Womens Team

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Womens Team

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:32 pm

(Maybe this topic could be a subforum?)
City v Arsenal on Sky 1845 this evening - currently Rags getting stuffed 0-3 by the Chavs at Leigh Sports Village on BBC2 (currently half-time)
Still can't believe the Spurs handball winner last week - total joke
Last edited by johnny crossan on Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Re: Womens Team 21/22

Postby Mase » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:38 pm

I’ve got tickets against Chelsea 14th Nov. Going to take the little one and ease her in to football with a smaller crowd than the men’s team.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:43 pm

standard of officiating in these games is simply appalling - clear offside goal given for the chavs just now 1-4 - oh well :lol: :lol:
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby london blue 2 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:09 pm

They’re crap.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Scatman » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:32 pm

Who cares?
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby dazby » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:30 am

I do. Women's football is great.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Outcast » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:11 am

Great squad managed by a sheep shagger
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby sheblue » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:21 am

No disrespect, but I have just no interest in it. As long as they are enjoying themselves, sure there's no harm in it.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby salford city » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:12 pm

sheblue wrote:No disrespect, but I have just no interest in it. As long as they are enjoying themselves, sure there's no harm in it.

Same here, getting slightly pissed off that they keep sending me tkt info for them
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:34 pm

No disrespect ?? ...........Women's football is about as appetizing as a shit sandwich and there should be no thread about them on the real football forum.

There must be less than 5 people on here who actually give a fuck.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:07 am

Are you throwbacks trying to get this forum vilified in the next BBC woker documentary on the barriers to the ladies' game?
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:09 am

johnny crossan wrote:Are you throwbacks trying to get this forum vilified in the next BBC woker documentary on the barriers to the ladies' game?

Lol
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Scatman » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:04 am

johnny crossan wrote:Are you throwbacks trying to get this forum vilified in the next BBC woker documentary on the barriers to the ladies' game?

The barriers to the ladies' game are quite simple: it is a second rate product. Why buy Roller Cola when you can have The Real Thing?
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:30 pm

for the handful on here who are interested it seems our ladies team manager is allegedly under the cosh...
Manchester City are in their toughest period since joining the WSL and all eyes are still on Gareth Taylor
Manchester City women
By Katie Whyatt Sept 30, 2021 5
Manchester City needed that. Their 6-0 FA Cup win over Women’s Super League newcomers Leicester would have been welcomed on any normal occasion, but in context, it is a huge relief.

Not only because they won with four substitutes on the bench, Jill Scott at centre-back and Alex Greenwood as the last defender standing in a back line held together with sticking tape. But because of everything that came before, and everything that is still to come given the scale of the challenge still facing City.

The immediate relief is that they are still in the FA Cup that, despite their early league form, means a chance of silverware looks very possible.

To put it simply, the opening few weeks of the season haven’t been much fun. Their run of one win in five reached what manager Gareth Taylor will hope is its nadir with Sunday’s 5-0 defeat against Arsenal — the heaviest defeat since City turned professional. Ominously, they will play Chelsea twice in the next two months.

This is the club’s toughest period since joining the WSL. A 12-team league makes it almost impossible to catch up after any slip: City’s two defeats render Arsenal’s perfect start more untouchable still. They also fell out of the Champions League at the first round: they were handed the toughest draw, against Real Madrid, but the defeat still cost them €400,000 (£346,000).

No reprieve looked forthcoming, given the mounting injury list that, at the last count, was four outfielders short of being a starting XI. To recap, in case you’ve missed a name or two, City are without goalkeepers Ellie Roebuck and Karen Bardsley, Hayley Raso, Lucy Bronze, Chloe Kelly, Esme Morgan, Steph Houghton and Demi Stokes.

No one could have foreseen that many casualties but the fact that City’s website listed just three full-backs on the eve of the season probably indicates how shallow their squad is. Their summer window looked impressive with a flurry of big-name arrivals, but that one of the richest women’s clubs in the world could not fill its substitute’s bench is troubling.

“The recruitment staff come under the microscope with the depth compared to Arsenal and Chelsea,” one source told The Athletic. “I don’t think they felt they went big in the summer — just what was needed to stay at that level.”

Taylor is not believed to be under immediate pressure from the club, the source added, with the list of casualties — City are understood to have been informed of rules omitting cup-tied summer signings Alanna Kennedy and Ruby Mace from Wednesday’s FA Cup game against Leicester after the transfer window closed — helping to buy him time.

The Olympics adds to that, too. Out of the top WSL clubs whose stars competed at the tournament in Tokyo, one could argue that City paid the highest price. They contributed twice as many players to Team GB as Chelsea and Arsenal, and had more current players at the tournament than either of their top three rivals. City started just four Team GB players for their first game of the season against Real Madrid, and Chelsea likewise rested their main Olympians for their 3-2 defeat against Arsenal.

Added to their London rivals’ superior squad depth, plus their superior pre-season preparations — Chelsea managed three pre-season games and Arsenal two, whereas City managed none — the elite clubs have to be concerned about an international calendar that will take in five tournaments over the next five years for European clubs.

Unsurprisingly, the Chelsea manager Emma Hayes sprang to Taylor’s defence: “A European Championship is next summer, and some of us might have 10, 11, 12, 13 players in that. If you didn’t win the league and you’re expected to compete (in the Champions League) within two weeks of that, it’s not acceptable. It’s not acceptable on the players.”

Yet with hindsight, Taylor’s position raises questions about the compatibility of the wider aim of City Football Group’s (CFG) to develop its existing coaching staff alongside the running of an elite women’s team. Taylor’s appointment was in the same vein as that of Nick Cushing, a youth coach promoted from within to manage the senior women’s side.

Taylor was previously the coach for City’s under-18 boys’ side. Cushing was a coach in the boys’ academy until he began to crave greater responsibility around the launch of the women’s team, assuming the role of manager in November 2013. This model extends to some degree across CFG’s men’s sides, with Rodolfo Borrell, City’s academy technical director from 2014-2016, now Pep Guardiola’s assistant.

Although well-regarded by other coaches at the club, and an appointment that fits with what City tried previously, Taylor possessed no first-team managerial experience or any specific experience of women’s football. The potential stumbling blocks were not flagged at the outset as vocally as they were when Phil Neville became the England manager with the same shortcomings.

The head coach role of Manchester City is likewise one of the most coveted roles in women’s football and perhaps more questions should have been asked at the time. Sources told The Athletic that some players have struggled with the transition to a new coach after so long under Cushing.

Cushing left City in 2020 for a new development opportunity within CFG as an assistant coach at New York City FC, but there were teething problems during his time with the women’s side even for a manager who went on to win six trophies in six years. A four-game losing streak occurred early in his tenure and City, one of the first clubs to move into some semblance of full-time professionalism, struggled with the logistics of that transition. And that was before the rest of the field joined them in strengthening.

There are greater expectations on Taylor and tougher competition, all of which will increase scrutiny on those occasions when City face less obliging opponents than Leicester.

(Photo: Chloe Knott/Manchester City FC via Getty Images)

What did you think of
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:11 pm

After the disgusting way Doncaster Belles were treated to shoehorn us into the WSL, I'd say the FA (and MCWFC by direct association with the events) is one of the main barriers to the ladies' game. After those events, I find it very difficult to support the women's team.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby patrickblue » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:30 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:

After the disgusting way Doncaster Belles were treated to shoehorn us into the WSL, I'd say the FA (and MCWFC by direct association with the events) is one of the main barriers to the ladies' game. After those events, I find it very difficult to support the women's team.

You're quite right. It just proved that the woman's game is intrinsically the same as the men's, totally driven by financial profit.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:01 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:

The BBC commentator on the Spurs game again referred to the crime against the Doncaster Belies on at least three occasions so it has not gone un-noticed. Just to be clear, it wasn't City wot did it.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:18 am

My daughter has taken a real interest in them and that’s enough for me to watch. They play some good stuff at times too.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Plain Speaking » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:12 am

I know we have a number of injuries but it must be devastating for development of our women's team to go out of the champions league at such an early stage this season to a new CL team, and then to look unlikely contenders to be in next year's champion's league.

Women's contracts tend to be much shorter than in the men's game with more inter club transfers. We'll have trouble attracting the best players without CL football. It's a results business and on the face of it Taylor look's a dead man walking!
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:51 pm

City one up but down to ten. BBC specially selected rag commentator telling us all her team should be 4 nil up - British Bias Corporation converted to MUWTV this afternoon.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum