Sir Bernando

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Sir Bernando

Postby Nickyboy » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:45 am

And he did it the right way. Spoke to the club and asked them for a solution. When no one met his valuation he didn't sulk and has been one our top performers. Didn't go on strike, didn't sulk, actually stepped up his performances.
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:41 am

He is the player he is because of City & Pep - he should keep his mouth shut if he wants to leave and go when the opportunity comes - sick of these guys moaning.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Hazy2 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:59 am

CTID Hants wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
Mase wrote:Bernardo Silva has opened up on his request to leave Manchester City over the summer, telling fans it had nothing to do with his affection for the club. It emerged over the summer that Bernardo was looking for a transfer out of City, and his stance was confirmed at the start of the new season by Pep Guardiola.

City did not receive any acceptable bids for Bernardo, however, so the Portuguese midfielder has remained at the Etihad this season and has shown signs of his very best form since joining the club.

Now, in an interview with the Times, Bernardo has explained how the pandemic made him homesick and that was the driving factor behind his desire to leave.

He said : “People suffered much more than us but for me it was tough because I was far away from my family. Before I used to go to Portugal for a couple of days and have dinner with my mum and dad. It was just dinner but you’re with your parents so it’s nice. To not be able to do that was difficult.

“It was not a nice moment to be honest. For a while I was alone in my flat. Later my girlfriend came. It was bad for everyone. I could see in my team-mates’ faces that it was tough for them too.”

“I was feeling a little bit alone at the time in England and I wasn’t very happy with my life. And if you’re not happy, you don’t do your job as well as you do when you are happy. I was well physically, but if you don’t do your job with a smile on your face, you’re not going to do it as well.

“I had a talk with the club because I wasn’t happy with my life here, and I wanted to be closer to my family. But it had nothing to do with the club. I love Manchester City. I love my team-mates, I love the fans, I love the club.

Afterwards, nothing happened. I stayed, and I will always give my best for this club as long as I stay here.”

Bernardo then offered an update on his future, saying he intends to sit down with the club at the end of the season to discuss whether he wants to stay, leave, or sign a new contract.

He said: “At the end of the season, I’m going to sit down with City and see what’s best for both sides. We’re in the middle of the season and we want to win a lot of important trophies.

"We can win all three of them, or zero, or one. Now is not a good time to talk about [my future].”

To me that’s, nothings changed I see myself leaving.

To me and any level headed human being, it means it his choice and nobody has the right to judge him.

Simple as that and it is not like he's gone missing this season.

Would I like him to say, fuck yes !!!!

Surely the last rwo years has taught us all about mental well being. I challenge anyone on here to tell me that they are 1000% the same person they were beforehand.

I totally respect Bernardo re-evaluating what is right for HIM.

Let’s win it all. He would be a huge loss. I’ve said it previously he has been great and if it is Barca it’s 100 mill end of. Please stay absolutely love this fella, his celebrations today were off the chart.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:31 am

How Bernardo Silva and City’s rotations on the left tormented United

By Michael Cox Mar 7, 2022 44

For all Manchester United’s struggles in finishing above Manchester City in recent seasons, their record at the Etihad has actually been very good. They won away at their rivals in 2015-16, 2017-18, 2019-20 and 2020-21, and recorded a goalless draw in 2016-17, generally by approaching the game cautiously and playing on the counter-attack.

But United were overwhelmed by Pep Guardiola’s side throughout yesterday’s clash, with a more proactive approach playing into City’s hands, leaving United overrun in midfield and particularly vulnerable down their right-hand side.
Manchester City have tended to focus their attacking play down the left, primarily as a consequence of Joao Cancelo being an outright playmaker at times, with Kyle Walker on the opposite flank holding a cautious position. This season, 40 per cent of City’s attacking touches have come down the left, compared to 35 per cent down the right.
That might seem like a small difference, but over 28 matches, it is noticeable. That left-sided bias has rarely been as obvious as in yesterday’s game. The proportion of attacking touches down City’s left jumped to an outrageous 51 per cent, a figure that won’t surprise anyone who watched the game.
In terms of system, this was a classic Guardiola approach — 4-3-3, with Phil Foden leading the line, two wide players stretching the play down both flanks — and, crucially, Bernardo Silva and Kevin De Bruyne as “free eights”, positioning themselves in the “square” of players that comprised the two banks of four in Ralf Rangnick’s system. It brought to mind the approach Guardiola used in his early days as City boss.
City’s determination to attack down the left was helped by the fact that United’s shape without the ball was very narrow. Here, United’s six midfielders and attacker are all in broadly central positions, making it simple for John Stones to float a pass over them into Cancelo, who has space to carry the ball forward and combine with Jack Grealish, City’s left winger, who was excellent throughout.
The real star of the show, however, was Bernardo. He used his freedom in that No 8 role not merely to push forward into attacking positions, but also to drift wide and essentially become an extra left winger. Usually, it is De Bruyne on the other flank who thrives in the channel and by drifting to the outside — but he remained narrow here, and twice popped up in goalscoring positions, while Bernardo had the licence to roam wide.

Here’s City’s opener. As their centre-backs have the ball, note that Bernardo is in a large pocket of space, but is also checking over his shoulder to assess the position of Grealish and Aaron Wan-Bissaka.
Then comes another ball out to Cancelo, unmarked again because Anthony Elanga is narrow, in keeping with Rangnick’s apparent determination to keep an aggressive central block.
Again, note that Bernardo is glancing over to check Grealish’s position — he has moved a little wider, and Wan-Bissaka is following him, so that opens up more space in the channel for Bernardo.
Cancelo can play an easy pass to Bernardo in space, and after he combines with Grealish to get towards the byline…
… he can play a pull-back for De Bruyne to convert. In truth, Silva shouldn’t have been able to squeeze in a low cross here — United had pushed three players out wide to shut him down.

That, in turn, left them undermanned in the centre. With Victor Lindelof dragged out wide, Harry Maguire is watching Phil Foden, while Alex Telles — previously concerned with Riyad Mahrez at the far post, is now watching De Bruyne, but reacts too late to close him down.

The more the game continued, the more it became apparent that City were trying to work that flank, often with clever rotations of position. Here, De Bruyne finds Cancelo out wide, and Bernardo, the central midfielder, makes an overlapping run around the left-back.
This is another familiar City move — again, usually found down the right.

As Aymeric Laporte is on the ball, Bernardo is pointing for him to play the pass into Grealish. As soon as Laporte releases the ball, Bernardo makes a run into the channel, knowing that Wan-Bisssaka will be moving out towards Grealish. This forces Wan-Bissaka to hold his position, and Grealish has time to carry the ball inside.

The moves kept on coming down that flank — this is essentially City trying to recreate the first goal, with Bernardo to the left and crossing towards De Bruyne, although on this occasion, Foden got there first and looped a header onto the bar.

Here’s another example of a long switch out to Grealish. Walker swings it out, Grealish plays a first-time pass to Bernardo, who crosses into the middle.

And here’s how easy it was for City to progress the ball on the outside — Cancelo playing a pass on the outside of Elanga to Grealish, which attracts Wan-Bissaka out wide, allowing Bernardo to run into the channel to receive another pass down the touchline. It was simply three City players combining on the outside of Manchester United’s two right-sided players.

And if any single incident illustrated how much City were loading up players down that side, it was when Mahrez had a shot saved by David de Gea, and the rebound dropped towards the left of the box, and Grealish, Bernardo and Cancelo all got in each others’ way going for the loose ball.
The same pattern continued after the break. Bernardo’s head movement is always interesting — here, yet again, he spots Wan-Bissaka moving up to Grealish, so sees the opportunity to make another run out wide and into a crossing position.
And this was his most overt overlapping run of the day — starting in a central position but running all the way around Grealish to the outside. The beleaguered Wan-Bissaka desperately calls for support, which sums up his afternoon concisely.
Grealish received plenty of plaudits in the aftermath — and this was his most impressive all-round display since joining City last summer. But really, City’s dominance down his side was equally about Cancelo, about Bernardo, and about the concepts that Manchester United badly lack: cohesion, interplay and a clear tactical plan.

COMMENTS
Joe W.

I wonder what the counter to overloading the left side is, man-mark Bernardo? Have an extra deep-lying player to follow the ball over?
Aayush B.
Mar 7

Playing an extra man in midfield, would be better I think. Maybe could have put Pogba in a 3 along w Fred and mctominay which is what I thought was going to happen originally anyway with Bruno as a false nine.
Niraj D.
Mar 7

@Joe W. Spurs played 5 at the back against them, which worked as a counter.
JP D.

@Joe W. I think is is impossible, as the man marking of Bernardo would free up space for another equally as capable midfielder to drop into and pick-up the ball. It really comes down to the coaching on players positional awareness, movement and technical ability to pass and move in the half spaces. When City players feel they are getting penned in, they are quick to move the ball out and along the back line to the other side or back to the keeper and re-setting the space. Then they go again, patiently working through a team in the first half, once the opposition tire then City almost always pick tempo up second half, which is where the most goals are scored for them. It is almost like boxing in a sense, tire the opponent and reserve your energy and risk taking for later in the fight. It is all down to the coaching, it is a distinct style of play that is heavily drilled into the players, which is why we see Grealish finally adapting, it takes time even for the best players. Players can slot in and know the system and style of play, which is what separates the top sides this season. United are so far behind in this sense and it will cost them dearly in the run-in till the end of season.
Alvin C.

The way to defend is to block the passing lanes and pressure the guy on the ball to play it sideways.

But when you’ve got players jogging and walking as opposed to running, doesn’t matter what you do you’ll lose 4-1
James R.

@JP D. Completely agree, but there's only so much that Rangnick can do in such a short period of time. United are a team that needed a proper rebuild in 2012 and have rotated through several different styles since then. Poor recruitment and Ole's laissez-faire 'tactics' certainly didn't help and now Rangnick has been left with the unenviable task of coaching a team that hasn't been well-coached in years.

Some of these players can only go so far. City took full advantage of Rangnick's decision to have McTominay and Wan Bissaka on the same side. Two ball-watchers who aren't clued in enough to identify movement or potential threats. Like Roy Keane said there are too many players that shouldn't play for United again. So I agree that United are so far behind from a coaching sense, but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that 90% of the players aren't good enough.
JP D.

@James R. I also agree on the player front from a UTD perspective, but so much of that has to do with a lack of identity that is essential when it comes to recruitment. Headline names like Cavani and Ronaldo are papering cracks and the highlight is the announcement. In real life, what is the future, what types of player fit the system etc. It is just throwing money after bad practice and they need a style of play that allows significant recruitment of the right kinds of player. United are in big trouble, the transfer market come summer will be hypercompetitve and the lack of Champions League football, manager and footballing identity is going to be a big turn off for players to sign.
Brian M.
Mar 7
You win the ball back and attack the space left behind.
Jay B.
Mar 8
I think it’s kind of same situation when Pep started using False nine at Barca. So, from my point of view, clear idea on who is going for whom, understanding between Right mid and right back and even cdm.

If you follow the first goal, they all went to block on the wide side and central was open. So, if wan-bissaka follows Grealish, then Elanga should spot the run of Silva or Elanga should pressure grealish and tell Wan-bissaka to stay with Silva.

In UTD case it was difficult because they were very narrow and that can be helpful but if you pressure aggressively and aware of the spaces behind you.
James R.
Mar 7
11 likes
It truly is no wonder that City attacked down this side when Rangnick had the ingenious idea of having McTominay play in front of Wan Bissaka. Two positionally senseless players who focus on the ball as opposed to movement.
Ollie J.
Mar 7
4 likes
The biggest worry for me is how incredibly unfit each an ever player looks. Second to every lose ball, pushed off the ball, slow to react. I think Simon Jordan may be right now and we are just paying the price of 3 years of Solskjaer
James R.
Mar 7
13 likes
@Ollie J. I said in another comment here that United are transitioning from a team where pressing was non-existent to one that does press. That is an incredibly difficult transition and it's going to result in fatigue and sloppiness. United are paying the price for 10 years of shambolic management and recruitment. Rangnick is trying to make a pressing team out of one that doesn't have a single competent midfielder and a goalkeeper who has absolutely no idea what to do other than save shots. Would be unfair to pin it on the 3 years of Ole, although his lack of coaching certainly didn't help.
Ickle M.
Mar 7
7 likes
Transitioning to a pressing side takes a couple years and a few transfer windows, offseason(s) for full implementation of conditioning & nutritional programs. ManCity & Liverpool are good examples. It ain’t easy & it takes time.
Brian M.
Mar 7
1 like
McTominay's lack of agility was painfully exposed out wide.
Lawrence O.
Mar 7
Does any real United supporter truly believe they’ll be successful with McTominay and Fred in midfield?
Peter K.
Mar 8
5 likes
‘Conditioning and nutritional’ programs, as if teams that don’t press just let their players eat takeaway every night and go to the pub. If a team of professional athletes all start getting noticeably more athletic over a period of time, that should ring a lot of alarm bells!
Joseph O.
Mar 8
3 likes
@Ickle M.

Maybe United should sign more asthmatics
They seem to press longer and run faster
Ask Liverpool
Simon C.

Once United finally managed to reduce the flow of attacks down their right, Mahrez could simply take advantage of the space vacated on the opposite side.
Ander R.

I know we have a strange squad, apparently rife with infighting and chock-full of underperforming players, but I really think Rangnick is doing a pretty poor job. I can't figure out where he gets off being so dogmatic about his weird 442 which our available personnel do not match. I thought he'd at least decided to go 433, but he apparently can't help himself. As you mention, counter attacking, probably in a deep 5212 with Fernandes between Elanga, Sancho or Rashford is something we know, from the oodles of evidence, would've potentially caused City some trouble, not to mention it gives Maguire et al a space in which they're not having to run backwards into. If any manager should be playing the hits, being pragmatic and picking the right players for the occasion, it should be the bloody interim; we will have no use for any of his undercooked Hassenhuttl-lite tactics in two months time, so it is maddening that he keeps trying it. And the idea that him going into some ill-defined "upstairs" role afterwards is a worthy price to pay is laughable.
James R.

@Ander R. He's doing a good job while also doing a bad job if that makes sense. There's definitely more of a sense of identity to the way United play now and there is pressing and a bit more discipline. The problem is that to do this for 90 minutes is extremely difficult and United are coming from a base where pressing was either non existent for most players or extremely poor for others.

If he even remotely gets the principles of a pressing team by the end of the season, he's come out mostly positive. But he does a bad job by playing the likes of Wan-Bissaka, McTominay and Fred in a midfield 2, took off Pogba yesterday which was strange.
Alexander K.
Mar 7

Yeah, I don’t know why he’s persisting with the 442 or 4222 either. The side is loaded with wide forwards who work the channels, roving midfielders, limited fullbacks, and only one positionally-aware midfielder (Matic), who can no longer play a full 90 minutes. Plus only one real 9.

The personnel were recruited for a 433 that also didn’t work because a holding midfielder was never recruited, so you ended up with a lot of 4231 and hoping for the best.

Such a shambles.

At this point I think you probably revert to the “least worst” 433 and hope for the best. At least it gives the wide forwards some space, let’s Pogba operate in the left channel he likes, and doesn’t require the fullbacks to be world beaters.

Against good teams put Matic in the hole and hope he can last 90. Put Bruno as a false 9 in the hope the front three can move around defenders enough to get a decent shot off. If it all goes wrong, put on Ronaldo or Cavani for Matic and start chucking in crosses.

Against weaker teams put Fred in the hole and tell him if he moves more than 15m from the CDs he has to do 1000 push-ups. Play Cavani as the 9 to bully the defense and have Bruno and Sancho play anywhere across the front line, specially looking to create overloads.

You probably still finish no better than 5th but you at least make the most of this team of mismatched parts.
Andrew F.

I agree with some of this. I think in a game like this RR should have been totally pragmatic and followed the Spurs game plan. They played with a bank of 5/6 and closed the half spaces and used the quick Son/Kane counter as their outlet.

Unfortunately RR tried to play his way and it kind of worked for a bit but as always we couldn't sustain. This isn't his fault, the squad isn't suited but he should have expected this to fail, we haven't managed it for 90 mins against inferior sides so against City it was pretty ambitious.

I also get the frustration about having an interim trying to impart a new system/style. BUT if they go out and employ a coach with a similar mantra then it will make total sense to start now and see who is up to it. Then we can see who we need to sell and areas of weakness.

It's painful in the short term but could have long term gains.

Of course, this all assumes that there's a clever, well thought out plan going on at board level, so I won't hold my breath... We'll know which it is when the next manager is appointed.
Karthik S.
Mar 7
3 likes
I thought it was okay for Ralf to experiment. If you look back at last season, often against big teams, we lined up to try and disrupt their gameplan and what he tried today was a continuation of sorts I felt. With regards to 4-2-2-2 or 4-4-2, I'm guessing he can only try and attempt what structure he is good at trying to quickly bring in to shape. If United heirarchy had an actual sporting director who knows what players are there and what sort of formation works to their current strength in long term, they should have appointed accordingly. But we all know the management is a bunch of clowns who have no idea what a long term plan looks like.
Tim W.

The slides are hard to follow. I really wish we could do this exact column with video because the information and analysis is so good
James P.

Question cause I see this alot, would you take dots moving around like 2d football manager or actual video? As one not in the UK it sucks when we get geolocked from items important to the story.
Could they have an intern do stop motion of each sequence with Legos? I would watch that in a heartbeat
Ben M.
Mar 7

By most accounts, the first half wasn't too bad from United. I thought we competed at least with the goals coming from Maguire not putting a proper block in and Lindelof not showing bravery and going in with his head. If that hadn't happened then it could have been a case of trying to hold out in the second half.

However the second half was a complete disaster and the gulf between the two teams was exposed on both the technical and mental sides.

What this article doesn't cover is where the second half changes came from which allowed City to dominate so much more because I think De Bruyne said they changed it up a little in the second half which allowed them to dominate.
Mr C.

Find it bizarre we didn't strengthen the middle of the park after city took a foothold.
James R.
Mar 7

@Mr C. Probably because you dont have any competent midfielders
Socrates D.
Mar 7
2 likes
I think if Varane had been there atleast one of the 2 KDB goals wouldn't happen.
Bo M.
Mar 7
Great round up as always, Michael. With United playing so narrow, could one assume they were fine with City having the ball in wide areas and crossing into the small false 9 of Foden? If so, this game plan largely worked, but United's CB's simply weren't/aren't good enough...
Michael T.
Mar 7
18 likes
Some actual analysis heaven forbid. Watching Sky last night with Keane, Richards and Redknapp was like listening to three middle aged blokes in a pub discuss the game. Roy Keane thinks they should’ve just tried harder. Whenever anyone gets beat it’s because they lack character he can’t offer up anything else. Richards offers absolutely nothing insightful at all he’s one of worst pundits Sky have employed in recent years. He tried to have a rant at Neville and just made a complete arse of himself and Redknapp isn’t much better.
Tony E.
Mar 7
9 likes
Completely agree about Richards. Offers nothing by way of constructive analysis. Nedum Onuoha offers far more and would be a far better option to offer insight.
Paul W.
Mar 7
9 likes
Richard comes across as a decent bloke and obviously a good laugh but he doesn’t offer any critical analysis whatsoever. Like you said it’s just for the laughs and craic, a lot of the pundits are stealing a living and even more so on BT.
James P.
Mar 7
1 like
Micah and carragher are actually alot of fun with Henry for the USA champions league coverage for what it's worth, it may be a BT editorial problem.
But they also do love the banter on that one.
Kunal S.
Mar 8
Redknapp’s “ if I have my Liverpool hat on I’d be disappointed that Man U didn’t try [for Liverpool]” was a real low point. after his chaos in the league cup final I wonder if Sky have told him to be more “heated” but he’s not clever enough construct an argument and appear passioned.
Nemanja B.
Mar 7
3 likes
Manchester United badly lacked two things:

1.) Players who can pass the ball precisely
2.) Raphael Varane

This is a déjà vu situation for United fans - more than a billion pounds spent for new players in the last years, yet we are in a situation where we need to sell at least 6 and buy at least 4 players.
Whoever was responsible for players (and staff) recruitment in the last 7-8 years has done one of the worst jobs ever.
Michael T.
Mar 7
4 likes
I feel sorry for anyone who has to play full back against City. They so are so clever in how the pummel you in the channel between centre back and full back and create overloads. They pin your full back with the wide player and then have players that drift into pockets around it. They are all so comfortable on the ball that it allows them to do this whereas for most teams it’s too risky that you’re completely out of shape if you lose it.

I definitely think a back 5 is the way to go against them. Then you need a Kane type player who can help you get out when you do eventually get the ball. Is there any team in the world who could actually go out and go toe to toe with them pressing them high and competing in midfield? Maybe Liverpool under the lights at Anfield perhaps but still are probably better suited to sitting a bit deeper and hitting them on the break with their pace.
Bryan S.
Mar 7
2 likes
Not a City fan by any means, but I've always loved Bernardo Silva, his technique and intelligence are superb..glad he's back to his best
Kunal S.
Mar 8
I find it so weird how Man City monstered this game but struggled to score v Everton. It’s so weird.
Colin M.
Mar 8
1 like
Why is no one mentioning that on the 2nd goal Sancho nit dropping back to cover KDB. Is that not why Telles is pointing to him. Obviously in hind sight Telles should have stepped up, but sis his responsibility nit the back post run and keeping the line flat and it looks like he is expecting Sanchez to drop and tucks in more to mark KDB.
Dheeraj B.
Mar 8
Defensively you need intensity, organization and belief in the system to get points out of city. United didn't have any of the three. They carried the ball well during counter attacks and probably should have focused on it instead of trying to build from the back and compete with city for possession
Zach Y.
Mar 8
5 likes
United actually had a very coherent plan in the 1st half, which was working reasonably well. It perturbed Pep enough that he was very animatedly shouting at multiple players to make adjustments at several points of the 1st half. Would have been nice to know what those adjustments were, as there were more of them in the 2nd half. This is kind of half an analysis.

Intriguing theory raised on one of the United fan channels was that City targeted AWB’s side because they knew that he (or McT) were going to be less likely to complete the outlet ball to Bruno, Elanga, or Pogba to start a counter than Telles. It was claimed this is a known Guardiola tactical wrinkle.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Mase » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:50 pm

Bernardo Silva reveals he wants to return to Portugal in 'one or two years' and 'would like to play for Benfica again' as Man City star admits he misses living in his homeland

I’m guessing he’ll let his contract run down and then return. A shame, but he’s given his all for the club and there’s no point keeping someone when their bird is desperate to leave the city. I’ll wish him all the best when he leaves.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby carolina-blue » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:19 pm

Mase wrote:Bernardo Silva reveals he wants to return to Portugal in 'one or two years' and 'would like to play for Benfica again' as Man City star admits he misses living in his homeland

I’m guessing he’ll let his contract run down and then return. A shame, but he’s given his all for the club and there’s no point keeping someone when their bird is desperate to leave the city. I’ll wish him all the best when he leaves.

Well said Mase , so will I - needs a statue just for his GOH with his Mug of tea lol
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Mase » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:38 pm

carolina-blue wrote:
Mase wrote:Bernardo Silva reveals he wants to return to Portugal in 'one or two years' and 'would like to play for Benfica again' as Man City star admits he misses living in his homeland

Well said Mase , so will I - needs a statue just for his GOH with his Mug of tea lol

I love how much he hates them.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Nick » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:32 pm

Benfica in his prime really..
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum