sterling

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: sterling

Postby sheblue » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:53 pm

Dimples wrote:According to Didi Hamann when Sterling asked Pep why he was not a regular starter, he was told there were better players than him available. He had dropped down the pecking order.
Tonight he dropped even further, not only is he missing chances but now he is choosing the wrong options, shooting instead of passing for tap ins.

Hard to see a way back for him now.
He will be gone before next season, maybe even in January.

Just cant see him going in January, unless its ultimately a bad deal for us.
Barring a shitty loan deal or a good old MCFC give away, he is staying until the summer. And even then its debatable as to who will pay.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby PrezIke » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:28 pm

sheblue wrote:
Dimples wrote:According to Didi Hamann when Sterling asked Pep why he was not a regular starter, he was told there were better players than him available. He had dropped down the pecking order.
Tonight he dropped even further, not only is he missing chances but now he is choosing the wrong options, shooting instead of passing for tap ins.

Barring a shitty loan deal or a good old MCFC give away, he is staying until the summer. And even then its debatable as to who will pay.

Even as a massive Raz fan it is hard to not see the reasons why he may be off. He's not gotten back to himself, even if I do wonder TBF if he needs a proper no. 9 to be at his best (Ahsan from 9320 also hinted at this recently).

The only thing is we have seen more than a few players who seemed certain to be gone find some way to return to form and get back into the team.

However, I do think it is worth considering that Sterling may be a different personality, where he really needs to "feel the love" more so than others, and while Pep keeps giving him chances, including the CL final, he isn't producing enough (his pass to Palmer was excellent yesterday, however) and with Grealish and what was spent for him you do wonder how that affects him.

Grealish is not playing so well, so there is room for him to get more starts, but does he have that in him now?

Problem is the market is not great, nor for him, at the moment and he will have to downgrade his expectations for most clubs and wages (the latter outside of say Newcastle which would be far worse in the former).

Barca, sure, but they won't pay the wages he wants. I guess Barca's reputation and the attention that comes with it would be the allure, but he's not assured of time there even though Griezmann is gone. Fati is back, but TBF, there is probably less competition than with us.

If he goes Palmer would get more opportunities, but hard to know what will happen yet.

Raz probably more likely to move this summer, but more than few of us have been convinced at one point that Aguero, Stones, Bernardo and Mahrez and now Laporte (still could go) and they all stayed.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Dimples » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:36 pm

sheblue wrote:

Yep hard to see him being allowed to leave in January. Even harder to see how we get a decent fee as his contract expires at end of 22/23 season. He can afford to wait as he is still reasonably young but if he does he risks his world cup place - maybe?
For certain we cannot afford the luxury of playing him in tight matches. He just cannot finish the chances he gets.
Hard to know how this will play out but I would put money down that we get nowhere near his market value unless he goes to Newcastle.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby Mase » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:38 pm

Prez, his pass to Palmer was probably for Mahrez. But even if it was to Palmer, what made the pass “excellent”? It was a simple pass across. Genuinely interested to see why you thought it was excellent.

I thought Foden’s pass to Cancelo for his goal was excellent. The passes are nowhere near to being on par.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby dazby » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:41 pm

The only chance he goes is if Newcastle puts up some poundies. Otherwise we are stuck with him. Support him in the meantime.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Dimples » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:42 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:

You would have to be completely delusional to even ask that question to the manager.

If he did ask that question and PeP answered it like that ....then Kudos to the manager.

Didi was unambiguous. Seemingly Pep told him straight.
Makes sense as it keeps every player on their toes. Perform (in training and in games), follow the game plan and you play otherwise you are on the bench - no exceptions.
Thank goodness the Rags did not get Pep. He could turn their squad into winners.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby PrezIke » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:46 pm

Mase wrote:Prez, his pass to Palmer was probably for Mahrez. But even if it was to Palmer, what made the pass “excellent”? It was a simple pass across. Genuinely interested to see why you thought it was excellent.

I thought Foden’s pass to Cancelo for his goal was excellent. The passes are nowhere near to being on par.

Sure mate. The decision and vision to make that pass in the situation I think was at play there as I recall. He had several options, and even to trust Palmer to take the chance was key.

He doesn't have as great a technical ability as most of our attackers in some areass (first touch and longer passes, finishing - yet there was a point when he was at his best where he was taking chances from long shots ON THE LEFT btw, not just tap ins, and also we've seen he show some ability - not Mahrez or KDB level sure - at free kicks) and we know he can seem to panic with one on ones, but in a crowded defence on a counter attack or strong build up play he is capable of such passes.

That's where a true no. 9 helps him as he has been at his best not coincidentally, I believe, when he's had one with him who is making runs into the box for him to send low crosses to or receive himself from his attacking movement which is the strongest part of his game IMO.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:47 pm

dazby wrote:The only chance he goes is if Newcastle puts up some poundies. Otherwise we are stuck with him. Support him in the meantime.
I worry about you Dazby sometimes
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby stupot » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:47 pm

Mase wrote:Prez, his pass to Palmer was probably for Mahrez. But even if it was to Palmer, what made the pass “excellent”? It was a simple pass across. Genuinely interested to see why you thought it was excellent.

I was convinced his pass was to Mahrez.
I also thought Grealish played really well last night, the guy is totally comfortable on the ball. His 1st touch is sublime and he never looks like he's going to give it away.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby PrezIke » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:50 pm

stupot wrote:

I also thought Grealish played really well last night, the guy is totally comfortable on the ball. His 1st touch is sublime and he never looks like he's going to give it away.

I'll have to take a second look. If I am wrong I am more than okay to accept this.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Mase » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:51 pm

PrezIke wrote:

Sure mate. The decision and vision to make that pass in the situation I think was at play there as I recall. He had several options, and even to trust Palmer to take the chance was key.

He doesn't have as great a technical ability as most of our attackers in some areass (first touch and longer passes, finishing - yet there was a point when he was at his best where he was taking chances from long shots ON THE LEFT btw, not just tap ins, and also we've seen he show some ability - not Mahrez or KDB level sure - at free kicks) and we know he can seem to panic with one on ones, but in a crowded defence on a counter attack or strong build up play he is capable of such passes.

That's where a true no. 9 helps him as he has been at his best not coincidentally, I believe, when he's had one with him who is making runs into the box for him to send low crosses to or receive himself from his attacking movement which is the strongest part of his game IMO.

I still think his issue is Arteta leaving. The Amazon doc showed Arteta do a lot of mental work with him, I think there’s one scene with Pep and Arteta discussing Sterling together and Arteta is telling Pep what he’ll speak to Raz about.

I think Raz needs someone in the club that works closely with the first team to help him mentally. Pep isn’t a natural man-manager but he had Arteta to pick up that stuff.

We also changed the way we play from 18/19 where we had Sanè on one side and Sterling on the left and we were running at teams with pace and bombarding them with speed. That suited Sterling but we don’t play like that anymore.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby PrezIke » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:07 pm

PrezIke wrote:
stupot wrote:

I'll have to take a second look. If I am wrong I am more than okay to accept this.

I just took a second look.

So it's not 100% clear either way, but the thing is I would lean towards it being to Palmer:

1) you can see that just before he makes the pass, he looks back to his right where he would see Palmer alone making his run.

2) Mahrez is ahead of him and does slow down to get onside

3) Look at the image I posted: Mahrez is in line with the 2 defenders and yes is slowing down, but he's still moving and with 2 defenders who could also slow down and stick out a foot ruining the counter.

3) A pass to Mahrez, IMO is more of a dummy for the defenders (hence Sterling looking in that direction) as if he does this it slows down the counter.

4) If it was for Mahrez, why would the pass be curling backwards away from Mahrez WHILE Palmer still running forward and who would be highly visible from peripheral vision as there are no other players blocking his sight, would be the FAR better option to catch the defence off guard.

Could I be wrong? Sure, but that gives Sterling very little credit for something I think he is quite good at and let me be clear, he has deserved a lot of criticism aimed at him for his performances for some time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby PrezIke » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:13 pm

I found better angle that makes me more convinced it was for Palmer (the commentator agrees, "The pass for for Palmer is an excellent one.")

From the sidelines Mahrez is either a risk for offside or even more clearly blocked by defenders.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby stupot » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:16 pm

Palmer is behind him, Mahrez is practically level. Looked to me like his pass went behind but Palmer was coming in at speed and gathered.
Think we'll have to agree to disagree
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby stupot » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:18 pm

The commentator did say that but the commentator got everything wrong all night.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby mr_nool » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:00 pm

The pass was for Palmer, otherwise he'd tried to put it in front of the defensive line. But I agree that it was a fairly standard pass, not an excellent one. He did however play one ball over the back 4 that put Grealish one on one with the keeper, andin5my opinion it was on par with Foden's to Cancelo's.

I do think that he is looking a little bit sharper the last couple of games, if we ignore his finishing which is horrible at the moment. I mean, it was quite poor even when his confidence was at its highest. He doesn't go hiding and make all the good runs. But yes, without the end product what's the point?
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:58 pm

If one more person says “Raheem needs more love “ I will hit the rucking roof .

He’s a grown man on 300 k plus a week for fucks sake !!!
What he needs is a fucking reality check and be told he’s playing shit and has been for months and there are far far better players than him at the moment .

More love ? Fuck off !!!!! And fuck off again !!!

Spoilt little rich runt he is .
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Original Dub » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:12 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:If one more person says “Raheem needs more love “ I will hit the rucking roof .

What he needs is a fucking reality check and be told he’s playing shit and has been for months and there are far far better players than him at the moment .

Hard to argue with that.

I'll never hate on him just because he's playing shit the last 6 months. I know how much he contributed to what we achieved since he arrived.
But the minute you open your gob looking for game time when every chance has been afforded to you, not to mention on the biggest stage, you're asking for hate.

He kind of reminds of the type of kids in school who provoked attention on themselves and then asked why everyone wouldn't just leave them alone.

Which is it?
Original Dub
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Haaland

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:46 pm

Original Dub wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:If one more person says “Raheem needs more love “ I will hit the rucking roof .

Hard to argue with that.

I'll never hate on him just because he's playing shit the last 6 months. I know how much he contributed to what we achieved since he arrived.
But the minute you open your gob looking for game time when every chance has been afforded to you, not to mention on the biggest stage, you're asking for hate.

He kind of reminds of the type of kids in school who provoked attention on themselves and then asked why everyone wouldn't just leave them alone.

Which is it?

Love the Raz !
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:24 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Hard to argue with that.

Which is it?

Love the Raz !
'

You flip flop so often its hard to see what stance you really have on most topics.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum