling those points back against the top 4 in the head to head clashes.

I think it will finish: 1. Chelsea 2. Liverpool 3/4 toss up between us and the Rags

What do other posters think?

And if we win next week (and it's a big "IF") we're above Chelsea. :o

I can't see any weaknesses with Chelsea whereas we have several. No CF, no proper LB and as much as it pains me to say it, time may finally have caught up with Fern. Pep's baffling team selections and stubbornness may cost us points as well, plus motivation to go back to back again. I think we'll have more idea of where we are come the 5th October.

Liverpool have players and fans back so they'll be a completely different animal. My one concern with the Rags is that they will bring in a decent manager and there's no doubt that they will improve if that happens (think Chelsea under Frank).

I think we're all jostling for position behind Chelsea this season.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby PeterParker » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:55 pm

Not fixing the striker issue will cost us, no doubt. Not giving Delap a chance will cost us, no doubt.
But what will cost us the most is not getting the players to have the hunger to do it all over again.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:00 pm

What will fuck us is crap team selection and, of course the lack of real striker
I also think the spuds defeat will come back to haunt us because our rivals will not lose against them.
Last edited by Harry Dowd scored on Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby sheblue » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:13 pm

Think it's too early to be writing us off, not saying we're going to retain the title or anything but there's 5 games played!

We are 3 points off top.

Shite preseason.

Three of our first 11 from last season have hardly kicked a ball this term.

Let's give it another while before we order the coffin.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby nottsblue » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:20 pm

Of course we CAN win it. We have won it three years out of the last four. We have lots of positives running through our set up and squad. But we also have a few negatives creeping in and slowly getting a foothold. And it’s these negatives which is why I think we ultimately won’t win it this year.

The lack of a striker is terrible negligence and I think there is more going on behind the scenes than meets the eye as to why this is. Maybe it will come out, maybe it won’t. But it will hurt us. We have played 7 games this year so far and failed to score in 3 of them. That is not the form of champions.

Of course, there will be many twists and turns to come and there is the knowledge that we won it last year after a much slower start. But all our rivals are stronger than last season and we probably won’t get away with a false 9 as we did.

But ultimately if we don’t win the PL, then a cup win will have to do!
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:19 pm

Before the season started I had no expectations of winning the league and that hasn’t changed. Chelsea have a seriously good squad, Rags have a very good squad but a poor manager and Liverpool have been able to rest most of their important players. We, like last season, have tried to give players a little bit of an extra break following the Euros but have been found out by injury and have to splice a team together in certain games. We do have a very good squad but we will have to work twice as hard without that natural striker who can take the pressure off when needed.

And that’s before PIGMOL get their grubby hands on the game day on behalf of their masters.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Wonderwall » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:34 pm

Only another 33 games to go.

I'll keep my powder dry
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:40 pm

Wonderwall wrote:Only another 33 games to go.

I'll keep my powder dry

That’s just the PL ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:58 pm

We won’t win fuckall this year .

Baldie is depressed , the team hasn’t changed apart from signing the prems biggest British-transfer to date , a player we didn’t need - what we have seen so far ? Not a fucking chance in hell we will win anything .

Baldies last season with us IMO .
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:49 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Before the season started I had no expectations of winning the league and that hasn’t changed. Chelsea have a seriously good squad, Rags have a very good squad but a poor manager and Liverpool have been able to rest most of their important players. We, like last season, have tried to give players a little bit of an extra break following the Euros but have been found out by injury and have to splice a team together in certain games. We do have a very good squad but we will have to work twice as hard without that natural striker who can take the pressure off when needed.

And that’s before PIGMOL get their grubby hands on the game day on behalf of their masters.

So basically , baldie has fucked up completely !! not signed a forward , not signed a left back.

Inept management

P.S You need to stop blaming PIGMOL for Baldies failings.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:59 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Before the season started I had no expectations of winning the league and that hasn’t changed. Chelsea have a seriously good squad, Rags have a very good squad but a poor manager and Liverpool have been able to rest most of their important players. We, like last season, have tried to give players a little bit of an extra break following the Euros but have been found out by injury and have to splice a team together in certain games. We do have a very good squad but we will have to work twice as hard without that natural striker who can take the pressure off when needed.

So basically , baldie has fucked up completely !! not signed a forward , not signed a left back.

Inept management

I need to stop? As mentioned, that’s before so has little consequence. As for blame, that’s at the clubs feet, not just the manager. However, one thing we can blame them all for is probably spending too much money over the managers tenure which left us a little short and not held hostage to Levy’s, and Spurs, ways. Some may point out to you that all that spend has brought huge rewards for the club, the management team, the players and the fans but I’ll leave others to talk about this magnificent period.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby City64 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:19 am

Jesus fucking wept .
5 fucking games .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby salford city » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:29 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:We won’t win fuckall this year .

Baldie is depressed , the team hasn’t changed apart from signing the prems biggest British-transfer to date , a player we didn’t need - what we have seen so far ? Not a fucking chance in hell we will win anything .

Baldies last season with us IMO .

I think it is chumps league or bust for us this season. Before season start it was between us and Chelsea for the league. Saturday and spuds away are 5 points dropped that would have us top and unbeaten. Lukaku or any proven striker and we don't drop any of those points imo. Next two prem away games will be telling. We will be doing well to come out of those unbeaten. Pep will over think Tuchel and we always shit our pants at anfield . So Sterling plays both games. I do believe Pep will go at the end of this season and said in another thread that we should have Conte lined up as if we allow him to go to the swamp, he will have them flying
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city

Postby Original Dub » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:41 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Inept management

Obsessed :lol:
Original Dub
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Haaland

Postby Outcast » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:47 am

Our performance and result against Southampton was shocking. We don't need a £100m striker to beat these lot. I appreciate we need a striker in the big games and tight matches and it's likely to cost us down the line but let's not sugar coat the overall performance, this is down to the manager, it's down to him to find solutions, that's why he's the highest paid manager in the world. We should be entitled to criticise him when he fails and praise when he succeed, it's part and parcel of the job. I think he brought unnecessary heat on himself and put the players under more pressure with his fans antics.

I really hope he pulls his finger out and start finding solutions and less excuses, some of his selection choices and substitution even Messi In his prime probably couldn't save us.

P.s blaming referees is getting boring, yes some of the decisions are baffling and maybe corrupt but not as baffling as Peps selections
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Dimples » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:48 am

The club tried to address the CF position.
They did not bend over for Levy and did not appear to have had a plan B.
Cannot really blame them for not allowing Levy to bugger us but can blame them for not having a plan B - for this season.

There may actually be a plan B but it is a long term play and cannot be exercised until next summer (or January)?
I mean it is always about steady growth over the longer term with us, it is never about short term knee jerk reactions.

But no CF is going to cost us this season.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby salford city » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:49 am

Outcast wrote:Our performance and result against Southampton was shocking. We don't need a £100m striker to beat these lot. I appreciate we need a striker in the big games and tight matches and it's likely to cost us down the line but let's not sugar coat the overall performance, this is down to the manager, it's down to him to find solutions, that's why he's the highest paid manager in the world. We should be entitled to criticise him when he fails and praise when he succeed, it's part and parcel of the job. I think he brought unnecessary heat on himself and put the players under more pressure with his fans antics.

I really hope he pulls his finger out and start finding solutions and less excuses, some of his selection choices and substitution even Messi In his prime probably couldn't save us.

P.s blaming referees is getting boring, yes some of the decisions are baffling and maybe corrupt but not as baffling as Peps selections

Ake and Canceli weaken us substantially and decent teams will pick on that left hand side. We need to solve the left back situation in January or summer. Scouse will rape us down that wing and the other red shite will lob balls to the back stick aginst our pretend left backs
Fucks me off that the issue is still around but it is
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city

Postby PeterParker » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:22 am

I don't mind if Chelsea wins it, to be honest.
Worst case scenario the rags, but hope not those criminals bastards. Let that title be the only one, a fluke.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby failsworthblue » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:23 am

We are always capable of stringing a long run of wins together , but for me Chelski look really strong and have everything , the murderers are back in contention again as well but are a one man team and if he gets injured again the wheels will come off.
failsworthblue
De Jong's Tackle

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum