***Champions v Rags (A) | Official Match Thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Derby Day at The Swamp 6th Nov | Pre Match Thread

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:20 pm

Dimples wrote:For Saturday I would like to see us start as last night with these changes:

Diaz for Laporte
Foden (in the middle) for Gundo
Jesus for Mahrez
KDB as the false nine

Any thoughts?

I don’t get that Foden in the middle argument, I just don’t see that he’s ready for it yet.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:28 pm

london blue 2 wrote:
Dimples wrote:For Saturday I would like to see us start as last night with these changes:

Diaz for Laporte
Jesus for Mahrez
KDB as the false nine

Any thoughts?

I don’t get that Foden in the middle argument, I just don’t see that he’s ready for it yet.

Foden best performances for us have been on the left
- he should stay there IMO.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:55 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:

Diaz for Laporte
Jesus for Mahrez
KDB as the false nine

Any thoughts?

Foden best performances for us have been on the left
- he should stay there IMO.

Agreed, said the same in the other thread.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:06 pm

Does De Bruyne start? Will Guardiola stick with a false nine? Good luck predicting City’s team for the derby
RAHEEM-STERLING-MANCHESTER-CITY
By Sam Lee Nov 4, 2021 9
Manchester City’s starting XI for the derby on Saturday was hard enough to predict in the first place, and then Pep Guardiola made a load of changes in the last 20 minutes against Club Bruges that made things even more interesting.

Raheem Sterling back on the right? Gabriel Jesus back in the middle? Phil Foden back on the left? This “playing people in their proper positions” thing might catch on.

In all seriousness, they can all play everywhere, can’t they? And then throw the Kevin De Bruyne conundrum into the mix, as well as Guardiola’s appreciation of Jack Grealish’s talents.

With Bernardo Silva playing so well and Ilkay Gundogan such a Guardiola favourite, there is no way they can all fit in. And Riyad Mahrez scored again, too.

So who will get the nod?

Cancelo or Walker or Zinchenko?
The only reason there is a slight question mark about Kyle Walker is because he looked in some discomfort on Wednesday night, but as long as he is OK he will surely play at right-back.

With Aymeric Laporte suspended it will almost certainly be Ruben Dias and John Stones at centre-back, and that just leaves the left-hand side to be decided.

Given Joao Cancelo has played more minutes than any City player this season it is likely to be him. At the end of last season it was nip and tuck between him and Oleksandr Zinchenko as Guardiola seemed to deliberate between Cancelo’s attacking exploits and Zinchenko’s added element of control.

It is easy to imagine that they will change far more in the coming weeks and months, but it would be a surprise for Zinchenko to come back in for the derby.

De Bruyne or no De Bruyne?
Some big players are going to miss this game. Rodri and Bernardo seem certain to play, but beyond that it gets tricky.

Gundogan continued his return from injury in midweek and kept cropping up in the box. He is probably the best in the squad at making those runs and if Guardiola goes with a false nine then Gundogan is perfectly suited to exploiting the spaces that open up by a forward dropping deep.

But what would that mean for De Bruyne? He has looked rusty of late, with Guardiola acknowledging a couple of weeks ago that the Belgian has had two tough injuries in the past six months — the concussion in May and the ankle problem during the Euros.

At the end of last season he was moved forward into the false nine role, with Bernardo and Gundogan providing great balance in midfield, and that worked well, especially with Foden on the left hand side.

Given recent form it is harder than usual to make a case for De Bruyne to start, though Guardiola has generally always picked him when he needs to play himself into form.

His inclusion is probably the biggest question mark, but given he did not start against Brighton & Hove Albion a fortnight ago it would not be such a shock if he was named on the bench.

False nine, Sterling or something else?
If Guardiola goes for the false nine, which he has done in the majority of games recently and did so against Chelsea and Liverpool, then he has countless options. Bernardo, De Bruyne and Mahrez have all done it against United and Foden has been the go-to option of late.

But maybe things changed in the last 20 minutes against Club Bruges. The game was much more open by then — far more so than it is likely to be against United — but there seemed to be something promising about Sterling on the left, in particular.
MANCHESTER-CITY-CHANGES
Jesus, second from left, and Sterling, behind Cancelo, came on to score in the closing stages against Club Bruges (Photo: LINDSEY PARNABY/AFP via Getty Images)
At the start of the season Guardiola made it clear that Jesus makes movements more suited to the false nine role than a traditional striker, although he had not played as a false nine.

It was almost refreshing to see him back in the middle on Wednesday, but a weak one-on-one finish was a reminder of why he might be being used out wide, before he atoned for that with a tougher finish from the left. Sterling dithered on a chance soon after coming on, but then was in the right place to tap home his goal. Those two really were playing the hits.

Jesus has been first choice on the right in recent weeks, having started the season with fine performances in terms of chance creation and assists against Norwich City and Arsenal. He has been a little less eye-catching in recent weeks, but his work rate off the ball has been noticeable, particularly against Chelsea and Liverpool, and it is easy to see Guardiola going for that against United.

If Sterling does not play on the right he could be used as more of a traditional striker and trouble United with his runs in behind, or maybe he could come off the bench to do that like he did at Anfield. He made a case to start on the right, but so did Mahrez.

The former Leicester City forward has had to make do with Champions League and Carabao Cup games this season, but with another European goal — his fourth in four games — he may have played himself into contention.

That said, it seems preferable to play at least one winger on their natural side, lest things go back to the “inverted winger” days of last year.

Guardiola likes what he has seen from Grealish so far in terms of his work rate, positioning, use of the ball and how he attracts men towards him and finds free men, namely Cancelo and Rodri.

He has kept Sterling at bay and it would be no surprise to see him keep his place at Old Trafford, with Foden through the middle. Maybe Grealish plays as a false nine with Foden on the left, like at Anfield. If Foden does not play as the false nine — say Sterling plays, or De Bruyne — then he will surely move to the left, with Grealish dropping out.

Honestly, who knows? From this point of view, at least, it seems tempting to suggest the line-up will be: Ederson, Walker, Stones, Dias, Cancelo, Rodri, Gundogan, Bernardo, Grealish, Foden, Jesus.

But suddenly Sterling seems like an exciting option on the right again, and Mahrez cannot be easily overlooked. And then there’s De Bruyne and whoever misses out if he plays.

The false nine system is so common these days that it is harder for Guardiola to catch everybody by surprise, but it would be fun if he gave it a go. There are enough options.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Kippax Sean » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:39 pm

Embarrass the scumbags, they are shit and we need to go out there with that attitude. Take no prisoners and if any player doesn't have 100% passion think of us working class fans and put yourself in our shoes, blood and sweat, nothing less. Come on City!
Kippax Sean
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Kun Aguero / Neil mcnab

Postby blues2win » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:56 pm

Walker a doubt for Saturday. We really need his pace to cover Counter attacks. Cancelo on the Right and Zinchenko on the Left won’t be the same.
blues2win
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Nick » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:17 am

Mase wrote:
linwood wrote:
Meanwhile:

Pep Guardiola: "People took the piss for the fact I said today is more important than (Manchester) United - and it was. Now, the most important game ever is United." [via @spbajko]

Thanks for posting this. No one else has and I wondered if anyone would post it.

Did he actually say that by the way or a joke? Assumed a joke.
Nick
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Dimples » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:36 am

Nick wrote:
Mase wrote:
linwood wrote:
Meanwhile:

Pep Guardiola: "People took the piss for the fact I said today is more important than (Manchester) United - and it was. Now, the most important game ever is United." [via @spbajko]

Thanks for posting this. No one else has and I wondered if anyone would post it.

Did he actually say that by the way or a joke? Assumed a joke.

He said it.
Really entertaining, he was in a foul mood.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby Green & Blue » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:50 am

All of a sudden I’m feeling very nervous about this one, just really want to beat them and beat them well.

We badly need the 3 points with Chelsea going so well and just don’t think I could stomach another sickening result against an inferior Ole side.

The pressure is really on for the Rags, they desperately need a good result or the fans could go full Norwich on us again.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:00 pm

Scum at the swamp playing counter attack as long as we score which we always do in the early kick offs the best record at the swamp continues. Remove any tranny headlines FFS, it would be unbearable. They are a shambles with a goal
Machine upfront, The scousers we’re in second gear but the scum missed 3 absolute sitters my rag mates tell me
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mase » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:15 pm

Bernardo Silva insists he is happy at Manchester City despite being unable to secure a move out of the club in the summer.

Midfielder Bernardo was one of 'four' City players Pep Guardiola said wanted to leave, but no move materialised and the Portuguese international instead remained at the Etihad.

He has shown no signs of sulking, however, with a brilliant start to the season which has included two club Player of the Month awards and some sensational performances in midfield, in particular against Liverpool.

However, reports of a departure in January or next summer remain frequent in the gossip columns.

Speaking to Sky Sports ahead of the trip to Manchester United on Saturday lunchtime, Bernardo said he loves playing for City, and that his relationship with the supporters and people within the club has never been at risk.

“I'm feeling happy right now. I love the club, I've always loved the club," he said, without ruling out he could look to leave again in the future.

"I feel the love from the fans, from the staff and from my team-mates and that was never the question."

I really wish he’d just admit his bird wants him to move. I’ve never cried when a player has left City, but I might when Bern leaves.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby PeterParker » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:48 pm

Mase wrote:I really wish he’d just admit his bird wants him to move. I’ve never cried when a player has left City, but I might when Bern leaves.

Umm ...

PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Mase » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:52 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Mase wrote:I really wish he’d just admit his bird wants him to move. I’ve never cried when a player has left City, but I might when Bern leaves.

Umm ...

There’s a restraining order in place. I’m not allowed to mention his name.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:02 pm

Mase wrote:Bernardo Silva insists he is happy at Manchester City despite being unable to secure a move out of the club in the summer.

Midfielder Bernardo was one of 'four' City players Pep Guardiola said wanted to leave, but no move materialised and the Portuguese international instead remained at the Etihad.

He has shown no signs of sulking, however, with a brilliant start to the season which has included two club Player of the Month awards and some sensational performances in midfield, in particular against Liverpool.

However, reports of a departure in January or next summer remain frequent in the gossip columns.

Speaking to Sky Sports ahead of the trip to Manchester United on Saturday lunchtime, Bernardo said he loves playing for City, and that his relationship with the supporters and people within the club has never been at risk.

“I'm feeling happy right now. I love the club, I've always loved the club," he said, without ruling out he could look to leave again in the future.

"I feel the love from the fans, from the staff and from my team-mates and that was never the question."

I really wish he’d just admit his bird wants him to move. I’ve never cried when a player has left City, but I might when Bern leaves.

Maybe because he doesn’t want to put her in the firing line from disgruntled fans .
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby zuricity » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:03 pm

^^^^^^

Whilst the above information about the Rags makes for an interesting read. The assumption that the entity is worth 2.6 billion - well it is just that - an assumption.

No oil tycoon will pay that kind of money to the Glasers.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:49 pm

We can’t fuckign lose to them again - we just can’t .

They are fucking shit.
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Original Dub » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:05 pm

Today's presser - nice explanation when asked about the emotion of derby day compared to other games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45UiZ9Y ... el=ManCity
"Alvarez haters must be squirming"
Original Dub
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Haaland

Postby salford city » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:26 pm

Original Dub wrote:Today's presser - nice explanation when asked about the emotion of derby day compared to other games:

Never normally watch these. Thats two ive watched today. What a bunch of twats these are. That fucking woman changed tack on her 2nd question didnt she? Fucking goons the lot of them. I dont understand why he feels obliged to answer some of the nonsense but looking at his face and body language its quite obvious what he thinks of them and their constant red agendas
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Mase » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:28 pm

salford city wrote:
Original Dub wrote:Today's presser - nice explanation when asked about the emotion of derby day compared to other games:

Never normally watch these. Thats two ive watched today. What a bunch of twats these are. That fucking woman changed tack on her 2nd question didnt she? Fucking goons the lot of them. I dont understand why he feels obliged to answer some of the nonsense but looking at his face and body language its quite obvious what he thinks of them and their constant red agendas

Some of the questions are ridiculous. That one on Wednesday “you’ve got a good squad haven’t you Pep” - what the fuck does the interviewer want him to say? “No, they’re all dog shit!”
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:35 pm

Mase wrote:
salford city wrote:

Some of the questions are ridiculous. That one on Wednesday “you’ve got a good squad haven’t you Pep” - what the fuck does the interviewer want him to say? “No, they’re all dog shit!”

Now Mendy is in jail we have a very good squad .
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum